Water

Hi all,

I also have a question regarding destilled water. Is it the same that is used for ironing?.
In that case, according to the labelling ,it is not advisable for other uses,except ironing and
others that have nothing to do with drinking.

Elisa said:
Hi all,

I also have a question regarding destilled water. Is it the same that is used for ironing?.
In that case, according to the labelling ,it is not advisable for other uses,except ironing and
others that have nothing to do with drinking.

Yes it is. It is unfortunately common sense, that distilled water is not for drinking, maybe this water you buy is not the best quality you get, like the distilled water from your own machine for example, nonetheless it is drinkable.

Unhappily it is a too long time ago, to remember the facts of ironing water and the difference of quality of buyable distilled water and filtering it with a machine.

Tigersoap said:
I have a question, we usually buy distilled water in plastic bottle but last week I tasted it and there was a horrible chemical taste to it that wasn't there before.
I smelled the inside of the bottle and it smelled almost like gasoline !!
I bought another one of the same brand and the smell of gasoline was also very strong, so of course we haven't drank from it and use a britta filter for the moment.
My taste is more sensitive than before but something is wrong.

Anyone encountered this problem ? Do you think there could be something else added in the water that could cause this ?
I was wondering if the batch where the bottles came from wasn't contaminated with another substance like a cleaning product for the machines or something ?

I will test with another brand to see if the problem persist and I hope this won't be the case.

Something similar happened to me a longer time ago, when I used to buy distilled water. I bought a can that tasted like washing powder. And the reason I assumed was, because next to the cans in the shop, stood washing power and fabric softener.

Maybe try another brand.

I'm not sure about a gasoline or other chemical taste, Mr. Tigersoap. But when I drink out of a plastic container I can taste the plastic in it. It really makes a difference what you drink out of once you drink pure water out of inert containers.

Regarding ironing: the reason they say to use distilled water is to avoid mineral buildup. When I was young they used to call it demineralized water. All this means is that most of the organic and mineral impurities have been removed through distillation. Modern distillation often involves reverse osmosis and significant filtration and what results should be pretty pure H2O.

There are many other appliances that recommend using distilled water as well, including humidifiers and even CPAP machines (used to treat sleep apnea). This just helps avoid corrosion and mineral buildup that could impair the appliance's functioning.

I'd drink distilled water over Brita filtered tap water or spring water. Brita will not remove chemical toxins like fluoride and bottled spring water does not have to go through the rigorous testing for organic toxins as the industry isn't regulated the way municipal tap water is. So there could be all sorts of critters in the spring water and no one would ever know.
Of course now I have to rant for a moment about bottled spring water companies. Nestle only has to pay for a water taking permit that allows them to remove as much water as the permit dictates. The fee for permits is usually in the low thousands and they end up taking millions of gallons and make enormous profits, far greater than big oil could ever attain. Meanwhile, water tables in these water-taking areas continue to drop. They will take the last drop, leach the water table dry and move on to the next area unless they are stopped. Since governments wait until a crisis or tragedy before they act, it is up to consumers to stop buying spring water from the multinationals and perhaps stick to distilled water from one's own area.

Here endeth my rant.
Gonzo

Tigersoap said:
I have a question, we usually buy distilled water in plastic bottle but last week I tasted it and there was a horrible chemical taste to it that wasn't there before.
I smelled the inside of the bottle and it smelled almost like gasoline !!I bought another one of the same brand and the smell of gasoline was also very strong, so of course we haven't drank from it and use a britta filter for the moment.
My taste is more sensitive than before but something is wrong.

Anyone encountered this problem ? Do you think there could be something else added in the water that could cause this ?
I was wondering if the batch where the bottles came from wasn't contaminated with another substance like a cleaning product for the machines or something ?

I will test with another brand to see if the problem persist and I hope this won't be the case.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic

The raw materials needed to make most plastics come from petroleum and natural gas.[4]

Ok thank you guys, I bought another brand and it does not smell or taste anything except a faint plastic smell and taste.
So I suppose the other brand has been contaminated (?) with something nasty or the plastic they used is mixing itself with the water...

The water over here is supposed to be "clean" and drinkable but we noticed that each time we had to drink it even when filtered through the brita we were feeling quite heavy afterwards, it's always a last resort.

Tigersoap said:
Ok thank you guys, I bought another brand and it does not smell or taste anything except a faint plastic smell and taste.

Several years ago, I drank distilled water from a plastic bottle that tasted a little like plastic. Once I started to use the FIR blanket, I had a strong plastic taste in my mouth every sauna session until I stopped drinking the distilled water from the plastic bottle. So... you might want to think about getting a distiller if you can.

[quote author=anart]
Several years ago, I drank distilled water from a plastic bottle that tasted a little like plastic. Once I started to use the FIR blanket, I had a strong plastic taste in my mouth every sauna session until I stopped drinking the distilled water from the plastic bottle. So... you might want to think about getting a distiller if you can.
[/quote]

Bought a distiller some months ago and the plastic bottle it came with is # 7 plastic; not good at all. There is a lady in town who is a potter and is making me a container to the specifications of the original to fit the distiller. For now am immediately dumping into a secondary glass container, but your right Anart, the plastic is very notable, especially once your accustom to not drinking from plastic bottles then do so again.

The up side of the clay fired container is that no light will get in and the down side may be that any undesirables in the glaze might be pulled into the water but it is likely minimal, unlike the old glazes that contained lead.

anart said:

We usually put the water into a glass bottle and I can't discern any other taste afterwards but there must be some chemicals which have leaked into the water since a long time anyway.

Which reminds me I haven't done the FIR blanket in a good while :|

A distiller would be great indeed, thank you for the advice.

Is the safety of drinking from plastic containers not in question due to the possibility of them leaching xenoestrogens?

Xenoestrogens in the food chain were linked with all sorts of health problems and emotional disturbance.

Industrial Water Purification

Info on one established at our small site (workplace), where i had to research, what parts our system should be composed of. The name industrial proved to mean two things:

1. water purification modules are bigger. Can it mean that, since water is flowing through a larger mass of purifier material, it ought to get cleaner?

2. System is assembled by professional technicians. Who don't mistakenly put two system elements together in a reverse order, like the putting the contaminated filtered sludge outflow into the kitchen tap outflow (please hold your glass under there) as reported in a lot of cases. Also who don't put replacement parts necessary in 2/3/6 months together in reversed order, like it happens with retail consumers.

Tapwater goes in:

50 micron filter first, containing white crystalline looking pellets:
_http://www.micronwaterfilterguide.com/wp-content/uploads/50%20micron%20water%20filter.jpg

Big activated coal filter, height 1.4meter, like the green thing on the photo below:
_http://www.recycler.com/Uploads/9a11a9eb-266e-49cf-94a8-ae5ccbabf2a4-500.jpg

30 micron filter

Two UV filters beside each other (lamps) supposedly killing organisms, bacteria, etc..:
_http://ezermester.hu/articles/images/2009/10/haztartasiviz_02.jpg

20 micron filter

purified water comes out. Needs to disgorge a few liters into the drain until it "comes online". Price of the system was around 700.000 HUF = ~2500 EUR = ~3600 USD. (275HUF/EUR, 193HUF/USD) including assembling.

The slower water flows through the system, the better the filtering performance and cleaner the water. In goes common tap water possibly gotten from the really contaminated Danube in our capitol, this tap-water is filtered at some communal industrial water-plant. Supposedly they leave in the hormones from pills and a lots of evil things, because they don't have the tech (funding) to get those out.

After just a few test runs (our small plant in the Capitol isn't operative yet) in the first 50 micron filter there appeared light brown patches of algae like sludge. Appetizing, mm.. The water tastes like filtered water gotten from a mop-up bucket. (I'm a country guy) I wonder why even the cheap mineral water tastes better, that is gotten from a well (same city) gaining its water - hopefully - from the groundwater table and not the river Danube. The other sort of mineral water i drink just for it's awesome taste is claimed to be gathered from 13 real springs in nature. Well, i tasted the best spring-water in my life years ago, coming from a real natural spring. Since then i prefer mineral water. Read enough horror stories about small and cheap "complete" retail solutions - price being for the most expensive ~190.000 HUF = 690EUR/984USD to not trust these at all.

If i ever will undertake water purification, it will be specialized equipment using as source a well tasting and expensive mineral water sort that was laboratory tested first to see what to take out of it.

The resulting purified water from our system was sent to a private owned laboratory 'specializing' in food and water testing. They first told us, the test parameters (toxic stuffs) we gave them and we would have liked to be measured, were for testing public bath water . Err.. what? I told them the parameters are being used by the big guys at the Public Health Office for water purity. After this they sent their official report. We asked them for their opinion as well: is this purified water acceptable to be used to make in yogurt drink? The answer was, that the KOI ps content was too high so we cannot use it to make yogurt drink.

The young engineer - possibly 'of the new formation' (G.) told me, that i can drink this water at home, safely, just it cannot be used by the food industry, namely we won't get the certificate.

So i can drink it, but it is too poisonous to drive through the food industry, to be given to people to drink it at the end.

Good thinking!
;D

http://www.findaspring.com/

This may be helpful in locating natural springs nearby. Works wonders for me and it allows the addition of information about the springs after you test the water.

Flux2012 said:
http://www.findaspring.com/

This may be helpful in locating natural springs nearby. Works wonders for me and it allows the addition of information about the springs after you test the water.

Helpful resource indeed - thanks :)

I have a question for those who have bought and used a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system. I recently bought a RO system from this place. _http://www.reverseosmosis.com/products/Pro%252dSeries-4-Stage-Reverse-Osmosis-System.html

I did install it myself and it works great. Per instructions I did put 3/4 quarters of a teaspoon of bleach in the system without the filters in place to decontaminate it. My question is how many times did you have to flush the external tank before the water tasted pure? I had a glass of the RO water today and it seemed to burn my mouth a bit. So I flushed the tank for the 2nd time today. Has anyone had any experience with this burning taste?

Back
Top Bottom