Water

FWIW Nora Gedgaudas writes in her book Primal Body, Primal Mind also about water and brings up the Berkey-Water-Filtration System, which needs no power at all to filtrate the water and the (more expensive) filters last for several years, so it is really cheap compared to other systems.

Also it was a little discussed on the forum already, but not many details were shared.

To me it sounds promising to save some money for electrical power in not using a distiller anymore and in any case power failures are happening still filtered water could be used.

Here are some destails about the filter and what it filters out (Black Berkey filter):

VIRUSES >99.999%
Exceeds purification standards:
MS2 - Fr Coliphage

PATHOGENIC BACTERIA, CYSTS AND PARASITES >99.9999%
Exceeds purification standards:
E. Coli - Klebsiella - Pseudomonas Aeruginosa - Giardia - Cryptosporidium - Raoultella Terrigena

TRIHALOMETHANES
Removed to below detectable limits:
Bromodichloromethane - Bromoform - Chloroform - Dibromochloromethane
(Health effects: muscle & nervous system disorders, cancer)

RADIOLOGICALS
Radon 222

INORGANIC MINERALS
Chlorine Residual
(Health effects: birth defects, cancer)

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
Removed to below detectable limits

Alachlor
Atrazine
Benzene
Carbofuran
Carbon Tetrachloride
Chlorine
Chlorobenzene
Chloroform
2,4-D
DBCP
p-Dichlorobenzene
o-Dichlorobenzene
1,1-Dichloroethane
1,2-Dichloroethane
1,1-Dichloroethylene
cis1,2_Dichloroethylene
Trans_1,2_Dichloroethylene
1,2-Dichloropropane
cis-l,3-Dichloropropylene
Dinoseb
Endrin

Ethylbenzene
Ethylene Dibromide (EDB)
Heptachlor
Heptachlor Epoxide
Hexachlorobutadiene
Hexachlorocyclopentadiene
Lindane
Methoxychlor
MTBE
Pentachlorophenol
Simazine
Styrene
1,1,2,2-Tetrachloroethane
Tetrachloroethylene
Toluene
2,4,5-TP (Silvex)
1,2,4-trichlorobenzene
1,1,1-trichloroethane
1,1,2-trichloroethane
Trichloroethylene
o-Xylene
m-Xylene
p-Xylene

HEAVY METALS
Reduced by up to 95%:

Lead kidney
Mercury
Aluminum
Cadmium
Chromium liver
Copper

ALSO REMOVES OR REDUCES

rust, silt, sediments, detergents, cloudiness, iron, nitrates & nitrites, organic solvents, foul taste and odors.

How the Black Berkey water filter elements work.

The unique Berkey design combines the age-old process of micro-porous filtration coupled with modern state-of-the-art technology and the highest quality materials to bring you the finest water purification system available anywhere. The micro-pores within the self-sterilizing and re-cleanable Black Berkey water purification elements are so small that pathogenic bacteria are simply not able to pass through them.
The media within the elements remove contaminants by a surface phenomenon known as “adsorption” which results from the molecular attraction of substances to the surface of the media. The exclusive purification elements are also impregnated with proprietary “absorbing” media that promote IONIC “absorption” of pollutants within the micro-porous elements.

Another reason Berkey water filter systems are so effective in removing contaminants from water is the extremely long “contact period”. Other filtration systems rely on water pressure that forces water molecules through the filter elements at 60-90 PSI. These water molecules come into contact with the filter media for a mere fraction of a second. By comparison water molecules, passing through the “Torturous Path” structure of the Black Berkey water purification elements, are drawn gently by gravity and stay in contact with the media for a long period of time. This allows the filter media to be more efficient in capturing contaminates. For example, if you were to hurl 100 steel ball bearings at a large magnet, some would stick but most would bounce off. However, if you were to walk over and gently place the ball bearings on the magnet most, if not all, would adhere to the magnet. Berkey water filter systems fully utilize this principle.

For Europe: _http://www.berkeywaterfilterseurope.com
America: _http://www.berkeywaterfiltersystems.com

The only problem I see at the moment, the filter does not filter out fluoride, at least for american folks it could be problematic.

Does anybody else collect some experiences with this filter system, if it is really that good as described?

[quote author=Gawan ]

The only problem I see at the moment, the filter does not filter out fluoride, at least for american folks it could be problematic.

Does anybody else collect some experiences with this filter system, if it is really that good as described?
[/quote]

Hi Gawan,

No experience with this but thank you for the link - as for your question, notice this on their page:

Berkey Fluoride filter for Black Berkey

_http://www.berkeywaterfiltersystems.com/store/pc/Berkey-Fluoride-filter-for-Black-Berkey-p3.htm

I have a large sized Berkey. There are white fluoride filters you can get from their website that hook onto the bottom of the black elements. It only does 95% or so of flouride filtering and reduces the flow rate about 20%, but still worth it I think.

I was thinking these things would be really fast. But even though they say many gallons an hour, that's only if it's totally full and thus more pressure to push it through.

And another problem I had was that the water tastes funny. I don't know how to describe it, but I haven't used mine and still use an electric distiller. I know the Berkey works because it will filter red food coloring completely, but I couldn't get over the unfamiliar taste.

3D Student said:
I have a large sized Berkey. There are white fluoride filters you can get from their website that hook onto the bottom of the black elements. It only does 95% or so of flouride filtering and reduces the flow rate about 20%, but still worth it I think.

I was thinking these things would be really fast. But even though they say many gallons an hour, that's only if it's totally full and thus more pressure to push it through.

And another problem I had was that the water tastes funny. I don't know how to describe it, but I haven't used mine and still use an electric distiller. I know the Berkey works because it will filter red food coloring completely, but I couldn't get over the unfamiliar taste.

Just a note about the fluoride filters. They use aluminum in the filter. It takes many uses to get the dust out, and they "claim" that after a few uses, the aluminum count is less in the filtered water than the water that was put in to the system.

fwiw

Ahh, now I remember the aluminum that is in them. I read about that with concern at first. But they say that it's a different form of aluminum. It reminded me of the alum stick deodorants which also contain an "inert" form of aluminum.

I have been thinking about Berkey water filters since having read about them in Primal Body Primal Mind. From what Gedgaudas says this system of filtration supposedly retains the beneficial minerals, something that an RO doesn't.

From their website:

_http://www.directive21.com/ said:
In fact, this purifier is so powerful, it can remove food coloring from water without removing the beneficial minerals that your body needs, which, to our knowledge, no other domestic filtration system can duplicate.

I'm not sure about water wastage with Berkey, but I do know that there is quite a bit of wastage with RO.
If any other members have a Berkey, I would love to hear your reviews.

Another possibility is to go to an artesian well nearby as mentioned earlier in this thread (http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,12588.msg259227.html#msg259227). We would have to rent a car for that though, so am not yet sure whether that is viable on the long run.

Hi Gertrudes, I have a Berkey but haven't used it for a while. There is very little wastage. It's only about an inch of water that stays in the top filtering chamber and I think it's only there because the filters are about an inch from the bottom. So this is water that couldn't be filtered because it wasn't in contact with the filter to go through.

I haven't used mine because I do not like the taste of the water. If anyone has had a similar issue or a fix it would be appreciated.

3D Student said:
Hi Gertrudes, I have a Berkey but haven't used it for a while. There is very little wastage. It's only about an inch of water that stays in the top filtering chamber and I think it's only there because the filters are about an inch from the bottom. So this is water that couldn't be filtered because it wasn't in contact with the filter to go through.

I haven't used mine because I do not like the taste of the water. If anyone has had a similar issue or a fix it would be appreciated.

Thanks 3D Student, I was hoping you would chime in since you posted previously about your Berkey :)

I also have a Berkey water filter and I really like it. Although I do remember when I first set it up it did have a weird taste to it. After I filtered water through it about 3 times then the taste went away. I have yet to get the flouride filter for the bottom, but it is definitely on my wish list!

Flux2012 said:
http://www.findaspring.com/

This may be helpful in locating natural springs nearby. Works wonders for me and it allows the addition of information about the springs after you test the water.

That's a really awesome resource! Thanks so much for posting it!

Gawan said:
Actually distilled water should have no taste at all, only a different feeling in the mouth.
At the beginning I had the same problem as you, that there was something tasty in the water. I tried different things glass bottles, cleaned the machine, let it run for many times only steaming (without the rotor) and nothing worked (a filter I couldn't find for that machine).
I did send this distiller back to the seller then and bought another brand and since then there is no extra taste anymore in the water.

The second machine has no plastic parts in it, where the water is going through and this is my explanation for it.

Have you bought a new distiller maybe, where it could take some runs after the taste is vanishing, for another explanation?

I also have had the problem of the distilled water tasting funky. I recently acquired this distiller:

http://www.purepro.net/mh943.htm

I let the distiller run a few rounds but the taste remained. I was perplexed as the boiler part is stainless steel, as well as the condenser (which can be either plastic or aluminum in some models). I also used a stainless steel pan for collecting the water.

Finally I realized that the flavour comes from the inner part of the top lid of the distiller: it is made from a "porous" sort of plastic.
Upon sniffing, the lid actually smelled the same as the distilled water tasted. I let the lid "outgas" for a while, and ran the distiller again a few times with no help: the taste still remained. I guess the hot steam dissolves material from the plastic, every time the machine is used. Unfortunate that they did not use a "harder" plastic on the inside of the lid.

I'll send the distiller back to the manufacturer.

Gawan, may I ask which brand did you purchase, with which there was no extra taste?

I'm thinking perhaps the Berkey water filter would be another good option, especially if there will be power outages in the future.

hiker said:
I'm thinking perhaps the Berkey water filter would be another good option, especially if there will be power outages in the future.
Well, I've just replaced my reverse osmosis system with Berkey, and I'm delighted with it. :)

I have owned a "Royal" sized Berkey filter for a little over a year. I have the two black filters and the additional flouride filters. The taste of the water has been pretty clean, definitely superior to cheaper faucet fed filters which I used in the past. There have been some weak points with the Berkey though.

For example, the black filters must be primed before initial use to purge all trapped air and allow for proper flow of water. This procedure also must be repeated if the Berkey sits unused long enough for the filters to become too dried out as I have found. To purge the black filters is not too big of a deal, but you generally have to disassemble the filters to do it. After purging the filters a couple of months ago, I went to reinstall the black filters and one of the retaining nuts slipped before getting tight! The connecting threads on the black filters, as well as the nuts are both made of "food grade" plastic. I inspected the threads of the filter and they did not appear stripped, so I ordered a hardware kit from Berkey, assuming that the nut had stripped out. When I installed the new nut on my filter it spun again before getting tight! It turns out that the black filters plastic threads were stripped enough to not allow me to get the filter snug.

The black filters are quite pricey so I definitely do not intend to purchase another set of filters anytime soon. I just have made do with the one stripped filter, tightening it as much as possible to keep it sealed. I have tested the system since with food coloring and the system does not leak. Unfortunately anytime I have to purge the filters again, I have to stress the already stripped filter more.

As a side note, one of the benefits listed about the Berkeys is their ability to work without electrical power anywhere. It's important to remember though that without adequate water pressure a person would be unable to purge the filters if they were dried out. If the black filters are not purged fully they will not be able to flow water well or at all.

So all in all, the Berkey filter is good for what it is, but eventually I would prefer a distilling machine. ;)

We have had a Berkey for a few months now. Yes there is a metalic taste when you first set it up. I thought it was from the aluminum and it kinda freaked me out,but after doing some searches it seems like this is ok for health, and the taste went away. Yes, the only draw back is the plastic screws. Dont clamp them to tight when first installing. I really recomend this product. All the canned meat in the world will not do you any good without clean water.
They have all sizes, and most are easy to travel with. They even have mugs for travel. I havnt gotten those yet but will be soon. Has anyone tried the shower filter for floride yet?

Has anyone tried the shower filter for floride yet?

Yes, I also ordered their shower filter and it seems to work well(I have city municipal water). I can't tell a huge difference in water quality and smell, but Berkey states:

The berkey shower filter contains KDF 55 granules, which are most effective in removing or reducing chlorine, hydrogen sulfide, microorganisms, scale and water-soluble heavy metals such as lead, mercury, and iron. KDF process media also kill bacteria and inhibit the growth of bacteria, algae, and fungi. As an added benefit, KDF media reduce lime scale, mold, and fungi in your shower. KDF process media are completely safe so the process is not toxic and does not cause any adverse side effects. Effective for both hot and cold water.

Back
Top Bottom