Session 30 August 2014

Laura said:
Q: (Carlisle) In the last session, you mentioned cold protocols as an aid to help fight off Ebola and strengthen the immune system. We were wondering what kind of temperature, duration, and frequency of cold exposure is optimal for this?

A: Ten to fifteen C, and same number of minutes. Daily is best initially, but four times weekly for maintenance. The approach can be gradual.

Q: (Andromeda) God...

(L) That's not so bad.

(Pierre) It's not that at 16 or 17 C you have no more effect.

(L) Yeah, they said "optimal". Yeah...

(Andromeda) Yeah, we're not overachievers around here for sure! [laughter]

(Mr. Scott) So, 30 C or 25 degrees C? [laughter]

(Pierre) I knew you were going to go there!

(Chu) They said initially. Initially could be the first day. [laughter]

(L) No! They didn't mean the first day. Okay, just to answer that question, how long do you have to do it every day at those low temperatures to really get the benefit?

A: 2 to 3 weeks.

Q: (L) So, for 2 to 3 weeks you have to do it every day, and then after that it's 4 times a week. That would be more or less every other day.

A: Yes.

Q: (L) So you could have days when you torture yourself, and days when you don't! [laughter] Good lord, that's cold!

(Pierre) 10 is cold.

(L) Is 10 actually the most optimal?

(Pierre) Don't answer this question!

A: For some. Others experience the benefits at a higher temp.

(Perceval) Has it anything to with, for example, the quantity of...

(Mr. Scott) Your bypassing the obvious next question which no one wants answered, because everyone wants to assume that they are one of those people who can benefit at a higher temperature. [laughter]

(Perceval) No, my question is since I don't have quite so much protection on my bones... [laughter] ...I therefore feel the cold more quickly. The cold penetrates more quickly and works its magic on me more quickly.

A: Yes.

I found this interesting little article on the web today:
http://www.thehackedmind.com/7-reasons-to-take-cold-showers-and-1-that-really-matters/

Today, I could not turn the shower faucet to the right any further. Victory.

My first experience with cold showers was excited but short lived. Joel Runyon had a blog post and YouTube video discussing cold showers and how to begin. I was pumped and I gave it a try. I tried it, I yelped, I nearly peed myself, and then I stopped for a while.

It was too uncomfortable. I didn’t want to replace hot, enjoyable showers with frigid, painful experiences. Despite all of the health benefits, I now know that being uncomfortable is exactly what cold showers are all about.

If health isn’t high on your priority list, getting used to discomfort on a daily basis should be. By subjecting myself to discomfort now, I increase the likelihood I can stay the course in other areas of my life that are more important. Best of all, there are plenty of health benefits associated with cold shower therapy.

Living a Meaningful Life
Anyone who leads a meaningful life will attest to a few truths. In order to achieve anything, discomfort is going to play a massive role. Whether you are uncomfortably broke and have to borrow money to put gas in your car or if you experience discomfort asking the most beautiful woman on a date, purpose and meaning come with sacrifice.In many cases, the sacrifice is living with discomfort.

Conditioning your brain to accept, survive, and embrace discomfort is one of the practices that can greatly impact the rest of your life. Entrepreneurs, athletes and other professionals may consider cold shower therapy trivial when pursuing their goals, but don’t miss out on the big picture. It isn’t about the cold water. It’s about the discomfort associated with cold showers, which you can overcome every day towards a greater goal in life.

No Way That is Healthy
If you have heard your parents’ conventional wisdom growing up, you’re probably not too fond of the cold. Supposedly, it can make you sick, but plenty of studies have showed this to be a myth. The truth, is that cold shower therapy is one of the healthiest modes for your body to regulate your internal temperature and it actually strengthens your immune system. It is considered a hormetic stressor, meaning that exposure to low level toxins can improve your health.

Improved blood circulation – showering with cold water is in going to improve your blood circulation between organs and skin considerably. With cold temperatures, blood flows to your organs for protection to keep them the warmest. Warm water sends the blood rushing to the skin so alternating between cold and hot (as I will detail later) can be a great way of improving your blood circulation. If you are just beginning, it might be best to stick to a cold shower only.

Improved mood – it is hard to quantify mood and indeed it is altered by many things. As my Unbalanced Brain series indicates, there are scientific reasons for many mood disorders. Cold showers can stimulate noradrenaline secretion in the brain, which is associated with improving mood disorders like depression.

Increased immune strength – unlike what your mother told you, spending time in the cold can actually increase your immune strength. Those who take cold showers typically exhibit higher white blood cell counts as well as higher concentrations of plasma, T helper cells, and lymphocytes.

Increased testosterone levels – I’m always looking for healthy and natural ways of increasing my testosterone levels. It’s a boon in the gym, it makes me feel more motivated in general, and manipulating it naturally is the safest long term method I can think of. When I heard that cold showers can vastly increase testosterone production, I was even more thrilled. Not only is testosterone elevated during the shower, but throughout the day as well.

Metabolic advantages – from a body composition perspective, cold showers are also incredibly useful. The cold water induces an increased metabolic rate. The cold temperatures force your body to re-regulate the body temperature continually, which utilizes many calories. Mark mentions that an evolutionarily retained adaptation to cold water exposure is a layer of protective fat. Therefore, get your cold shower short and sweet and then get out. Longer exposure to cold therapy is not necessarily better.

Better breathing – you may hyperventilate as soon as you get in a cold shower, which is a pretty natural response. However, the panic will only make the experience worse so it is in your best interest to breathe calmly and deeply. Few people breathe deeply so you may need cold showers to help you do so.

Make Your Life Easier
One of my favorite things to do is give actionable tips to get started. In this case, making it easier to take cold showers may be against the principle of increasing your acceptance of discomfort, but I’m going to give you some tips and practices anyway.

Big goals require discomfort to achieve – as soon as you make the realization that the goals you want to achieve most in your life are subject to discomfort, it should be an easy sell. The difference between making a good impression, standing your ground, and being successful could be altered by getting used to discomfort.

Joel’s TEDx talk compares his decision to strike out as an entrepreneur to the experiences felt during a cold shower. It isn’t going to be fun, it might be a bit scary, to many it seems stupid, but it’s all a matter of discomfort.

It starts with day 1 – when I first considered cold showers one of my biggest fears was “for how long?” Do I need to take cold showers for the rest of my life? If you think about it, you will never get there. Just take it a day at a time. Get in the cold shower one day for a few minutes, get out, and you will be fine. Then do it the next day. It will get easier and easier so long as you can maintain the practice.

Don’t try it gradually – unless you have health problems, I would not try to go from hot to cold over the course of your shower. In my experience, I forgot to get cold a lot of the times, in the hot water it is easy to talk yourself out of a cold shower, and partial immersion into cold shower therapy just doesn’t seem to work. It might work for you, but based on my experience it is not an effective method.

Work up a sweat first – I have the advantage of living in Austin, Texas so cold showers can be actually quite nice after the scorching heat of the southern United States. Nonetheless, you can even do this in colder climates by doing rigorous exercise or working up some sweat before you get in. It’s a great way to cool off and it can also help prevent muscle soreness and fatigue after heavy weight lifting sessions.

Focus on your breath – you’re going to get panicked, but it will only make things worse. Taking a cold shower is like quicksand. The faster you can accept what is happening and embrace it, the faster you can recover from the shock. This is one of the reasons I find cold shower therapy to be incredibly meditative. With maximum stimulation all around you, it is your job to maintain a steady focus and calmness with your breath and your focus. It helps to show how much you can actually block out with your mental capabilities. Now think about using this in an uncomfortable setting outside of the shower. Pretty helpful, huh?

What Are You Waiting For?
If you are dedicated to your aspirations and goals, taking a cold shower has profound tangible and mental benefits. Not only do you increase your physical health by taking cold showers, but you will build mental toughness in the face of extreme discomfort. By building discomfort resistance over many years, you will be ready when you need to be. Whether you are an athlete or an entrepreneur or anything that requires you to face and conquer fear, a cold shower is an easy win in the right direction.

Alkhemist said:
seiw83 said:
Alkhemist fear is an great issue. As Laura stated there is an need to interact with other individuals, and mostly that interaction is based on our fear. It is an action of mind not the heart when you deal with other people. Fear is connected greatly to all our fails. Past life injures cause this fear. Thus fear is mostly connected to karma. You need to focus on this interaction and check how your actions and others are all based on fear.

No, it is not an issue with me right now, nor was it an issue when I asked the question. In fact, fear has nothing to do with what I had asked. You, yourself, seem to be obsessed by fear and with telling me that I "need" to agree with you.

I'll try rewording my question. How does talking and working out issues connect the chakras?

Did you read Laura's reply to you here?

Laura said:
Connecting chakras is being intellectually and emotionally engaged with other colinear individuals. This comes about via The Work processes which are many and varied. However, getting to that stage is what we do in FOTCM after we get to know people well and are sure they aren't whackos.

truth seeker said:
Starshine said:
Still, this is really interesting and I will have a second session in the end of september.
Here is an extract from my session, when Heather explains what she did :
Hi Starshine,

Here are a few recent posts that you may want to keep in mind:

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,35757.msg516062.html#msg516062

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,35757.msg516131.html#msg516131

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,35757.msg516151.html#msg516151

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,35757.msg516162.html#msg516162

Thanks for pointing that out, truth seeker!
I certainly had both curiosity about such a process and also the feeling that it may finally be THE solution to all my problems. I resonate with what Zenith said :

I think this is an interesting and useful example and in many ways I think our attitude to therapies can be counter-productive and potentially infringe on our progress in the work. I've been treated with an awful lot of different holistic and energy therapy (including SRT) over the years.

Looking back, when I first 'discovered' this arena I would focus a huge and disproportionate amount of my own energy on both the idea that I may have found the 'holy grail' in terms of a solution and would invest my hopes (wishful thinking) that the outcome would lead to some sort of 'final resolution' of sorts.

I guess this may be a potential trap for many who have complex issues and are significantly wounded from life's journey. This of course leads to dejection and frustration as at some point we finally have to face the fact that there really are no quick fixes. That doesn't mean that such modalities have no benefit at all but approaching them realistically and with a commitment to working on ourselves consistently seems to be the key here.

There definitely ain't no shortcuts. I may have been looking for it again and feed some internal considering, but I also really benefited.
It made me realize that I had to allow myself to feel. It is safe to experiment those feelings. And this, in itself, is a release. This understanding now can be used during EE.
I also feel more and more engaged in the Work. And one of my main motivation in engaging SRT was trying to understand why I had such blocks at networking. And it helped me understand why, afterwards.
Thanks for such a network to exist.

I'm fighting battles with myself before each cold shower, but the feeling afterwards is priceless. :)

Thank you for this session.

ska said:
re cold showers - I find as soon as I get my head used to the temperture the rest of my body adjusts very quickly.
I get under at a more tolerable tepmerature , (warm not hot) but turn it right down to cold fairly quickly.

I would like to specify this a little bit more, because I made a similar experience.
There is a special point at your neck that seems to be responsible for "getting cold". A chinese doctor once told me that one should especially be careful to keep that point warm in winter (at least he does so) to avoid getting a cold.

And when I am standing under the cold shower and let the water rinse over me being carful to touch this very point in the neck I dont feel the cold any more. Of course I start shivering - at least my body ;-) - but it is not troublesome.

:D :knitting: :D

Laura said:
Alkhemist, your response to seiw83 is rather sharp and uncalled for in the context.

There was no sharpness implied, Laura. I was attempting to clarify a question that I had asked three different ways that was apparently not being understood. I apologize if it sounded abrupt.

First of all, by post count, swiw83 is a fairly new member and is just getting getting his/her feet wet here. Secondly, it is obvious by the syntax that English is not his/her first language.

I understand all of that. I've taught English as a second language, and this is the very reason I was attempting to be as brief and clear as possible. Sometimes this doesn't translate well in a written forum.

Finally, if you have read The Wave in its entirety, as well as the sessions, your question would be at least partly answered. More in-depth answers to many questions are explicated in some detail here on the forum.

As I've said many times here, I've read the entire Wave series, all the transcripts, and most of your books. Unfortunately, I don't have a perfect memory, so I sincerely didn't remember where this information could be found (nor did I find it with a search of the forums).

For example, the specific issue of re-training the centers via sincere feedback in real time is discussed in a number of places. Hopefully, some of the resident experts in where stuff is will find some links to those specific discussions.

The "eyes of the soul" are discussed in Mouravieff's works and the operations of "the Mirror" are rather crucial in the process of tuning the instrument.

Thank you for the information.

naorma said:
There is a special point at your neck that seems to be responsible for "getting cold". A chinese doctor once told me that one should especially be careful to keep that point warm in winter (at least he does so) to avoid getting a cold.

And when I am standing under the cold shower and let the water rinse over me being carful to touch this very point in the neck I dont feel the cold any more. Of course I start shivering - at least my body ;-) - but it is not troublesome.

:D :knitting: :D

Thats very interesting.
I've found this description of body's cooling spots:
_http://lifehacker.com/5571072/know-your-bodys-cooling-spots
(...) wrist and neck both contain pulse points—essentially, areas where you can feel your pulse because your blood vessels are close to the surface of your skin. Because they are so close, however, you can also cool off your blood and body temperature by getting the area in contact with cool water.
Purpose of this article is to cool down during heat but it seems to explain how body cooling works, so maybe next time I will try to avoid getting cold water directly on my neck first to see if it does weaken the shock - though I'm not 100% sure about avoiding the shock. Maybe entire purpose of cold shower(bath) is to experience this. :/

Cold as flu/cold is another matter I guess.

Alkhemist said:
all the transcripts, and most of your books. Unfortunately, I don't have a perfect memory, so I sincerely didn't remember where this information could be found (nor did I find it with a search of the forums).

:huh:The search returns quite a couple of hits:

"connect chakras"
"connect centers"

You can also use Google (or another search engine): "Cassiopaea Forum and search term"

Mentioning fear as a "denying force" is quite to the point, I think.

M.T.

When I am taking a cold shower, at some point, my body starts shaking uncontrollably. I can stop it if I tighten the muscles of the abdomen, back, arms and hold them to the point of cramping. When I let go, the shaking could return. I have to put on some warm clothes immediately and drink something hot... Anyone else had a similar experience? Is there a way to prevent that shaking?

SlavaoN

SlavaOn said:
When I am taking a cold shower, at some point, my body starts shaking uncontrollably. I can stop it if I tighten the muscles of the abdomen, back, arms and hold them to the point of cramping. When I let go, the shaking could return. I have to put on some warm clothes immediately and drink something hot... Anyone else had a similar experience? Is there a way to prevent that shaking?

SlavaoN

So far and as I understood it the shaking would be a goal of these cold showers and is then also the point you can and should stop showering. After the shower and when it is not too hard, try to give your body the chance to heat up by itself, that means without tea. And try to take it slowly too and just in case.

(Perceval) Yeah, you build yourself up. If you're kind of shaking for an hour afterwards, that's too much too soon.

(L) I think the clue to whether you're getting the benefit is how quickly you start shivering. It's kind of like the infrared saunas: the clue to how well you are receiving the benefits is how quickly you start sweating. So, I think in the cold therapy, how quickly you start shivering is the indicator. That shiver response is activating some stuff in the body. Am I right about that? That's my theory.

A: Close enough

SlavaOn said:

SlavaoN
And also focus on your breath to stop tightening, cramping your muscles and make the shaking bearable. It's actually a great way to learn a proper way to breathe.

Starshine said:
SlavaOn said:

SlavaoN
And also focus on your breath to stop tightening, cramping your muscles and make the shaking bearable. It's actually a great way to learn a proper way to breathe.
If taking the cold bath I usually play the recording of 3-stage pipe breathing once my body is fully submerged in the water. This lasts the full 15 minutes and I find helps me relax and try to be more conscious of what I am experiencing in that moment (rather than thinking 'GET ME OUT' :lol:) Once pipe breath has finished I know it is time to get out! I usually start shivering within the first 4-5 minutes, and that carries on until I am finished. Never have I actually felt so energised - it certainly is powerful!

I don't think it's shivering. I wonder if the shaking is a neurogenic tremor which is a mammalian stress release response , trauma release exercises bring this on also and my work with clients through a reiki type energy work has been inducing tremors in people over the past year and a half. Have a look at Peter Levines work and that of David Bercelli both have been mentioned in this forum. Neurogenic tremoring is the most powerful self healing tool for stress, pain and tension I have ever come across. Huge complement to EE. Big changes that really are significant, people report feeling calmer, have more clarity and don't get wound up about the things they used to. I have experienced this also.

lainey said:
It was too uncomfortable. I didn’t want to replace hot, enjoyable showers with frigid, painful experiences. Despite all of the health benefits, I now know that being uncomfortable is exactly what cold showers are all about.

If health isn’t high on your priority list, getting used to discomfort on a daily basis should be. By subjecting myself to discomfort now, I increase the likelihood I can stay the course in other areas of my life that are more important. Best of all, there are plenty of health benefits associated with cold shower therapy.

Very good point lainey. I didn't think of that. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom