The Truth About Hair and Why Indians Would Keep Their Hair Long

I shall try to be more concise, anart. The reason I'm trying to describe certain terms in detail is because this is one of the topics that isn't mentioned here frequently, and as such, I want to avoid unneeded confusion. As I stated in my introduction post, I intend to share some of my knowledge here because I think that any knowledge of the first three paths helps one to understand aspects of the fourth way, seeing as Gurdijeff may have made unqualified statements with little or no backup.
I would assume that open minded research requires an inquiring mind free of preconceptions and it is a bit alarming that many members here seem to be offended when someone questions Gurdjieff's authority on certain matters. Broad generalisations, as they have occurred since my last post here and citation of quotes from G. in nearly every post are indicative to me that some people take these writings as "sacred text". I am suffering from the same problems from time to time, since mind searches for security, but people, please be aware that G. isn't some kind of ultimate truth bearer to be literally interpreted. Thanks for taking the time to find the relevant passages, Approaching Infinity.

anart said:
Medhavi said:
For some time, I shared your view on this topic as well and actually, I still feel uneasy about it. From a scientific perspective, I just can't take Gurdijeff as a reliable source on such matters considering that he is so opaque about where he got what kind of knowledge. I want to separate the man from his message and G. obviously had his own assumptions.

The observable fact of the matter is that Gurdjieff's information is clearly on target regarding humanity's state and human behavior. Your issue with his 'source' is not really relevant, when one understands his work and how clearly he describes human process and awakening.

No one source contains all truth. My issues with his sources are relevant for one can't just take words from a system alien to one and change it around(Kundabuffer?) to fit one's own theories without providing sufficient evidence that comes from primary sources or known people. Most of what makes up the legacy of Gurdijeff are actually quotes written down by the people he came into contact with like Ouspensky. So we have second hand accounts and texts like Beelzebub which got edited down, as Bennett reports, and even if you look at the draft, this got to be the most cryptic and confusing of his books. Do I fail to understand his work then? I leave this open as I am still studying his books again and again.

m said:
I know that the perception of Kundalini in the West has largely been shaped by the predecessors of and the Human Potential/New Age movement itself. Now we have several articles here exploring how the New Age movement is a diversion and a trap.

Because it is a trap, as are many (if not all) eastern traditions. It can be no other way, Medhavi, at this point in the history of 3D STS planet earth.

You make rather strong statements considering that I just said that most of what is understood as Kundalini in the West now is largely derived from New Age interpretations of questionable sources(such as Gopi Krishna's popular account). Do you think it is wise to make broad assumptions about things that haven't been thoroughly researched and practised? The common practises that are done here(proper Diet, Breathing Exercises, Prayer, Self-observation) have been done before in what G. simplifies as the three paths. To simply design "them" as traps for the soul, even though all traditions are just sources of information which contain both false and true knowledge to various degrees, is a sign of a closed mind, wouldn't you agree?

m said:
The interesting thing here is that in the scriptures I've read and the people I've talked do catalogue "the fierce woman" or "the serpent energy"(because the strong energy feels like it coils itself around the central channel) as a natural phase of the path, but neither do they connect it to anything specifically worthwhile dwelling on nor as anything else but a natural progression of a revitalising progress(which is why it's called the access to pre-natal chi in Taoist schools)

I see no data to indicate that this does not mean that it is the source of man's dreaming. Man's dreaming is a 'natural state'.

How do you know that the phenomena discussed is related to deepening one's waking sleep in the first place? What is the source of this data, despite Gurdijeff?

m said:
When I first learned about this information I was already acquainted with the sheep believing themselves to be magicians allegory and was looking for this and that trap all over the place, yet I noticed that in whatever phase practitioners were in within the Eastern schools, it didn't seem to be clouding them in a dream bubble as I initially suspected.

And you think you are capable of telling that? I think it would be worthwhile for you to consider that you might be blind due to your interest in such traditions (i.e. you are identified).

As part of my research, I have to study the theoretical and practical aspects of some of the paths that you broadly design as "the eastern traditions" .
Since the work done by this group here so far has helped me a lot, as well as my areas of study, I am taking both into account.
I am as identified with my own research as you possibly are with yours. I hope you don't claim that it is possible to remain entirely detached from any extended research you undertake that has yielded benefit to yourself. I could ask the same questions about you, considering that you write your statements in a rather confident and fact-of-the-matter style.
The way you become able to tell to discern something from another is dependent on your intellectual framework and corresponding experience which results in different degrees of awareness. The same way you become able to do what you can do on this forum through research and experience.

m said:
Their presence was strengthened but otherwise, the search for knowledge went on.

How do you know that their 'presence was strengthened'? I posit that you cannot know such a thing.

You have more than a purely intellectual stance. Doesn't mean I am blindly following my feelings but the very topic of this thread is about that: There's many ways to get information without intellectual guesswork, and we have more than one sense organ. What we can "tell" about others, is derived from the sum of our sense organs(whatever their number may be). If someone has strong electromagnetic fields emanating from his body due to his practise, you can certainly feel that if you're in the same room.

m said:
No playing with powers.

That does not mean they were not more deeply lost in their waking sleep.

Are you making the assumption that there is no possibility that all throughout the ages, anyone not officially associated with G's depiction of the Fourth Way may have been trying to look for an objective sense of reality, the same way you are, and may have attained different degrees of success or failure?

m said:
Now there are stories from India which suggest people who got fixated on this particular thing at this stage and they certainly seemed to be playing around with powers and appeared deluded in general. But then I asked myself: what use is my awareness if I can't discern knowledge from ignorance and become enamored with some neutral process going on in my body. And it is emphasised that it is largely a physical process.

I'm not sure what your point really is with the above, can you clarify? In general, actually, it would be appreciated if you could work on being more concise with your posts. It is externally considerate to do so.

I am avoiding completely foreign terms as much as possible and trying to clarify matters where people are easily tempted to put up an indoctrinated view(which citing G. on such matters actually is) that lacks qualified evidence to back it up.
What I meant was that most traditions associated with pursuing knowledge warn of such people that get obsessed at such a tempting stage. Obsession, as we know, leads to stagnation and delusion. The analogy with the obsessive diet researcher was used to depict that, and nothing else was intended.
The point is that the process or phenomena itself is rarely the culprit, but the wisdom or lack of wisdom of the being is.

m said:
So what I am left with is that the West has made a great fuss out of this particular stage(since it appears so early; simply synching breath and thought provokes it already) and made it into a kind of goal. Now while I actually doubt that many achieve genuine cultivation of this stage, it is pretty clear how this goal setting makes people ignorant of the overall process who then proceed to believe themselves to be magicians. And that's where a soul gets stuck.
But then I ask, is it the energy, which according to the traditions I've researched, is an inevitable part of life, or the wisdom of the practitioner that is at fault here?

I think that is a false dichotomy you are setting up. It matters not whose 'fault' it is - the energy itself is the source of man's dreaming - it is the veil that keeps man trapped in his current condition. To strengthen that energy is to strengthen the sleep and delusion.

Again, you seem to be sure that your premise- that this energy is what G. says it is- is beyond challenge. I think it may be profitable for you to notice that you state things in a factual manner, even though you know that G. is not exactly a good source for this kind of thing, by all standards of research. I might similarly ask you if you are not overly attached to his every word?

m said:
After all, I might get enamored with adjusting my diet and researching this and that diet style for all my life, and might stop to do any self-observation or anything else at all, keeping me stuck in 3rd density.

I think this is an uneven comparison. If you're trying to say that obsession at any stage is stagnation, I would agree but that doesn't make the kundalini energy anything other than what it is.

You claim absolute knowledge of "what it is". The C's have stated that it is crucial to think in limitless terms. For that, you have a rather narrow view of what is and what is not.

m said:
but G.'s description doesn't seem to match anything coming out of non-Gurdijeffian traditions.

That does not mean that he is not correct. You seem to put a lot of stock in many eastern traditions and an objective look at the state of those people and those societies might help you to realize that they are lacking. If they were not, things would be different - it can be no other way.

Do you "want" him to be correct? All I am saying is that there is not much credible evidence outside of his own writings that what he writes in regard to what he has neither experienced nor researched can be taken for anything other than an interesting story.
Of course, and that is what I have been asking before, is his Kundabuffer related to the actual Kundalini, if it exists, or is his depiction designed to, as has been suggested, deconstruct the assumptions of the people of his time that were influenced by such hodge-podge groups like the Theosophical Society of the Golden Dawn? That man's dead, so we can't ask him. So you have to look for sources beyond his statements.
An "objective look" at any kind of society reveals its ugliness. What has that to do with what has been developed within them? Do I dismiss Gurdijeff or Castaneda based on how their disciples ended up? Do I dismiss Fulcanelli because various alchemical societies before and after his time might be shady in character? Can I actually take "an objective look" at any kind of society or groups of individuals without exactly knowing what they do for what reasons and what kind of layer they are part of?(Like Exoteric, Mesoteric and Esoteric)
I am not sure if you are intending to do this, since I respect your work here, but you come off as quite arrogant with these statements.
The way you put your words suggests that by just making me take an "objective look"(by what standards?) I might just realise them to be something that you already have pre-defined. Of course they are lacking, like every other source or tradition, but you come off like someone who has done an incredible amount of research into all matters discussed here so far and can easily judge what is and what is not. On what kind of supposedly immense knowledge is this based?

m said:
The Ch'an school in China doesn't even really mention Kundalini, yet the practitioners pass through this stage without losing their awareness; at least the one's I've seen.

Again, I find it really interesting that you think you could tell whether or not someone has 'lost their awareness'.

Of course I might deceive myself but it doesn't mean that I can't attempt to judge people in terms of their own systems and what I know from outside of their own, to see whether or not things work. To be able to tell things from another, it requires diligent study and I am not expecting people here to take up such matters in these directions themselves. All I am looking for is some kind of open-mindedness and your strong statements on matters little discussed and not sufficiently researched seem to be rather uncalled for.

m said:
What my personal question is, before anything fruitful can be accomplished here, is why Gurdijeff changed "Kundalini" to "Kundabuffer" if they are the same.

What difference does that make? G often wrote and spoke in metaphor. It actually has no bearing on the truth of the situation at all.

Of course it makes a difference. You can't even have a sensible discussion before you clear up the definitions on the table. You seem to insist that one kind of truth is absolute and that what other traditions write and do is simply irrelevant. Do you sincerely want to learn and expand your learning to gain more knowledge or have you already solidified a view that you have become attached to?

m said:
How Kundabuffer is defined is pretty clear initially, seeing as he made it one of the main topics of Beelzebub; it is the source of delusion and grandeur and along with the moon, it was created through a "cosmic accident". But he also reasons something along the lines of civilization being increasingly controlled by this Kundabuffer, as time progresses, and therefore becoming machines instead of waking up.

Yes.

m said:
This particular notion puzzled me because here, it gets cosmological significance, whereas in the eastern cultivation traditions, it is part of the mind-body transformation and it is left at that.

I don't think so. Everything has "cosmological significance", as you put it, including mind-body aspects of reality - and it has mind-body significance, there is no difference, so I'm not sure why you're stating that there is.

What I mean is that G. is likely taking things out of their context, renaming them and constructing a certain view. Even though most of what he has written is relevant and helpful, certain assumptions of his, or at least the textual depictions we are left with now, have to be tested for their validity, especially when they sound rather questionable, given the decades of research since his demise.

m said:
If someone gets all heroic and deludes himself into believing to have achieved true transformation, he is reminded that he is at the initial stages of the overall path, so awareness is applied to keep him progressing.

Perhaps, but if a person is convinced that he can tell whether or not others have 'lost their awareness' isn't that the same thing? Can you consider the idea that you may not understand what you think you understand?

No, it isn't the same thing. There's many gates to the Truth, and what I am stating here is that people ain't stupid everywhere. Gurdijeff isn't the first guy to do this kind of work and there's huge amounts of research to be done in various traditions to see what can be done and how it was generally done. I brought up patterns I've observed in a concise form, since people want to read about other things as well. You refine your understanding through learning so there are of course errors in my statements but I simply think that quick dismissal of traditions not at all researched here is not that objective.

The moment I mentioned pre-natal Chi/Kundalini, I knew that people would start quoting Beelzebub and ISOTM again and again in a reactive fashion.
But you seem to add rather sweeping statements even though you know that most, if not all, who have commented on this so far, are not people undertaking to get any kind of deep understandings of these kinds of things we discuss. And it takes a long time to be able to tell lies from even half-truths. The key is in the willingness to even inquire. You might say that this line of research isn't of high priority but then it is a good idea to be careful about generalising statements.

m said:
But then again, why did Gurdijeff alter the name significantly if it's referring to the same thing?

Because he wanted to?

What is important is his intention behind such changes, not what he simply arbitrarily changed around. If he intended to relay an important message, it would have been a good idea to use fitting words and not just borrow terms from systems alien to his own and even provide bogus evidence to back up changes in definition(for example, his Sanskrit etymology and depiction of "Indian psychopaths" is just plain laughable)
m said:
Or was he aware of something that all traditions accustomed to it were not? This is an interesting line of research, in my opinion.

He was merely stating the observable facts of the matter. fwiw.

Seems like you don't even take a second to question whether or not he could be "observing facts" by taking what might be a valid observation(causes for Man's ignorance) and connect it to terms from areas that he didn't study well or could have known. For what it's worth, there is little evidence that he actually talked to or study under any kind of credible masters connected to these "Indian psychopaths" or what Kundalini might be. He wasn't in India and neither was he in Tibet or China(neither did he speak or could read the necessary languages to be able to do any kind of sensible discussion). Even though in is often mentioned that he was in such locations, the time he was on his journeys were characterised by British Occupation of India and Tibet and being a Russian/Armenian, he would have been interred or expelled very quickly, given that his contemporary Alexandra David-Neel suffered from similar kinds of problems, even though she was better equipped to deal with the problems of these times.

{So he explains 'lina' as 'fomer' and 'buffer' as 'reflection', but doesn't mention 'kunda'. In Sanskrit it basically means 'trash pit', which brings to mind some colorful images and symbols to say the least.}
First off, there is no such ending as -lina in conjunction with the word.
It is either कुण्डलिन् (kuṇḍalin) or कुण्डलिनी(kuṇḍalinī). If you want to go for -lina(with a short i) as a past passive participle(which, according to Sanskrit Grammar, it has to), it means "hidden", or "concealed".
Kunda doesn't translate as "trash pit". The closest you get in that direction is a round hole in the ground.
As it is normally used, it appears as कुण्डलिन्(kuṇḍalin), which only has a couple meanings, namely "snake" as a noun and "to be decorated with earrings", when used as an adjective. The adjective directly refers to the sect of the Goraknathis who did wear rather big earrings pierced into split ears, which was done to modify a certain nadi channel. They were known to pass through the Kundalini phase of cultivation. The meaning of the noun is likely connected to the coiling sensation so commonly reported yet I don't think it necessarily betrays 4th density Lizzies at work.
कुण्डलिनी(kuṇḍalinī) is also non-ambiguous in its meaning, translating as z/shakti, an energy connected to the active, female principle and likely representing a form of Durga.

This seems to match with what he says in BT. Kundalini is part of the 'moving center', at the base of the spine. To fantasize and think about it that it is something more than it is would be 'psychopathy' in his view, and I think his statements about it in ISOTM and BT are perhaps designed to 'de-crystallize' the fanciful notions most people reading his work would have based on their reading of hocus-pocus occult works. But here he speaks of kundalini as a sensation, but nothing to get too worked up about.
I think this could have been the case. Seeing as Kundalini is traditionally designed as a warming stage which naturally arises as your thoughts and breath synch together. This is one possibility. There's more forceful methods but ultimately, in the primary sources, it is made clear that it is one of the lower levels of the yogic path, and is no big thing in itself. It is often not even called Kundalini, but all kinds of things so you have to find it in various designations that usually follow a long the lines of something female and something rather fierce or wild. In truth, I think it's just access to a deeper reservoir of life energy, probably why one of the Chinese designations translates as "pre-natal chi"

Long Hair topic and some pictures posted brings some memories from india. It is extremely common to find some saffron clothed or naked person with LONG hair , disgustingly unclean person lying on the side of the street, smoking raw tobacco virtually disassociated in their La La Land. I often wondered at this state of affair until I read ISOTM. In ISOTM , Gurdjeff talks of experiments conducted on the disciples by the schools. This is insane in all proportions and this disciples are expected to relinquish every thing, before they go to these guru schools ( means no help is possible except guru and guru is every thing).
This is India, my friend. The land that has built up a spiritual tourism industry to such a degree in the past 100 years that, unless you have proper connections and speak the right local language, you'll just be encountering charlatans and people that have discovered how to trick their devotees into paying for their retirement.
Which is why I highly doubt the sources of G.'s stories in this regard. His traveling period includes places that he was unlikely to have been to; prominently those that would have allowed anything resembling an informed understanding of the matters discussed so far.

I shall try to be more concise, anart. The reason I'm trying to describe certain terms in detail is because this is one of the topics that isn't mentioned here frequently, and as such, I want to avoid unneeded confusion. As I stated in my introduction post, I intend to share some of my knowledge here because I think that any knowledge of the first three paths helps one to understand aspects of the fourth way, seeing as Gurdijeff may have made unqualified statements with little or no backup.
I would assume that open minded research requires an inquiring mind free of preconceptions and it is a bit alarming that many members here seem to be offended when someone questions Gurdjieff's authority on certain matters. Broad generalisations, as they have occurred since my last post here and citation of quotes from G. in nearly every post are indicative to me that some people take these writings as "sacred text". I am suffering from the same problems from time to time, since mind searches for security, but people, please be aware that G. isn't some kind of ultimate truth bearer to be literally interpreted. Thanks for taking the time to find the relevant passages, Approaching Infinity.

Quote from: anart on September 25, 2011, 11:02:49 PM

Quote from: Medhavi on September 25, 2011, 09:33:39 PM

For some time, I shared your view on this topic as well and actually, I still feel uneasy about it. From a scientific perspective, I just can't take Gurdijeff as a reliable source on such matters considering that he is so opaque about where he got what kind of knowledge. I want to separate the man from his message and G. obviously had his own assumptions.

The observable fact of the matter is that Gurdjieff's information is clearly on target regarding humanity's state and human behavior. Your issue with his 'source' is not really relevant, when one understands his work and how clearly he describes human process and awakening.

No one source contains all truth. My issues with his sources are relevant for one can't just take words from a system alien to one and change it around(Kundabuffer?) to fit one's own theories without providing sufficient evidence that comes from primary sources or known people. Most of what makes up the legacy of Gurdijeff are actually quotes written down by the people he came into contact with like Ouspensky. So we have second hand accounts and texts like Beelzebub which got edited down, as Bennett reports, and even if you look at the draft, this got to be the most cryptic and confusing of his books. Do I fail to understand his work then? I leave this open as I am still studying his books again and again.

Quote from: m

I know that the perception of Kundalini in the West has largely been shaped by the predecessors of and the Human Potential/New Age movement itself. Now we have several articles here exploring how the New Age movement is a diversion and a trap.

Because it is a trap, as are many (if not all) eastern traditions. It can be no other way, Medhavi, at this point in the history of 3D STS planet earth.

You make rather strong statements considering that I just said that most of what is understood as Kundalini in the West now is largely derived from New Age interpretations of questionable sources(such as Gopi Krishna's popular account). Do you think it is wise to make broad assumptions about things that haven't been thoroughly researched and practised? The common practises that are done here(proper Diet, Breathing Exercises, Prayer, Self-observation) have been done before in what G. simplifies as the three paths. To simply design "them" as traps for the soul, even though all traditions are just sources of information which contain both false and true knowledge to various degrees, is a sign of a closed mind, wouldn't you agree?

The interesting thing here is that in the scriptures I've read and the people I've talked do catalogue "the fierce woman" or "the serpent energy"(because the strong energy feels like it coils itself around the central channel) as a natural phase of the path, but neither do they connect it to anything specifically worthwhile dwelling on nor as anything else but a natural progression of a revitalising progress(which is why it's called the access to pre-natal chi in Taoist schools)

I see no data to indicate that this does not mean that it is the source of man's dreaming. Man's dreaming is a 'natural state'.

How do you know that the phenomena discussed is related to deepening one's waking sleep in the first place? What is the source of this data, despite Gurdijeff?

When I first learned about this information I was already acquainted with the sheep believing themselves to be magicians allegory and was looking for this and that trap all over the place, yet I noticed that in whatever phase practitioners were in within the Eastern schools, it didn't seem to be clouding them in a dream bubble as I initially suspected.

And you think you are capable of telling that? I think it would be worthwhile for you to consider that you might be blind due to your interest in such traditions (i.e. you are identified).

As part of my research, I have to study the theoretical and practical aspects of some of the paths that you broadly design as "the eastern traditions" .
Since the work done by this group here so far has helped me a lot, as well as my areas of study, I am taking both into account.
I am as identified with my own research as you possibly are with yours. I hope you don't claim that it is possible to remain entirely detached from any extended research you undertake that has yielded benefit to yourself. I could ask the same questions about you, considering that you write your statements in a rather confident and fact-of-the-matter style.
The way you become able to tell to discern something from another is dependent on your intellectual framework and corresponding experience which results in different degrees of awareness. The same way you become able to do what you can do on this forum through research and experience.

Their presence was strengthened but otherwise, the search for knowledge went on.

How do you know that their 'presence was strengthened'? I posit that you cannot know such a thing.

You have more than a purely intellectual stance. Doesn't mean I am blindly following my feelings but the very topic of this thread is about that: There's many ways to get information without intellectual guesswork, and we have more than one sense organ. What we can "tell" about others, is derived from the sum of our sense organs(whatever their number may be). If someone has strong electromagnetic fields emanating from his body due to his practise, you can certainly feel that if you're in the same room.

No playing with powers.

That does not mean they were not more deeply lost in their waking sleep.

Are you making the assumption that there is no possibility that all throughout the ages, anyone not officially associated with G's depiction of the Fourth Way may have been trying to look for an objective sense of reality, the same way you and I are, and may have attained different degrees of success or failure?

Now there are stories from India which suggest people who got fixated on this particular thing at this stage and they certainly seemed to be playing around with powers and appeared deluded in general. But then I asked myself: what use is my awareness if I can't discern knowledge from ignorance and become enamored with some neutral process going on in my body. And it is emphasised that it is largely a physical process.

I'm not sure what your point really is with the above, can you clarify? In general, actually, it would be appreciated if you could work on being more concise with your posts. It is externally considerate to do so.

I am avoiding completely foreign terms as much as possible and trying to clarify matters where people are easily tempted to put up an indoctrinated view(which citing G. on such matters actually is) that lacks qualified evidence to back it up.
What I meant was that most traditions associated with pursuing knowledge warn of such people that get obsessed at such a tempting stage. Obsession, as we know, leads to stagnation and delusion. The analogy with the obsessive diet researcher was used to depict that, and nothing else was intended.
The point is that the process or phenomena itself is rarely the culprit, but the wisdom or lack of wisdom of the being is.

So what I am left with is that the West has made a great fuss out of this particular stage(since it appears so early; simply synching breath and thought provokes it already) and made it into a kind of goal. Now while I actually doubt that many achieve genuine cultivation of this stage, it is pretty clear how this goal setting makes people ignorant of the overall process who then proceed to believe themselves to be magicians. And that's where a soul gets stuck.
But then I ask, is it the energy, which according to the traditions I've researched, is an inevitable part of life, or the wisdom of the practitioner that is at fault here?

I think that is a false dichotomy you are setting up. It matters not whose 'fault' it is - the energy itself is the source of man's dreaming - it is the veil that keeps man trapped in his current condition. To strengthen that energy is to strengthen the sleep and delusion.
Again, you seem to be sure that your premise- that this energy is what G. says it is- is beyond challenge. I think it may be profitable for you to notice that you state things in a factual manner, even though you know that G. is not exactly a good source for this kind of thing, by all standards of research. I might similarly ask you if you are not overly attached to his every word?

After all, I might get enamored with adjusting my diet and researching this and that diet style for all my life, and might stop to do any self-observation or anything else at all, keeping me stuck in 3rd density.

I think this is an uneven comparison. If you're trying to say that obsession at any stage is stagnation, I would agree but that doesn't make the kundalini energy anything other than what it is.

You claim absolute knowledge of "what it is". The C's have stated that it is crucial to think in limitless terms. For that, you have a rather narrow view of what is and what is not.

but G.'s description doesn't seem to match anything coming out of non-Gurdijeffian traditions.

That does not mean that he is not correct. You seem to put a lot of stock in many eastern traditions and an objective look at the state of those people and those societies might help you to realize that they are lacking. If they were not, things would be different - it can be no other way.

Do you "want" him to be correct? All I am saying is that there is not much credible evidence outside of his own writings that what he writes in regard to what he has neither experienced nor researched can be taken for anything other than an interesting story.
Of course, and that is what I have been asking before, is his Kundabuffer related to the actual Kundalini, if it exists, or is his depiction designed to, as has been suggested, deconstruct the assumptions of the people of his time that were influenced by such hodge-podge groups like the Theosophical Society of the Golden Dawn? That man's dead, so we can't ask him. So you have to look for sources beyond his statements.
An "objective look" at any kind of society reveals its ugliness. What has that to do with what has been developed within them? Do I dismiss Gurdijeff or Castaneda based on how their disciples ended up? Do I dismiss Fulcanelli because various alchemical societies before and after his time might be shady in character? Can I actually take "an objective look" at any kind of society or groups of individuals without exactly knowing what they do for what reasons and what kind of layer they are part of?(Like Exoteric, Mesoteric and Esoteric)
I am not sure if you are intending to do this, since I respect your work here, but you come off as quite arrogant with these statements.
The way you put your words suggests that by just making me take an "objective look"(by what standards?) I might just realise them to be something that you already have pre-defined. Of course they are lacking, like every other source or tradition, but you come off like someone who has done an incredible amount of research into all matters discussed here so far and can easily judge what is and what is not. On what kind of supposedly immense knowledge is this based?

The Ch'an school in China doesn't even really mention Kundalini, yet the practitioners pass through this stage without losing their awareness; at least the one's I've seen.

Again, I find it really interesting that you think you could tell whether or not someone has 'lost their awareness'.

Of course I might deceive myself but it doesn't mean that I can't attempt to judge people in terms of their own systems and what I know from outside of their own, to see whether or not things work. To be able to tell things from another, it requires diligent study and I am not expecting people here to take up such matters in these directions themselves. All I am looking for is some kind of open-mindedness and your strong statements on matters little discussed and not sufficiently researched seem to be rather uncalled for.

What my personal question is, before anything fruitful can be accomplished here, is why Gurdijeff changed "Kundalini" to "Kundabuffer" if they are the same.

What difference does that make? G often wrote and spoke in metaphor. It actually has no bearing on the truth of the situation at all.

Of course it makes a difference. You can't even have a sensible discussion before you clear up the definitions on the table. You seem to insist that one kind of truth is absolute and that what other traditions write and do is simply irrelevant. Do you sincerely want to learn and expand your learning to gain more knowledge or have you already solidified a view that you have become attached to?

How Kundabuffer is defined is pretty clear initially, seeing as he made it one of the main topics of Beelzebub; it is the source of delusion and grandeur and along with the moon, it was created through a "cosmic accident". But he also reasons something along the lines of civilization being increasingly controlled by this Kundabuffer, as time progresses, and therefore becoming machines instead of waking up.

Yes.

This particular notion puzzled me because here, it gets cosmological significance, whereas in the eastern cultivation traditions, it is part of the mind-body transformation and it is left at that.

I don't think so. Everything has "cosmological significance", as you put it, including mind-body aspects of reality - and it has mind-body significance, there is no difference, so I'm not sure why you're stating that there is.

What I mean is that G. is likely taking things out of their context, renaming them and constructing a certain view. Even though most of what he has written is relevant and helpful, certain assumptions of his, or at least the textual depictions we are left with now, have to be tested for their validity, especially when they sound rather questionable, given the decades of research since his demise.

If someone gets all heroic and deludes himself into believing to have achieved true transformation, he is reminded that he is at the initial stages of the overall path, so awareness is applied to keep him progressing.

Perhaps, but if a person is convinced that he can tell whether or not others have 'lost their awareness' isn't that the same thing? Can you consider the idea that you may not understand what you think you understand?

No, it isn't exactly the same thing. There's many gates to the Truth, and what I am stating here is that people ain't stupid everywhere. Gurdijeff isn't the first guy to do this kind of work and there's huge amounts of research to be done in various traditions to see what can be done and how it was generally done. I brought up patterns I've observed in a concise form, since people want to read about other things as well. You refine your understanding through learning so there are of course errors in my statements but I simply think that quick dismissal of traditions not at all researched here is not that objective.

The moment I mentioned pre-natal Chi/Kundalini, I knew that people would start quoting Beelzebub and ISOTM again and again in a reactive fashion.
But you seem to add rather sweeping statements even though you know that most, if not all, who have commented on this so far, are not people undertaking to get any kind of deep understandings of these kinds of things we discuss. And it takes a long time to be able to tell lies from even half-truths. The key is in the willingness to even inquire. You might say that this line of research isn't of high priority but then it is a good idea to be careful about generalising statements.

But then again, why did Gurdijeff alter the name significantly if it's referring to the same thing?

Because he wanted to?

What is important is his intention behind such changes, not what he simply arbitrarily changed around. If he intended to relay an important message, it would have been a good idea to use fitting words and not just borrow terms from systems alien to his own and even provide bogus evidence to back up changes in definition(for example, his Sanskrit etymology and depiction of "Indian psychopaths" is just plain laughable)

Or was he aware of something that all traditions accustomed to it were not? This is an interesting line of research, in my opinion.

He was merely stating the observable facts of the matter. fwiw.

Seems like you don't even take a second to question whether or not he could be "observing facts" by taking what might be a valid observation(causes for Man's ignorance) and connect it to terms from areas that he didn't study well or could have known. For what it's worth, there is little evidence that he actually talked to or study under any kind of credible masters connected to these "Indian psychopaths" or what Kundalini might be. He wasn't in India and neither was he in Tibet or China(neither did he speak or could read the necessary languages to be able to do any kind of sensible discussion). Even though in is often mentioned that he was in such locations, the time he was on his journeys were characterised by British Occupation of India and Tibet and being a Russian/Armenian, he would have been interred or expelled very quickly, given that his contemporary Alexandra David-Neel suffered from similar kinds of problems, even though she was better equipped to deal with the problems of these times.

{So he explains 'lina' as 'fomer' and 'buffer' as 'reflection', but doesn't mention 'kunda'. In Sanskrit it basically means 'trash pit', which brings to mind some colorful images and symbols to say the least.}

First off, there is no such ending as -lina in conjunction with the word.
It is either कुण्डलिन् (kuṇḍalin) or कुण्डलिनी(kuṇḍalinī). If you want to go for -lina(with a short i) as a past passive participle(which, according to Sanskrit Grammar, it has to), it means "hidden", or "concealed".
Kunda doesn't translate as "trash pit". The closest you get in that direction is a round hole in the ground.
As it is normally used, it appears as कुण्डलिन्(kuṇḍalin), which only has a couple meanings, namely "snake" as a noun and "to be decorated with earrings", when used as an adjective. The adjective directly refers to the sect of the Goraknathis who did wear rather big earrings pierced into split ears, which was done to modify a certain nadi channel. They were known to pass through the Kundalini phase of cultivation. The meaning of the noun is likely connected to the coiling sensation so commonly reported yet I don't think it necessarily betrays 4th density Lizzies at work.
कुण्डलिनी(kuṇḍalinī) is also non-ambiguous in its meaning, translating as z/shakti, an energy connected to the active, female principle and likely representing a form of Durga.

This seems to match with what he says in BT. Kundalini is part of the 'moving center', at the base of the spine. To fantasize and think about it that it is something more than it is would be 'psychopathy' in his view, and I think his statements about it in ISOTM and BT are perhaps designed to 'de-crystallize' the fanciful notions most people reading his work would have based on their reading of hocus-pocus occult works. But here he speaks of kundalini as a sensation, but nothing to get too worked up about.

I think this could have been the case. Seeing as Kundalini is traditionally designed as a warming stage which naturally arises as your thoughts and breath synch together. This is one possibility. There's more forceful methods but ultimately, in the primary sources, it is made clear that it is one of the lower levels of the yogic path, and is no big thing in itself. It is often not even called Kundalini, but all kinds of things so you have to find it in various designations that usually follow a long the lines of something female and something rather fierce or wild. In truth, I think it's just access to a deeper reservoir of life energy, probably why one of the Chinese designations translates as "pre-natal chi"

Long Hair topic and some pictures posted brings some memories from india. It is extremely common to find some saffron clothed or naked person with LONG hair , disgustingly unclean person lying on the side of the street, smoking raw tobacco virtually disassociated in their La La Land. I often wondered at this state of affair until I read ISOTM. In ISOTM , Gurdjeff talks of experiments conducted on the disciples by the schools. This is insane in all proportions and this disciples are expected to relinquish every thing, before they go to these guru schools ( means no help is possible except guru and guru is every thing).

This is India, my friend. The land that has built up a spiritual tourism industry to such a degree in the past 100 years that, unless you have proper connections and speak the right local language, you'll just be encountering charlatans and people that have discovered how to trick their devotees into paying for their retirement.
Which is why I highly doubt the sources of G.'s stories in this regard. His traveling period includes places that he was unlikely to have been to; prominently those that would have allowed anything resembling an informed understanding of the matters discussed so far, yet alone a differentiation of the different levels of the schools in regards to the exoteric and the esoteric.

Medhavi, being concise is very important. Could you please try a little harder?

I apologize that I came across to you the way I did. I never said that one source contains all truth, nor that G knew all there was to know, nor did I say anything to lead you to any of the other conclusions you have come to regarding my understanding of things. In fact, I don't see any conclusion that you've come to regarding my understanding or frame of mind that is correct. I was too simple in my answers to you and that is my mistake, so, again, my apologies.

I appear to have 'scratched your self-importance' a bit with my response, and that was actually unintentional in this case.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to get into a debate with you about the veracity of Gurdjieff's information. This forum is not for debate. If you are sincerely interested in that, the forum and associated web pages are filled with information for you. Since this forum is in part based on his work, if you are not interested in Gurdjieff or not satisfied with his work, then perhaps other forums would be more enjoyable for you. Of course he did not have 'the whole banana' but he has come closer than most in his description of reality and his conclusions are increasingly proven with modern psychological understanding.

Again, if you are going to continue to participate here, please work on being concise - you could make your points much more clearly and much more quickly which is externally considerate to the people on this forum who tend to read hundreds of posts each day.

Medhavi said:

I am studying your reaction to Gurdjieff's words; that even today, irritate your identification with your intellectual studies. You might find it interesting to examine your reply, looking for projection onto others what you have not recognized in yourself.

Seeing the reality of things often depends on a capacity to study one's self and understand metaphor, rather than searching the library for the literal needle. I wish you the best in your search, Medhavi.

Which is why I highly doubt the sources of G.'s stories in this regard. His traveling period includes places that he was unlikely to have been to; prominently those that would have allowed anything resembling an informed understanding of the matters discussed so far, yet alone a differentiation of the different levels of the schools in regards to the exoteric and the esoteric.
[/quote]
I was borned and raised there for quarter century, always contemplating the personal/societal/spiritual/political life ( often wondering why I am doing ) there and trying to understand situation. you can easily understand political situation- at that time I thought selfish, brutal, mostly uneducated rulers, now I understand it is simply psychopathic. Spiritual situation always puzzled me with all its contradictions- mystery, controversies, miracles, financial/sexual abuses, laughable stupidities in different shades. Poverty can make any body to do lot of abusive things. At the end, What G mentioned explained all the shades of spiritual contradictions along with nature of hyper dimensional control on individual spiritual aspirant level and at society level for its resources( including children).

Obviously, you have some emotional attachment to Kundalini phenomenon. I can understand it, as I had the same before. so If you haven't read
G's work , you may want to read and contemplate. while reading, More sacred cows you had, more shocks to understanding is expected. Worth it. No anticipation during the process. Let it unfold.

Hi Medhavi,

As a new participant in this forum, you have raised some points which merit some clarification. First, if you look closely at the organizing principle behind this forum, you will see that this is based on research and networking - and blind faith or belief has no place here. This is true for the inspiration behind this whole enterprise - the C's, as well as anyone else including Gurdjieff.

Another aspect of forum which takes some time to get used to - at least it did for me - is that here one is interested in objective knowledge which empowers people in regular life. The scope of subjects under discussion is not arbitrarily limited but in the end, the main line of force is towards topics and discussions which help understand the condition of humanity and the world as it is at present from which avenues of progress are identified.

The reason G's work is valued in the forum is for its practicality. People are aware of the limitations of his teachings here, yet his ability to see the forest without getting lost in the trees is apparent in his work - a fact which has gradually become clear with practical experiences of this group while living and interacting in regular life.

Eastern traditions hold a great fascination for many - I myself have a personal interest in them. I am also acutely aware of the limitations of what at least some of them have to offer to a person who remains in regular society and leads a regular life instead of being sequestered in a monastic setting. I have neither enough knowledge nor enough experience to speak authoritatively on the theoretical aspects of Hinduism or Buddhism - but from what I have gleaned about them indicates that outside of monastic circles, people would only get scraps of information which could at best be incentives to join the monastic order or at worst, intoxicating agents which often leave people (or even societies) stuck in their life paths. Many have studied these traditions from an intellectual perspective and marvelled at the apparent richness and diversity of content . Yet as far as real, measurable change in "being" is concerned - which shows itself in a person's daily life and activities - the general results for regular people at least in my experience has been less than flattering. At the end of the day, how great a tradition is has little meaning for me personally if they do not help me in producing change in a direction that makes me see and act more effectively in the world as it is today while staying true to some fundamental principles.

I am not writing this to discourage you from your research and areas of interest but to state a personal realization which has taken some time to crystallize. It may be of some value to others or not.

My issues with his sources are relevant for one can't just take words from a system alien to one and change it around(Kundabuffer?) to fit one's own theories without providing sufficient evidence that comes from primary sources or known people.

You can't if you're an academic... But Gurdjieff wasn't writing a textbook. I think an academic approach can help in identifying sources and stuff like that (which can be a worthwhile and fun pursuit, IMO), but it can also cause one to miss out on his humor and, more importantly, his real point in writing what he wrote. Based on my own reading and experience, he often wrote the truth in the form of a lie (like any good fiction or mythology) and was a pretty darn good satirist. In that context, I don't think his sources really matter. Of course, you can choose not to 'believe' what he writes for any number of reasons: "he spelled that word wrong", "he doesn't cite his source for this or that", "he wasn't peer-reviewed" :halo: etc. But you just might end up missing the forest for the trees.

He wasn't in India and neither was he in Tibet or China(neither did he speak or could read the necessary languages to be able to do any kind of sensible discussion). Even though in is often mentioned that he was in such locations, the time he was on his journeys were characterised by British Occupation of India and Tibet and being a Russian/Armenian, he would have been interred or expelled very quickly, given that his contemporary Alexandra David-Neel suffered from similar kinds of problems, even though she was better equipped to deal with the problems of these times.

You may appreciate the latest biography on Gurdjieff, by Paul Beekman Taylor: Gurdjieff: A New Life. He has some interesting things to say on Gurdjieff's 'journeys'.

Those are some great looking locks Ask_a_debtor. "I" too have dreads, although not as long as yours, but in the last few weeks, i've gotten the urge to comb them out. "I" have only combed out six, but a ton of dead hairs came out with them. If hair really may function as an antenna, i wonder what the effect of getting all the dead hairs out will be. "I" am going to take before and after pictures to see if there are any changes physically besides never needing a pillow :D. "I" will also be more self observant to see if there is any change in my psychic state.

For me, though growing up in Kenya where it is believed that men especially of my tribe have to have short hair, and be circumcised, but not at birth, oh no anywhere from ages 4 up so they can feel everything, and in my tribe they like to do it the old fashioned way, no anesthetics! can you say ouch :O. "I" underwent it when i was about 9 in order to become a "man"; after going through it i felt that something in me had been changed forever, although i couldn't quite put my finger on it. Interestingly enough, during the procedure i cried uncontrollably even though there was no physical pain. In the photos of the celebration after me and the other guy who both got mutilated have healed (at least physically), you can clearly see from my body language that i am traumatized, i am looking down with my hands clutched over my groin area.

Getting my hair cut always threw me off balance, my emotions would be in flux, and i would just feel cut off, bad, and depressed (subjective i know). It at least for me is kind of like circumcision although not as traumatic because its not as permanent.

But, interestingly enough after changing and sticking to the paleo diet. "I" have noticed a couple of physical as well as psychic changes. One of the most obvious physical changes is that i've actuall grown taller after years of stagnation in my height. While this might be attributable to a late puberty growth spurt (im 20), im kind of leaning towards the fact that the change in diet caused various other changes to take place like hormonally, etc. "I" also have renewed hair growth all over my body, i know have 6 count them 6 chin hairs :thup: :D.

Perhaps the biggest change that has occured in my life after deciding to grow my hair (which by the way was a huge fight because of culture), is that i have chosen to walk the path of awakening to its end or should i say beginning. Again could be due to many factors, but still if i look back on my life it was symbolic of me trying to find and walk my own path not, that predetrmined by heredity, socio-cultural programming, etc.

But know for some good ol speculation:
mkrnhr said:
FWIW, from the Wave:
Q: I have an idea relating to the ancient gods and heroes... they all had these massive amounts of hair, and it seemed that cutting off the hair caused them to lose their strength in some way. Was this totally symbolic, or was it actually believed that they had to grow their hair?
A: Symbolic.
Q: What was the hair symbolic of?
A: Virility.

Okay, since virility is synonymous with libido/life force, perhaps for some if hair really does function as an antenna long hair could provide them with the hardware that they need in order to access subtle energies to a greater extent than others making them more "potent", and maybe not only access it, but also store it in some manner. Its out there i know.

Some interesting facts regarding this issue,

CATS, someone mentioned cat´s whiskers, not only the whiskers, there are some vids in you tube where they attach a bit of tape to a cat and they become totally confused, if the tape is in their right side they will walk to their left as if pushed gently in an awkward way, if on top they will crawl as if they were being pushed from above....mildly cruel experiment, yet very interesting and somewhat ´funny´ results.

WOMEN in Indonesia, Bali in particular, young women especially preteen and teen have long, very long hair as to indicate readyness of age, and availability they subsequently cut it shorter when they marry. They also have this custom of cutting it very short when they are "frustrated" being that mainly because of love affairs (have been dumped, rejected or broken hearted). Older women who still boast long manes are usually single and have not been married before. How is that for an example of antenna function!!

MAN here also have the custom of not cutting or shave for the entire period of their spouses pregnancy, from conception to birth, allegedly as a form of EMPATHY (simbolic only?) as in sharing the difficulties and hardship of pregnancy cutting it afterwards if they used to have it short.

Also most supernatural or spiritual figures (white and black magicians, healers..), and also high caste well positioned individuals usually have long hair.

As a side unrelated comment a lot of these healers if not all do smoke and say can´t function or perform without it, usually lighting up right before starting to ask/touch/treat the patient and all throught he process, in between patients and what not.

My 2 cents.

Approaching Infinity said:
My issues with his sources are relevant for one can't just take words from a system alien to one and change it around(Kundabuffer?) to fit one's own theories without providing sufficient evidence that comes from primary sources or known people.

You can't if you're an academic... But Gurdjieff wasn't writing a textbook. I think an academic approach can help in identifying sources and stuff like that (which can be a worthwhile and fun pursuit, IMO), but it can also cause one to miss out on his humor and, more importantly, his real point in writing what he wrote. Based on my own reading and experience, he often wrote the truth in the form of a lie (like any good fiction or mythology) and was a pretty darn good satirist. In that context, I don't think his sources really matter. Of course, you can choose not to 'believe' what he writes for any number of reasons: "he spelled that word wrong", "he doesn't cite his source for this or that", "he wasn't peer-reviewed" :halo: etc. But you just might end up missing the forest for the trees.

Can relate to that, just finished BT and starting Meetings, one gets the impression that it is not (or not only) content which is important but the form and structure of his writing that holds the value and is most intentional.

As if is designed to carry the reader by use of hypnotic techniques like confusion, overload, distraction, loop story telling and such with the intention of bringing about some or other realization or shattering of beliefs,

Sure absurdity and outright lies are used for that so extracting bits and pieces out of context especially out of BT to approve or disprove his whole work or the validity of his knowledge of any particular line of work can get pretty pointless and even counterproductive.

FWIW.

Alright, here's my 2 cents.

I can't imagine with all the different skin types and body types and hair types and climates around that world that there'd be some universal absolute law that long hair is good or bad.

That being said, I can see how it may benefit some people groups and/or individuals. I myself have always really really really wanted long hair. But due to parents, schools, and jobs, I've never been able to get it much longer than about 4-5 inches. Why I want long hair, I can't explain. It's just a desire down at the pit of my being with no fashion related or logical explanation. Is this some cosmic esoteric desire?? Who knows!! ;)

And another (silly?) little thing to add to this question for the C's-
Does hair product (gel, pomade, spray, etc..) effect it at all??
Just a thought..

Oh and I've been rockin' a beard for over a year now. LOVE IT!

Oh and I'm sure others have mentioned this already but in response to the people who've suggested this isn't an important enough topic to bring to the C's, I consider this just as important as any diet or tobacco related questions.
To each his own :)

Ok now I have longer hair I fell something as aura around me maybe it is from felling hair at my neck but it gives more sensitiveness :cool2:

Stones said:
Oh and I'm sure others have mentioned this already but in response to the people who've suggested this isn't an important enough topic to bring to the C's, I consider this just as important as any diet or tobacco related questions.
To each his own :)

To each his own yeah, but I don't see the analogy with the topics you bring up, regarding the importance of them in relation to this one.

I see tobacco use and diet as two topics that seem to be very important to many of the members of this forum and I wanted to state that I see this question as just as important to me.

Back
Top Bottom