Gregory James - Faux "Master"?

GregoryJ said:
Spiral Out, you're importing private conversations from only one side, more than once now – which does not represent an objective perspective. I invited you to study TaiChi and ChiGong with me because YOU asked me about teachings on DVD and showed a general interest – disclosing to me your frustrations over trying to find good teachers in this particular field. Originally, however, I did not approach you with being a teacher; YOU asked me after having noted that I was a teacher, remember? So when I invited you (much later – after many interactions on a number of topics) to study with me, I was just sharing and offering an opportunity. I also asked you to excuse me if my offer seemed out of order. You said it wasn't. You also neglected to mention here that I also asked you to share your understanding of the Forth Way with me during this time. I never asked you for money or tried to force anything on you. Anyway, you said you were grateful and wished you could come but couldn't afford the travel expense, but suddenly I'm a bad man for even inviting you?

You are nitpicking one little thing and blow it out of proportion in light of everything else is discussed here, which you ignore. You also keep engaging in logical fallacies that are apparent throughout this thread, most of them being:
_http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
_http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-emotion
_http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/tu-quoque
_http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/special-pleading
_http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ambiguity
_http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/no-true-scotsman
_http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-texas-sharpshooter

I never said you're a "bad man for inviting me". I hinted at your over-blown ego that is so eager to "teach" (not only Tai Chi) masked under a false mask of "humility". From the get-go you were eager to share with me what you "know" and several times asked me to post your blogs on my wall. What kind of "master" of any esoteric tradition has the need to do that? I was asking your for resources about Tai Chi and if you knew someone in the LA area and if you had some advise about learning Tai Chi in general. I never said it was "wrong" to invite me, but the way you presented yourself and keep talking about yourself set off some red flags.

From the beginning your strong identification of being a "teacher" came through and I was actually being "externally considerate" at first and even feeding your ego in purpose to see how you react, because, quite frankly, I couldn't believe that a "master" would "talk" like you do. I saw the feeding early on, the flattery, and your idea of being "friends" so early on was also strange to say the least based on some FB chats. However, it was not my place to call you out right away, especially in a PM, hence I just made some hints and also suggested to you to engage on here since you "respected" this network "admired" Laura's work so much. Of course the "respect" is only there as long as everyone feeds that image of yours and doesn't challenge the obvious distorted views you have of yourself.
I'll be in Guatemala from next week through October. I'm telling you this because it's much closer to your neck of the woods and if you'd like to drop down, I'd be delighted to share with you my knowledge of Taichi and Chi Gong. I won't ask for any payment, just your sharing in exchange... I'm very interested in your knowledge as well.

I'm not running any formal seminars or workshops during this time (except possibly an intensive in Mexico City), as I've been teaching non-stop for three years, and need to focus more deeply on my own practice for a while – and the location of the Mayan culture seems a great place to do it. So only a few dedicated students (who invariably find me and show up where ever I go) will be around. This will give us the opportunity to focus more individually (as opposed to the larger groups I normally have to manage).

However impossible it is to make this sound humble, I have specialized knowledge in this arena that unfortunately, most other teachers do not. Chi Gong – while retaining some of its own "mysterious intelligence" – is, most-usually, a highly bastardized and misunderstood practice. Judging by your earlier comments about the "teachers" you've found (and learning from books) I'm sure you'll be amazed by what is missing from the commonplace understanding of the practice. And I know that with your intensive mind, you would find it quite transformational where your Chi Gong practice is concerned.

I wondered why you didn't respond to my invitation to do some training – at least to say no thanks (not that you are obliged of course) - and so I read what I had written to you and realized what an arrogant, self-agrandizing prick I made myself out to be!! I don't have to tell you that was not my intension nor did it adequately convey what I was really trying to say (never mind the limitations of email). I'm often amazed at what a fool I can make of myself purely by accident; personality agility has never been my thing to begin with, and I've gotten so accustomed to caring very little about how I am perceived by others (except for very general amicability, which always makes life move along more smoothly). Being misunderstood most of my life somewhat forces this on me – caring little for what others think of me – as a basic means of happiness. It seems I have the opposite of a mask of sanity; I am totally transparent and direct and end up sounding crazy anyway! I surely would not make a good politician!
I suspect this will teach me better to proof-read my emails before I send them!
So what I was really trying to say is simply that I'm not running any formal seminars or workshops but there will be a few students around who I will be teaching off and on. In other words, I wanted to convey that, although I am here mainly to focus on my own practice (to find a bit of solitude) it would in no way be an imposition if you elected to come, and that I would have the time to teach you some Chi Gong from a quality perspective (that, judging from previous conversations, is something you've been looking for).
I just wanted to say thanks for how much you have inspired and influenced me and my work, in the only way I really can do – other than just saying it.
Cheers, friend.

Never found anyone yet who can deny what I can demonstrate

I know everybody says their master is the best, but you'll have to take my word for it... he's the Real deal.

If I told you about what he can do, and what he has taught me to do... well, let's just say you'd have to either be very open minded or very credulous to believe me.....

I am a Senior Disciple of this system, so what he shares with me is not what he teaches the general public, but suffice to say, I am not stranger to what you right about being controlled and manipulated by unseen forces, etc. I play it down in my writing because I have learned my lesson the hard way that I can't reach people by going so far over their head.....

What I teach is deadly (to the practitioner) if not properly guided.....

I'm a Transmitter.

That is, I Connect the student and together we reach the "Network." There, I Broadcast or Transmit the Energy that fundamentally alters the student's Consciousness. From there he/she can develop in his /her own practice. This is how I way trained – Exposure.

There are no "accidents" in the way you present yourself, nor is anything "misunderstood". This is just your buffer and excuse to avoid seeing yourself as you truly are. Saying that you "care little what others think of you" shows also your identification with your image and is also your buffer which keeps you from taking in the mirrors presented here. It is self-importance pure and simple. This whole thread is an example of how you make a "fool" of yourself and it's not by "accident" or because you are being "misunderstood". You are lying to yourself and to others in many ways. You actually ARE arrogant and self-aggrandizing in more ways than you can even admit to yourself. This whole thread is an example of that.

Being misunderstood most of my life somewhat forces this on me – caring little for what others think of me – as a basic means of happiness. It seems I have the opposite of a mask of sanity; I am totally transparent and direct and end up sounding crazy anyway!

This justification of your "basic means to happiness" is your buffer to justify your sleep, while dreaming to be awake.

I've never seen a "master" of an "esoteric tradition" to engage in so many logical fallacies or makes excuses of "being misunderstood". On top of it, I've never seen such "master" lacking some very basic understanding of psychology which shows in your "I'm just joking" fallacy.

GregoryJ said:
Being misunderstood most of my life somewhat forces this on me – caring little for what others think of me – as a basic means of happiness. It seems I have the opposite of a mask of sanity; I am totally transparent and direct and end up sounding crazy anyway!

Actually I would tend to think that he feels the opposite - he cares very much what others think of him. This thread is clear evidence of that. All that he's written to you are lies, to others and more importantly to himself. It's a narrative he's chosen to explain his behavior. In his eyes, he's totally transparent, but to everyone else who is willing to look at him objectively, he is the opposite, full of insincerity. It's interesting that he claims to have the opposite of a mask of sanity. That's like the man proclaiming to be the humblest person in the world - it sounds ridiculous when spoken out loud, or written to someone else. If he truly were totally transparent, he wouldn't have to point it out to people. It would be totally obvious.

Oh, and what is personality agility? Sounds like a phrase he made up to explain his inability to turn some people into followers. Like he just needs to get better at it and then everyone will fall under his sway. Strange wording there...

Heimdallr said:
GregoryJ said:

Actually I would tend to think that he feels the opposite - he cares very much what others think of him. This thread is clear evidence of that. All that he's written to you are lies, to others and more importantly to himself. It's a narrative he's chosen to explain his behavior. In his eyes, he's totally transparent, but to everyone else who is willing to look at him objectively, he is the opposite, full of insincerity. It's interesting that he claims to have the opposite of a mask of sanity. That's like the man proclaiming to have be the humblest person in the world - it sounds ridiculous when spoken out loud, or written to someone else. If he truly were totally transparent, he wouldn't have to point it out to people. It would be totally obvious.

And he seemingly can't even conceive that he could act in a way that was not of his choosing. It's straight out of ISOTM: the 'man' who imagines he already has qualities that can only be developed with hard work; dreaming he's awake. GJ wrote:

You have third-party help distorting first-party comments and it's fully blown out of proportion. I am sorely disappointed. I only ever engaged you because I admire you.

Personally, I'm never so sure when I 'engage' with a person. There are usually all kinds of hidden motivations and programs directing my behavior, and they can be darn tricky to see.

I know I've made that clear. Perhaps that admiration was misplaced. That's my fault, I guess, but disappointing nonetheless. <-- fwiw, this is genuine sadness I am feeling and expressing (since it seems otherwise indiscernible).

Doesn't read like sadness to me. I see a personal dig at spiralout, and a personal interpretation/narrative that keeps the ego intact and unscathed.

Some of what has been said here is valuable to me (as I have repeatedly stated) but much is just wrong – especially where so much gets overlaid onto my words and twisted and mangled into something that I didn't say or reflect, nor feel in my heart.

Again, there's more to our actions than what we literally say and what we 'feel' in our hearts. Those are only what's on the surface. But there's so much more to every action than that, which is made all too clear in the cognitive psychology research on the forum.

There was never any doubt in my mind that GregoryJ wasn't ready to give up his New Age cake. We can deconstruct his posts again and again, but he likely will not change overnight. Spiral Out, I question why you pursued this. Is this your way of extricating yourself from an unwanted contact? Couldn't you have been sly as a fox and made some excuse to cut it off? You could've treated his messages as New Age spam.

Muxel said:
There was never any doubt in my mind that GregoryJ wasn't ready to give up his New Age cake. We can deconstruct his posts again and again, but he likely will not change overnight. Spiral Out, I question why you pursued this. Is this your way of extricating yourself from an unwanted contact? Couldn't you have been sly as a fox and made some excuse to cut it off? You could've treated his messages as New Age spam.

Muxel, I think you've missed the entire point of this thread. Did you also miss Laura's post?
Laura said:
Reminds me of the study of incompetent people who are even incompetent in understanding their own incompetence. I think it was useful for us to get a real handle on what's going on there, however.

Muxel said:
Spiral Out, I question why you pursued this. Is this your way of extricating yourself from an unwanted contact? Couldn't you have been sly as a fox and made some excuse to cut it off? You could've treated his messages as New Age spam.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pursuing". Have you read the whole thread? I contributed my insights and exchanges with him after he was being questioned here. I didn't contact him at all since this thread started. He wrote me out of the blue since then (as I posted here) and I wrote one response (posted here too) and shared my confusion with it. I also don't understand what you mean by my "way of extricating myself from an unwanted contact." I'm providing data so we can all learn from it, including myself. I'm not sure if you are aware of the the fact that Gregory wrote a couple of SOTT Focus articles with the help of Laura and some of his other blogs were posted on SOTT too. He also has been very outspoken on FB about the same issues posted on SOTT, supporting Laura's work and sharing SOTT articles.

As I wrote before, I gave him the "benefit of a doubt" and just don't write someone off because I see some flaws, especially if that person is a SOTT contributor, nor were his messages just "New Age spam". It all revealed itself over a year of communicating on FB here and there. Just like Laura mentioned earlier, I also saw his good intentions. This is also a good lesson for me and I have learned much through my exchange with him in retrospect and through this thread. Also, the fact that I've stayed in contact with him for so long gave me the ability to observe him more, so I don't just assume or go by "first impression" (although most of the time those impressions seem to be right on). I challenged him on the "master title" early on and "scratched" him a bit, which revealed a lot, mostly telling me that I was "projecting". As I also wrote before, I "gave him what he wanted to hear" out of external consideration and suggested to him to share on this forum and ask his questions on here (He wrote me several times asking about topics that are better discussed on the forum), especially since he became more involved with SOTT and Laura's work. His responses then revealed more of his "true nature". Hope that clarifies it.

Just wanted to chime in as this thread is quite personal and timely to me…and chiming in seems to be the best use of this forums ability to point out personal issues. So here goes. I say it's timely because I recently "friended" on friend-face(FB) many of those in this thread and Gregory was one of them. One of my problems/programs (still learning the language) is that whenever I see someone hit hard on the truth I immediately want to associate with them as thoroughly as possible, head first and arms open, and currently it seems I associate with nobody who seeks truth (something i'm working on, but old habits, long friendships and familial alignment "obligations"…die hard). This can be noted in the example of my third or fourth post ever being a plea along the lines of, "when do we all get to meet, hold hands and sing songs together?!!" Ironically this thread almost becomes a great example of why Anart suggested back then that it does not happen right of the bat if ever.

So when I read GJ's articles on Sott and then followed up by reading all his other articles in his blog, I was very excited when he accepted my friendship; just as I was with Spiral Out, Anart, Lisa G and LKJ…the shear effect it had on my daily FB news feed (and subsequently my sense of alienation being alleviated) was huge. When I continued to read about his Tai chi discipline i was very excited (much like Spiral), in that here was someone "down with the scooby gang" (or so i thought) who could point me in the direction of a discipline I could sink my teeth into. A discipline that didn't seem to conflict with everything discussed here, and more so that could possibly be used as protection if the crap hits the fan…[a feeling that fluctuates, but grew today after watching "Samsara". I highly recommend it to get a sense of the sheer volume of ritualized and programmed people from every walk, that will be out there come any sort of cataclysm…a scary thought indeed…but one i combat with a mantra that popped into my head recently thanks to the C's: "The secret to eternal life is Existence!". A helpful thought.] :/

So, I too wrote Gregory asking if there was some sort of tool out there (literally, as i found a lot of apps that promote TaiChi instruction) that i could acquire to supplement my work here and life and its' possible defense come what may! And like Spiral he informed me of Guatemala (a later date i believe, in April when it's open to the public I think) and the need for a "teacher". At first I was sad because I wanted him to just say, "Do the Taichi work and you'll get there". But then i was excited because here was this Teacher, associated with these people I respect and feel are the only humans on earth actually getting to the heart of a reasonable (to me) explanation of just what might be going down.

And so literally I began to contemplate going down there. Why not? I live in a "small boat" floating in a "sea of lies", why not set sail for "truth town"!? Which is the heart of my problem, thinking one person can have the whole truth... When in fact it takes a 'village' (in this case a forum) to raise a 'baby' (in this case, a true understudying of the peril we all face, and how maybe to get out alive)… :O

…but lo and behold, somehow luck smiled down on me and presented this thread right then an there as my resolve to take the plunge with GJ grew. Of course at first I was like, "why are y'all busting his chops so hard?! You guys are tough!" But as I read on, it started to be clearer and clearer that GJ did not have the whole truth and nothing but. Not that I don't think his writing is powerful, but again, It takes a forum. And GJ, if your still here, as much as I "sided" with you in the first quarter of this discussion, it's clear that you are holding on to something…even to little new me. I still think you're way wiser than I am from your blogs, but I also have to wonder how much of it was fished from the forum. I'm not throwing the tai chi baby out with the truth water, but if your practice doesn't incorporate the findings of LKJ, the forum and all the hard hitting sources that are leading them to the fullest understanding humanity has had of itself since it fell from "grace", then it just ain't up to snuff to face what we humans are up against, IMHO. So for what it's worth them's my two cents. I thought i would share my stumbles. I'm sure I'll do so again. I apologize for using so many words. I'm overly thorough and working on getting to the heart of it quicker. Plus they are still free. :P for now. :evil:

LQB said:
Great post Tchaka - I enjoyed it! :)

Enjoyed it too.

Here you said:

One of my problems/programs (still learning the language) is that whenever I see someone hit hard on the truth I immediately want to associate with them as thoroughly as possible, head first and arms open, and currently it seems I associate with nobody who seeks truth (something i'm working on, but old habits, long friendships and familial alignment "obligations"…die hard).

As example for me, with these programs in play too, generally communication is most often with people via email (sharing information). There sometimes comes a point when what is deemed a collinear exchange of objective matters; without a network to assess which can be tricky, can nevertheless become clues that slowly over time trickle in by means of their identifications on issues or subject matters. These can sometimes drift from what was originally presented in themselves. If responded too, sometimes the exchange produces something so contradictory to what was thought of over time that your left scratching you head about this person. The exchange might even die down, yet things still trickle in that confirm the original clues. Even at this, there could be personal reasons; buffers, programs and such that are not permanent and over time they may see this or they may not. Sometimes it can go the other way too, as a person challenges themselves with learning something contradictory to what they originally thought about themselves and their worldview; hence the mirror and network here as help.

Think Laura once discussed (not exact words) “there is a program for everyone.” And truth, or what one thinks that is, can be extremely intoxicating. This is what is seen in the NA movement, whereby from what has been observed, even in self, if one looks, can create conditions where one works themselves up into a frenzy, jumping on the latest ‘bandwagon’ or 'teaching' when a particular program bell is rung and the words sound so sweet. Left alone, unobserved as opposed to being questioned by others or asking others, can certainly lock one in to this sweetness and it can be hard to see let alone shake off.

Think AI catches this well here, not of another, but of the self;

[quote author=Approaching Infinity]

Personally, I'm never so sure when I 'engage' with a person. There are usually all kinds of hidden motivations and programs directing my behavior, and they can be darn tricky to see.

[/quote]

Muxel said:
There was never any doubt in my mind that GregoryJ wasn't ready to give up his New Age cake. We can deconstruct his posts again and again, but he likely will not change overnight.

Afaik, NO ONE can change overnight. Besides, I don't know about you Muxel, but I'm not here to "change" anyone. I am here to learn from other people's posts, to share my findings with others, to enrich and improve myself so I can more efficiently help others in need.
I read somewhere that wanting to change others comes from a selfish desire to subordinate the environment to one's personal interests. Changing ONESELF, now that's hard, but as the phrase goes: "where there's a will there's a way". ;)

Denis said:
Afaik, NO ONE can change overnight. Besides, I don't know about you Muxel, but I'm not here to "change" anyone. I am here to learn from other people's posts, to share my findings with others, to enrich and improve myself so I can more efficiently help others in need.
I read somewhere that wanting to change others comes from a selfish desire to subordinate the environment to one's personal interests. Changing ONESELF, now that's hard, but as the phrase goes: "where there's a will there's a way". ;)

Yes indeedy. We don't want to change Gregory James any reasons of "subordination" here. However, he is the one who sought the association, rather assertively I should add. So, we are certainly fortunate to have learned that his claims to be a purveyor of "truth" and "on the same page" are not actually true and thus we can choose to NOT associate with him nor promote and recommend his work, nor send him students which does seem to be what it was about anyway.

It would have been nice, of course, if he had turned out to be the real thing.

Laura said:
Denis said:

Yes indeedy. We don't want to change Gregory James any reasons of "subordination" here. However, he is the one who sought the association, rather assertively I should add. So, we are certainly fortunate to have learned that his claims to be a purveyor of "truth" and "on the same page" are not actually true and thus we can choose to NOT associate with him nor promote and recommend his work, nor send him students which does seem to be what it was about anyway.

I see. Well, I should make clear here & now that I don't think this network is trying to subordinate anyone- if that WAS the case, I'd be outta here in a second, "running" as fast as I can. :lol:
As far as Gregory's claims are concerned, everyone's real intentions and character are revealed over time and he's no exception from the rule.
Maybe you're right in your assessment of Gregory James, but eventually- time will tell...

Laura said:
However, he is the one who sought the association, rather assertively I should add. So, we are certainly fortunate to have learned that his claims to be a purveyor of "truth" and "on the same page" are not actually true and thus we can choose to NOT associate with him nor promote and recommend his work, nor send him students which does seem to be what it was about anyway.

Very true, GJ did indeed seek out the association VERY assertively. In his "2012" SOTT focus article he wrote at the end:

I would like to thank all who contributed to this essay, knowingly or unknowingly - and to those whose commitment to Truth and Knowledge in Service to others is of paramount importance within their Field of Awareness.

Most-especially, I thank:

Laura Knight-Jadczyk - Cassiopaea.org, Red Pill Press, Sott.net-by author
Joe Quinn - JoeQuinn.net, Sott.net-by author, The SOTT Report
Bernhard Guenther - Piercing the Veil of Reality, Sott.net-by author
Bernhard Guenther & Humberto Braga - Time of Transition
Richard Dolan - Keyhole Publishing
Allan Branson, Brandon Smith, Niall Bradley & Henry See - Sott.net-by author
Harrison Koehli - Ponerology.com, Sott.net-by author, The C's Hit-List Series
Timothy C. Trepanier - The Rabbit Hole, Grande Prairie, Sott.net-by author
Andrés Perezalonso - Dot Connector Magazine, Sott.net-by author
Arkadiusz Jadczyk - Arkadiusz-Jadczyk.org, Sott.net-by author
Jan Irvin - Gnostic Media

Apparently he is NOT fully "committed to Truth and Knowledge in Service to others". I'm not saying it is "wrong" to thank people but there was definitely a very assertive push from his side to be associated with this network. He also kept asking me repeatedly to write an article for his blog. I never did, however, he took the liberty to compile bits and pieces of my FB posts and from other articles I wrote and he published it on his blog under my name. Yes, he did ask me if he could do it (after he already wrote it) and I said, sure why not, but I did find it odd how pushy he was about it. _http://supremeboundlessway.com/2012/06/26/why-voting-doest-solve-anything-what-you-can-do/

He also repeatedly wrote to me about his contact and interactions with Laura and Perceval and there was definitely as sense of "pride" in it that he was in contact with them. It also showed in his introduction to the forum: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,28481.0.html
I am a fan of Laura's work and have been in touch with her directly several times over the past 18 months, as I have written articles for SOTT.

However, he did correct himself, stating:
I'd like to correct myself, because I know how important accurately conveying truth is. In my initial post I noted that I have been in contact with Laura for the past 18 months. I got my wires crossed on that, it seems (lost track of the time frame in my head... oops). Looking at some previous correspondences, it appears like it's been a little under a year, actually. It's a stupid detail that probably doesn't matter much to anyone here, but I like to correct myself when I see I've been wrong about something. I invite everyone to correct me as well.

Apparently he is NOT open to "corrections" about himself. ;)

Laura said:
... So, we are certainly fortunate to have learned that his claims to be a purveyor of "truth" and "on the same page" are not actually true and thus we can choose to NOT associate with him nor promote and recommend his work, nor send him students which does seem to be what it was about anyway.

That's a very difficult part of the Work on oneself, when one is making a living with non aligned actions with the Work.
Change is the only option then, which may bring desperation: "how am I going to live if..."
So it's usually easier to find some kind of compromise, thinking you are OK, able to manage whatever it is, because you understand so much... By the way getting trapped into buffers you don't notice, appearing may be as good intentions.
The need for watchfulness and courage, this is one lesson I got from this thread so far.
FWIW

This thread has been a fascinating study for me, a real time example of how such a seemingly well-intentioned person can hide much narcissism beneath the surface and completely choose not to see it. By trying to deflect attacks, defend himself, and manage impressions, he actually contributed to his own unraveling and 'stripping to the bone', due to being totally unable to see what was coming out in his posts. This really shows the true value of this forum, and in our work.

The drive to try to run before you can walk is very strong, out of a desire to be special and spiritual, but by skipping the most basic lessons you only contribute to your own demise. How can one possibly hope to advance on a spiritual STO path without first being a good, sincere person free of lies? False crystalisation is the inevitable result, as demonstrated here.

Back
Top Bottom