Boardlurker? Read this!!

a-star said:
As a serial procrastinator, I really appreciate this thread. The notion that by not communicating or participating, one is potentially robbing another of an opportunity to learn and grow is one that I've been thinking about a lot lately. I've really learnt a lot thanks to others participation, so I hope that I can make a positive contribution as well. Thanks!

Not only that, I think then we’re also denying ourselves opportunities to learn, and the network as a whole.

Imagine a large group of people faced with the problem of a rapidly spreading wildfire (ignorance) which threatens their home. They have access to water (knowledge) and a plentiful supply of buckets, how best then to tackle the problem? Surely they’d stand the best chance of success by forming a chain and working together. Relatively small packets of water/knowledge can be passed along the chain from one person to the next, the empty buckets (feedback) can then just as quickly get passed back along to the line to the source, refilled and sent outward once more. Once enough packets have been delivered the problem is resolved.

If everyone in the chain passes on buckets as they receive them then the fire is quickly dealt with. We don’t have to haul great tanks full of water on our own here, just take one bucket at a time and pass it on, sometimes it will be full, sometimes only half full, sometimes we spill some, it doesn’t matter, we just pass on whatever we have. The more people there are that join the chain the better, the water can move more quickly and further then for the benefit of all.

That kind of imagery brings this to mind too, of signals passing along neural pathways. We have to find in ourselves and work on whatever it is that stops the light from traveling back and forth along the line.

Vulcan59 said:
Are you a "cass boardlurker"? Yes? Then this definitely applies to you. And no, we are not interested in bored lurkers. :)

Long term (mostly) board lurker reporting in. Let me tell you for why..

In the nicest possible way, there are some fearsome intellects in this group - in a very quick and very precise way, it's not uncommon to see troublesome issues philosophically dissected and resolved. When I have already seen the point I would make, made several times over, more succinctly, and with a greater level of vision than I'd managed, then I fail to see the value in putting another 'me too' post. To my mind it creates noise and detracts from, and dilutes, the more succinct response.

So I read questions and posts, and I have responses I'm perfectly happy to post here, but 99 times out of a hundred, they've already been made. Without moving in to the bizarre and tangential. most topics only have a handful of angles you can approach from.

So I have to ask, why would I be blocked for simply refusing to increase the noise and distraction.. surely if the point is made, it is made and other people making it are adding nothing but more posts to wade through - and by necessity, more work to get to the nub.

To underline, I'm sure others in this lengthy thread have already made this point - as it's an obvious one. However, it's likely to be pointed out, if true, that others have already made this point and I should have read the thread.. see where I'm going?

I'm struggling to see why someone failing to have anything to give, that hasn't already been given, in a group of highly literate and intellectual individuals, should be held against them?.. surely even fellow intellectuals also have no points to make once the crucial point has been made?

Surely, iteration is just noise

Zaphod said:
Vulcan59 said:
Are you a "cass boardlurker"? Yes? Then this definitely applies to you. And no, we are not interested in bored lurkers. :)

Long term (mostly) board lurker reporting in. Let me tell you for why..

In the nicest possible way, there are some fearsome intellects in this group - in a very quick and very precise way, it's not uncommon to see troublesome issues philosophically dissected and resolved. When I have already seen the point I would make, made several times over, more succinctly, and with a greater level of vision than I'd managed, then I fail to see the value in putting another 'me too' post. To my mind it creates noise and detracts from, and dilutes, the more succinct response.

So I read questions and posts, and I have responses I'm perfectly happy to post here, but 99 times out of a hundred, they've already been made. Without moving in to the bizarre and tangential. most topics only have a handful of angles you can approach from.

So I have to ask, why would I be blocked for simply refusing to increase the noise and distraction.. surely if the point is made, it is made and other people making it are adding nothing but more posts to wade through - and by necessity, more work to get to the nub.

To underline, I'm sure others in this lengthy thread have already made this point - as it's an obvious one. However, it's likely to be pointed out, if true, that others have already made this point and I should have read the thread.. see where I'm going?

I'm struggling to see why someone failing to have anything to give, that hasn't already been given, in a group of highly literate and intellectual individuals, should be held against them?.. surely even fellow intellectuals also have no points to make once the crucial point has been made?

Surely, iteration is just noise
Well, it's been said already on this thread, that there is great value in saying something in your words that may already have been said in another person's words. Sometimes, when we read several posts saying essentially the same thing, the wording of one of them really hits home. As for the sophisticated intellectual articulations, sometimes saying something in simple language will hit home with one reader better than the other ones. So that's not an excuse!

Mr. Premise said:
Well, it's been said already on this thread, that there is great value in saying something in your words that may already have been said in another person's words. Sometimes, when we read several posts saying essentially the same thing, the wording of one of them really hits home. As for the sophisticated intellectual articulations, sometimes saying something in simple language will hit home with one reader better than the other ones. So that's not an excuse!

I hear you.. the posts that resonate with any particular individual, are not necessarily the ones that resonate with other individuals, so we all must all put our own thoughts to resonate with as many as possible..

In addition to using one's own words, it also helps to have reminders periodically too. So when things are restated, we can connect it to what we're currently learning and help the neurons wire closer together. To connect more dots!

I've recently read this in 1 Corinthians and this passage is relevant:

1 Corinthians 12:14-18 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) said:
14 Indeed, the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot would say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear would say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole body were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose.

So, every part in a network has its part to play, fwiw.

Zaphod said:

It may be best to clarify how you’re using the word "blocked" there, which is a word mentioned in the Cs quote in the very first post of this thread.

If you are taking it to mean blocked from the forum, then no, I don't think that would happen. That quote is more in the context of one's progress being blocked I think. Specifically when considering it within the context of networking, then we shouldn't expect to benefit too much from the lifetime of work that Laura and Ark have put in to creating everything, and the efforts of everyone else who invests their energy into the network. In that sense we are "blocked" if we can't somehow find a way to balance the energy we have received.

It can also be considered in terms of the progress that can be made through practicing and refining the art of networking. We can accelerate learning when we step outside of our comfort zones.

This post definitely resonates with me. I do believe that I have programs and mental thought loops that force me to not pursue some interesting ideas that I hope to share with the group because it may not be 'productive', 'categorized properly in the right forum' or 'relevant to the discussion'. I feel like I'm a sort of fly by night type that will post things and not interact as much as I could on this forum and have been trying to post more. I erroneously believe that if I'm not doing something fast enough or efficient enough, I'm doing it wrong. I used to give up many times and it would sap my motivation to work towards posting that idea on the forum (or, as in my personal life, pursue a learning project or 30 day project to explore something I've been interested it). As a result of this hesitancy, I'm negating the possibility of this being a learning process which progressively will build up my 'efficiency' and 'speed'! Talk about "blocking" advancement!

Additionally, I'm noticing my biggest focus seems to be "what can I do to make the biggest impact with the least amount of work'". This may also tie into the 'efficiency' constraint I've put on myself. I also find some negating thoughts coming from the "What can I add to the conversation that has not already been said" mentality that Zaphod and others likely feel as well. This can be hard to overcome as well. Even if my posts don't become the forum's equivalent of Reddit Gold over time, I'm learning to accept that I'm trying to add my unique perspective to the conversation. I just need to get more involved with posts and interaction more in a timely manner! :)

AutomatedMan said:
I'm learning to accept that I'm trying to add my unique perspective to the conversation.

And that's all we need to do I think, we do the best we can with what we've got. We can learn to push a little more with time as well though, and then 'what we've got' can grow and change too. Otherwise it can take us a long time to see that if we keep doing what we've always done, we'll keep getting what we've always gotten. But if we think it's possible to change our habits of repetition, then it's good idea to make a start!

Yes, I've posted a bit, but not so much considering I've been observing cass and sott evolve for 10 years now. I apologize to all of you for "chickening out" because I'm afraid of having all my faults exposed. Bam. I said it ha ha. My life-long anxiety is coming to light in my own consciousness, more-so over the past couple years. So now I can really do some work and perhaps share and learn with a group, at least, that is my intention. It feels like a relief to say this here, because there are few people present in my surroundings that are concerned with the level of evolution that I seek. I practice Chinese Medicine, and I finally decided to practice some herbal formulas on myself and discovered the difference between having anxiety and not having it... wow, big eye-opener. It's been there all my life...like a slave that grew accustomed to chains. I have a busy life with work and family, but I will try to contribute more time and energy here because I know in my heart of hearts that the growth of community is our only hope for survival beyond what the "slave-owners" have said life must be. Thanks for being.

Tree

I've noticed that there has been a lot more people coming to the forum of late due to not least the Corona virus and also the fact that some are in quarantine and thus have more time to be on the Forum. To all those who have come either as new or as long time silent participants, I would like to encourage you to post. We are all little consciousness units and thus all observe a little slice of reality. It is in the putting together all these little slices of reality that we are better able to see the whole mosaic reality.

Your view and/or what you observe around your or what you read in your local newspapers and media, is therefore also valuable and enriches us all, as we get more info and perspective. The results from a social experiment with only 5 people would not be worth a lot, because the sample base is too small. Results from 100 people or even a 1000 people would be more reliable.

Think of what we're doing here as one giant scientific social experiment with the aim of getting closer to finding the truth of the reality which we inhabit. The closer to the truth we are, the better will we with that knowledge be able to protect ourselves and those we care about. The times we live in currently should make it clear just how important accurate knowledge is for protection.

So take the jump and start sharing your perspectives by becoming active on the Forum. :flowers:

Thanks for your post and for bumping this thread, Aeneas. This is the thread that motivated me to join the forum and to start participating years ago. Before that, I'd read the forum and follow up on the sessions but not post. I think this went on for a couple years before seeing this thread back in 2009. I have found it helpful lately to refer back to this thread and I appreciate others contributions to it. There is a wealth of info here about the value of networking. I wholeheartedly encourage others to participate as they see fit!

For me too, this thread was a great motivator for "taking the plunge".

There are many new members and long-time silent members who are writing excellent posts lately. Think about it: why would you hold back your observations, thoughts and support? And deprive all of us of your wisdom, data and experiences? Isn't this selfish? And if you think you have nothing to contribute - who are you to judge!? God sees all, and it is He who, at the end of the day (and this life), will judge.

Also, as many of us have experienced first hand, actively participating and giving back is a necessity for progress, it is a divine law. So keep them coming!

I encourage anyone reading this to join us :flowers: It does get easier once you get a momentum going and stop worrying so much about the Spotlight Effect. I have read many posts from members who feel intimidated by the intellect and knowledge of other members - to that I would say that I think everyone has something valuable to give.

An excerpt from Vadim Zeland's Reality Transurfing (discussed further here) came to mind:

At this stage it is enough to establish the fact that a preoccupation with your own shortcomings in comparison to the qualities of others has the same effect as desiring to illustrate your comparative eminence. The result will be the opposite of what you originally intended.

Do not think that others around you attribute to your shortcomings the same meaning that you do. Everyone is mostly concerned with themselves, and so you can freely relieve yourself of a huge burden. Excess potential will dissipate, balanced forces will cease from accentuating the situation and the freed energy can be used for self-development.

Rather than fighting your flaws or trying to hide them, they can be compensated for with other qualities. Charm can compensate for lack of physical beauty. There are people who are relatively unattractive in their external appearance but who enthral others with their words. Self-confidence also compensates for physical flaws and many great historical figures were no picture to look at!

The inability to communicate freely can be compensated for by being a good listener: As the saying goes “They’re all lying, but it doesn’t matter because no-one is listening”. Your eloquence may interest people but only to a lesser degree. Everyone, just like you, is focused on themselves and their problems and so a good listener who will let you pour your heart out to them is a real treasure.
By this I mean that sharing your view when others post about personal issues, welcoming newbies to the forum, giving support and encouragement to members who are struggling is a big part of what is done here and you don't need a degree in anything to do that :halo:Jump on in!

I encourage anyone reading this to join us :flowers: It does get easier once you get a momentum going and stop worrying so much about the Spotlight Effect. I have read many posts from members who feel intimidated by the intellect and knowledge of other members - to that I would say that I think everyone has something valuable to give.

An excerpt from Vadim Zeland's Reality Transurfing (discussed further here) came to mind:

By this I mean that sharing your view when others post about personal issues, welcoming newbies to the forum, giving support and encouragement to members who are struggling is a big part of what is done here and you don't need a degree in anything to do that :halo:Jump on in!
I can only second what lainey said.
From my personal experience: At my beginning here on the forum there was such an aweful load of information, that I had no chance but only read read read. THEN when I had gained knowledge in some part it was always that if I had a thought to post - there was already another member who posted exact the same I wanted to say. But I overcame my shyness and started posting anyways. And it was all good and fine. None of my concerns came true, no one told me it was stupid or noise. What I want to say is if you are ready to work on yourself and gain knowledge than you dont have to be shy. And for language problems: DeepL seems to be very good at translating texts.
A very good starting point might be the coronavirus thread, as it has an effect on everybody right now. Nevertheless, the thread is exploded and it might be hard to keep up but I think it is essential to read through it before you start, because on page 288 you can't answer things again that were already answered on page 55, see?

Get started! Start networking! It is fun!

If I may, I would like to say to everyone who is to shy to write something, that in my opinion only thing that it matters is why you want write something rather than it's "intellectual significance". If we want to be selfish, it will appear in our speech and only for this possible reason can we get a "negative" feedback from others but if we really want say something to others because we feel that it could be important for them, even if this about crashing stones by us which gives us feeling of energy it would be good thing. There isn't something like "smart" or "intellectual" in the way our weird world understand those words. To be true, everyone including me is stupid and smart at the same time. What I learned from here and from my life our decisions is something very important, our knowledge also but being "intellectual" is hmm for me is like "blah blah blah" :-) Whe never know if our stones wouldn't help milions of people, or that our teaspoon from the tea set aside does not crystallize as the basis for the future electronic revolution! :-D . The matter is what we do. We must be cautious of course but reading this forum sometimes I feel that people think that they must talk with hiperdiper supermind to be allowed to speak - that's how predator mind works! (or I just imagined that in my way :-P ). That's just the forum, and we could have problems with massive messages, but it's not determine that we shouldn't write anything. Sometimes someone could say that those waves are similar to guitar, and someone else could add strings, and someone else could have eureka and invents some new motor thanks to that. We never know. Everyone seems to feel that their life isn't anything important. I understand, I feel the same. But look on Caesar. The most important things he done where most material things, he helped people to life their lifes, he was defeating enemies with his army, he could help his nation by speaking to them. He doesn't use some hiper laser from his eyes to destroy evil and later magicially make food for everyone. He was just a human, but he used everything he got to make life better :-) Do not forget about that you are also a human. You probably never will be able to be a superman, but you could try to make a way, day by day, to better future where everyone could be a superman :-) That's what I'm thinking about :-)

Back
Top Bottom