Session 29 August 2015

Hesper

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Thank you for another amazing session you all.

dugdeep said:
Lilyalic said:
Thank you for the session, especially the information about training the mind. It does seem really difficult, after just attempting then of "breathe in, first line, breathe out", my mind will repeat the first line until the second line to sort of remember what comes next, or it'd rush to the next line. Strange!

Yup, it definitely takes practice! So far I've only been able to make it through the prayer four times when part way through the fifth my mind wanders off and I lose my place. I haven't practiced this type of meditation in years, and it's obvious that if you don't use that "muscle", you lose it! My mind is out of shape at this point - time to pick a mental exercise routine!

And in this stressful world we need every tool we can get. I'm starting with ten minutes a day, but I'm already noticing a desire to go longer than that, to about 20-30 minutes a day which seems to be the recommended target (when you have the time, that is!).

More on stress, burn-out, and the 'brain daimage' connection:
_http://www.edutopia.org/blog/teacher-burnout-neurology-judy-willis-md

What I offer from the nexus of my dual careers as a neurologist and classroom teacher are interpretations and correlations from the neuroscience research to teaching and learning. Neuroimaging studies reveal the metabolic changes in regions of the brain where activity increases or decreases in response to emotional or sensory input.

There are specific and reproducible patterns of changing neural activity and brain structures associated with stress. In the high-stress state, subject's scans reveal less activity in the higher, reflective brain and more activity in the lower, reactive brain that directs involuntary behaviors and emotional responses. Prolonged stress correlates with structural increases in the density and speed of the neuron-to-neuron connections in the emotion-driven reactive networks of the lower brain, and corresponding decreased connections in prefrontal cortex conscious control centers.

The explanation of these changes is generally attributed to the brain's neuroplasticity of "neurons that fire together, wire together." The brain literally rewires to be more efficient in conducting information through the circuits that are most frequently activated.

And how meditation helps remedy this:

http://www.sott.net/article/260547-The-fascinating-ways-meditation-transforms-your-brain-and-why-it-makes-you-feel-better

For example, neuroscientists observing MRI scans have learned that meditation strengthens the brain by reinforcing the connections between brain cells. A 2012 study showed that people who meditate exhibit higher levels of gyrification - the "folding" of the cerebral cortex as a result of growth, which in turn may allow the brain to process information faster. Though the research did not prove this directly, scientists suspect that gyrification is responsible for making the brain better at processing information, making decisions, forming memories, and improving attention.

Indeed, as much of the research is showing, meditation causes the brain to undergo physical changes, many of which are beneficial. Other studies, for example, have shown that meditation is linked to cortical thickness, which can result in decreased sensitivity to pain.

Or take the 2009 study with the descriptive title, "Long-term meditation is associated with increased gray matter density in the brain stem." Neuroscientists used MRIs to compare the brains of meditators with non-meditators. The structural differences observed led the scientists to speculate that certain benefits, like improved cognitive, emotional, and immune responses, can be tied to this growth and its positive effects on breathing and heart rate (cardiorespiratory control).
 

petite femme

Padawan Learner
Thank you for getting out the session so quickly! Again, as everyone else has said very informative and entertaining. I am thankful for the discussion about meditation, in the session and throughout this tread. I have always struggled with meditation, I do not sit still well. I even have a hard time sitting in front of the computer or with a book for more than a few hours, before I just have to get up and move. But using my will to practice meditation for the purpose of focusing my mind, will most likely help with that!! Thanks again for the info!!!
 

mabar

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Thanks for the session, did a quick read, though :-[, had not come back to express my gratitude, will read more slowly and concentrated in further days.

I did focus at the meditation tips, though, .. and, tried it on Monday. My experience of ... how I think it was to be done, was ... short. I started with a couple of pipe breathing's and did the first set and non thoughts of whatsoever came in between and it felt ... hmm, for an instant I felt a light brightly sensation? was stop short by my "supposedly conscious thoughts", first thought was "I did it!!".... I did it?? the sensation disappear at the same moment I doubt ... after that, the other sets were accompanied by "traveling thoughts" drifting and coming back, and starting again until the alarm clock rang. Did not felt the time, it was rather fast, I set it for 30 minutes.

Had someone had experience a similar sensation?
 

Turgon

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Thanks for sharing the session!

When EE first came out, I used to be super attentive to focusing on the counts and internally recite Beatha and POTS along with Laura's voice. In the last 2 years though, I stopped doing that and noticed myself becoming lazy when it came to it. I started to skip doing the meditation daily and would often drift off or fall asleep half-way through when I did do it. I remember Laura describing somewhere that before when she started doing Pipe Breathing and reciting the Prayer, she would do 30 repetitions of Pipe Breathing followed by 30 repetitions of the Prayer of the Soul, but would zone out at some point before finishing reciting the Prayer all those times.

A few weeks back, someone posted this video on facebook which I think follow similar principles to what's being discussed here although the 'seed' in the video is simply breathe, which isn't quite the same thing.

Meditation 101: A Beginner's Guide Animation

And I did try to focus in on my breathe again, allowing thoughts to come and go and come back to breathe, and it was near impossible for me to concentrate for more than a few seconds before I'd be thinking about other stuff, or simply frustrated at the fact that I couldn't focus my attention for any length of time. Time to start focusing my mind!

:read:
 

PERLOU

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Je viens de m’apercevoir que mon commentaire n'existe pas, j'ai dû faire ne mauvaise manipulation... Navrée...
Donc un grand merci à Laura, son équipe et aux Cassiopéens pour cette session fort intéressante ainsi qu'aux membres du forum pour leurs commentaires...
Merci pour tous ces conseils pour mieux pratiquer la méditation que j'exerce depuis plusieurs années, je pratique EE deux fois par semaine voire plus si je me suis endormie et récite la Prière de l'Âme de Laura chaque fois que j'ai un instant de libre, jour et nuit quand je ne dors pas...
Avant je récitais le "NOTRE PERE" des catholiques, est-elle toujours valable d'après les Cassiopéens ?...

I just noticed that my comment does not exist, I had to do ... I'm sorry ... mishandling
So a big thank you to Laura, his team and the C's for this very interesting session and members of the forum for their comments ...
Thank you for all these tips for best practice meditation I practice for several years, I practice EE twice a week or more if I fell asleep and recites the Prayer of the Soul Laura whenever I have a moment free, day and night when I can not sleep ...
Before I recited the 'OUR FATHER' Catholic, is it still valid according to the Cassiopaeans? ...
 

GAIA

Jedi
Thank you so much for another enlightening session!
This comes at such a great time, when i have been thinking a lot about beginning to meditate again after a long break.
Thanks again!!
 

SummerLite

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Thank you for this VERY helpful session! It also fits perfectly with important guidance for me at this time as my "mechanical mind" has been running amok way to much. Tonight while doing the breathing exercise I tried to discover what would be the optimal phrase for myself. I'm not sure yet, but I'm inspired. Seems like I've been pushed into the importance of meditation by the good old cosmic 2 by 4 up the side of the head. :headbash:
 

SeekinTruth

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
PERLOU said:
Je viens de m’apercevoir que mon commentaire n'existe pas, j'ai dû faire ne mauvaise manipulation... Navrée...
Donc un grand merci à Laura, son équipe et aux Cassiopéens pour cette session fort intéressante ainsi qu'aux membres du forum pour leurs commentaires...
Merci pour tous ces conseils pour mieux pratiquer la méditation que j'exerce depuis plusieurs années, je pratique EE deux fois par semaine voire plus si je me suis endormie et récite la Prière de l'Âme de Laura chaque fois que j'ai un instant de libre, jour et nuit quand je ne dors pas...
Avant je récitais le "NOTRE PERE" des catholiques, est-elle toujours valable d'après les Cassiopéens ?...

I just noticed that my comment does not exist, I had to do ... I'm sorry ... mishandling
So a big thank you to Laura, his team and the C's for this very interesting session and members of the forum for their comments ...
Thank you for all these tips for best practice meditation I practice for several years, I practice EE twice a week or more if I fell asleep and recites the Prayer of the Soul Laura whenever I have a moment free, day and night when I can not sleep ...
Before I recited the 'OUR FATHER' Catholic, is it still valid according to the Cassiopaeans? ...

Yeah, you can use that as an exercise to concentrate too (by the way, it's not just Catholic, but a general Christian prayer). The POTS is actually based on it, with all the specific Christian/monotheistic dogmas taken out. It would probably help to alternate POTS/Our Father with much shorter phrases or even just one word, as was suggested. I've been playing around with doing that to see which I can sustain longer without automatic thoughts coming in....
 

Oxajil

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
mabar said:
I did focus at the meditation tips, though, .. and, tried it on Monday. My experience of ... how I think it was to be done, was ... short. I started with a couple of pipe breathing's and did the first set and non thoughts of whatsoever came in between and it felt ... hmm, for an instant I felt a light brightly sensation? was stop short by my "supposedly conscious thoughts", first thought was "I did it!!".... I did it?? the sensation disappear at the same moment I doubt ... after that, the other sets were accompanied by "traveling thoughts" drifting and coming back, and starting again until the alarm clock rang. Did not felt the time, it was rather fast, I set it for 30 minutes.

Hi mabar, that's an interesting experience. It might be helpful though to not concentrate too much on sensations while meditating. Taking note of it is a good thing, but I'd try to get the focus back on the seed or the phrases of the POTS. You probably will be distracted here and there, which is okay, but I think it will get easier as you practice. It's kind of like a muscle you train, and in a way, it's a good way to practice discipline :)
 

Werken

The Force is Strong With This One
Excellent session. Thank you. I feel very motivated to take up meditation. If we multiply our meditation sessions and simultaneously multiply the number of people meditating, imagine!
I found it very interesting reflection about the variation in the density of matter in relation to the effects of the thaw in the planetary gravity. The allusion to the young souls like me PO clarifies the understanding of the subject.
Greetings from La Paz, Bolivia!
 

PERLOU

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Le Bis MerciYeah, vous pouvez l'utiliser comme un exercice pour vous concentrer aussi (à propos, c'est non seulement le Catholique, mais une prière de général Christian). Les POTS y sont fondés vraiment, avec tous les dogmes chrétiens/monothéistes spécifiques sortis. Il aiderait sans doute à alterner le Père de POTS/Nos avec les expressions beaucoup plus courtes ou même juste un mot, comme a été suggéré. J'ai joué autour d'avec l'action de cela pour voir que je peux soutenir plus long sans pensées automatiques entrantes....

Merci SeekinTruth pour votre réponse dont traduction ci-dessus... Je vais essayer aussi avec un seul mot dans la partie EE Méditation après la Prière de l'Âme de Laura dès la prochaine fois...



SeekinTruth thank you for your reply which translation above ... I'll try also with a single word in the game after Meditation EE Prayer of the Soul Laura soon next time ...
 

Seato

Jedi Master
Thank you for the session and the advice on meditation. I know I have been struggling with saying the prayer of the soul without my mind straying and consequently muddling it up. Hopefully this should help.
 

Renaissance

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Doing the meditation feels kind of like excising with light weights and doing a lot of repetitions. Initially I found I had to just relax my mind a bit in doing the prayer at a slower pace than I'm used to. At first it feels easy and then I eventually reach a limit where I'm consistently loosing track of the prayer. So far this happens during the 5th, 6th or 7th rounds. Seems it can be different depending on the time of day. This loosing track involves other thoughts coming in, but it also feels like a deeper dissociation. Refocusing attention repeatedly during this point might be where the exercise can be particularly useful.
 

dugdeep

SuperModerator
Moderator
FOTCM Member
Renaissance said:
Doing the meditation feels kind of like excising with light weights and doing a lot of repetitions. Initially I found I had to just relax my mind a bit in doing the prayer at a slower pace than I'm used to. At first it feels easy and then I eventually reach a limit where I'm consistently loosing track of the prayer. So far this happens during the 5th, 6th or 7th rounds. Seems it can be different depending on the time of day. This loosing track involves other thoughts coming in, but it also feels like a deeper dissociation. Refocusing attention repeatedly during this point might be where the exercise can be particularly useful.

I've found the same thing and I like the "light weights" analogy. I've noticed that my mind is sometimes able to recite the prayer automatically while other thoughts are still active in the foreground. I think this is likely the first step to losing track of the prayer altogether, so when I notice this, I try to coral in those thoughts and really concentrate on the words of the prayer. It seems to help to put some of that attention on the body, as others have mentioned.
 
Top Bottom