Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program

I want to report that I noted that anytime I do the program, even if I have a lot of time without doing it, I feel a bit depressed. That used to happened before when I did the program with consistent frequency, but now I am kind of more sensitive. I remembered that the recommendation was skip the baha part, but two months between meditations is a lot time to being so sensitive. :huh:

I want to report that I noted that anytime I do the program, even if I have a lot of time without doing it, I feel a bit depressed. That used to happened before when I did the program with consistent frequency, but now I am kind of more sensitive. I remembered that the recommendation was skip the baha part, but two months between meditations is a lot time to being so sensitive. :huh:

It's possible, I think, that your doing the full program is helping you to release (and experience) feelings of sadness and depression that are already 'there' and perhaps repressed - but just not known to you in your usual daily experience for whatever reasons; kind of like detoxing heavy metals or toxins which have always been in our bodies (to our detriment) but aren't really known to us until they start to get moved out, ie. through a healing event.

In this respect, you might think of feeling somewhat depressed after doing EE as one of the gentlest ways of healing yourself and dealing with emotions and stresses that may act on you in unwanted ways, at other times, without your even realizing it. That said, you can still skip the baha, do just the pipe breathing and POTS, and work on strengthening yourself in other ways until you feel prepared to feel a little depressed by doing the full program again. Let us know how it goes.

It's possible, I think, that your doing the full program is helping you to release (and experience) feelings of sadness and depression that are already 'there' and perhaps repressed - but just not known to you in your usual daily experience for whatever reasons; kind of like detoxing heavy metals or toxins which have always been in our bodies (to our detriment) but aren't really known to us until they start to get moved out, ie. through a healing event.

In this respect, you might think of feeling somewhat depressed after doing EE as one of the gentlest ways of healing yourself and dealing with emotions and stresses that may act on you in unwanted ways, at other times, without your even realizing it. That said, you can still skip the baha, do just the pipe breathing and POTS, and work on strengthening yourself in other ways until you feel prepared to feel a little depressed by doing the full program again. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you Ennio, it could be that by postpone so much time doing the exercise, a lot of the feelings accumulated. So I think that I better deal with those feelings once and for all. Maybe I do not want to suffer but it is better to release them step by step that deal with a big one.

Thank you Ennio, it could be that by postpone so much time doing the exercise, a lot of the feelings accumulated. So I think that I better deal with those feelings once and for all. Maybe I do not want to suffer but it is better to release them step by step that deal with a big one.

Well it sucks to suffer (pardon my French). Who wants to suffer? Not me. Not you. Not anyone, really. What we do want is to be as healthy - body, mind and soul - as we can possibly be of course, because we know more or less what's coming down the road rather fast! But every time we pass up the possibility of advancing ourselves a little by not applying the good stuff or experimenting constructively with ourselves we risk slipping just a little bit I fear. We get to choose how we're going to pay for our futures and on the plus side we now have the opportunity to choose, to some extent anyway.

As for doing EE in particular, I have almost always found doing it to be extremely relaxing in a way that few things are. Maybe just being open to the idea that it'll relax you, too, will be of some help. Emotional releases have been known to happen among some here, but I don't think that's the general rule necessarily. So no need to fear it really. And even if that does happen, an emotional release that is, I bet you a dollar that you'll feel some amount of relief afterwards ;-)

Interesting article.

Newfound neurological mechanism explains how breathing can sharpen your focus

Researchers at Trinity College Dublin have uncovered a neurophysiological link between respiration and cognition, offering a fascinating anatomical explanation behind the long-held connection between ancient breathing-based meditation practices and cognitive benefits.

For centuries, breathing-focused meditation practices have suggested that certain breathing techniques can result in a variety of beneficial outcomes, including positive emotions and increased cognitive focus. It is only recently that researchers have begun to uncover the physiological explanations behind these anecdotal reports.

This latest study from Trinity College Dublin has uncovered the first neurophysiological connection linking respiration and attentional systems in the brain. The research homed in on a small area in the brain called the locus coeruleus, which is responsible for producing a hormone and neurotransmitter called noradrenaline.

"Noradrenaline is an all-purpose action system in the brain," explains lead author on the study Michael Melnychuk. "When we are stressed we produce too much noradrenaline and we can't focus. When we feel sluggish, we produce too little and again, we can't focus. There is a sweet spot of noradrenaline in which our emotions, thinking and memory are much clearer."

The study found that neurons in the locus coeruleus are chemosensitive, responsive to CO2 levels that vary according to different respiratory phases. The subsequent hypothesis from the research is that there is a relationship between attentional performance and respiration that is modulated via the locus coeruleus.

"This study has shown that as you breathe in locus coeruleus activity is increasing slightly, and as you breathe out it decreases," says Melnychuk. "Put simply this means that our attention is influenced by our breath and that it rises and falls with the cycle of respiration. It is possible that by focusing on and regulating your breathing you can optimize your attention level and likewise, by focusing on your attention level, your breathing becomes more synchronized."

This intriguing neurophysiological connection between respiration and attention raises some exciting therapeutic possibilities suggesting breathing could be a way to directly modulate levels of noradrenaline. The study points to further research that could result in non-pharmacological treatments for different patients with attentional compromised conditions. This may include children with ADHD or elderly populations suffering from dementia.

The research was published in the journal Psychophysiology.

Thank you for sharing - that's very interesting, Keit! When I looked up the locus coeruleus region mentioned in that article, Wikipedia told me the following:

Wikipedia said:
The locus coeruleus (\-si-ˈrü-lē-əs\, also spelled locus caeruleus or locus ceruleus[1]) is a nucleus in the pons of the brainstem involved with physiological responses to stress and panic. It is a part of the reticular activating system.

The locus coeruleus is the principal site for brain synthesis of norepinephrine (noradrenaline). The locus coeruleus and the areas of the body affected by the norepinephrine it produces are described collectively as the locus coeruleus-noradrenergic system or LC-NA system.[2] Norepinephrine may also be released directly into the blood from the adrenal medulla.

That also reminds me of a post by Gaby early in the Neurofeedback thread, that hyperactivity in the brain stem region could obstruct / block proper cortical activity (as a physician has told her) and how the brain stem seems to be key in regards to attention (connecting to focus):

I was explained that attention doesn't begin in the prefrontal cortex, it begins in the brain stem. And that if I wanted more attention, "I needed to give each brain region its due". My brain stem should be more "animal" and less "human" if I'm to have a more human cortex (i.e. active prefrontal cortex). I was explained that all the attention research is taught wrongly, or at least it is commonly misunderstood. It is not only that there is lack of attention due to low prefrontal cortex activity, it is low attention potential because the brain stem is not working properly. It surely is much more complex than this, with researchers describing several types of attention and so forth. But basically, attention starts in the brain stem.

From my experience, focus is pretty dispersed if anxiety and agitation are going on - and if I do some proper breathing, a calming affect sets in which corroborates to more focus as well. So it's good to know that some research confirms that, which again also encourages to use Pipe Breathing properly and appreciating it more as a useful tool.

And if I am in a situation where it can be somewhat awkward to do some PB (like being proximate to many people in the same room), POTS (or the Evening Prayer for the crystals) helps me to calm myself as well (while recited in my head), thus gaining more focus again.

Reactions: Yas
I'm taking the opportunity to jump in the thread, mid stream as it were, to share some of my experiences with the EE program. For reasons that are likely based predominantly in my particular programming, I have been unsure of how to go about it while avoiding creating a distraction for others or somehow skewing expectations. Firstly, I feel compelled to say that I can only report my subjective experience/interpretation of phenomena and make no claims as to knowing their true nature. I'll try to summarize the experiences via several posts in order to better organize my thoughts and avoid making a burdensome dissertation of the whole thing. My intent is two-fold: I've been out of practice recently and recapitulating here will help me reestablish what I see as a vital spiritual discipline; my greatest hope, however, is that fellow students will be encouraged to persist in their own practice and be drawn into ever closer connection with Divine Cosmic Mind. I'll lean on the moderators to give constructive criticism, make commentary or redact as they deem necessary.

I'll be digging into the archives a bit as it's been since 2009 since I started doing EE breathing, with varying degrees of consistency. The first time I did the program I was following along with the video, which was incredibly helpful as I was unsure about my execution of the various breathing techniques. I don't recall at what point I zoned out, but I do recall perceiving (in some altered state) bands of light moving progressively around my body. It felt as though they were pulsating or I was pulsating with them as each passed. When I picture it now, it seems like what one might feel in an MRI if one could feel the waves. I really didn't know what to make of the phenomenon, but it was clear something was happening. As I didn't have any prior experience meditating, and this thread was barely 7 pages long at that point, I didn't have any set expectations or context in which to evaluate it. One admonition from those early threads that registered with me was the warning about the pitfalls of chasing metaphysical experiences. I've experienced a lot of "high strangeness" from early childhood and the experience had always been one of struggling against forces beyond the veil. With that mindset in place, I filed the episode away for later review when my knowledge caught up to provide illumination. Interestingly, I later read in one is the C's comments that the breathing and meditation were like baths of light or something to that effect. If someone is familiar with the reference and can post it that would be great. Well, with a start like the one I had, my curiosity was certainly piqued and I was eager to discover what new developments further consistent practice would bring.

My husband purchased this video almost two years ago and although he has tried to practice the breathing techniques and get me involved I was a little off and felt uncomfortable with it. My practice sessions were not very fruitful as I only tried a couple of times but this is one area that we will both try to work on together again. We thank you for the information and look forward to having "learning is fun" kind of days.

Do not worry, try to do the same as in instructional video tells you, you will get more or less comfortable with time.
And then it will be fun and happiness.

Absolutely it needs some practice. You are training several unused muscles.

My husband purchased this video almost two years ago and although he has tried to practice the breathing techniques and get me involved I was a little off and felt uncomfortable with it.

Which part (breathing exercises) of the program made you feel uncomfortable?

Which part (breathing exercises) of the program made you feel uncomfortable?

I did not really give the beginning a good try. When my husband tried to get me involved with this I was not even remotely at a place where I could expand my mind outside of my white picket fence so I would describe myself as a toddler climbing a step and wanting to be picked up and carried. It is definitely an area of finding my own balance that will be worked on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not really give the beginning a good try. When my husband tried to get me involved with this I was not even remotely at a place where I could expand my mind outside of my white picket fence so I would describe myself as a toddler climbing a step and wanting to be picked up and carried. It is definitely an area of finding my own balance that will be worked on.

Thank you. Then take your time and go step by step and when you feel ready you can take the next step. The online videos give you good explanation and as already said it needs practice and some time to get into it.

Usually when I do Round Breathing exercise, I get so cold in my body( some kind cold energy) that make me shiver.
But today’s Round Breathing made me heat up in my body that I was sweating. It was really hot!
And most times when I do EE, I see dark blue light and violet lights in my mind’s eyes. I wonder, is anyone see different light?

EE update
Observations on EE, 2010-2018

I’ve been practicing since I purchased the EE DVD in 2010 (watched it a couple of times at the beginning, then once or twice in the years since, I copied the audio files to mp3’s and transferred them to my iPod and phone to have them on hand) at first sporadically, sometimes not for weeks, then other times intensely liking during a fast I would do EE every day. I joined a local EE group around 2013-2014 and have been doing EE with them most every week, except during the summer break. In the last year or so I’ve been more consistent, practicing EE on my own at least once a week, most often twice a week, and on occasion three times a week. I have been doing POTS almost every night, most often with the guided meditation, but also without.
One thing I have noticed in my EE practise is that at first I was trying to hard, being very focused on doing the count and the breathing correctly (for Pipe Breath) and synchronous breathing during Beatha and POTS, so much so that I often had to consciously relax my arms and hands as they would tense up. For the last two or three years I would say I no longer become tense during EE.
When practising EE at home I often do it while doing an IR sauna in a saunas bag, so I am lying down during EE, and during the local group EE I only sit up for the Warrior Breath, the rest are done lying down. I haven’t done the yoga like warm up exercises at home or at the local group EE practice.

Pipe Breathing
It was pretty easy to learn Pipe Breathing, based on the ‘fogging glasses’ concept. Doing the count by myself was not difficult either. I generally do not do it while sitting as I find it uncomfortable and difficult to do. At one point I was going through a stressful time at work and at home, so I started practising EE in the transit ride to and from work. I did this for a few months but I did not notice any benefits, so I stopped doing it after a while. By benefits I mean feeling more relaxed, less stressed. There may have been a subtle grounding effect. It is possible that during my Pipe Breathing I might have been so conscious of doing the counting and breathing correctly, plus being quiet so that fellow passengers would not notice, may have lessened any beneficial effects. There is a natural tension/relaxation dynamic with Pipe Breath anyway, tension on inhaling and holding, relaxation on exhaling and holding. Reading Healing Developmental Trauma made me think that I may have a problem with the ventral/dorsal vagal nerve also.
The hand positions for the first two Pipe Breathing positions I understand are to acquaint people with the belly breathing technique, as a marker to make sure their belly is rising and falling as they breath. Is there another reason to use these hand positions, perhaps an esoteric reason? Since I have been focusing on belly breathing since my twenties, this is how I most naturally breath these days anyway.

Warriors Breath
I find the Warriors Breath very energizing, either sitting up or lying down.

Beatha
With Beatha I first began to experience “going away” or “zoning out” after a couple of years of practise. During the beginning I can’t remember much if anything in the way of obvious emotional reactions/abreactions, but that may have been because I was focusing on breathing correctly and in the same rhythm as Laura. Generally I don’t have noticeable emotions come up, but have noticed in the past few years that thoughts and sometimes images arise, sometimes anger, or fear/anxiety, sometimes sexual. I am not sure if this would count as being a consequence of Beatha, as they seem so similar to my day-to-day experience. They may be connected to Beatha, or they may be a result of allowing Beatha to become at times somewhat mechanical so that my ‘normal’ consciousness comes into play. When these thoughts/feelings arise, I try to refocus on the breathing, but I am not sure that I should do that. Perhaps I should just observe the thoughts and feelings as in meditation?
I do not freely access my emotions, and I have been telling myself to relax, open up, and allow whatever I feel to come forth while doing Beatha.

POTS
I do the POTS most every night now for the past year. Originally I would just do it as a part of EE, but when travelling I would do the POTS at night before sleep. After reading that Laura was doing it every night, I thought it could be something I could do as well, so I do it most nights. There’s a difference between following Laura in the POTS, and doing it myself. With Laura I can zone out, but come back to her voice and continue the POTS. By myself I can zone out, forget completely where I was, and have to start over, then zone out again, and have to start over. I try to do it about three times, but sometimes I can only do it once. A factor at work here is I am doing it in bed before sleep.
When I do the POTS as part of EE, I do not zone out as often when doing it alone, it is more similar to doing it in the local group EE, but I do usually zone out at least once. In fact I have accused of sleeping! After the POTS is over and Laura asks us to relax, I often do another POTS alone, and try to time it to synch with Laura so that match her when she says “Divine Cosmic mind” then “Bless you all” and then I do a thank you (gratitude). I used to have a hard time opening up enough to feel gratitude, but as I continue, it comes easier.
Many time when I have finished POTS (lately, every time) tears fall. I don’t feel an emotion as such like sadness, perhaps it is connected to gratitude? But I would have tears before I started ending POTS that way, so I am not sure what’s going on, but I am grateful for it. This usually does not happen in the local group EE (because there are people around?)
I noticed that after my sessions with NeurOptimal that I was able to cry emotional tears much more readily (basically I never have before EE and NeurOptimal)

Back
Top Bottom