A sign that things are about to change drastically?

This site gives current list/news of volcanoes and earthquakes along with an interactive google map.
Red triangles represent active-erupting volcanoes.

What's erupting? List & map of currently active volcanoes
http://www.volcano-news.com/erupting_volcanoes.html

The site looks like a database for volcanoes:
http://volcanic-eruptions.findthedata.org/

The site looks like a database for volcanoes:
http://volcanic-eruptions.findthedata.org/

But it contains a very small number of eruptions, just over 600.

The Smithsonian Institution's dataset seems biggest right now but still not a full list of volcanic events.

There is a Russian database here:

Institute of Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Geophysics SB RAS.
Tsunami Laboratory, Novosibirsk, Russia.

_http://tsun.sscc.ru/nh/volcano.php

The "View" links for each volcano don't work for me though, and I don't think you can order the results to show a chronological list. The website says it is "a pilot version of a new user's interface for the Volcanoes Database".

You select "Type of Volcanic Activity: A" to get results for active volcanoes erupted in historical time (from 1500 B.C to the present time).

Laura said:
Why have 10 major volcanoes along the Ring of Fire suddenly roared to life?

The article says:

Ten major volcanoes have erupted along the Ring of Fire during the past few months, and the mainstream media in the United States has been strangely silent about this. But this is a very big deal. We are seeing eruptions at some volcanoes that have been dormant for decades. Yes, it is certainly not unusual for two or three major volcanoes along the Ring of Fire to be active at the same time, but what we are witnessing right now is highly unusual. And if the U.S. media is not concerned about this yet, the truth is that they should be.

And then:
Seven volcanoes in six different countries all start erupting within hours of each other

So, we have eruptions big enough to prompt evacuations. Flights are canceled, and a new island pops up off the coast of Japan. I would have called that newsworthy myself but obviously I'm wrong. If I was right it would have been common knowledge right? Reports may have been on the news right?

So many volcanoes throwing so much gas, ash and particulates into the air can have an effect on climate, this is a scientific fact. I'm not saying that these volcanoes herald the start of a new ice age but the planet certainly seems to be getting a bit more active of late.

Continued large eruptions put a huge amount of particulate matter into the atmosphere, and these particles reflect sunlight away from earth and when there is enough of them the temperatures can drop.

The Mount Pinatubo eruption lowered temperatures by around 0.5°C across the Northern Hemisphere.

Considering that we are in a cooling period anyway, having so many volcanoes going off at the same time is not good. Aside from the devastating effects the lava and ash can have on the lives of those living near to them, the global impacts can be enormous.

Lost crops due to ash fall and lower temperatures can lead to hunger and famine, as happened after the Tambora eruption in 1815.

I would say that this is definitely a SIGN that needs to be carefully considered by all who are thinking that they have time to get their ducks in a row and do something.

Not to mention the warmer sub-surface water temperatures that fueled typhoon Haiyan.
Warmer? why?
It ain't climate change or global warming as some journalists would have you believe. These subsurface water temps, according to Dr. Jeff Master's:
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/super-typhoon-haiyans-intensification-and-unusually-warm-subsurface-

A remarkable warming of the sub-surface Pacific waters east of the Philippines in recent decades, due to a shift in atmospheric circulation patterns and ocean currents that began in the early 1990s, could be responsible for the rapid intensification of Super Typhoon Haiyan. Hurricanes are heat engines, which means they take heat energy out of the ocean, and convert it to kinetic energy in the form of wind. It's well-known that tropical cyclones need surface water temperatures of at least 26.5°C (80°F) to maintain themselves, and that the warmer the water, and the deeper the warm water is, the stronger the storm can get. Deep warm water is important, since as a tropical cyclone tracks over the ocean, it stirs up cooler water from the depths, potentially reducing the intensity of the storm. When both Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita exploded into Category 5 hurricanes as they crossed over a warm eddy in the Gulf of Mexico with a lot of deep, warm water, the concept of the total heat energy available to fuel a hurricane--the Tropical Cyclone Heat Potential (TCHP)--became one that gained wide recognition. The Pacific Ocean east of the Philippines has the largest area of deep, warm water of anywhere on Earth, and these waters have historically fueled the highest incidence of Category 5 storms of anywhere on the planet. Super Typhoon Haiyan tracked over surface waters that were of near-average warmth, 29.5 - 30.5°C (85 - 87°F.) However, the waters at a depth of 100 meters (328 feet) beneath Haiyan during its rapid intensification phase were a huge 3°C above average, according to Professor I-I Lin of the Department of Atmospheric Science at the National Taiwan University. An analysis by the Japan Meteorological Agency for October showed ocean temperatures 4 - 5°C (7 - 9°F) above average during October (Figure 1). This analysis was from a model. When looking at actual measurements made by the Argo float data in early November, the temperatures in the layer 100 meters below the surface under Haiyan were about 3°C above average, not 4 - 5°C, according to Dr. Lin. As the typhoon stirred this unusually warm water to the surface, the storm was likely able to feed off the heat, allowing Haiyan to intensify into one of the strongest tropical cyclones ever observed.

note that the extreme departure temp of 4-5 degrees was dismissed for the average; looking at the map of temp variations, there are "hot spots" where the departure from normal is as high as +5 degrees. Any undersea volcanoes here?
haiyan-track-100m-sst.png

Figure 1. Modeled departure of temperature from average at a depth of 100 meters in the West Pacific Ocean during October 2013, compared to a 1986 - 2008 average. The track and intensity of Super Typhoon Haiyan are overlaid. Haiyan passed directly over large areas of sub-surface water that were much above average in temperature, which likely contributed to the storm's explosive deepening. While this model showed 4 - 5°C departures from average in October, the actual values were closer to 3°C in early November, according to Argo float data. Image credit: Japan Meteorological Agency.

He goes on to explain why...
Why was there such unusually warm sub-surface water?
The sub-surface waters east of the Philippines have warmed dramatically over the past twenty years. According to Pun et al. (2013), "Recent increase in high tropical cyclone heat potential area in the Western North Pacific Ocean", the depth to where ocean temperatures of at least 26°C (79°F) penetrates has increased by 17% since the early 1990s, and the Tropical Cyclone Heat Potential has increased by 13%. The warm-up is due to an increase in the surface winds blowing across the region--the trade winds--which have caused a southward migration and strengthening of the North Equatorial Current (NEC) and the North Equatorial Counter Current (NECC).
(but what about all the undersea volcanoes?)

Meanwhile, in the Pacific the EAC (East Australian Current) has migrated some 357 km south toward the pole. (funny how they actually try to blame this on climate change/global warming.)
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/climate-change-moves-nemo-current-to-south/story-fnii5s41-1226739924122

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's second and yet to be released report into the impact of climate change has claimed average climate zones in Australia have already shifted 200km southward along the north east coast. Australia and warming the Tasman Sea in northern New Zealand," it claimed.

"The rate of warming is even faster in south eastern Australia with a poleward advance of the East Australia current of 350km over the past 60 years."

When i first heard about the warmer ocean water contributing to the strength of Typhoon Haiyan i couldn't help thinking of whether the equatorial undersea volcanoes in this area of the Pacific Rim of Fire could contribute enough heat to warm the waters that significantly.
Consider these stories:
http://www.sott.net/article/179681-Underwater-volcano-creates-new-island-off-Tonga
http://www.sott.net/article/269010-New-island-created-off-Japan-following-dramatic-Pacific-Ocean-volcanic-eruption

and this has been noticed since at least 2009
http://www.sott.net/article/179577-Video-Undersea-volcano-erupts-near-Tonga-in-Pacific-ocean

Then consider all the sea life die offs, especially the deep sea creatures washing up on shore.
http://www.sott.net/article/204570-Appearance-of-Earthquake-fish-spook-Japanese
with this ominous "superstition":
Rare, deep-sea oarfish have been washing ashore, and they've got ecologists and superstitious fishermen worried:

Oar fish live in the depths of the ocean, surfacing infrequently when they are sick or damaged. In Japan it is believed the appearance of oar fish means an earthquake is imminent. Since November, over 19 of the rare fish have washed up on the shores of Japan. The animal is thought to be the origin of ancient mariner myths of sea serpents.
since NOVEMBER....

Earthquakes and undersea volcanoes go together, and I'm thinking the latter is the cause of these deep sea creatures' demise, as well as many of the other strange mass die offs. These volcanoes have been active for a few years already; maybe as more and more heat, gas and lava are oozing into the ocean floor it not only creates warmer water temps, but wonder if newly formed islands and warmer subsurface water temperatures could also alter the major north/south currents(?).

640px-Corrientes-oceanicas.gif

Are there any scientists studying the effects of deep ocean water volcanoes on water temperature, currents, and sea life as a comprehensive investigation? rather than those trying to painfully squeeze fit the data into their human-caused global warming/climate change theories.

For me, SIGN(s) noted.

just couldn't leave this yet.

kept surfing this topic and came across a very interesting article which reminded me of an answer from the C's which always struck me as a bit odd.
Laura said:
February 22, 1997

[snip]
Q: (T) Local and regional authorities can use the towers to track people, amongst other things. (L) Is the weather being controlled or changed or in any way affected by HAARP?

A: Climate is being influenced by three factors, and soon a fourth.

Q: (L) All right, I'll take the bait; give me the three factors, and also the fourth!.

A: 1) Wave approach. 2) Chlorofluorocarbon increase in atmosphere, thus affecting ozone layer. 3) Change in the planet's axis rotation orientation. 4) Artificial tampering by 3rd and 4th density STS forces in a number of different ways. Be vigilant. Be observant. Be cautious in your planning and be aware. Do not let emotional anomalies cloud your knowledge base. This is not a "time" to let one's guard down. Be especially careful of travel to unfamiliar locators, as well as sleeping in unfamiliar surroundings!!! You are being watched. Or, at least, it is best to assume you are, and act, think, and prepare accordingly. Remember what you have been warned about concerning attack. As you learn more and know more, you become more interesting... and, when your ranks swell, you are more vulnerable unless you are more aware!!

Q: (L) All right, were those given in the order in which they are occurring? The fourth being the one that's coming later?

A: Maybe, but remember this: a change in the speed of the rotation may not be reported while it is imperceptible except by instrumentation. Equator is slightly "wider" than the polar zones. But, this discrepancy is decreasing slowly currently. One change to occur in 21st Century is sudden glacial rebound, over Eurasia first, then North America. Ice ages develop much, much, much faster than thought. [Discussion of new scientific theory recently presented that the earth is expanding.]

Q: (T) Is the Earth expanding? That's just putting it bluntly, but, is the Earth expanding, how did you put that? (A) Yes, that's the theory: the idea is that the continents move away because the Earth is expanding, and this is much faster than you know, than geologists were thinking.

A: Continental "drift" is caused by the continual though variable, propelling of gases from the interior to the surface, mainly at points of magnetic significance.

Q: (J) What causes the change in the axis?

A: By slow down of rotation. Earth alternately heats up and cools down in interior.

Q: (L) Why does it do that? What's the cause of this?

A: Part of cycle related to energy exerted upon surface by the frequency resonance vibrational profile of humans and others.

When the C's indicated that chlorofluorocarbons were a major cause of global warming, I had to pause. I had always understood that CFCs were exclusively man-made pollution. It struck me as odd since CFC regulations are supposed to have caused a decline in emissions; why would the C's indicate that as one of four factors of climate change? Were we polluting ourselves to point of climate change, via CFCs? That idea never really settled for me.

Then came across this article:
From Siberia With Caribou Meat, Social Passion, And Serious Scientific Breakthroughs
Adventures in geodynamics, courtesy of Lindy Elkins-Tanton, the director of the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism.
By Nidhi Subbaraman

[*snip*- charming personal history]

Elkins-Tanton recently won a Lowell Thomas award from the Explorer's Club for her research work on the volcanic formations in Siberia. "We got funded 5 years ago by the NSF to investigate what I think of as one of the biggest mysteries in earth science," she says--250 million years ago, in the largest extinction in Earth's history, about 70% of all land life and more than 90% percent of ocean life died.

"We kind of came close to wiping out multicellular life for a while. And the amazing thing about this extinction is that nobody can figure out what caused it," Elkins-Tanton says. The extinction event took place around the same time that the Siberian continent burped up an estimated 6 million cubic kilometers of magma, coating a large part of central Russia in lava. While it's been tempting for researchers to link the extinction event with the lava flood, a strong relationship as to how it happened has yet to be developed.

A recent finding from the Elkins-Tanton team was the discovery of unexpected traces of fluorine and chlorine mixed in with the sulphur and carbon in the rocks. When this set of elements is heated, as they would be in a lava pool, they form naturally occurring chlorofluorocarbons. "So this was a way in which the earth with no human intervention of any kind could destroy its own ozone layer and cause huge global warming." Part of the project in the Siberian Traps is to determine if such chemicals in the atmosphere could have resulted in destructive climate change.

[*snip* - more personal background of Elkins-Tanton]
article link: http://www.fastcompany.com/3001419/siberia-caribou-meat-social-passion-and-serious-scientific-breakthroughs
siberian end-permian extinction research site; http://siberia.mit.edu/

Looks like the C's were hinting at increased/increasing volcanic activity, ahem,.... 16 years ago!
(gulp!)

Laura:
I would say that this is definitely a SIGN that needs to be carefully considered by all who are thinking that they have time to get their ducks in a row and do something.

SIGN(s) dually noted

just a reminder of "something" you can do (a 'clip' from above transcript):
Be vigilant. Be observant. Be cautious in your planning and be aware. Do not let emotional anomalies cloud your knowledge base. This is not a "time" to let one's guard down. Be especially careful of travel to unfamiliar locators, as well as sleeping in unfamiliar surroundings!!! You are being watched. Or, at least, it is best to assume you are, and act, think, and prepare accordingly. Remember what you have been warned about concerning attack. As you learn more and know more, you become more interesting... and, when your ranks swell, you are more vulnerable unless you are more aware!!

This year is full of interesting events, I thumb up this idea:

SeekinTruth said:
It IS an interesting connection to volcanic activity to think about electric or electromagnetic interactions / activity in our "cosmic neighborhood."
I remember those recent post from SOTT about little comets falling.

There have been sink holes, typhons all around the world, one really affected Mexico and part of USA and the last one affected singapore, now there are volcanoes erupting. Gotta know what's gonna happen next year, or maybe on december, who knows.

I've found this article recently.

http://thedancingrest.wordpress.com/2013/11/19/viking-apocalypse-on-22-february-2014/

Legend has it that on this day, the god Odin will be killed by the wolf Fenrir
The soil and the sky will be stained with poison and the sea will rear up
Prior to the apocalypse, three freezing winters would follow each other
The sound of the horn is supposed to call the sons of Odin to the battlefield, where Odin will ultimately be killed

I'm guessing Odin refers to a comet, and his sons are fragments?
Sea will rear up. Volcanoes probably, or tidal waves caused by comets?

Ragnarok, which translates to ‘Doom of the Gods’, is due to be preceded by the winter of winters.
Vikings believed, prior to the apocalypse, three freezing winters would follow each other with no summers in between.
All morality would disappear and fights would break out all over the world, signalling the beginning of the end.
The wolf Skoll would devour the sun, and his brother Hati would eat the moon, causing stars to vanish from the sky and the Earth to be thrown into eternal darkness.
Norse mythology experts have calculated that Vikings believed this will take place on February 22, 2014.
On this day, the god Odin will be killed by the wolf Fenrir and the other ‘creator’ gods.
There will be huge earthquakes, the sea will rear up and the soil and the sky will be stained with poison.
The sound of the horn is supposed to call the sons of Odin to the battlefield, where Odin will ultimately be killed.
After his death, the Earth was foretold to sink into the sea, paving the way for a new utopian world with endless supplies.
Danielle Daglan from the Norvik Viking Centre told MailOnline that a number of recent events spoken about in the legends of Ragnarok led them to believe that the end of the world may well be imminent.
The legend states that ‘the first to notice shall be man, brother will fight brother and all the boundaries that exist shall crumble.’
‘The idea that “boundaries that exist shall crumble” could be said to be about the Internet age, where you can communicate with millions of people simultaneously around the world thanks to the global rise of social media,’ said Ms Daglan.
Viking tradition also believes that a vast winter will appear before the apocalypse.
Another part of the legend claims that the Midgard Serpent, named Jormungand, shall free itself from its tail and rise up from the ocean.

Don't know about the date, but there are a few hints here that are interesting.

The recent post from Navigator here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,33168.msg457036.html#msg457036

which shows two graphs of volcanic and seismic activities, and the next one from lostinself here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,33168.msg457573.html#msg457573

which shows another graph also about volcanic activities seemingly contradict each other. In the first link the author Michael Mandeville claims that his Data is also from the Smithsonian Institute catalog. So two sets of data from one source showing two different graphs?

The answer might be that Michael Mandeville displays the "combined days of eruptive episodes" while the Smithsonian database displayed by lostinself only count the numbers of active volcano's and don't show how long the activities lasted. I don't know where Mandeville got this data from but at the Smithsonian database there is no such data, or at least they show only the date when it started, not when the volcano went silent again.

Laura said:
Mark said:
Laura said:
Anthony said:
Anyone have any idea what this is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxzTX0SD6pw&feature=youtu.be

Rare giant spinning ice disc. They happen.

Subsurface sinkhole creating counter-clockwise spinning vortex - just a guess.

I've seen debris in slow moving swamp water doing the same thing.

Found this page explaining ice circles - eddy currents on a grand scale it seems:

theverge.com said:
A vast circle of ice has been found slowly rotating in North Dakota's Sheyenne river. Perfectly circular ice disks form on outer bends of rivers, where faster-running currents break chunks of surface ice away during cold weather. The rotational shear of the river's current pulls chunks of ice together and spins the resultant mass around, grinding its edges into a neat circle.

Retired engineer George Loegering captured the phenomenon on camera. Some 50-feet in diameter, the Sheyenne disk is larger than those discovered in recent years, including a ten-foot example in the UK. Allen Schlag, National Weather Service hydrologist in Bismarck, North Dakota, told io9 that the larger the river, the bigger the ice circle likely to form on it. Of the new ice disk, Schlag said "that might be one of the better examples I've seen."

_http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/28/5154240/north-dakota-river-ice-circle-is-50-foot-wide

Skyfarmr said:
When the C's indicated that chlorofluorocarbons were a major cause of global warming, I had to pause. I had always understood that CFCs were exclusively man-made pollution. It struck me as odd since CFC regulations are supposed to have caused a decline in emissions; why would the C's indicate that as one of four factors of climate change? Were we polluting ourselves to point of climate change, via CFCs? That idea never really settled for me.

Chlorofluorocarbons destroy ozone, but the PTB point the finger at more benign carbon compounds, is it because it is easier to place blame on average people and create a tax scam?

Skyfarmr said:
When the C's indicated that chlorofluorocarbons were a major cause of global warming, I had to pause.

Well, they did not say that CFCs were a ''major cause of global warming'' per se but rather a factor influencing climate.

Were we polluting ourselves to point of climate change, via CFCs? That idea never really settled for me.

Climate change can simply not be explained by anthropogenic causes. We do pollute and destroy our environment but that still cannot explain all the crazy weather patterns, intense cosmic activity, radical decrease in solar activity, freaky geological uproar etc. In simple terms, it seems to be the result of a greater cosmic change which is somewhat cyclical in nature. Of course, this could be, metaphysically speaking, a reflection of the human experience cycle but that's another story.

FWIW, here's a quote from the C's:

1 April 2007 said:
(Galahad) What percentage of what we’re seeing today as global warming is coming from man made compared to cosmic?

A: 4 percent.

I don't know how relevant that figure is considering the big picture but I think it speaks for itself anyway.

A recent finding from the Elkins-Tanton team was the discovery of unexpected traces of fluorine and chlorine mixed in with the sulphur and carbon in the rocks. When this set of elements is heated, as they would be in a lava pool, they form naturally occurring chlorofluorocarbons.

That certainly is a very interesting find. Especially since the C's haven't specified the source of these CFCs. That could be part of the cycle as well. And when you think about the ever-increasing volcanic activity, it certainly makes you think.

Peace.

no-man's-land said:
The recent post from Navigator here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,33168.msg457036.html#msg457036

which shows two graphs of volcanic and seismic activities, and the next one from lostinself here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,33168.msg457573.html#msg457573

which shows another graph also about volcanic activities seemingly contradict each other. In the first link the author Michael Mandeville claims that his Data is also from the Smithsonian Institute catalog. So two sets of data from one source showing two different graphs?

The answer might be that Michael Mandeville displays the "combined days of eruptive episodes" while the Smithsonian database displayed by lostinself only count the numbers of active volcano's and don't show how long the activities lasted. I don't know where Mandeville got this data from but at the Smithsonian database there is no such data, or at least they show only the date when it started, not when the volcano went silent again.

You're probably right on why these graphs don't agree. Wish i had paid more attention to the former plot. I didn't take durations into account at all, and, as you point out, there's no relevant data available at the SI site at the moment. Durations would make a critical difference here, for even a relatively calm event, like a release of ashes, can last continuously for weeks (still representing a volcanic activity). In terms of total volcanic activity on the Planet, i guess Mandeville's plots are more accurate.

I now see eruption stop dates are shown at the SI website, though not in the main eruptions table. One have to go to the subpage of a given volcano and there select the "Eruption history" tab.

eg. _http://www.volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=261080

I'll try to extract eruptions data from there and see what comes up.

In addition to environmental events, or even perhaps in response to them, we have to consider the human reaction factor. I think everybody ought to read the following article:
http://www.sott.net/article/269371-What-will-the-coming-civil-unrest-look-like

I think that the 100% certain event will be the economic collapse. Even those of you who have fairly secure jobs may find yourselves in a pickle in that event.

A few months back I went to hear a talk by Nicole Foss, who is touring the world talking about the inevitability of an economic collapse. She also talks about the possibility of an energy shortage with fossil fuels running out, but regardless of whether that happens, an economic collapse is inevitable because of the Ponzi scheme nature of the world economy. She is also anti-gluten.

I didn't find too much to disagree with in what she talked about. She has a focus on working with smaller bodies like regional councils rather than national governments, because she thinks the path national governments are on has so much inertia in the wrong direction that they are not going to be able to do anything useful. I would think regional councils too are probably of limited use for the same reason, and smaller networks where people actually know each other are more important.

Anyway, she has a blog site called "The Automatic Earth" here:

_http://www.theautomaticearth.com/category/primers/

Back
Top Bottom