The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

With Russia experiencing record sub-zero temperatures (-50C/-58F) people still think of ways to entertain themselves. This video shows a guy throwing a pot of boiling water off his balcony in Novosibirsk.

http://weather.aol.com/2012/12/19/watch-instant-vapor-forms-in-siberia/?icid=maing-grid7%7Ccompaq-laptop%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D248166

Hithere said:

Yup, cold! - good experiment too, which i hope people who are not adapted and prepared will not have to suffer those conditions where this temperature is a reality.

Thanks for sharing, Lilou. Will keep this in mind for possible future use...

This could actually become a form of art :)
Creating different shapes, figures in the air...Waves.

On second thought, I guess not. It's more like smoke rings which never became an 'art form' but def interesting to see the various things one can do with it

As you may have seen from my other topic, we have received 45.6 cm of snow in 18h in Montréal (much more in other places) two days ago which makes it the greatest snow fall in under 24h that we have ever had through our entire history. We got only 1.4 cm short of the greatest total amount of snow ever during one single storm (no matter how long).

Temperature is not so off average but still not as hot as it used to be in the last years with warming trend.

It is still snowing outside today and so far, winter is intense.

It's way too soon to draw any conclusion I concur but I wanted to bring the point and I'll follow it.

Peace.

Here in Northern Alberta, the temperatures reached (and stayed for a couple of days) -40. Before that, it was lots of snowfall, but nothing close to 40 cm. I think it was the day after Boxing Day that I heard on a station that our city was the second coldest in the world that day, first was one in Siberia. Even the locals say that this weather at this time of year is not normal, these cold temperatures are expected early in the year, Jan-March period. But since yesterday, after we saw the beautiful Chinook Arch in the skies, we have been having warm temperatures, around -5 (all temperatures I am referring to are in Celsius).

From reading SOTT, it seems that this winter is pretty cold everywhere in the Northern hemisphere. But unless they are directly affected, people don't pay much attention, unfortunately.

Oh those "Chinook" Arch's, such nice weather phenomenons in Alberta to give one a reprieve from the cold and remind one of better weather - glad it rolled in. :)

The temperature here in Norway has gone from - 15 to + 4 degrees Celsius in 24 hours. It is unusual with above zero degrees this time of year, but more frequent the last 20 years.

Alana said:
Here in Northern Alberta, the temperatures reached (and stayed for a couple of days) -40.

That is what we call a cold one! I know what it is to be outside at -40°C and it ain't funny! You breathe and all the humidity in your nostrils freeze!

But since yesterday, after we saw the beautiful Chinook Arch in the skies, we have been having warm temperatures, around -5 (all temperatures I am referring to are in Celsius).

Good, at least it didn't stay too cold too long.

From reading SOTT, it seems that this winter is pretty cold everywhere in the Northern hemisphere. But unless they are directly affected, people don't pay much attention, unfortunately.

That's true. And anyhow there's so much hype about global warming, people in general don't even really know what's coming. They don't know that this "warming" phase might only precipitate us faster into a sudden glacial rebound. Where's the companion star at? Our axis might be ready for a change in it's angle. That's all it takes, or so it seems. It will be a snowball effect from that moment.

I'll see what I can find about the companion star.

Peace.

Alana said:

Actually now it feels like springtime in the south east of France...

eoste said:
Actually now it feels like springtime in the south east of France...

Same here in southern Croatia. We had week or so of 'real winter' weather, but last week it's very warm, there are bees and other insects flying around like it's spring. Occasional rain and thunder that comes and goes very fast. It's weird and confusing weather for this time of the year.

Snow red alert issued by Met Office, as public warned to avoid travel

A red alert for snow has been issued for Wales for Friday.

The highest warning from the Met Office is issued by forecasters if they think it has "potential to cause danger to life or widespread disruption."

There could be up to 30cm of snow in the Red Warning area, which centres on Wales, during Friday afternoon and evening.

It came as parts of Wales, including the Brecon Beacons, experienced some snowfall on Thursday.

A statement issued by the Met Office at Thursday lunchtime said: "A band of snow, heavy in places, will spread northeastwards across Wales and the southwestern half of England, during Friday morning, lasting through the afternoon and evening across much of Wales, the Midlands, southern and parts of southeast England. Winds will strengthen, leading to drifting of lying snow

"Many parts of the Red Warning area are likely to have 20-30 cm of snow with strong southeasterly winds causing blizzards, severe drifting of lying snow and thus severe disruption. The public should avoid all non-essential journeys."

_http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2013/01/17/snow-red-alert-issued-by-met-office-as-public-warned-to-avoid-roads-91466-32622982/

With foot of snow forecast with strong winds there should quite a lot of snowdrifts and blocked roads. Some people in Wales are already panicking, emptying shop shelves and storing up on essentials.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21063003

Just a thought and although perhaps counter-intuitive, but could the current 'record' heat in Southern Hemisphere locations (e.g. Australia) at the moment be the trigger for the future significant cold weather events in the Northern Hemisphere?

There is only (x) amount of heat in the world at any one time which is distributed randomly via natural processes. Where one place is hot, somewhere else will be cold, and a large area will be considered neutral. Ignoring global warming, or solar variations, the net effect of heating/cooling around the world should equal 0. Locations that are significantly above average should be balanced by other areas that are significantly below average. Assuming there are areas which are very much above average or at record levels, I would expect to see the exact opposite being observed elsewhere.

If there are any scientists or people in the know who could qualify or correct that logic, please do. I'm just trying to think outside the box and look for signs elsewhere which might indicate an event with a time line origin being closer to imminent than 'open'.

MikeJoseph82,
It is interesting that the actual situation (historical heatwave in Australia and cold over most of the northern hemisphere) has been compared, at least, with the 1790 conditions: _http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/01/18/a-follow-up-on-the-it-was-warmer-in-1790-in-sydney-story/#more-77760
That was during the "little ice age" and that particular period has seen lots of wars everywhere (French revolution, American revolution and so forth) like today (and a lot of cometary activity). Cooling periods did correspond to lots of variance in weather conditions and even during the little ice age, many occurrences of high temperatures have been recorded.

Here is something quite extraordinaire: Russians bothered with snow! :jawdrop:

_http://rt.com/news/winter-snow-russia-weather-275/

In our capital Zagreb there was some heavy snowing few days ago (60 cm overnight) which could continue due to meteo-reports, but this is rather insignificant comparing to Россия :knitting:

Added: There is no snow in Split - jet (like last February - brrr) but, for a change, there was a minor earthquake day before yesterday - just 4.2 or so...

Back
Top Bottom