What's the weather where you are?

New UPDATE on the damage caused by the storms in February mentioned in posts #3,783, #3,785, #3,789 and #3,796.
Source (Dutch only): 600 bomen omgewaaid in Amsterdam door februaristormen, stad doet onderzoek

About those trees being blown down...

I had some birch trees growing in my yard, and due to the heatwave we had several years back, I watered and fertilized them so that they wouldn't die.
They grew fast, and I only cared for them in the drought conditions, but sometimes I'd put ashes from the woodstove on them once in a while...

So, last fall in Sept., we had a freak snow storm and the snow weighed the trees down as they still had all their leaves. A couple trees snapped, the others just remained bent over, and never arighted.

My theory is they grew too fast, and though well cared for, were weaker due to how fast they grew.
It sounds like the trees effected were in similar conditions as mine. Warm or hot weather, but pampered as it is landscape trees and watered often... A little weather adversity and they succumbed to it from not being strong enough from growing too fast.

Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing. :cool2:

You have to remember though that the Amsterdam area has thousands of trees, most of them decades old or even older. The young ones have not suffered very much as they are still flexible enough to bend in all directions; it's the older ones that have suffered most, some of old age, others for the various reasons already mentioned in the report, and others still because of hidden diseases or other weaknesses not immediately apparent at sight.

The research mentioned is meant to establish which cause applied to which tree and then take action accordingly, mainly for the ones still standing around them. The ones we lost will be replaced with new or at least newer ones and those will be planted in compliance with the findings then available.

Stockholm, Sweden
30 March 2022

It has gotten cold now - and the difference can be clearly felt compared to the sunny, warm springtime weather from the past weeks, with close to record many sunshine hours (march 2022) in Southern and middle Sweden.

This morning, the temperatures went down to -5°C / 23°F in Stockholm City core, and -12°C / 10.4°F in Stockholm-Tullinge, in the outer southwest suburbs. During daytime we only have around 0°C / 32°F. We even got very light dusting of snow (and some soft hail) - and I can tell when looking outside, that the sky is filled with fuzzy (very small scale) snow showers.

At our latitude this time of the year, in cold weather, shower clouds (Cb) look unimpressively flat. They are simply not as mighty looking like the typical Cb clouds one can see over central and southern Europe.

Does it feel like winter ?

No, not really. It's bright at times, with the sun shining brightly in between. You can hear birds, and there is a sensation of that spring is not that far away, really - despite the air feels bitingly cold, while you wear winter clothes again. There is just something about that light, that makes you smile...

(I often use the word "you" in a more general sense like "You/I/people"; those who recognize a feeling or impression, which can be felt by many, and by those who like to)

2022-03-29-MAX-small.gif 2022-03-30-MIN-small.gif

In Alaska, it is sunny and spring-like. It is about 45-50°F. I saw a fly yesterday, so that's a good sign. It is very bright due to the snow cover, combined with the sun, and the sun is high enough not to shine directly on me in the house.
There was a avalanche in Eagle River, cutting off access to a hundred or so residents. We had more snow than usual this winter, so it doesn't surprise.

Country-wide drought was declared in Hungary last week as a result of very minimal precipitation this year. All winter we only had half and inch of snow on three occasions and it melted soon as it fell.
During several fasted-sprinting exercises now I mainly saw dead grass, stunted plant growth and little, sharp, dry grass pieces blown around by the wind.

Rain forecast for this week was 1mm for Tuesday, 3mm for Wednesday and 2mm Thursday.
That's like offering a tiny glass of water to a drought-victim..

Well, since the weather turned toward rain-friendly anyway with skies becoming overcast yesterday, but no rain.. and - as usual - would have delivered very little rain to our area, which was correctly forecast as 1-3mm by the service. Typical continuation of drought for our frequently rainless area..

So because its country-wide drought anyway, and since I can boost the weather, Tuesday and yesterday I decided to boost the rains "a little" in our local area.

Four times, after breathing in the 'available ionic charge in the atmosphere over our region', with my lungs full holding the charge and during the breathing out phase - I pictured a strong, lashing down rain with big drops completely drenching my clothes and heavily splashing on the yard, on the roof. I built and held an image of a close to torrential rain in my mind, while holding the energy charge and breathing it out ==> 'creation / modification phase'.

Now its Thursday and it has been raining exactly like that, steadily all day. The rainwater barrel is also full and overflowing with water. Surplus rain is splashing from the roof.
The forecast service had to modify their chart for our little agricultural city to this one: as you can see its a big change!
making_rain_from_1-3mm_to_16-20mm.jpg

DFE1B00A-7AD2-4598-8AB7-5B104B2EC78E.jpeg

Ooops, winter
again
Stockholm, 31 March 2022

I took a nap in the early evening, lasting one hour - and when I woke up: everything looked like winter again :scared:

In the mean time, water in the streets got frozen; making it slippery and unsteady as if walking on eggs.

In my area of W. Pennsylvania, temperatures are bouncing wildly up and down. This week, we went from 18 degrees F to 67 degrees F. 40 degree plus temp drops in a day have become the norm this winter.

Although, the tiny slice of area here has been spared of most major snowstorms; while directly above and below have gotten pummeled

In Belarus, this winter, according to my feelings, was surprisingly mild with a moderate amount of snow without emergencies. Only once there was a hurricane wind, which in places broke old trees, demolished transport stops and billboards. In general, nothing extreme, especially when compared with other countries of the world.

The average air temperature of the winter season of 2021/2022 was -1.8 ° C, which is 1.6 ° C above the climatic norm. The past winter season ranked 11th in the ranked series of observations from the warmest to the coldest season, since 1881.
The temperature regime of the winter season was heterogeneous: the average temperature in December was 1.0 °C below normal. January and February were warm with a positive anomaly of 2.0 and 3.8 °C, respectively.
During the winter, precipitation fell unevenly on the territory of Belarus – a slight shortage of precipitation was observed in December (95% of the norm), excessive moisture – in January (169% of the norm). In February, the amount of precipitation for the month was close to normal (104% of the norm).
The snow cover was unstable.

At the same time, March was cool and dry, there was even a mini dust storm in Gomel.
гомель.jpg
But this April started with a strong cold snap. Usually, I was already sowing carrots in the garden around April 6, that is, the ground was already quite moist and warmed up. Now we have -3 +2 degrees Celsius, strong winds, everything is covered with snow.
1648903975297.jpg
Spring is delayed. Hopefully not for long.

France, Côte d'Azur entre Nice et Cannes, Cagnes sur Mer, très beau temps ensoleillé mais très frais quoique nous aillons les températures les plus douces de France aujourd'hui encore 16° cet après midi... La terre manque d'eau chez nous depuis un moment...

France, French Riviera between Nice and Cannes, Cagnes sur Mer, very nice sunny weather but very cool even if we have the warmest temperatures in France today, still 16° this afternoon... The earth has been lacking water for a while...

Last night there were very strong thunders in Belgrade. I don't remember when was the last time that I heard such strong thunders. Certainly not in April. These sounded like the thunders that you would normally hear in summer. Perhaps even stronger than that.

Last year there were a lot of strong thunders in my village, a lot more than usual. One of them killed my internet modem, even though it was completely plugged of from electricity and a phone line! Weird times.

In NZ we have had another warm spell extending our summer. Today in central North Island a high of 24 C is forecast—somewhat unseasonal for autumn.

It’s been beautiful, the sea is still warm, and we have all been able to enjoy it as there was a good dumping of rain a couple of weeks ago, however some places flooded.

Another record in the Netherlands, an unofficial cold record this time. It was -6.3° Celsius in Deelen, Gelderland. The previous record for April 3 was -5.5 degrees set in Winterswijk on April 3, 1909, according to WeerOnline (in Dutch). Also, some people managed to create a skating rink with natural ice which made it possible (for a few hours at least) to skate outdoors on natural ice in April. That hasn't occurred since the 17th century.

More details here:
Record set for coldest ever April 3 at -6.3° Celsius
Video: Skaters hit the natural ice on record cold day; First April skating since 17th century
Saturday night was the coldest April 3 on record, and the skates are out - DutchNews.nl

Coverage in Dutch:
Niet eerder zo'n koude nacht op 3 april in ons land
Recordkou van -6 graden: in Winterswijk wordt zelfs geschaatst
Koudste 3-aprilnacht sinds 1909
Koudste 3 april ooit: schaatsen op natuurijs in Winterswijk
In april schaatsen op natuurijs, het kan vandaag in Winterswijk

Back
Top Bottom