O dear, banning alcohol during a lock down surely will get the French out in masses?

'Residents of the French department of Aisne are heading for a truly harsh coronavirus lockdown, as local authorities have imposed a blanket ban on alcohol sales. The move is for their own good, officials argue.
Announcing the decision on Tuesday, Prefect of the department Ziad Khoury pointed out that alcohol abuse often goes hand in hand with domestic violence - which, many fear, is bound to surge under the lockdown.'

I had already been thinking of the grave issue of the probability of rising domestic violence numbers due to these lockdowns. Horrendous. My mother lives in The Netherlands and she said a few days ago the help lines are being overwhelmed with people having great difficulty with the children at home all the time.... imagine that.... Another feat of the panic football-measures creating real victims, who have nowhere to go.

Meanwhile here in Algarve, the weather indeed also cooler than normal for this time of year (i'm told by locals). Majority not wearing face masks, no screens in supermarkets (no shortages of anything either) and at local Spar people can just come and go and no one is standing 1.5 meters from each other. They are also out and about walking and still wearing friendly faces.

Funny thing: my daughter studying at Uni Of Leeds got all exams etc cancelled for this academic year, all first and second years pass while daughter at Uni of Newcastle (UK) still has to do all assessments and exams which are most probably due to be set for now in August. So totally up to the individual uni, no uniform policy it seems.

I wanted to post the new "attestation de déplacement/ travel certificate" for the French among us. With this new one, we have to write at which time we left our home. I guess we can get a fine for staying too long outside...

Attachments

• 14555651 derogation 25.03.2020.pdf
    134.4 KB · Views: 29
Govt. tested this calling it Janata Bandh ( People's Bandh) in 52 districts( out of 640) on March 22nd and asked people to stay inside. I talked to my relatives and they complained of media hysteria initially. Around 70% of the people followed the ordered and some were got hit by police to go back inside. There are lot of social media video's police beating the folks who haven't followed orders with sticks.
I meant to say 70%. Heck, I should be careful writing after a long day.

I wanted to post the new "attestation de déplacement/ travel certificate" for the French among us. With this new one, we have to write at which time we left our home. I guess we can get a fine for staying too long outside...
Let me tell you: this is becoming a extremely hard dictature, type Khmer rouges. I don't like that at all. Maybe I am a paranoiac but this is becoming more like maybe the harsh dictatures I have eve read. Little by little they are making people suffer. Very soon it will be tobacco. And then food. And then water. Is this a nightmare we are living or what?

Oh no! What a pity! Coronavirus: Parliament to shut down tonight over COVID-19 spread fears

MPs have been told off recently for sitting too close together in the main chamber, which can only seat around 400 of the 650 of them anyway.

Taking into account their propaganda and exaggerated statistics it would be more beneficial (space-wise) for them if they continue for a little longer ;-D

EDIT: I realized this kind of humor may be inappropriate. I'm sorry, I was always great fan of Monty Python but we all know it's no longer funny, isn't it?

Last edited:
The show goes on: Coronavirus: Prince Charles tests positive for COVID-19

That's good - drivers across the country can feel safer ;-D

EDIT: it wasn't him I meant but still from the same blood line :-)

Since Chucky is over 70, he should be one of those who is not treated, right?

And notice this in the story:

On 10 March, Prince Charles hosted a WaterAid summit at Clarence House to discuss the impact of climate change on access to drinking water.

The event was also attended by Prince Albert of Monaco, who last week became the first head of state confirmed to have tested positive for coronavirus.

So, apparently the rules for the rest of us do not apply to the elite? Is Albert now spreading the joy among his social pals?

Tucker does a great job analyzing how politicized the proposed US financial relief legislation (for those hit hard by the loss of income) has become in Washington. While watching it and re-realizing how truly insane many in the Democratic party have become (and our body politic as a whole), I could feel my chest tighten, and breathing shortened. Then I decided I'd just post it here and felt almost instantly better! :-)

Thank you for sharing, I understand you uneasiness. Many US politicians are, it seems, amazing at the amount of collateral damage they are willing to make in their chase to leave their mark on history. If it before was mainly visible in the US relation to other countries like Iran, Syria, Afghanistan, Yemen, Libya and nations in South America now sectors in their own population appear as a target.

Perhaps the outcome of these policies ties in with what @msante wrote.
[...]
I'm re-reading "Defying Hitler" again and I got to the part in chapter 11 where Haffner talks about a very little documented phenomenon that took place in Germany from 1924, when the economy stabilized and a period of peace and some prosperity began.

According to Haffner, a significant sector of the population was lost in terms of how to deal with the possibility of living a quiet life and developing the personal and private aspects of self-realization. Countless people who were accustomed to filling their lives with the constant excitement from internal political/economic/social conflicts resulting from post-war misery, suddenly found themselves standing on a void where the possibility of building a life of their own, of living joys and frustrations emanating exclusively from their private lives, was not an option. These people were like addicts to chaos, to conflict, to the intense emotion of fighting for survival. They were incapable of building something great from an ordinary private life, of enjoying it and making it interesting. These people did not receive the end of political tension and the return to a quiet and free life as a gift, but as a deprivation, as if something vital had been taken away from them.

Haffner makes it clear that not all Germans reacted in this way. There were some who, during this period, learned how to live. They began to live their own lives free from the daily intoxication of war and the constant threat of revolution.

According to Haffner, it was at this time that, in an invisible way and without anyone noticing, the Germans were divided between those who would later become Nazis and those who would remain non-Nazis.
[..]

What do you or the UK folks here make of this? Some sanity in the UK?

I shared this on FB yesterday and had a few people who were also suspicious (but keeping it to themselves) private message me to talk about it.

It's interesting that this declassification from a High Consequence Infection Disease (HCFD) happened on 19th March, but BoJo made his full lockdown announcement and sent everyone in the UK this text message on 23th March, saying 'GOV.UK CORONAVIRUS ALERT New rules in force now: you must stay at home. More info & exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.'

According to study made at the University of Oxford, half of UK population may already have the virus, and only 0,1 percent of them would need hospital treatment. And this would add to the evidence that coronavirus morbidity is actually lower than on average flu season.
The new coronavirus may already have infected far more people in the UK than scientists had previously estimated — perhaps as much as half the population — according to modelling by researchers at the University of Oxford. If the results are confirmed, they imply that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment, said Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study.

The vast majority develop very mild symptoms or none at all. “We need immediately to begin large-scale serological surveys — antibody testing — to assess what stage of the epidemic we are in now,” she said. The modelling by Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group indicates that Covid-19 reached the UK by mid-January at the latest. Like many emerging infections, it spread invisibly for more than a month before the first transmissions within the UK were officially recorded at the end of February.

@Seppo Ilmarinen the link to Financial Times article you posted if for subscribers only :-(
Oh, I was able to see it without subscription, but not anymore. Here's link to another news article:

Back
Top Bottom