Iodine and Potassium Iodide

dugdeep said:
I'm wondering how much I can trust the readings I'm getting from the muscle testing. Why would I get a positive reading for 3 drops when that would obviously mobilize enough metals to get these symptoms? Although the symptoms certainly weren't that uncomfortable, I was under the impression that ideally one has very little in the way of symptoms while doing this protocol. Maybe my body is telling me I need to power through it?

I had plenty of negative reactions while taking things based on muscle testing results from an applied kinesiologist. The results were always positive in the end, but there were still times when I had to endure a variety of negative symptoms for varying periods of time. I think generally with detoxing and killing pathogens, there's probably no completely painless way out (though it's certainly possible to overdo it and make things a lot worse).

As for Krill oil, there's a wide range in the quality of supplements and some definitely appear to be very low quality (even if a high price doesn't reflect the low quality). I personally used this brand with great results:

_http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Labs-Krill-Oil-Antarctic/dp/B004TBCT4G/

One to two capsules per day would probably be enough for the average person; one might need more for more severe inflammation. It's pretty reasonably priced for the quality when compared to a number of other brands, and I suspect even to fish oil (if you're taking 6-12 capsules per day), since you'll be taking a lot less.

I think Mercola claimed that Krill oil was 54x more powerful in terms of being an anti-inflammatory than regular fish oil, which I didn't believe at the time of hearing that claim--after trying it myself, I think that might be an accurate claim.

dugdeep said:
I'm wondering how much I can trust the readings I'm getting from the muscle testing. Why would I get a positive reading for 3 drops when that would obviously mobilize enough metals to get these symptoms? Although the symptoms certainly weren't that uncomfortable, I was under the impression that ideally one has very little in the way of symptoms while doing this protocol. Maybe my body is telling me I need to power through it?

The night you came back and got the 1 drop response, it was pretty definitive from your muscle responses what yes and no were. But the second night was a little more difficult to tell. Your yes and no responses weren't so easy to tell apart and I may have aired on the side of yes rather then no when I wasn't 100% sure. :-[

But it seems that you muscle through and nuke it if it's an actual sickness or flu-like symptoms but keep the dosage low or none at all if it's metal detox reactions.

dugdeep said:
I think a lot of the information out there about fish oil is more a result of companies trying to boost their own products as superior and unique more than actual science on the subject. If fish oil is in a sealed dark bottle, there's no reason to refrigerate it. Remember that these oils can't oxidize if they're not in the presence of oxygen. Also note that most reputable fish oil manufacturers will add antioxidants to the oil to protect them from oxidation - this can include vitamin E (tocopherols), green tea extract, astaxanthin, rosemary extract, etc.

Also, note that "fishy burps" can often be more a result of a deficient digestive system rather than a sign the fish oil was rancid in the first place. People suffering from a fishy burp problem often do better if they take the fish oil with a digestive enzyme including bile and HCl. Also, keep in mind that the "fishy burp" phenomenon is something that's happening in the stomach, not lower digestion where the oils will actually be absorbed, so it likely has little to do with absorption, OSIT.

The info on krill oil is interesting, but in my limited experience with it I found the capsules had a strong fishy smell to them, making me thing they were possibly rancid. This may have just been a leaking capsule in the batch somewhere, though. I've experimenting with this product which comes from herring roe and is promoted as a cheaper yet superior product to krill oil.

My 2 cents

Thanks for bringing some more sense to the matter Dug, I agree that most of the pro and con is noise and competing factions. This is true for so much that goes on in the alt med. world, I suppose we shouldn't be surprise. Researching the mercury business was rather crazy-making, so much conflicting information, dire warnings from one side about taking something, exuberant advocacy for taking the same thing from another side. :rolleyes:

I think our pets are iodine deprived too. My dog has suffered recently from extreme sensitivity to flea bites and endlessly biting and licking himself. I put 2 drops in his water bowl and after a few days all cleared up with no skin inflammation at all. My cat shares the same water bowl and he has way more energy now.

I have dropped my dose due to muscle testing to 50mg lugols iodine per day (7 drops) due to longstanding health problems. I have felt great on iodine with a few foggy headed days at the start, but now more vitality.

I have also found that I muscle test weak with most of the vitamins in the health food store and about 20 percent make me strong. I have found brewers yeast very good, but the taste is horrible.

Sorry to hear people are having a tough time on iodine, but you should go with your intuition and try muscle testing with a partner to see what your body wants. (The question needs to be clearly articulated first).

dugdeep said:
I think a lot of the information out there about fish oil is more a result of companies trying to boost their own products as superior and unique more than actual science on the subject. If fish oil is in a sealed dark bottle, there's no reason to refrigerate it. Remember that these oils can't oxidize if they're not in the presence of oxygen. Also note that most reputable fish oil manufacturers will add antioxidants to the oil to protect them from oxidation - this can include vitamin E (tocopherols), green tea extract, astaxanthin, rosemary extract, etc.

Also, note that "fishy burps" can often be more a result of a deficient digestive system rather than a sign the fish oil was rancid in the first place. People suffering from a fishy burp problem often do better if they take the fish oil with a digestive enzyme including bile and HCl. Also, keep in mind that the "fishy burp" phenomenon is something that's happening in the stomach, not lower digestion where the oils will actually be absorbed, so it likely has little to do with absorption, OSIT.
My refrigerator broke down a few weeks ago and when I woke up one morning the temperature was pretty much warm inside. There was a brown bottle of fish oil that I took regularly which was kept in there, but I thought nothing of it. The temperature of the bottle had risen quite a lot from it's usual temperature, and I was unable to replace the refrigerator for a week. So I carried on taking this fish oil each day, and suddenly I experienced the onset of "fishy burps". So I researched, and came across both explanations - 1. The fish oil is rancid. and 2. Digestive system is unable to process the oil properly. The problem is, I have been taking this oil for a long time, and have never experienced fishy burps - until my refrigerator broke and my bottle was exposed to higher temperatures. I could be totally wrong and this may have been merely a coincidence, but I haven't noticed any major changes in my ability to digest other foods as of late, so I am unsure about it. This is the main reason I would lean towards blaming rancidity, but all in all, there is not much to back it up other than my own experience.

Anyway, cheers for pointing that out dug. Because come to think about it... most articles out there online are promoting at least one brand/product of oil that claims to be the best. Obviously it is naive to take everything on face value without digging deep and actually examining the research for yourself.

Keyhole said:
dugdeep said:

My refrigerator broke down a few weeks ago and when I woke up one morning the temperature was pretty much warm inside. There was a brown bottle of fish oil that I took regularly which was kept in there, but I thought nothing of it. The temperature of the bottle had risen quite a lot from it's usual temperature, and I was unable to replace the refrigerator for a week. So I carried on taking this fish oil each day, and suddenly I experienced the onset of "fishy burps". So I researched, and came across both explanations - 1. The fish oil is rancid. and 2. Digestive system is unable to process the oil properly. The problem is, I have been taking this oil for a long time, and have never experienced fishy burps - until my refrigerator broke and my bottle was exposed to higher temperatures. I could be totally wrong and this may have been merely a coincidence, but I haven't noticed any major changes in my ability to digest other foods as of late, so I am unsure about it. This is the main reason I would lean towards blaming rancidity, but all in all, there is not much to back it up other than my own experience.

I think in your case it was probably because the oil was rancid. It would be quite a coincidence that you started having issues digesting fats at the exact same time that your refrigerator broke! I only meant in the above that the presence of fishy burps doesn't necessarily mean the oil is rancid. In your case, it probably was exactly because of that :)

But I have to say, even though you probably know this now, once the bottle is opened you really need to keep fish oil refrigerated! Rereading what I wrote above, I realize I may not have been clear - once the manufacturers seal is broken, the oil really has to be kept in the fridge. In the case you mentioned, Keyhole, I would definitely have thrown out the whole bottle after about a day at room temp.

Anyway, cheers for pointing that out dug. Because come to think about it... most articles out there online are promoting at least one brand/product of oil that claims to be the best. Obviously it is naive to take everything on face value without digging deep and actually examining the research for yourself.

Heh, I see what you did there :D

When I first got involved in the health industry, I naively assumed that most of the product manufacturers out there were well-intentioned and wanted to help people. Now I always read claims with some skepticism; I've encountered some real snakes in the industry (the links istina posted above are a good example of what lows some companies will stoop to in order to trash the competition). There are certainly good companies out there, and some genuine people who are doing the right thing. It's worth the effort, though, to do some research to find the good guys, or find an impartial resource who can point you in the right direction. And good companies will provide literature, 3rd party testing and other resources to back up their claims. Don't be afraid to ask them for it :)

Last 7 days in milligrams:
62.5 / 81.25 / 100 / 125 / 150 / 200 / 300

The 300mg was about half an hour ago. Still no observable reactions. Does anybody have an idea what dose would be needed to kill all viruses, parasites, etc.?
Only 3 days left before I have to get back to work, and I don't wanna continue these high doses after that, so I'd like to be reasonably sure I've killed everything that should be killed by the end of this weekend.
I have no idea what to think about the lack of any reaction, especially when so many people here went haywire after as little as 2 drops.

Details of the progress here: http://mandatory-intellectomy.eu.pn/iodine.htm

Mandatory Intellectomy said:

The 300mg was about half an hour ago. Still no observable reactions. Does anybody have an idea what dose would be needed to kill all viruses, parasites, etc.?
Only 3 days left before I have to get back to work, and I don't wanna continue these high doses after that, so I'd like to be reasonably sure I've killed everything that should be killed by the end of this weekend.
I have no idea what to think about the lack of any reaction, especially when so many people here went haywire after as little as 2 drops.

Have you read the whole thread? Those doses are VERY high and you definitely need to stop and read the whole thread before continuing. It is nowhere near as simple as just taking a heroic dose and nuking everything.

It's possible (based on research posted here) that for the first two weeks iodine is taken up by the thyroid and other glands and excess excreted. Only after that 2 week period is it made available for other cellular work like detoxing. So you're probably not going to "kill all viruses" during the first 2 weeks.

Unless you know exactly how toxified you are, I would warn against taking high doses after the 2 week mark, because you will probably provoke a serious detox reaction.

You could go ahead and try to "kill all viruses" by continuing this high dose for 1 month, but you run the risk of not being able to go to work after the 2 week mark. Even if you aren't very toxified, it's unlikely that you can "kill all viruses" in your body in a short time without a significant herx reaction.

This is more of a marathon than a sprint, so the advice is to take it slowly.

@Carl
Yes, I have read the whole thread. I started with 2 drops, and slowly built up from there over the period of 4 weeks, as clearly detailed in my log.
So far the only reason why people "needed to stop" was because they were having negative reactions.
I've only been increasing the doses because I'm not getting any reactions whatsoever.
Also there have been a number of people who went to much higher doses (as much as 6 grams) without problems, which I'm sure you have noticed if you've read the whole thread.
So why exactly do I "need to stop"?

@Joe
I slowly went up to 50mg during the first 3 weeks, and then I only started raising over that because 1. nothing was happening, and 2. this was my only week out of work, so the only chance to try "nuking" doses.
So from everything I've read, I should be at a point where the Iodine is available for other things than the thyroid.
To be honest, I would welcome some detox reactions, because then at least I would know that something is happening.
As for the killing, I figured that since I'm not getting any detox reactions, I might as well give it a high dose while I still can sit it out at home.
I'm even considering taking another (though much smaller) dose later today, just to get to a point of any reaction, so that I have an idea of where I stand.
Ultimately, I'm OK with getting some herx reaction even up to when I have to get back to work. I've never taken a sick leave in my life. I'm used to suffering through a work day with very bad headaches and common flu-like stuff. I just hoped I'd be able to provoke such a reaction while I'm at home. Honestly, I didn't expect to get to 200mg. I didn't even consider going above 100 to be probable, but here I am with 300 and still nothing happening.
You yourself have been a sort of a guinea pig (or so it seems), and I have no problem going in that direction. I'm used to suffering, and I can take it if need be. I've been as careful and methodical as I could. In retrospect, I wish I had increased the doses sooner and faster. Then maybe I would know something by now.
At this point, I will be more annoyed if nothing happens than if something unpleasant does.

@Carl
Yes, I have read the whole thread. I started with 2 drops, and slowly built up from there over the period of 4 weeks, as clearly detailed in my log.
So far the only reason why people "needed to stop" was because they were having negative reactions.
I've only been increasing the doses because I'm not getting any reactions whatsoever.
Also there have been a number of people who went to much higher doses (as much as 6 grams) without problems, which I'm sure you have noticed if you've read the whole thread.
So why exactly do I "need to stop"?

Sorry I didn't mean to word it like that. But the effects of the dosing can build momentum over time. You ramped up to a very high dose quite fast, and you might suddenly get some very negative reactions after continuing for a while longer.

Since you are up to date then you are forewarned about all this - I was working under the assumption that you, like many others, jumped in the deep end without knowing. Good luck and I hope you have no problems.

Thanks, Carl.

There is one question that has crystallized in my mind thinking this through from all angles. In the light of this:

(L) So, Instead of backing off like this other book says you should do, she just went full bore whole hog and nuked 'em. Is that advisable?
A: Indeed. The battle is difficult to win if you keep supplying the "critters" with food and energy.

I'm wondering about the approach to viruses/parsites, rather than detox.
It has been made clear that for detox, one should find a sort of ceiling where the detox reactions become too much and then keep it a bit below that, detoxing slowly over time.

But does that work for the critters? My impression has been that low dosing over time won't do the trick in that regard, as hinted by the Cs there.
Maybe I've missed something. If critters can also be killed when taking it slowly, then I don't mind doing just that. (Though I would still like to find my own "ceiling" to have an idea where I stand.) But it seemed to me like they just really need a more lethal dose at once. Can anybody shed more light on that?

Thanks, Carl.

There is one question that has crystallized in my mind thinking this through from all angles. In the light of this:

(L) So, Instead of backing off like this other book says you should do, she just went full bore whole hog and nuked 'em. Is that advisable?
A: Indeed. The battle is difficult to win if you keep supplying the "critters" with food and energy.

I'm wondering about the approach to viruses/parsites, rather than detox.
It has been made clear that for detox, one should find a sort of ceiling where the detox reactions become too much and then keep it a bit below that, detoxing slowly over time.

But does that work for the critters? My impression has been that low dosing over time won't do the trick in that regard, as hinted by the Cs there.
Maybe I've missed something. If critters can also be killed when taking it slowly, then I don't mind doing just that. (Though I would still like to find my own "ceiling" to have an idea where I stand.) But it seemed to me like they just really need a more lethal dose at once. Can anybody shed more light on that?

Taking it slowly was due to the large difference in body types and issues and therefore the inability to give general advice. Now that we know more about what you've been doing with iodine, it seems you're able to take pretty high doses, and yes, if the goal is only to kill viruses etc. and there is no need for caution with heavy metal detox, then taking the 'nuclear' approach seems like the way to do. So...carry on!

In your blog you note that your iodine was "almost ridiculously cheap" and you were "suspicions about whether it's even real" and that it had no effect on you.

You may want to try a known reliable brand, or make your own.

NewMexicoArt said:
You may want to try a known reliable brand, or make your own.

Might be something to consider if this gets me nowhere, but to be honest, I don't think there's anything wrong with my Lugol's solution. The colour, smell, taste, staining of the skin... none of it seems off.

I think it's something about my metabolism. Like I said, I almost never have any immediate reactions to anything. Like with all the other supplements. I've never taken a new supplement and felt any change within the next day or two... or more. And if I feel something after a few weeks or months, it's impossible to tell exactly what was responsible for it. The only effect I can attest to is bowel tolerance for high doses of Vitamin C.

Unfortunately this goes for painkillers, too. During over 30 years of bad migraines, I've tried at least 10 different painkillers, including 1200 mg of Ibuprofen (which is about the strongest thing they can sell me in a pharmacy), with no effect on the pain or anything else.

What's more, I can actually eat a slice of bread (not that I do that these days, but it's been tried a few times before) with no reactions despite having the Celiac disease. Don't ask me why. The doctors don't know either.

So for now, I'll just continue and... "wait and see".

Back
Top Bottom