Session 21 March 2020

Persej

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Anther part from the sessions which describes how the Minoan civilization was destroyed:

Q: (L) Knossos lasted for about another 75 years after the events which destroyed most of the Minoan civilization. What were the events which brought about the final downfall of the Minoans?

A: Meteor borne parasites. Meteor destroyed city.
And the same thing happened at the end of Rome and in the Middle Ages. So the parasites always follow the comets/meteors.

Εἰρήνη

Jedi
FOTCM Member
Is virus a living thing?

Based on my understanding of what a virus is, and based on how I understood what the C's said, I would say virus is a living thing.

This Scientific American article from 2008 summarizes how the view of official science on viruses changed over time:
First seen as poisons, then as life-forms, then biological chemicals, viruses today are thought of as being in a gray area between living and nonliving: they cannot replicate on their own but can do so in truly living cells and can also affect the behavior of their hosts profoundly. The categorization of viruses as nonliving during much of the modern era of biological science has had an unintended consequence: it has led most researchers to ignore viruses in the study of evolution. Finally, however, scientists are beginning to appreciate viruses as fundamental players in the history of life.
This study from 2015 adds to the evidence that viruses are alive.
However this research did not convince the entire scientific community that a virus is 100% a living thing.

What do you think?

Attachments

nicklebleu

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I think the question whether viruses are alive or not is largely a semantic question and depends on how you define ‘life’.

But good to see mainstream science starting to embrace the fact that viruses played an important role in ‘evolution’. Problem is, they’ll just try to squeeze that into their tired old Neo-Darwinian theory, to no avail. of course.

Top Bottom