Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

momo said:
Thanks for all the tips, HifromGrace!

Just a little note on:

HifromGrace said:
If I only have chicken bones for the batch (we just chuck em in the freezer after each meal to accumulate for a future broth), I find that I rarely get gelatin. Donno why, it still puzzles me. But you only need to cook it for one day for a rich broth with chicken.

and:

Hildegarda said:
HifromGrace said:
If I only have chicken bones for the batch (we just chuck em in the freezer after each meal to accumulate for a future broth), I find that I rarely get gelatin. Donno why, it still puzzles me.

fwiw, I get the gelatinized broth from organic free-range chicken bones but not from regular chicken. I guess it is the "you are what you eat" thing for the bird. Also, the regular store-bought chicken is usually injected with saline or some kind of enzyme solution to artificially plump it up. I wonder if that does something to the bones as well.

Do you, HifromGrace, cook the chicken with the bone before freezing the leftover bones? (Since you write that you freeze them after the meal.) If so, that might be a reason for less or no gelatine?

The chicken's life, like Hildegarda already wrote, has a strong influence as well, so it makes sense to look for organic free-range. Just a little glimpse into the chicken-farming-industry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZteKtVwwAOo&feature=related

Hope that helps...

Greetings!

Hi there, cool to hear from you (plural)!

Just as clarifications - we eat about 90% free-range & don't freeze the conventional bones. I've been veryyyy suspicous of that too.

I appreciate the helpful note though, I think it's very useful for others to be reminded of that too. Far less nutrition & more toxic things & anguish in conventional meat. But at home we focus on keeping sane about staying within our budget, and emotionally sane about not getting too grossed out when we do have to buy conventional meat.

But anyway, I may be using too much water too (the flip side is to reduce it, cook it down more, to get more flavor out). I do find that when we bake breasts (which only come w/out skin here) I get oddles of what seems to be gelitin... and the running joke as a kid was that marshmallows are made out of hooves, so I don't get it. One day I'll research it to satisfy my curiosity. When I do mixed bones, the broth is always thick.

Also, I misspoke - we freeze the bones after eating the meat off of them the first time - after it's boiled we throw them out. Perhaps I'll start planting them under the berry tree/bushes... I've heard they crave calcium...? My mother used to dig in the craps from processing the fish we caught - holy guacamole did those trees LOVE it!

I'm really into all these tips on how to get a system started - for me, that's always the hardest part of a transition - it's not the mental decision of weighing out facts, it's the day to day details. I can be as gung-ho as I want... but it's not worth a hill of beans if it's not information I can use in my present lifestyle (which is working mom with a small child & husband travels for work, ie, need efficiencies).

For example, since switching to Paleo, we grill meat & veggies for the whole week, and make a huge pre prepped salad & dressing so that we constantly have something quick & easy to grab and chuck in a pan with my quickie fake sause.

Ohhh, I have to add another funny - so last night I was telling my husband about how I gave him props for hammering all the bones - he also wanted me to leave a note to the person who's husband can't stand the smell, "Just wait until you have to clean the stove when it's done! (insert rolled eyes!)".

For the bloody life of me I cannot keep it from overflowing at some point in the process of boiling or straining! We've got a sense of humor about it though ;) (by "we" I mean him, since he's the one that keeps the thing clean!)

But if you're using an electric crock pot, a great tip is to grab an extention cord and put it in a back hall, or room that has a door you can shut and window you can open (or garage?). It's phenominal for keeping the stink down - also for keeping the heat at bay if it's summer.

A tip for the winter, to cool it down, stick it in the snow outside - but put a weight on it, or tape it down good, if you have animals around. One time racoons cleared out a whole pot on me!!!!!!! As with all my other tips, they've all been learned the hard way, LOL! I feel like I could also write a blog about what not to do about composting too, ESH!!!!!

Anyway, a note about keeping the pot on the stove for extensive periods of time & exersising common sense about fire safety.

It's on super low after getting it to a boil, so that's comforting. Whoever gets up in the middle of the night has to check it for low water & add it if necessary, but keep it on low, don't bother to jack it up to a full boil in the middle of the night (we leave the light on as a visual reminder to check on it) - just keep in mind that it is a possiblity to burn up food at the bottom and have it smoke, just like any dish. I also remove all dish rags that are even on the oven handle, remove any paper towels that a breeze could bring near the flames. And frankly, I move a fire alarm to the shelf closest to it.

I generally run a batch on the weekends (since I like to do a two day boil) when we're usually puttering around the house. If the whole family has to leave for an errand or whatnot, we turn it off, even if it's a 10 minute errand, I'm not taking any chances. Also, no way on earth could it cool down enough to start to spoil in that time, even in an hour it's still way too hot to rot or even refridgerate anyway. That's a timing thing too to be cognisent of, giving it a couple hours to cool down - as in don't turn it off right before you leave for work.

But if you're doing a quick batch and are consuming those nutritious chunky things - you can quite easily do it all in a night. Personally, it's too much to ask of me to eat those bits. I can have some suspension of disbelief if it's just a little floating in there that I don't have to chew, but past that, nope (although hubby LOVES eating all that).

The blender/food processer is a fabulous idea that someone mentioned! But again, for me, it's outside of what my lifestlye can handle (I know I know, seems unreasonable doesn't it) - scrubbing out the huge pot & slimy utensils is all I can handle. An electrical thing that I have to take the blades out, etc, would just sit on the counter getting the stink eye for a week, and would tip the scales to resentment about this whole project.

I only mention so that people are realistic and not to hard on themselves when undertaking this - it IS a project. Do what you can, don't try to be perfect about it, make it a positive experience. Ok, no two ways around it, it's gross, but it still can be fun(-ish)! Last year I happened to be making a batch on Halloween weekend... it was simple perfect, I was telling my little boy this Native American skeleton story, and would ceremoniously (& playfully, mind you) stir the pot showing bones and scraping them along the sides. It was a "good one!" I still giggle about it!

Hi HifromGrace,

I enjoyed your post :)

About those gelatinous chicken breasts. I was in the catering trade for a number of years and discovered that it is your typical profit motive kicking in. The breasts are sold by weight, so they're very often pumped with a brine solution to plump them up and make them heavier. They make an awul mess in a productive kitchen. You have no idea how mad I used to get - and how often I changed suppliers. :(

Richard said:
Hi HifromGrace,

I enjoyed your post :)

About those gelatinous chicken breasts. I was in the catering trade for a number of years and discovered that it is your typical profit motive kicking in. The breasts are sold by weight, so they're very often pumped with a brine solution to plump them up and make them heavier. They make an awul mess in a productive kitchen. You have no idea how mad I used to get - and how often I changed suppliers. :(

Thanks for the info Richard, MUCH appreicated!

Even though it's "only" brine, it disturbes me (I'm huge on filtering the toxins out of water).

BTW, these are the Whole Foods brand, probably their Amish free range, but they go to standard processing. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.... They're freakishly large anyway. But again, we buy them on sale and freeze them for a rainy day. Like I alluded to, it's tough for me to keep it in perspective/balance (not freaking out about how gross conventional food is when we only use it on a limited basis).

Time to budget in whole chickens from the farm, sold seasonally in bulk at ours.... (We were able to locate a free deep freezer last fall, and saved up to buy a half pig: organic, free range & local. Reserved a 1/4 cow for this fall. Pricey to come up with the big chunk of money & down payment - but a better price all around, and you get to micro-manage the cuts, including asking for nitrate-free smoking, from the local meat processor which is a hoot. Feels sooo good to have a steady supply of food at hand!)

P.S. - Glad I made you smile with my rambles!

This experiment is proving to be a bit of a bumpy ride, it is quite interesting. I usually feel great on my workout day, and then the day after I feel depleted and much less energetic. Maybe I am working out too hard or too often. I will reduce the volume of sets/reps and see if that makes any difference, as it is becoming quite an inconvenience.

Today wasn't planned to be a fasting day, but I ended up only eating my breakfast of sausage and bacon and then having a 6 hour shift in work with no food. I felt absolutely drained and mildly depressed when I got home, and just wanted to crash out and dissociate. However I had some bone broth, beef mince, mackrel and a few pistachios with a cup of tea at around 6 pm and I feel much better now. I also sat and did PoTS for about 15 minutes, so I think that helped too.

I think I have gone over my protein allowance for today though, because I was just so hungry when I came home. I think the ideal time to fast, for me at least, is after 2-3PM otherwise my energy levels just go down too much during the day. This could also be caused by the stressful environment of working in a fast food place though, it's hard to say.

Maybe after I adapt more fully I will be able to fast for longer without negative effects. There are a lot of factors that may be coming into play and it will take time and experimentation to narrow down exactly which ones lead to which results. It is frustrating having such a muddy picture of what is happening, but I think progress is being made, and hey, learning is fun :).

One thing that is improving is my ability to self remember, breath deeply and not lose sight of the bigger picture. My energy levels are fluctuating but my mood is becoming more and more stable, and I seem to be gaining more control over my mood and the 'predator'. Simple acts like avoiding bad food, putting down the nuts after only a few, or jumping straight into a freezing cold shower are becoming easier, and I am getting better at just generally breathing deeply and doing what needs to be done, rather than wasting energy on frustration and self pity.

I think that if we just reduce protein on alternate days and have it slightly above that minimal amount, it might stabilize things. That's what I'm trying.

Apologies if I misunderstood some of you, but it seems to me that a few members are planning on fasting every second day or so. As I understand it, this is not necessary if you are doing the protein restriction, 0 or almost 0 carbs every day, and more fat. Fasting is only needed for some, to reduce the time it takes to get into ketosis. Just FYI, in case some of you are being too strict. No need. If you want to do some fasting, you can eat your last meal of the day at around 5 or 6 pm, and then not eat anything until breakfast. That is more than enough IMO, if you stick to the diet the rest of the time.

Fasting once a week might be ok, but I still don't really see any need for that if one is sticking to the diet every day. And working out every second day seems to help a lot in the process.

Ailén said:
Apologies if I misunderstood some of you, but it seems to me that a few members are planning on fasting every second day or so. As I understand it, this is not necessary if you are doing the protein restriction, 0 or almost 0 carbs every day, and more fat. Fasting is only needed for some, to reduce the time it takes to get into ketosis. Just FYI, in case some of you are being too strict. No need. If you want to do some fasting, you can eat your last meal of the day at around 5 or 6 pm, and then not eat anything until breakfast. That is more than enough IMO, if you stick to the diet the rest of the time.

Fasting once a week might be ok, but I still don't really see any need for that if one is sticking to the diet every day. And working out every second day seems to help a lot in the process.

Yes it appears I have got two different concepts muddled up and am being too harsh on my body. I will focus less on actual fasting for now, and just do the alternate day protein restriction and eating my last meal early, hopefully things will stabilise.

I wonder is it better to have the protein restriction on workout day or on the off day? I seem to work out better when I have eaten less, but perhaps the body needs the protein more on that day for repair?

Ailén said:

To be honest, I have been a bit confused! I thought maybe I'd missed something in the thread. So just to clarify a bit further... Does protein restriction refer to eating less protein than your recommended amount on your fasting day and only the recommended amount on your non-fasting day? i.e. not exceeding your recommended amount on any day? (Hope that makes sense :))

Don Genaro said:
Ailén said:

To be honest, I have been a bit confused! I thought maybe I'd missed something in the thread. So just to clarify a bit further... Does protein restriction refer to eating less protein than your recommended amount on your fasting day and only the recommended amount on your non-fasting day? i.e. not exceeding your recommended amount on any day? (Hope that makes sense :))

As far as I understand it protein restriction means eating within the limits of how much protein your body should get. I.e. if you are 60 kilos it is about 90 grams of proteins. And on a fasting day it is still the same, so no more restrictions :). Nonetheless the goal is to eat less protein, but this may need time until the body gets adjusted to tolerate more fat.

Gawan said:
Don Genaro said:
Ailén said:

As far as I understand it protein restriction means eating within the limits of how much protein your body should get. I.e. if you are 60 kilos it is about 90 grams of proteins. And on a fasting day it is still the same, so no more restrictions :). Nonetheless the goal is to eat less protein, but this may need time until the body gets adjusted to tolerate more fat.

Pretty much. Eat the measured amount on the restriction/semi-fasting day, and you can have a tad more on the alternate days. Please! No hard core fasting or regular fasting or anything like that! Even on the so-called "fast" days, you are supposed to be eating your correct amount of protein and having bone broth for extra minerals and fat!

Laura said:
I think that if we just reduce protein on alternate days and have it slightly above that minimal amount, it might stabilize things. That's what I'm trying.

On the subject of protein intake, I found this via facebook a couple days ago regarding gluconeogenesis:

_http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html

If You Eat Excess Protein, Does It Turn Into Glucose?
We have seen the claim that any protein you eat in excess of your immediate needs will be turned into glucose by spontaneous gluconeogenesis ¹. (Gluconeogenesis (GNG) is the process by which glucose is made out of protein in the liver and kidneys.) Some people think that because protein can be turned into glucose, it will, once other needs are taken care of, and that therefore keto dieters should be careful not to eat too much protein.

While we believe there are valid reasons for limiting protein intake, experimental evidence does not support this one. In our opinion, it makes sense physiologically for GNG to be a demand-driven rather than supply-driven process, because of the need to keep blood glucose within tight bounds.

In brief

Gluconeogenesis is a slow process and the rate doesn't change much even under a wide range of conditions.

The hypothesis that the rate of gluconeogenesis is primarily regulated by the amount of available material, e.g. amino acids, has not been supported by experiment. Having insufficient material available for gluconeogenesis will obviously limit the rate, but in the experiments we reviewed, having excess material did not increase the rate.

We haven't found any solid evidence to support the idea that excess protein is turned into glucose.

More experiments are needed to confirm that this still holds true in keto dieters.

Gluconeogenesis has a Stable Rate

Gluconeogenesis (GNG) is a carefully regulated process for increasing blood sugar. It is stimulated by different hormones, including glucagon — the primary hormone responsible for preventing low blood sugar. GNG produces glucose slowly and evenly ². It was once thought that the main determination of the rate of GNG was how much glucogenic substrate, that is, raw materials for it, was available, but further experiments have shown that this is not the case ³. Instead, it now appears that GNG is relatively constant over a large variety of conditions ⁴.

As an example of this stability, a study by Bisschop et al. in 2000 ⁵ showed that subjects following a keto diet for 11 days had only a small (14%) increase in glucose production from GNG after overnight fasting, as shown in this graph. This works out to a difference of less than a gram of glucose per hour.

Note that 11 days might be too little time for all of the subjects to keto-adapt, and it is possible that the rate of GNG would change in subsequent weeks.

Negative Results

In another experiment (this time in subjects on a glycolytic, or carb-based, rather than a ketogenic diet), ingesting 50g of protein resulted in the same amount of glucose production as drinking water ⁶. In other words, the amount of glucose that was made after ingesting that protein wasn't any more than would have been produced without it. While it's possible that this protein doesn't count as "excess", it was likely to be nearly half of their daily required protein intake, and eaten in one sitting, and so it is enough to cast serious doubt on the idea.

There are other experiments in which increasing the available material for GNG to high levels didn't increase GNG ³, ⁴. In these experiments GNG substrates were infused directly into the blood rather than eaten.

The problem with applying the results of these experiments to the question of excess protein consumption is that infusion might bypass some mechanism that increases GNG when the protein is actually eaten. For instance, it is known that protein consumption stimulates a great deal of glucagon (along with insulin) ⁷, and it might be suggested that this glucagon would thereby increase GNG. A counterargument to that possibility is that although glucagon stimulates GNG in many conditions, its action appears to always be overridden by insulin ⁸. This means that the insulin that is produced when eating protein will counteract the glucagon and GNG will not be affected (except in the case of insulin-dependent diabetes, where insulin is neither created nor responded to in the normal fashion).

Both the argument from infused substrates and the counter-arguments outlined here are plausible mechanism arguments — taking physiological processes known to occur in one context and arguing that they will occur in another context. Plausible mechanism arguments should be used with caution.

Summary

In sum, then, there is no evidence that we could find that consuming excess protein will increase glucose production from GNG. On the other hand, there is much suggestive evidence that it does not.

Further experiments need to be carried out to answer the question completely. In particular, we would like to see a comparison of the rate of GNG in keto-adapted dieters consuming no protein, adequate protein, or a large quantity of protein, with and without dietary fat.

References (with quotes) can be read at the link provided.

Laura said:
Gawan said:
Don Genaro said:
Ailén said:

Pretty much. Eat the measured amount on the restriction/semi-fasting day, and you can have a tad more on the alternate days. Please! No hard core fasting or regular fasting or anything like that! Even on the so-called "fast" days, you are supposed to be eating your correct amount of protein and having bone broth for extra minerals and fat!
Okay, so really the fasting is, as Ailén suggested, leaving a decent gap between meals- i.e. last meal around 5-6pm and then breakfast the next morning? If that's the case, that's pretty much how I eat these days which would mean I have been doing IF for some time now? I just need to work on ensuring the correct amounts of protein and work up to the appropriate ratio of fat? Sorry if I'm a bit slow to get this (although I don't think I'm the only one!).

I've just seen your subsequent post Approaching Infinity which, if I understand it correctly would mean that we can get our required protein amounts without being overly paranoid that we will drop out of ketosis if we go slightly over?

Approaching Infinity said:
Laura said:

On the subject of protein intake, I found this via facebook a couple days ago regarding gluconeogenesis:

_http://www.ketotic.org/2012/08/if-you-eat-excess-protein-does-it-turn.html

{snip}

Interesting article! Both Jack Kruse and Ron Rosedale weigh in in the comments. I think this one from RR is quite relevant:
Ron RosedaleAugust 24, 2012 11:54 PM

The bottom line is that excess protein gets burned as fuel and that's not healthy. The amount that is first converted into glucose depends on the protein and the composition of amino acids that make it up. Some amino acids convert directly into glucose. Others enter energy pathways as intermediate hydrocarbons; not literally glucose but shorter carbon fragments of same. Either way, one must deaminate the amino acid, transferring the nitrogen to ammonia and urea that circulates as a poison until it can be excreted in the urine (hence the name). If nothing else, protein will cause harm by having to burn the excess one way or another and therefore not burn fatty acids or ketones. Then there are the important effects on metabolic hormones and pathways. It raises glucagon that raises glucose and also growth hormone that does the same and then it raises insulin; talk about metabolic schizophrenia. It profoundly raises mTOR increasing risk of cancer. I will answer more thoroughly when I have time. Thanks.

I was thinking of gluconeogenesis, but I didn't remember it correctly. I seem to recall that byproducts of some ketone process are used in gluconeogenesis, which is why I made that mistake. But based on this new article it seems GNG is not highly dependent on dietary ketosis, although I got the impression it was from LWB when I read it.

dugdeep said:
[quote author=monotonic]
If 72g of carbs are needed in a day, and you eat 36g, you will be out of ketosis for about half a day, is this correct? Can we say that a small amount of carbs, say 12g, will keep someone out of ketosis for 2 hours mathematically, depending on their body?

Again, you've got things completely backward here. The lower you go in carbs the MORE likely you are to be in ketosis. You REALLY need to read the relevant material to get up to speed on this.[/quote]

That is exactly what I said. If 72g/day keeps one out of ketosis for a day, then theoretically 72g/2=36g should stall ketosis for half a day. 72g/12=6g should stall ketosis for 2 hours. I am not THAT confused. :)

Also, everything you've written on lactic acid, while interesting, is really a side issue. Lactic acid is non-essential and doesn't really have anything to do with ketosis or the ketogenic diet. With all the effort everyone is putting into lowering our protein consumption to avoid having it converted to glucose, why woulld you think we'd be looking for other sources, like lactic acid, that are converted to glucose? In fact, we're actively trying to avoid them!

I thought, that if lactic acid in butter was being converted to glucose in the body that would be something worth "looking for", as you would be trying to avoid it? It is at least worth knowing, since organic butter often does contain lactic acid as an ingredient or as a result of culturing. I never concluded that ingesting lactic acid would be useful for the ketogenic diet, though I wondered if it could be a more palatable, more body-friendly alternative to vinegar (and possibly one reason butter is more palatable to Gawan). Consuming something that ends up as carbs in the end does seem counter-productive but at the same time you would never use very much of it and it may be sort of like those 1.5g of carbs/day we have been worrying about - but I don't know. In any case even if there is a benefit from lactic acid it doesn't seem worth the trouble to obtain and use it. It seems you are reading new meanings into what I write. I don't contest your main observations FWIW; I do need to catch up and understand this better.

The question I still have is, if the brain can use lactate in place of glucose, then can consuming lactic acid decrease glucose dependence of the brain and could this have a positive effect? The material I referenced says lactate is a better fuel for the brain, and without glycolysis lactate is no longer produced in the muscles. Further, we know the gut is like a second brain - could this be true for it as well. We also know lactobacilli produce lactic acid in the gut. So this all seems connected.

In searching more on this I found this amazing page. It confirms my concerns about right and left forms of lactic acid:

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Fermentation_in_the_gut_and_CFS

After reading this many things make sense. I think this may be helpful for Megan. The pages on hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) and pancreatic exocrine function seem helpful for anyone with indigestion. He suggests taking ascorbic acid/vitamin C with meals to help with low stomach acid. He also says cider vinegar contains yeasts and may be an issue for some people. He suggests betaine hydrochloride as the third option.

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Hypochlorhydria
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Pancreatic_exocrine_function

If you haven't done so, you should really read the LWB thread. I know it's long, but you clearly need a number of things straightened out in your mind BEFORE embarking on these dietary changes. Everything you've written here shows that you're not ready for this. I say this, not to be harsh or to ridicule (hope it doesn't come across that way), but for your own protection :)

FWIW.

I appreciate everyone's concern. I am still learning about this. I have to go over things several times before they sink in right, and hopefully I don't just forget it all in a few months time.

I have another thought - is it possible to make bone broth and render tallow in the same pot at the same time? would the resulting tallow be infused with fat-soluble nutrients? Could a thick layer of tallow on top reabsorb nutrients that would otherwise dissolve into the air? Just throwing this out there, I don't know a lot about cooking...

Ailén said:
Nathan said:
One thing I've been trying to get my head around is the fitness and bodybuilding community's nutrition and diet beliefs, which revolve around protein shakes and carbs as energy. There are a few ketogenic fitness gurus and bodybuilders out there, but they still suggest carb loading before and after workouts. *facepalm* And they throw in things like fruit, salad, cheese and milk and still recommend protein shakes. They simply cannot comprehend that this can be done without carbohydrates. And to be fair, given all the info in this thread so far, it seems there are many wrong turns you can make when undertaking a ketogenic diet. Not getting enough fat seems to be the big one.

If you read those papers linked to at the beginning of this thread, you'll see that there is actually no scientific evidence for what those "gurus" claim. In fact, it's BS and can be dangerous, because it does all the opposite to healing the body. In some studies, they noticed that resistance only decreased for a short while, but that basically, after adaptation to the ketogenic diet, the performance was the same, if not better. There are some studies about cyclists and other athletes, and they are SO biased that they aren't even worth posting here. But you can look it up. Basically, they do either total fasting, or very short adaptation to the KD (e.g. one week KD, one week carbs), so the whole thing really stinks.

Knowledge protects. One thing I find interesting is that there is a lot of "networking" happening within the paleo/primal community. It's a bit confusing at times, but there is ample protective diet-related knowledge available to those in that community that go looking for it and don't become too attached to any one "personality." Outside that community, "ignorance endangers" is the rule, as in Nathan's comments above.

Back
Top Bottom