Gulags in China?

A great thread that brought to light a lot of my internal Western biases towards China. On the whole, I was very much in agreement with Woodsman and others at the beginning of the thread. And still think there are valid concerns as to where this is all headed. But having gone through all the articles and videos posted, especially thanks to @seek10 for posting the link to the documentary on the recent history of China which I found fascinating and helped to understand the recent history with the Communist Party and how they have operated since the days of Chiang and Mao. I don't see them as this bastion of hope for the future, although they do offer that counter-balance to keep the West in check, but they are flawed in a number of ways just like in the West.

I've had pretty much the same experience, an opening of my awareness. Always been puzzled by my prejudice, having grown up in Canada surrounded with only white folks. Maybe some genetic component, some of my experiences living in San Francisco and here in the lower mainland, but also perhaps the seeping in of propaganda that I was not aware of. Thank you everyone for a very eye-opening thread!

Could the area in which the Uighur live be characterized as Central Asia? It makes me think of Session 10 February 2018
A: That should be obvious by now. The objective, as we have said, was/is to eliminate true Semites from the gene pool.

Q: (L) Well... The question I have - and I'm not sure that I ever really asked it in such a direct way, or if it was ever really answered - is: What is a Semite?

A: Central Asian genetic type formed from two main lines.

Q: (Chu) Which lines?

A: Kantekkian and Homo Sapiens.

Q: (Artemis) Didn't they say that Kantekkians were the ones most filled with light and superpowered energies inside them?

A: Yes

Q: (Artemis) So they want to get rid of superpowered energy?

A: Yes
Central Asia, would that include Kazakhstan and surrounding areas? I came to think of this, as I was reading an interview with an ethnic Kazakh, Sayragul Sauytbay that lived in Western China. The topic of the article is her experience of the difficult lives of Uighurs and Kazakh people in Western China who do not fit in with the present industrial and economic developments. On the surface they are Muslims and have a different culture than the dominant Han Chinese?

Below is a translation of the article from a Danish news site. I have corrected and edited a machine translation to make it more readable while for pictures and clips I have linked to them. In the text there were interspersed quotes, but as they were repetitions, I left them out.

I compared her story in the article below to one that appeared in CNN Former Xinjiang teacher claims brainwashing and abuse inside mass detention centers in March of 2019 when Sayragul Sauytb was in Kazakhstan. The CNN article is more on the education aspect and how that was enforced. In the Danish article she is telling about her own experiences and feelings, and there are things that would be to much for a CNN article, probably. Now she has been given asylum in Sweden, I don't know if that is a really happy outcome, but perhaps the best at the moment.

Apart from the area in which the story takes place, the love of a mother for her children motivates her creativity to find a way out. That part is actually encouraging. Another way of reading the story is as templates for more overt social control in general. The surveillance she describes is just one step ahead of what most of us are used to, or if it is as comprehensive, then it is more hidden. One could also read it as a suggestion of how to deal with radical Islam, but would one go that far? Regarding the abuses she claims, they can not be verified directly, some of it is shocking, some may be exaggerated. In the CNN article she is less explicit. She claims one incidence caused a weight loss of eight kg, perhaps she could not hide the impact because she had a conscience.
Headmaster's job interview ended up in a nail chair in Chinese prison camp.
27. dec 2019, 06:39Peter Mills - interview: Amalie Hovøre
In China, about a million people are currently in reform camps. TV 2 has met one of the few prisoners who have managed to escape.

The interview hadn't even started yet, when the candidate had a black bag pulled over her head.

She had never applied for the job, and in fact, the woman inside the bag had no idea that she was about to be headhunted.

It had begun with a phone call where a man had ordered the 41-year-old school inspector to meet up at a specific address, send a message to a foreign phone number and then wait.

She did not dare to be disobedient.

The wait was long.

It was almost morning, when four armed men came in, pulled the bag over her head and led the woman into a car.

After a long drive in silence, she was supposed to get a job offer she couldn't say no to.

Disappeared
The woman in the car is called Sayragul Sauytbay, and in her new job, forced confessions, constant monitoring and torn off fingernails were a part of everyday life.

A daily life that is still taking place - right now - in China, where, according to UN figures, around a million people are sitting in so-called 'Re-education camps'.

The pictures below are of prisoners who have just arrived by train to one of the camps. They were published by activists in september 2019.
[This is a clip from the video Woodsman posted]
Sayragul Sauytbay came to see the interior of the camps in 2017, and she is one of the few people in the West who themselves have experienced how the Chinese camp system works, and who dares to tell about it.

TV 2 has met her in Sweden, where she has been granted asylum.

Sayragul Sauytbay is an ethnic Kazakh, and belongs to the Muslim minority in the area. Before she barely got out of China, she lived in Xinjiang province, near the border with Kazakhstan.

It is today one of the world's most closed areas, where residents are being subjected to mass surveillance, and which the Chinese are accused of committing crimes against humanity.

What crimes like this look like, Sayragul Sauytbay knows quite a bit about.
For several years she experienced, how friends and family members suddenly disappeared during the night, and a November day in 2017, she then sat there in a car herself with a black bag over her head.

Was she now also herself missing?

In fact, it was the fear of disappearing that had led her to show up at the address where the armed men had put the bag over her head.

- I thought there's no other way. I can't say no, if I say no, I'll probably disappear. Then my family can't find me, tells Sayragul Sauytbay.

The camp
After the drive, she was taken out of the car, into a building, and when the bag was pulled off, she was sitting in a small room.

- This is the Education Center, the scared woman was informed.
[Picture: "Fence around one of the re-eduction camps. The picture is from Dabancheng. Photo: Thomas Peter / Ritzau Scanpix"]
She had no idea she had just arrived at a re-education camp.

What such a camp was really like, she didn't know either.

Sayragul Sauytbay had only heard about them from the Chinese media, who said that the camps was created to educate people, and she associated them with something peaceful.

You can see a clip from one of the Chinese films about the camps below here.
- We didn't know it was such a scary place, Sayragul Sauytbay says.

It turned out she hadn't ended up in the camp as an ordinary prisoner.

While she was in the little closed room, the candidate was presented with the contract of employment.

Prohibited thoughts
The job was as a language teacher in one of the camps where inmates had to learn Chinese. Many Uighurs don't speak the language, but Sayragul Sauytbay does.

- It was a multi-page document. It said something about the camp rules that I should follow. And then there was a contract of employment. I had to work as a teacher, she explains

She did not dare to do anything else but sign.

- I had no choice, if you refuse or ask questions, you lose your life, says Sayragul Sauytbay.

Exactly why she was headhunted for the new job, Sayragul Sauytbay doesn't know, but she has a hunch.

She may have thought forbidden thoughts.

Sayragul Sauytbay has grown up in a muslim family in Zhaosu County, near the border to the current Kazakhstan.

Here lived Sayragul Sauytbay
[This one is different than that which appears in the article, and instead of one there are two]
1578236015201.png
1578230414064.png
When she was a child, the Muslims in the area didn't risk being picked up by the police at night.

At that time, China was still an underdeveloped country, Xinjiang province was situated in the outskirts of China, and the ethnic Chinese were not particularly interested in the area.

But that was to change.

The underground is so rich in oil that in the old days it could be picked up from cracks in the ground with buckets.
[Picture: "Tarim oil field in the Xinjian province in 2005. Photo: China Newsphoto/Scanpix Denmark"]
For many years the remoteness of the area meant that oil was allowed to remain in the soil, but when China's economy started to grow in the 1990s, everything was going to change.

At that time, Sayragul Sauytbay was studying medicine. She got a job at a hospital, but then she changed her career and started teaching. The Chinese state trusted her, and she came to lead the running of five preschool classes.

There were more children in the province because the number of settlers was growing exponentially. Millions of ethnic Han Chinese came to work in the oil industry, and suddenly two people with different language, culture and religion had to live side by side.

The Han Chinese is the largest ethnic group in China, and the meeting between the two cultures was not going well.
[Picture of "A Han Chinese with a club during the riots in 2009. Photo Peter Parks /Scanpix Denmark"]
In 2009, there were violent riots in the province, where Uighurs and Hankins were fighting.

In a matter of days, according to the Chinese authorities, 197 people were killed before the Chinese military put a damper on the situation.

The ethnic unrest led many of the locals to seek community in islam, and like so many other places in the world began, the Chinese state to fear Islamic terrorism.

There were several bloody attacks and riots, including in 2014, when armed men drove two cars through a marketplace throwing explosives in the city of Urumqi.

China's response to Islamic terrorism was, among other things, a ban on headscarves and long beards.
[Text below the picture:] "The Xinjiang province has been hit by terror several times. In 2014, 31 lost their lives, while over 90 were injured during such an attack. According to the Chinese, it was Islamic terrorism. PHOTO: Str / Scanpix Denmark"

As tensions between Han Chinese and Uighurs grew, Sayragul Sauytbay was married. She had two children, and as time passed, the little family began to dream of freer frames in neighbouring Kazakhstan.

Freer frameworks, however, were not something the Chinese state liked.

The net is tightening
In 2014, the authorities seized Sayragul Sauytbay's passport as part of an increased control of Public Employees.

The majority of the province's remaining Muslim population got their passports revoked in 2016, but right before that, Sayragul Sauytbay's husband and children succeeded in obtaining an exit visa to Kazakhstan.

She herself was waiting for a visa, while the control of the authorities was tightening up more and more.

The authorities put cameras up all over the cities, and suddenly having all the Uighurs hand over dna samples, sound samples and biometric data, so that their whereabouts could be traced - according to Human Rights Watch.

Even going out the back door of your home could result in a police interrogation.

Officially, it was all an attempt to "remove the ideas and ideology that support terrorism", even in the propaganda films "The long battle 1-3".

This involved, among other things, the removal of mosques of Muslims and the construction of parking spaces in their cemeteries.
[Pictures 1 2 ]
In January 2017, the authorities started arresting Uighurs with family abroad.

Also Sayragul Sauytbay.

She was taken to an interrogation, where the police would know exactly where her husband and children were gone, and why they had traveled to Kazakhstan. When the interrogation was over, she was ordered to tell her husband to come home and Sayragul Sauytbay was forbidden to talk about the interrogation.

But the family did not return to China, so Sayragul Sauytbay had to go through several interrogations, and in november of 2017, she was then told to meet up at the address from which she was abducted by the four armed men.

[Picture 1, 2]
When she had signed her employment contract, she received a uniform and was taken to her new home: a tiny bedroom with concrete bed and a thin plastic mattress.

She didn't know she should be happy.

Because this was one of the good cells.

Sayragul Sauytbay found out later, that the ordinary prisoners in the camp lived within cells of 16 square meters with a small plastic bucket in the corner as a toilet.

But they weren't single cells like hers, here lived about 15 prisoners in each cell, and the rules were strict.
[Picture of place where camp is located: 2011 2019]
All prisoners were given two minutes each to go to the bathroom daily, and the plastic bucket was only emptied once a day.

If it was full, you'd have to squeeze your legs till the next day.

The prisoners were constantly chained to their hands and feet, even when they were asleep, and they were under constant surveillance.

- There were four cameras in the corners and in the middle of the ceiling, that could follow you. We were only allowed to sleep on the right side if you did not, you were brought to punishment. They could check 24 hours a day, says Sayragul Sauytbay.

The cell was even the prison sanctuary.

What the movies didn't tell you.
When they were not locked up, were the prisoners, among other things, taught in Chinese, culture, law and political ideology by Sayragul Sauytbay, but the lessons reminded most about the nursery classes, she was used to.

Here, the authorities interfered in even the slightest of details.

- I had to teach exactly as it said on the paper, and in the hours there were two armed police officers in the room says Sayragul Sauytbay.

The school day often ended with singing lessons, where prisoners had to learn the Communist songs of the regime.

Music teaching is also presented in this way in the regime's films about the camps.:
[Link to video]

The prisoners' food was rice soup except on Fridays when pork was served, if they were lucky.

Sayragul Sauytbay ate it.

The unlucky prisoners didn't get pork - they ended up in "the black room."

- It was an area where we weren't supposed to come. There were no cameras. It was a torture area, says Sayragul Sauytbay.

The first time she saw someone going in there was in the middle of one of her classes.

- The police came and took some people away. The room wasn't far from where we lived, and for 24 hours we could hear screams and people asking for help. Strange noises came from in there, and it was a nightmare for us, say Sayragul Sauytbay.

Not everyone came back from there.

- Some disappeared, but some came back with bad injuries, some with no nails and some with bruises and red marks, telling Sayragul Sauytbay.

The victims were not allowed to talk about what had happened when they came back.

The black room
But Sayragul Sauytbay soon found out herself about what was going on inside the "black room".

She worked also as an interpreter, and an attempt to help an elderly woman in the camp went wrong.

The 84-year-old woman was arrested for having used a telephone, and Sayragul Sauytbay was asked to translate.

- She said, "I'm 84 years old and Nomad. I'm Kasakh, I live from mountain to mountain, and I've never used a phone." I was just trying to translate what she said and tell them she was innocent. That's why they took me to the black room to torture me, say Sayragul Sauytbay.

First she was electrocuted.

- They took me in and beat me with electric batons. Seeing the torture tools was so scary. There were' black chairs', they call themselves' Tiger chairs', and they're running power through them. There were chairs with nails in the side, but what scared me most was torture tools that looked like needle spikes, thin and pointy, hung up in a row.

For the next two days, there was no food or water.

When she came out for a ride in the nail chair, she felt helpless.

- Then I realized we were just some kind of living corpse, she says.

[Video link]
But it's not the torture chamber she remembers today as the worst experience.

- One day, they took more than 100 of us to an open spot. They chose the youngest girl, she was about 20 years old, says Sayragul Sauytbay.

The girl was pulled out in front of the others.

- Then she stood there before us, and even though she had really done nothing wrong, she confessed all her sins, errors and crimes crying. They forced her to say it with her own mouth, says Sayragul Sauytbay.

Then came the punishment.

In front of all of us, the Chinese jailers took turns to rape her one by one. We were powerless, no man or woman could say anything to stop them. It is something I cannot forget how we were powerless victims, she says.

[Five second video clip that show the facial expression of Sayragul Sauytbay.]

If you showed emotions on an occasion like this, you risked being taken for punishment.

Sayragul Sauytbay had to suppress her emotions, and she suffered from insomnia in the camp. She says she lost eight kilos after the gang rape incident.

Back to reality
According to Sayragul Sauytbay, the prisoners in her camp were only behind the fence because of their ethnic roots.

- What we did wrong was we weren't Hann Chinese. To be Uighur or Kasakh, that is wrong, she says.

Just listening to the region's folk music could be enough to end up in a camp, says Sayragul Sauytbay.

She's certain that she ended up there herself because her family had moved to Kazakhstan.

But one day in March 2018, it was over.

The police came and took her.

[Picture: "A tower for the guards at a re-eduction camp in Hatan. Photo Greg Baker /Ritzau Scanpix."]

After a drive with a bag over her head, she found herself again in front of her home.

- They took the contract I signed at the beginning and said, "Look, anything you tell, you'll be punished for it. You can't say anything. As of tomorrow, you can go back to work, and you can say you've been to an educational conference," says Sayragul Sauytbay.

The next morning, she was back at work. No one asked where she'd been, and she tells herself she didn't say anything about the camp.

And yet the authorities weren't done with her.

After just a few days of freedom, her job was given to someone else, and Sayragul Sauytbay was taken back to interrogation.

- They said I had two faces and had been dishonest. I had to get back to camp. Not as a teacher, but as a prisoner for one or three years, she says.

Escape through the neighbor's garden
This time, however, Sayragul Sauytbay was given a few days to hand over the tasks to her successor. While it was going on, she could live at home under the supervision of the Chinese authorities.

- I figured if I go back in there as a prisoner, I'm not getting out alive. It was already two and a half years ago, I had seen my children, and then one of them just a baby, so I thought that I had to find a way to give my child a hug, say Sayragul Sauytbay.

She decided to cheat the Chinese surveillance.
[Picture link: "There is massive video surveillance in the Xinjiang province - here it is outside the mosque in the city of Urumqi. Photo: Peter Parks / Scanpix Denmark"}

I created a scene, says Sayragul Sauytbay,

The windows of her home were wide open, so no one could doubt she was cooking.

Then she ran away.

Out through a window and in through the neighbor's garden.

From there she took a taxi to the border to Kazakhstan, where she sneaked out of China and shortly after was reunited with his children in the neighboring country.

- It was midnight when I arrived. It was my greatest desire to cuddle them again just once in my life, and I did say Sayragul Sauytbay.

[Picture: "Sayragul Sauytbay whent she waited for asylum in Kasakhstan. Photo: Ruslan Pryanikov /Scanpic Denmark"]

She had fled without passports, money and personal papers, and meeting with the authorities of Kazakhstan sent her nine months in jail, before Sweden offered her asylum.

- I don't know about my own future, but my kids are safe here, she says.

According to the Chinese Embassy in Sweden, we shouldn't believe her story. The Chinese say Sayragul Sauytbay has never worked in a re-education camp and has never been detained until she left China illegally. On the other hand, she's been charged with a corruption case.

- They try in different ways to silence me. Now that they've found out they can't stop me, they'll say I'm lying. She says that's the Chinese way to do it.

Her relatives still live in the Xinjiang province, and she has heard that her father and sister have been put in the camps.

Yet she will not be forced to remain silent.

- I know it. I saw it, and it's happening to us. I can do something for them. I felt powerless, but now I can talk. Why shouldn't I do that, she says.

She knows the Chinese won't offer her a new job if she ever comes back.

- I think they're gonna cut me up, she says.

See the mini-documentary ' Caught in China's secret camps-torture or education?'on TV 2 PLAY.

It's not self-evident to me, I don't see China going around acting like the Americans, but I'm definitely willing to change that if the data shows otherwise. They may have been imperialistic in the past, but the current Xi regime seems to be very isolationist although they are getting better working with others like Russia, probably courtesy of Putin's diplomatic efforts to woo Xi out of Beijing.
China like the rest of the world changes every day. Every year new people enter the working force and others leave. If the active time in the workforce is 50 years then there is a 2 % change per year, 1 in 50 being replaced. After WW2 the Americans when they came to Europe were often easily recognised for being loud and self-confident. Considering that they were from a rich country and had won a war, that was understandable. Now China is becoming rich. Rich Chinese can go abroad and own it in a way similar to what accomplished self-confident Americans could in Europe after WW2. Not so long ago I watched a documentary from Deutsche Welle DW and while the above personality feature may not be noticeable in North America what about other areas of the world like South East Asia?

The word Gulag
The Gulag (/ˈɡuːlɑːɡ/, UK also /-læɡ/; Russian: ГУЛаг, romanized: GULag, [ɡʊˈlak] (About this soundlisten), acronym of Main Administration of Camps)[a] was the government agency in charge of the Soviet forced-labour camp-system that was set up under Vladimir Lenin[10] and reached its peak during Joseph Stalin's rule from the 1930s to the early 1950s. English-language speakers also use the word gulag to refer to any forced-labour camp in the Soviet Union, including camps which existed in post-Stalin times.[11][12] The camps housed a wide range of convicts, from petty criminals to political prisoners. Large numbers were convicted by simplified procedures, such as by NKVD troikas or by other instruments of extrajudicial punishment. The Gulag is recognised by many as a major instrument of political repression in the Soviet Union.
Of course there can be no Gulags in China - in the literal sense - which should satisfy those who claim they don't exist.

In this post there was a story about a woman from Western China who had fled to Kazakhstan. She claimed she had been having a hard time in a re-education facility. Assuming there are locations that are more rough than others, what could help create the effect? It could be corruption, psychological deviancy among some people in power and overall an ideology that could be interpreted as open to a totalitarian interpretation. Below I will consider if any of these facilitating conditions might exist in China and finally make some historical parallels with situations in European history.

Is their corruption in China? Corruption can exist in various forms but a common feature is that something takes place that is not supposed to take place or that contradicts the official policy. One can think of corruption with a view to economic gain or unlawful economic exploitation. Another form could be abuse of power for the sake of individual satisfaction. Perhaps the aspect many other have brought up, help others in case they have an accident, are robbed or beaten up is not as common as one could hope.

Psychological deviancy could be psychopathy and in the following excerpt there are some estimates for various countries:
(Belibaste) We wanted to know the percentage of psychopaths geographically speaking, like in the US, Israel, UK.

(L) Alright, let's take them one at a time.

(Belibaste) USA?

A: 23 percent.

Q: (Belibaste) United Kingdom?

A: 14 percent.

Q: (L) That's because they all went to America. (laughter)

(Ailén) Israel?

A: 42 percent.

Q: (Belibaste) France?

A: 10 percent.

Q: (Burma Jones) Russia?

A: 17

Q: (Belibaste) What about some poor country like Ethiopia?

A: 3

Q: (Joe) That's 75 million people in the US.

(Burma Jones) That's a lot of psychopaths.

(Ottershrew) What's the country that's the lowest?

A: Samoa

Q: (Belibaste) What's the percentage in Samoa?

A: 0.6

Q: (Belibaste) In Samoa there's quite a strong ethnical specificity.

(L) I don't know anything about Samoa.

(Joe) I think they're the same as the Maori.

(PoB) Just in case, is there any country with a bigger percentage than Israel?

A: Not at present

Q: (Burma Jones) So Israel is the worst at present.

(Belibaste) In the past, was there a country with a higher percentage?

A: Low Countries.

Q: (Andromeda) What about Spain?

A: 2.6

Q: (Ailén) China?

A: 0.9

Q: (Ailén) Well, there are so many people in China...

(Joe) When they said the low countries, did they all leave the low countries and go to England?

A: USA and South Africa

Q: (Ailén) What about Holland?

(L) That's the low countries.

(Ailén) But that was in the past...

(L) Oh, you mean at present?

A: Still high

Q: (L) Are you going to give us a number on that?

A: 13
(Perceval) What's the percentage of clinical psychopaths in the whole world?

A: 6.5

Q: (Perceval) How many of those are female?

A: 1.7

Q: (Ark) But the females are more dangerous.

A: Yes.

Q: (L) So, now wait a minute, was that 1.7 of the 6.5?

A: No.

Q: (L) So, that's 1.7 IN the 6.5?

A: Yes.

Q: (Belibaste) I wanted to ask about this psychopathic thing in the lowlands. I wanted to know in what year that the lowlands got the higher percentage of psychopathy, and what was this percentage?

A: 18 century 9 percent

Q: (L) I would say 9% would be really high in the 18th century.
Overall the number is low in China, definitely, but as mentioned there are many people. The above transcripts were from 2010 and the number given was 0.9% If we make some rough estimates and say there are 1.5 billion people in China then 1 % will be 15 million people. If we then add that for psychopaths some professions are more attractive than others, and that they are attracted to positions where they can exercise power, then it is a fair estimate that within the ranks of the people who would be administering a re-education camp the number would not be less than 1%. If there are many re-education establishments then some may have an organization that is strongly influenced by pathological types. But then if there are 23 % of psychopaths in the US, 17 % in Russia, then a few psychopaths would not be enough one should think.

Regarding the signs of an ideology that is open to a totalitarian interpretation, I looked at
Constitution of Chinese Communist Party, Constitution of Communist Party of China and found that it is broad and open to the context of the situation, but also that the organization and its goal may make it hard to always insure that no toes are stepped on. The CCP programme is a lengthy read. Here are some paragraphs from the introduction:
The Communist Party of China is the vanguard both of the Chinese working class and of the Chinese people and the Chinese nation. It is the core of leadership for the cause of socialism with Chinese characteristics and represents the development trend of China's advanced productive forces, the orientation of China's advanced culture and the fundamental interests of the overwhelming majority of the Chinese people. The realization of communism is the highest ideal and ultimate goal of the Party.

The Communist Party of China takes Marxism-Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought, Deng Xiaoping Theory, the important thought of Three Represents and the Scientific Outlook on Development as its guide to action.

Marxism-Leninism brings to light the laws governing the development of the history of human society. Its basic tenets are correct and have tremendous vitality. The highest ideal of communism pursued by the Chinese Communists can be realized only when the socialist society is fully developed and highly advanced. The development and improvement of the socialist system is a long historical process. So long as the Chinese Communists uphold the basic tenets of Marxism-Leninism and follow the road suited to China's specific conditions and chosen by the Chinese people of their own accord, the socialist cause in China will be crowned with final victory.

The Chinese Communists, with Comrade Mao Zedong as their chief representative, created Mao Zedong Thought by integrating the basic tenets of Marxism-Leninism with the concrete practice of the Chinese revolution. Mao Zedong Thought is Marxism-Leninism applied and developed in China; it consists of a body of theoretical principles concerning the revolution and construction in China and a summary of experience therein, both of which have been proved correct by practice; and it represents the crystallized, collective wisdom of the Communist Party of China. Under the guidance of Mao Zedong Thought, the Communist Party of China led the people of all ethnic groups in the country in their prolonged revolutionary struggle against imperialism, feudalism and bureaucrat-capitalism, winning victory in the new-democratic revolution and founding the People's Republic of China, a people's democratic dictatorship. After the founding of the People's Republic, it led them in carrying out socialist transformation successfully, completing the transition from New Democracy to socialism, establishing the basic system of socialism and developing socialism economically, politically and culturally.

After the Third Plenary Session of the Eleventh Party Central Committee, the Chinese Communists, with Comrade Deng Xiaoping as their chief representative, analyzed their experience, both positive and negative, gained since the founding of the People's Republic, emancipated their minds, sought truth from facts, shifted the focus of the work of the whole Party onto economic development and carried out reform and opening to the outside world, ushering in a new era of development in the cause of socialism, gradually formulating the line, principles and policies concerning the building of socialism with Chinese characteristics and expounding the basic questions concerning the building, consolidation and development of socialism in China, and thus creating Deng Xiaoping Theory. Deng Xiaoping Theory is the outcome of the integration of the basic tenets of Marxism-Leninism with the practice of contemporary China and the features of the times, a continuation and development of Mao Zedong Thought under new historical conditions; it represents a new stage of development of Marxism in China, it is Marxism of contemporary China and it is the crystallized, collective wisdom of the Communist Party of China. It is guiding the socialist modernization of China from victory to victory.

After the Fourth Plenary Session of the Thirteenth Party Central Committee and in the practice of building socialism with Chinese characteristics, the Chinese Communists, with Comrade Jiang Zemin as their chief representative, acquired a deeper understanding of what socialism is, how to build it and what kind of party to build and how to build it, accumulated new valuable experience in running the Party and state and formed the important thought of Three Represents. The important thought of Three Represents is a continuation and development of Marxism-Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought and Deng Xiaoping Theory; it reflects new requirements for the work of the Party and state arising from the developments and changes in China and other parts of the world today; it serves as a powerful theoretical weapon for strengthening and improving Party building and for promoting self-improvement and development of socialism in China; and it is the crystallized, collective wisdom of the Communist Party of China. It is a guiding ideology that the Party must uphold for a long time to come. Persistent implementation of the Three Represents is the foundation for building the Party, the cornerstone for its governance and the source of its strength.
Re-education camps could be interpreted as a feature of "perstent implementation".Xinjiang leaks: Reporting on China's detention camps | The Listening Post (Lead) is a report from Al Jazeera English and they write:
Now, the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists and the New York Times say they have troves of classified documents to work with - reportedly leaked from within China's Communist Party. Both organisations say the documents prove the camps are not about "re-educating extremists" or fighting violence, as Beijing would have the world believe - but to indiscriminately imprison and brainwash Xinjiang's Muslim population.
The NYT and Human Right Watch were mentioned, but the bottom line was that a document was leaked about the re-education efforts was leaked, which the Chinese ambassador to the UK wisely said did not exist and was made up, which then the Chinese Government after all admitted did exist, but claimed was misunderstood by negative forces. Might this document they mention be the same that was mentioned by Palinurus Gulags in China?
In the Communist party programme there is also a number of points that might justify a strong re-education programme for reluctant sections of China, because China is only at the primary stage of socialism and will remain so for a long time. Here is what the party document says:
China is in the primary stage of socialism and will remain so for a long time to come. This is a historical stage which cannot be skipped in socialist modernization in China which is backward economically and culturally. It will last for over a hundred years. In socialist construction the Party must proceed from China's specific conditions and take the path of socialism with Chinese characteristics. At the present stage, the principal contradiction in Chinese society is one between the ever-growing material and cultural needs of the people and the low level of production. Owing to both domestic circumstances and foreign influences, class struggle will continue to exist within a certain scope for a long time and may possibly grow acute under certain conditions, but it is no longer the principal contradiction. In building socialism, the basic task is to further release and develop the productive forces and achieve socialist modernization step by step by carrying out reform in those aspects and links of the production relations and the superstructure that do not conform to the development of the productive forces. The Party must uphold and improve the basic economic system, with public ownership playing a dominant role and different economic sectors developing side by side, as well as the system of distribution under which distribution according to work is dominant and a variety of modes of distribution coexist, encourage some areas and some people to become rich first, gradually eliminate poverty, achieve common prosperity, continuously meet the people's ever-growing material and cultural needs on the basis of the growth of production and social wealth and promote people's all-around development. Development is the Party's top priority in governing and rejuvenating the country. The general starting point and criterion for judging all the Party's work should be how it benefits development of the productive forces in China's socialist society, adds to the overall strength of socialist China and improves the people's living standards. The Party must respect work, knowledge, talent and creation and ensure that development is for the people, by the people and with the people sharing in its fruits. The beginning of the new century marks China's entry into the new stage of development of building a moderately prosperous society in all respects and accelerating socialist modernization. The Party must promote all-around economic, political, cultural, social, and ecological progress in accordance with the overall plan for the cause of socialism with Chinese characteristics. The strategic objectives of economic and social development at this new stage in the new century are to consolidate and develop the relatively comfortable life initially attained, bring China into a moderately prosperous society of a higher level to the benefit of well over one billion people by the time of the Party's centenary and bring the per capita GDP up to the level of moderately developed countries and realize modernization in the main by the time of the centenary of the People's Republic of China.

The basic line of the Communist Party of China in the primary stage of socialism is to lead the people of all ethnic groups in a concerted, self-reliant and pioneering effort to turn China into a prosperous, strong, democratic, culturally advanced and harmonious modern socialist country by making economic development the central task while upholding the Four Cardinal Principles and the reform and opening up policy.

In leading the cause of socialism, the Communist Party of China must persist in taking economic development as the central task, making all other work subordinate to and serve this central task. The Party must lose no time in speeding up development, implement the strategy of rejuvenating the country through science and education, the strategy of strengthening the nation with trained personnel and the strategy of sustainable development, and give full play to the role of science and technology as the primary productive force. The Party must take advantage of the advancement of science and technology to improve the quality of workers and promote sound and rapid development of the national economy.

The Four Cardinal Principles - to keep to the socialist road and to uphold the people's democratic dictatorship, leadership by the Communist Party of China, and Marxism-Leninism and Mao Zedong Thought - are the foundation on which to build the country. Throughout the course of socialist modernization the Party must adhere to the Four Cardinal Principles and combat bourgeois liberalization.
The policies of the party based in a materialist ideology with a strong focus on results could contribute along with the occasional appearance of psychopathology and corruption to cases where very much force is used to achieve the goals. Add to this recollections among some people of how results were achieved in the days of Mao Zedong and during cultural revolutions and it should not be difficult to imagine that camps with excess use of force could exist.

If there are segments of the populations that are slightly different from what is considered optimal for the achievement of the goals then this might justify an objectification of "the other" that makes abuse more easy to justify for the people who commit them. European history has very many examples, perhaps most recently in Eastern Ukraine, during WW2 in Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Russian revolution and later some events in the Soviet Union, earlier Turkish style re-education of Armenia often called a genocide, the French revolution and why forget the treatment of the Irish in past centuries by the British. Is it possible some sectors of China might be no better?

As far as opinions on China are concerned, I would say that this country's imperialist tendencies are self-evident. The current multifaceted drama is merely a natural reaction to those tendencies - expressed on the political, economic and interpersonal levels.

The most worrisome development is the increasing totalitarian slant - particularly, technological totalitarianism. It is not only worrisome for the Chinese population but also for the world at large, because it will likely become infectious and overt. No longer in the domain of conspiracy theories but a domain of an accepted fact.

I would be cautious and watchful here.

2c.
Accepted fact? As an Australian the picture for you may be different, but maybe you are referring to this report or perhaps not, as it came out after your post:
A Chinese spy defects to Australia. His shocking revelations are guaranteed to infuriate Beijing. How China conducts questionable activities around the world, including its attempts to infiltrate the Australian government.
They spend time on regurgitating the idea of Russian meddling in US election. That said the 60 minutes report is still interesting, but how much is true?

What I'm getting at is that their system - communist or whatever you call it - effectively protects people by stamping out terrorism; the Western system, by contrast, doesn't, and apparently encourages it - specifically, domestically, as a tool of authoritarian governance, and externally, as a tool of attacking governments it doesn't like.

Which is better?
When I read the story of Sayragul Sauytbay, the lady of Kazakh ethnicity I posted about in this post I thought about the paradox that she, who had fled western China after a traumatic experience in the re-education system, had been granted asylum in Sweden, a country that on the one hand has been very welcoming, but which also has paid a very high price like grenade attacks, harassment of the police, no-go zones, the burning of cars and a higher incidence of violence. Usually the calls from political parties for a different policy from the Swedish Government are called right wing and worse, but what if Sweden adopted a parallel to the ideology of the Chinese Communist Party, what would it be like then?

For a preview of the possibilities in this Reuters report from November 2018 they say there are no-go zones, but obviously not where the police feels unwelcome, just that Reuters journalist couldn't go there, and in this BBC report from 24 October 2018 one can read that alleged re-education camps can be build even in the middle of the desert. In Sweden they have much land that could be used.

And how do the Chinese manage their camps, where could the Swedes learn something apart from reading the claims on the Wiki on Xinjiang re-education camps. While I will return to some of the statements in the Wiki I tried some other sources, by translating the "china re-education camps" into Russian and Kazakh languages and then making searches and translating back if a result looked promising but also led to a few other finds. Unfortunately I don't get enough of the Kazakh language to understand the videos, but there were some, also disturbing ones including one that both showed the culture, history and examples of some of the present restrainment procedures, but is sharing that a good idea? Perhaps, but not in this post.

If anyone would like to tjek out other languages then I found that: Qazaqsha reuniting camp in Xinjiang: what happens to ethnic minorities in China China, the reeducation camps and the Kazakhs THE VILLAGE OF KAZAKHSTAN, DECEMBER 7, 2019 This is simply a text article which reports on the experience and journey of Sayragul Sauytbay. Somewhere they say:
About Most of the population of Uighurs, but it is home to Kazakhs, Uzbeks, Tajiks, Tatars and other nationalities.
The Uighur language apparently is not on the translation machines, so other than Kazakh one could

The first link to a video is Лагерь перевоспитания в Китае. Это должен знать каждый казахстанец! This is all in Russian, but In English it translates as "A re-education camp in China. Everyone should know Kazakhstan! A re-education camp in China" A short 3 minute Video report with pictures, clips, short texts across the screen in Russian on only very few voices but with ominous background music, in fact somewhat reminiscent of the music used for the monthly Sott Earth Change review. There is one claim from one former "student" Mihrigul Tursun, who mentioned cases where women had been given white tablets from which they lost consciousness and also had to drink a white liquid which affected them by giving them either no period or in some cases excessive bleeding. From another source when she saw a doctor in the US, she was told she was 90 % infertile. She claims that this was a result of the medicine she received at the school. This is possible, because the first time she gave birth she had three at once, and that is not a sign of a disposition to infertility. They reported that the Chinese ambassador to Kazakhstan had said there had been some instances outside the law. The impression of the video is that it is a waring to the population, as also people of Kazakh citizenship have been affected. The video was published by a local News Agency "Silk Road" that usually publishes completely different material, so it is a bit out of character.

Secret camps for the Kazakhs and Uighurs in China from May 2, 2019 (Секретные лагеря для казахов и уйгуров в Китае (In Russian) from DW which is Deutsche Welle, several of their reports are along the lines of multicultural Europe, human rights, gay rights, and so on which they want to impress on their Russian speaking audience. This and the next two were all published in early May of 2019 as per coincidence.

"China's Inner secret. Camps of "political re-education" through the eyes of ethnic Kazakhs" (Внутренний секрет Китая. Лагеря "политического перевоспитания" глазами этнических казахов). The Russian edition of Radio Svoboda, from March 9, 2019 They interview a number of people and the stories are not pleasant, so it would not work in Sweden I guess. One could perhaps say that the "Tibetan Cause" has faded while the Kazakh and Uighur has gained momentum as a tool for political pressurizing from the perspective of the West, but that does not mean that the claims of suffering necessarily are less than they said to be. From what I have seen outside the presentations in western media, the horrors are presented in acceptable doses to be accepted by social media.

Surviving China’s Uighur camps from May 10 2019 France 24 English
This is one of the better and more informative reports. They explain how the alleged re-education facilities have been located. About one newly constructed facility they mentions that in the classrooms there were slogans like: "Follow the directives of the President Xi Jinping on socialism with Chinese characteristics for a new Era" Translate that into Swedish and might it be: "Follow the directions of the Swedish Government to build the socialist democracy with Swedish characteristics in the new multicultural society." In the video there is an interview with Sayragul Sauytbay the former Re-education camp teacher, i have mentioned earlier. She says she taught her students to stand up and say loudly hundreds of times: "I'm Chinese I'm proud of China" which we can translate to Swedish as "I am Swedish, I'm proud of Sweden" She mentions that the students would get injections to control their minds, which is basically what Mihrigul Tursun had experienced. With regard to her lessons, she explains she had two armed police officers in the class to make sure nobody did anything wrong. She also mentions indications that there was torture taking place which they could hear while they were eating and that these were the saddest she cries she had heard in her life. Another lady that was interviewed was Gulbahar Jalilova who had been to a re-education camp. She said that while she was there she got injections, after those she had no periods, they stopped thinking about their family, their relatives about anything. She did not know where she had been born, felt that she had always lived there. They did not feel the cold, or the hunger, it was if they were just pieces of meat. One wonders if that is how the British are treating Julian Assange in the maximum security prison, where he ended up because of among other issues Sweden, which in this context sort of gives a perspective on the virtues of Sweden, but maybe also indicates that the idea of Sweden adopting Chinese re-education programs perhaps is not far fetched at all.

A tale from Gulzira Auelkhanovna /Auelkhan/Abellanosa, goes in a similar direction as some others, but the medical complications and some conditions are more explicit including skin problems, kidney problemes, lost fertility, eye problems, inflamed pancreas. She was around 40 at the time of the interviews which are in Kazakh language. You might try a translation machine. The information is contained in the next two articles in Kazakh language the machine does a rather poor job also of the headings but it leaves an idea. "Night of the hammer girls bags": Kazakhstan woman, who was in the Chinese camp, asked for assistance to compatriots
from July 12, 2019
China saw in the camp when the wife told about the Kazakh depositors' interests were protected to the maximum from January and February 2019 (That heading is a bit hard, but what the text translation is sufficient to find her her health complaints.

The following is an article about people disappearing or is it just cases of Chinese Missing 411 China 'disappeared' several high-profile people in 2018 and some of them are still missing By Tracey Shelton and Bang Xiao Updated 5 Jun 2019, 11:41pm

The Chinese have responded to the allegations and a summary is given in Xinjiang re-education camps - Wikipedia and here Sweden may hear what might well happen to it if it is unable to act. It will postphone the tragedy until later, at least if we ask the Chinese Government for some advise.
The Chinese government denied the existence of re-education camps in Xinjiang[citation needed], until October 2018, when it officially legalized them.[268] When international media had asked about the re-education camps, China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that it had not heard of this situation.[269]

On 12 August 2018, a Chinese state-run tabloid, Global Times, defended the crackdown in Xinjiang[270] after a U.N. anti-discrimination committee raised concerns over China's treatment of Uyghurs. According to the Global Times, China prevented Xinjiang from becoming 'China's Syria' or 'China's Libya', and local authorities' policies saved countless lives and avoided a 'great tragedy'.[271][272] The paper published another editorial the day after, titled "Xinjiang policies justified".[273]

On 13 August 2018, at a UN meeting in Geneva, the delegation from China told the United Nations Human Rights Committee that "There is no such thing as re-education centers in Xinjiang and it is completely untrue that China put 1 million Uyghurs into re-education camps".[274][275][276] A Chinese delegation said that "Xinjiang citizens, including the Uyghurs, enjoy equal freedom and rights." They claimed that "Some minor offenders of religious extremism or separatism have been taken to 'vocational education' and employment training centers with a view to assisting in their rehabilitation".[277]

On 14 August 2018, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said "anti-China forces had made false accusations against China for political purposes and a few foreign media outlets misrepresented the committee's discussions and were smearing China's anti-terror and crime-fighting measures in Xinjiang" after a U.N. human rights committee raised concern over reported mass detentions of ethnic Uyghurs.[278][279]

On 21 August 2018, Liu Xiaoming, the Ambassador of China to the United Kingdom, wrote an article in response to a Financial Times report entitled "Crackdown in Xinjiang: Where have all the people gone?".[280] Liu's response said: "The education and training measures taken by the local government of Xinjiang have not only effectively prevented the infiltration of religious extremism and helped those lost in extremist ideas to find their way back, but also provided them with employment training in order to build a better life."[281]

On 10 September 2018, China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang condemned a report about the re-education camps issued by Human Rights Watch. He said: "This organisation has always been full of prejudice and distorting facts about China." Geng also added that: "Xinjiang is enjoying overall social stability, sound economic development and harmonious co-existence of different ethnic groups. The series of measures implemented in Xinjiang are meant to improve stability, development, solidarity and people's livelihood, crack down on ethnic separatist activities and violent and terrorist crimes, safeguard national security, and protect people's life and property."[282][283]

On 11 September 2018, China called for U.N. human rights chief Michelle Bachelet to "respect its sovereignty", after she urged China to allow monitors into Xinjiang and expressed concern about the situation there.[284] Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said: "China urges the U.N. human rights high commissioner and office to scrupulously abide by the mission and principles of the U.N. charter, respect China's sovereignty, fairly and objectively carry out its duties, and not listen to one-sided information".[285][284][286]

On 16 October 2018, a CCTV prime-time program aired a 15 minute episode on what was termed as Xinjiang's 'Vocational Skills Educational Training Centers', featuring the Muslim internees. Sinologist Manya Koetse documented that it received a mixture of supportive and critical responses on the Sina Weibo social media platform.[287]

In March 2019, against the background of the US considering imposing sanctions against Chen Quanguo, who is the region's most senior Communist Party official, Xinjiang governor Shohrat Zakir denied the existence of the camps.[citation needed] [241]

On 18 March 2019, the Chinese government released a white paper about the counter-terrorism, de-radicalization in Xinjiang. The white paper claims "A country under the rule of law, China respects and protects human rights in accordance with the principles of its Constitution." The white paper also claims Xinjiang has not had violent terrorist cases for more than two consecutive years, extremist penetration has been effectively curbed, and social security has improved significantly.[288]

In July 2019, the Chinese government released another white paper that claims "The Uygur people adopted Islam not of their own volition … but had it forced upon them by religious wars and the ruling class."[289] A Global Times opinion piece the same month claimed that the re-education camps employed "the advanced version of normal social govern" and said the process is "the victory of all the Chinese people including Xinjiang people".[290] In November 2019, the Chinese ambassador in London responded questions about newly leaked documents on Xinjiang by calling the documents "fake news."[226]

On 6 December 2019, China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying accused the US of hypocrisy on human rights issues relating to allegations of torture at Guantanamo Bay detention camp.[291][292]

Response from exiled dissidents
On 10 August 2018, about 47 Chinese intellectuals and others, in exile, issued an appeal against what they describe as "shocking human rights atrocities perpetrated in Xinjiang".[293]

Russia, Belarus, Tajikistan, and 34 countries in the UN Council on human rights supported the policy "to transport" in the prison of Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous region (UAG).
These countries at the meeting of the UN Council on human rights supported the Chinese statements after the letter of 22 States (EU members, Japan, Australia, Canada, New Zealand), who wrote and accused the actions of Beijing in the open letter.

About 40 delegations "have made progress in the field of human rights protection in the Chinese Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous region", - said the representative of China Chen Xu.

According to him, over the past three years the lack of terrorist acts in the region shows the right way of the state. In June, Chinese authorities denied reports about the torture of prisoners in the Uighur camps. "The education centres and vocational education are characterized as a concentration camp," said Deputy foreign Minister Zhang Changhua.

In August 2018, the UN Commission on human rights reported that in closed camps in Xinjiang were at least one million people. On it the Chairman of the PRC, examining the ideas of XI Jinping, makes you say revolutionary songs. Not born speaks Chinese. Beijing authorities explained that the presence of the camps will contribute to the prevention of terrorist acts in the region. Those who have passed re-education, they say that people in the camp suffer.
On the Wiki there is :
1578357723941.png
If we take the above clue then Sweden could get away with re-educating some of the people Chinese style, but perhaps not while in the EU.

The next video is in Russian, Chinese re-education camp for the Kazakhs and Uighurs | Police state in Kashgar (Russian) which in 22 minutes takes some time to explain the general situation and gives some perspectives. He is saying that the surveillance technology which the Chinese have developed in connection with their needs in Northwestern China has been sold to other countries. He claims that in one city or part of a city, the Chinese allegedly burned all books published before 2009, which if even partially true, surely takes Quran burning, a single of which results in violence and hysteria in Western Europe, to whole new industrial level. But the question is of course if it is true?
1578352823327.png
And as a comment to the millions of cameras and the re-education centers there is this reference to George Orwell's book 1984:
1578353023701.png

I think it is possible that Sweden, as an example of the West, could benefit from the Chinese approach, at least there are some problems that are difficult to handle. But would Sweden rather be willing to suffer the fate of Syria and Libya or let events unfold until an event takes place that will make a tough choice more easy to make? One problem with the "solution" they have in China is that many rather innocent people suffer. Is there really no alternative to punishing/educating many times more the number of people who create the problems, and is there no alternative to very harsh methods and sterilization. Before the Uyghur adopted Islam they were first Manichaeans and then Buddhists. Uyghurs - Wikipedia
The second Uyghur kingdom, the Kingdom of Qocho, also known as Uyghuristan in its later period, was founded in the Turpan area with its capital in Qocho (modern Gaochang) and Beshbalik. The Kingdom of Qocho lasted from the ninth to the fourteenth century and proved to be longer-lasting than any power in the region, before or since.[52] The Uyghurs were originally Manichaean, but converted to Buddhism during this period. Qocho accepted the Qara Khitai as its overlord in the 1130s, and in 1209 submitted voluntarily to the rising Mongol Empire. The Uyghurs of Kingdom of Qocho were allowed significant autonomy and played an important role as civil servants to the Mongol Empire, but was finally destroyed by the Chagatai Khanate by the end of the 14th century.[52][110] [....]Uyghur Qocho remained mainly Buddhist until the 15th century, and the conversion of the Uyghur people to Islam was not completed until the 17th century.

Having recalled from work on another thread Ghandi a evil racist similarly to the Dalai Lama."Tibet Paradise" Myth. M.Teresa that the Dzungar people had been eradicated by the Chinese Qing Dynasty in the 18th century, I wondered how the Uyghur came to live where they Dzungars used to live?

In this post there are a remarks about the Dzungar people and the Dzungar genocide by the Qing Dynasty, along with the reasons the Qing Dynasty had for this expedition. Understanding the past can sometimes help to understand the present and perhaps help to forsee the outcome.

About the Dzungar people there is:
The name Dzungar people, also written as Zunghar (literally züüngar, from the Mongolian for "left hand"), referred to the several Oirat tribes who formed and maintained the Dzungar Khanate in the 17th and 18th centuries. Historically they were one of major tribes of the Four Oirat confederation. They were also known as the Eleuths or Ööled, from the Qing dynasty euphemism for the hated word "Dzungar",[1] and also called "Kalmyks". In 2010, 15,520 people claimed "Ööled" ancestry in Mongolia.[2] An unknown number also live in China, Russia, and Kazakhstan.
[...]
The Dzungars were a confederation of several Oirat tribes that emerged in the early 17th century to fight the Altan Khan of the Khalkha (not to be confused with the better known Altan Khan of the Tümed), the Jasaghtu Khan, and later the Manchu for dominion and control over the Mongolian people and territories. This confederation rose to power in what became known as Dzungaria between the Altai Mountains and the Ili River Valley. Initially, the confederation consisted of the Oöled, Dorbet (also written Derbet) and Khoit tribes. Later on, elements of the Khoshut and Torghut tribes were forcibly incorporated into the Dzungar military, thus completing the re-unification of the West Mongolian tribes.

According to oral history, the Oöled and Dörbed tribes are the successor tribes to the Naiman, a Mongol tribe that roamed the steppes of Central Asia during the era of Genghis Khan. The Oöled shared the clan name Choros with the Dörvöd. "Zuun gar" (left hand) and "Baruun gar" (right hand) formed the Oirat's military and administrative organization. The Dzungar Olots and Choros became the ruling clans in the 17th century.

The above description of the Oirat is lacking the older history, here is a section from Oirats - Wikipedia
One of the earliest mentions of the Oirat people in a historical text can be found in The Secret History of the Mongols, the 13th century chronicle of Genghis Khan's rise to power. In the Secret History, the Oirats are counted among the "forest people" and are said to live under the rule of a shaman-chief known as bäki. They lived in Tuva and Mongolian Khövsgöl Province and the Oirats moved to the south in the 14th century.[8]
"Forrerst people" has by another source been taken to mean that they were forrest nomads, which makes sense as there was forrest in the north of Siberia.

Next is an excerpts from the Wiki about the Dzungar genocide, which at the same time explain how the Uyghurs came to inhabit Xinjiang:
The Dzungar genocide was the mass extermination of the Mongol Buddhist Dzungar people, at the hands of the Manchu Qing dynasty of China.[2] The Qianlong Emperor ordered the genocide due to the rebellion in 1755 by Dzungar leader Amursana against Qing rule, after the dynasty first conquered the Dzungar Khanate with Amursana's support. The genocide was perpetrated by Manchu generals of the Qing army sent to crush the Dzungars, supported by Uyghur allies and vassals due to the Uyghur revolt against Dzungar rule.

The Dzungar Khanate was a confederation of several Tibetan Buddhist Oirat Mongol tribes that emerged in the early 17th century, and the last great nomadic empire in Asia. Some scholars estimate that about 80% of the Dzungar population, or around 500,000 to 800,000 people, were killed by a combination of warfare and disease during or after the Qing conquest in 1755–1757.[3][4] After wiping out the native population of Dzungaria, the Qing government then resettled Han, Hui, Uyghur, and Xibe people on state farms in Dzungaria along with Manchu Bannermen to repopulate the area.
The Dzungar people suffered a fate like that of the American Indians, it seems.
Next there is a mention of Afaqi Khoja. He was, as mentioned later, the one who invited the Dzungars to subjugate the Uyghurs. The Uyghurs then went to the Qing Dynasty to complain about the Dzungars. The Qing Dynasty did away with the Dzungars, and resettled some of the Uyghurs along with their own people and others where the Dzungars had lived. Later Afaqi Khoja fought the Qing Dynasty in order to reclaim what we know as Xinjiang, which is ironic because it was Afaqi Khoja who had invited the Dzungars to fight the Uyghurs. Later the Qing dynasty fought the successors of Afaqi Khojas until they were no more. If one takes this in a century perspective, Tibetan Buddhism lost, the Chinese civilisation gained, Islam also gained in the short term, but now it almost looks like they could learn something from the fate of the Dzungars and for that matter from the Tibetans in Tibet.

Since the Wiki about
Afaqi Khoja Holy war has a map, I will take that first before returning to the Dzungar genocide.
In 1759, the Qing Dynasty of China defeated the Jungar Mongols and completed the conquest of Dzungaria. Concurrent with this conquest, the Qing occupied the Altishahr region of Eastern Turkestan which had been settled by the followers of the Muslim political and religious leader Afaq Khoja. [6] [7]

After the Qing conquest, the Chinese began to incorporate Altishahr and the Tarim Basin into their empire. The territory came to be known as Xinjiang. Although the followers of Āfāq Khoja known as the Āfāqī Khojas resisted Qing rule, their rebellion was put down and the khojas were removed from power. [8]

Map of Altishahr (Xinjiang) relative to China
Map of Altishahr (Xinjiang) relative to China

Beginning at that time and lasting for approximately one hundred years, the Āfāqi Khojas waged numerous military campaigns as a part of a holy war in an effort to retake Altishahr from the Qing.

Now back to Dzungar genocide - Wikipedia
Khoja Emin alliance with Qing[edit]
The Dzungars had conquered and subjugated the Uyghurs during the Dzungar conquest of Altishahr, after being invited by the Afaqi Khoja to invade.
Heavy taxes were imposed upon the Uyghurs by the Dzungars, with women and refreshments provided by the Uyghurs to the tax collectors. Uyghur women were allegedly gang raped by the tax collectors when the amount of tax was not satisfactory.[28]

Anti-Dzungar Uyghur rebels from the Turfan and Hami oases submitted to Qing rule as vassals and requested Qing help for overthrowing Dzungar rule. Uyghur leaders like Emin Khoja 額敏和卓 were granted titles within the Qing nobility, and these Uyghurs helped supply the Qing military forces during the anti-Dzungar campaign.[29][30][31] The Qing employed Khoja Emin in its campaign against the Dzungars and used him as an intermediary with Muslims from the Tarim Basin, to inform them that the Qing only sought to kill Oirats (Dzungars), and that they would leave the Muslims alone. To convince them to kill the Dzungars themselves and side with the Qing, since the Qing noted the Muslims' resentment of their former Dzungar rulers at the hands of Tsewang Araptan.[32]

The Qing genocide against the Dzungar depopulated the land. This made the Qing-sponsored settlement of millions of ethnic Han Chinese, Hui, Turkestani Oasis people (Uyghurs) and Manchu Bannermen in Dzungaria possible.[1][33] Professor Stanley W. Toops noted that today's demographic situation is similar to that of the early Qing period in Xinjiang. In northern Xinjiang, the Qing brought in Han, Hui, Uyghur, Xibe, and Kazakh colonists after they exterminated the Dzungar Oirat Mongols in the region, with one third of Xinjiang's total population consisting of Hui and Han in the northern area, while around two thirds were Uyghurs in southern Xinjiang's Tarim Basin.[34][35] In Dzungaria, the Qing established new cities like Ürümqi and Yining.[36] After the Chinese defeated Jahangir Khoja in the 1820s, 12,000 Turki (Uyghur) Taranchi families were deported by China from the Tarim Basin to Dzungaria to colonize and repopulate the area.[37] The Dzungarian basin, which used to be inhabited by Dzungars, is currently inhabited by Kazakhs.[38]
Regarding the Kazakhs, there is another side of the activity of the Dzungars which is that they fought many battles with the people living in Kazakhstan which gave the people very many troubles. In Russian there are many youtube presentations that will tell the story. On this one can turn on translation, it also has map and the time it took place. Another video with English voice over has a different perspective:
The myth of the age-old enmity of the Kazakhs and the Dzhungars
They argue bravely that that the enmity was between Kazakhs and Dzungars was a myth, but there were apparently also disagreements:
Contents
1578504488699.png
Map of the Dzungar Khanate in the 17th century
[...]

1578504523629.png
Map showing Dzungar–Qing Wars between Qing Dynasty and Dzungar Khanate
[...]
During the entire period of the Kazakh-Dzungar wars, the Dzungars fought on two fronts. In the west, they waged an aggressive occupational war against the Kazakhs, and in the east as well with the Qing Dynasty. The Kazakhs also fought on several fronts in which from the east with Dzungaria, the west where they were disturbed by Yaik Cossacks, Kalmyks and Bashkirs who constantly raided the border, and from the south against the states of Kokand, Bukhara, and Khiva.

After the death of the Galdan Tsereng in 1745 which caused an internal strife and civil war, by the struggle of candidates for the main throne and the disputes by the ruling elite of Dzungaria, one of whose representatives, Amursan, called for Chinese troops. As a result, the Dzungar Khanate fell. Its territory was surrounded by two Manchurian armies, numbering more than half a million people along with auxiliary troops from conquered people. Abylai chose not to take sides. He sheltered Amursana and Dawachi before from attacks by the Khoshut-Orait King of Tibet, Lha-bzang Khan. However, once Amursana and Dawachi were no longer allies, Abylai Khan took the opportunity to capture herds and territory from the Dzungars. More than 90% of the population of Dzungaria who were mostly women, old people, and children killed by the Qing army . About ten thousand families of Dzungars, derbets, and Hoyts, led by the Noyan and Tsereng, fought hard and went to the Volga of the Kalmyk principality. Some Dzungars made their way to Afghanistan, Badakhshan, and Bukhara who accepted military services by local rulers with their descendants eventually converting to Islam.
In the above it sayt: "Amusana called for Chinese troops" This confused me because above we were told about Afaqi Khoja. Apparently there has been much division and several contributing factors: Here is what the Wiki about Amursana claims, which eventually brings one back to Afaqi Khoja or his descendants and followers here called Altishahr Khojas:
As a Khoit, Amursana did not rank as part of the Dzungar Khanate's hierarchy and relied on Dawachi for influence among the various Oirat clans. Nevertheless, marriage to the daughter of Ablai Khan, leader of the neighboring Kazakh Khanate, and alliances with various Oirat clan leaders enabled him to build up enough support to call on Dawachi to divide the Khanate's lands between them. Dawachi refused and instead attacked his former ally, forcing him to flee east to Khovd.[3] There, Amursana swore allegiance to the Qing Qianlong Emperor, bringing with him 5,000 soldiers and 20,000 women and children.[2] He then traveled to Beijing to seek the emperor's assistance in defeating Dawachi and retaking Ili and neighboring Kashgar. Amursana's persuaded the ambitious and glory-seeking Qianlong to back his plan,[4] in addition to granting him a princedom of the first degree (雙親王; 双亲王), which entitled Amursana to double stipends and privileges, as a bonus.[2]

Meanwhile, most of the Oirat Khoshut had also defected to the Qing leaving Dawachi—reportedly a "drunken and incompetent" ruler—with only the Dzungars under his control.[2]
[...]
Amursana had hoped to usurp Dawachi's position as head of the Dzungars but Qianlong had already pre-empted such a move. Before the expedition to Ili had set out and fearing the rise of a new Mongolian empire, Qianlong had proclaimed that the four Oirat clans of Dzungaria would be resettled in their own territory each with their own Khan appointed directly by Beijing. Amursana spurned the offer of Khan over the Khoits and demanded to be khan of all Oirats. Amursana was instructed to return to Beijing but sensing danger, he escaped from his escort en route to the Qing imperial resort of Chengde on 24 September 1755.[2]
[...]
Amursana returned to Ili to rally the insurgents and almost annihilated Zhao Hui's forces. The hopelessly outnumbered Chinese general, despite putting up a spirited defence, was forced to retreat with 500 soldiers.[7] The rebels cut the post routes to the capital but Zhao Hui managed to fight his way back to Barkul, where he pleaded with Qianlong to take more drastic measures against the rebels.[2]
Meanwhile, Qing attention became temporarily focused on the Khalka prince Chingünjav, a descendant of Genghis Khan, who between the summer of 1756 and January 1757 mounted the most serious Khalka Mongol rebellion against the Qing until its demise in 1911. Before dealing with Amursana, the majority of Qianlong's forces were reassigned to ensure stability in Khalka until Chingünjav's army was crushed by the Qing in a ferocious battle near Lake Khövsgöl in January, 1757.[8]

After the victory, Qianlong dispatched additional forces to Ili where they quickly routed the rebels. Amursana escaped for a third time to the Kazakh Khanate, but not long afterwards Ablai Khan pledged tributary status to the Chinese, which meant Amursana was no longer safe.[2]
[...]
Amursana's revolt and the subsequent subjugation of the Oirats led to the Revolt of the Altishahr Khojas (1757-1759) south of the Tian Shan range and the final Qing conquest of the Tarim Basin. The abortive rebellion also dealt the death blow to Dzungaria and the Dzungar people.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amursana#cite_note-FOOTNOTEHummel194410-2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amursana#cite_note-FOOTNOTEHummel194410-2The history of Xianjing is complicated, but suppression of the Muslim Uyghurs and Kazakhs appears to be very much in line with the history of Chinese policies in the area over the last 500 years since the Oirat rulers blew their chances by creating problems due to greed and infighting. There are many lessons in the stories above including the problem of getting rid of a powerful helper when the less powerful no longer thinks he needs help, but has forgotten there often is a price to pay.

While doing some unrelated reading, I ran across a description of Chinese maritime power during the 1400's and found myself reading it with interest. It offered a new insight into modern China which I think is relevant here.

I submit it as part of a general thesis that nations and peoples are parts in a sort of planetary clockwork, endlessly repeating patterns like mechanical parts; what has been will be again until the mechanism runs down or is reset altogether by some larger dramatic force, (like the Wave or a comet or such. (And maybe not even then; who knows?)

In the early 1400‘s, China decided to become an ocean-going power, and they did it with typical Chinese industry and scale. We’ve all heard those peculiar stories about the giant Chinese oceangoing vessels which dwarfed all those of European contemporaries. The floating palaces and thousands of support vessels which the world beheld with awe.

That all happened during a brief period of Chinese muscle-flexing in the early-mid 1400‘s during which entire portions of national energy were directed into the pursuit of ship building, entire cities formed to accommodate the endeavor. Coastal and river industrial centers were abuzz with activity.., all directed by the empire of the day, until the trend was suddenly reversed on a whim of the shifting leadership. The flow of national energies was not just re-directed, but outlawed. 100 years later, Chinese power was completely vanished from the oceans of the world and it was a punishable crime for Chinese citizens to travel on masted ships.

I think the current trend of today’s Chinese hunger for mass manufacture is another episode of this national character, and that we might very well expect another reversal of some sort.

Here’s the thing...

Chinese centralized power via socialism creates the problem of no buffers to insanity. It's like having a gun in the house. All it takes is one bad day.

Capitalism in China is not the same as capitalism in the West. It is a tool used by the CCP; it is not owned by individuals. Heck, individualism is not encouraged; a Chinese citizen can gain wealth so long as that citizen doesn’t foster any silly notions of inalienable personal freedom. Though it appears attitudes were relaxed toward individual freedoms for a time, however that seems to be rapidly reversing now, as per this fellow's blogged experience of living in China and raising a family...

This video is fascinating; worth taking a moment to watch even if you don't want to wade through all this text.

Anyway.., to continue...

The problem is that when individualism is not fostered, when a force like Capitalism is dictated by a central government and ultimately, a central leader, then that national identity and direction, while it may bear a similar appearance to that of other national characters, isn’t founded in the same way at all; it can reverse immediately upon whim of the leadership and the population has no ability or ingrained desire to push back. -Try taking capitalism away from the American, and you’ll have a fight on your hands. In China, the national momentum of Empire is thousands of years old and compliance is both expected and observed.

The world has witnessed China do this before, with twists here and there on the general theme.

Here is the tale of Chinese maritime power, grown overnight (like a flash built hospital), and then torn down again in the blink of an eye.

Excerpt:

The Wealth and Poverty of Nations. (1998)
~David S. Landes

[...]
The one civilization that might have surpassed the European achievement was China. At least that is what the record seems to show. Witness the long list of Chinese inventions: the wheelbarrow, the stirrup, the rigid horse collar (to prevent choking), the compass, paper, printing, gunpowder, porcelain. And yet in matters of science and technology, China remains a mystery—and this in spite of a monumental effort by the late Joseph Needham and others to collect the facts and clarify the issues. The specialists tell us, for example, that Chinese industry long anticipated European: in textiles, where the Chinese had a water-driven machine for spinning hemp in the twelfth century, some five hundred years before the England of the Industrial Revolution knew water frames and mules; or in iron manufacture, where the Chinese early learned to use coal and coke in blast furnaces for smelting iron (or so we are told) and were turning out as many as 125,000 tons of pig iron by the later eleventh century—a figure reached by Britain seven hundred years later.

The mystery lies in China’s failure to realize its potential. One generally assumes that knowledge and know-how are cumulative; surely a superior technique, once known, will replace older methods. But Chinese industrial history offers examples of technological oblivion and regression. We saw that horology went backward. Similarly, the machine to spin hemp was never adapted to the manufacture of cotton, and cotton spinning was never mechanized. And coal/coke smelting was allowed to fall into disuse, along with the iron industry as a whole. Why?

It would seem that none of the conventional explanations tells us in convincing fashion why technical progress was absent in the Chinese economy during a period that was, on the whole, one of prosperity and expansion. Almost every element usually regarded by historians as a major contributory cause to the industrial revolution in north-western Europe was also present in China.
There had even been a revolution in the relations between social classes, at least in the countryside; but this had had no important effect on the techniques of production. Only Galilean-Newtonian science was missing; but in the short run this was not important. Had the Chinese possessed, or developed, the seventeenth-century European mania for tinkering and improving, they could easily have made an efficient spinning machine out of the primitive model described by Wang Chen. ... A steam engine would have been more difficult; but it should not have posed insuperable difficulties to a people who had been building double-acting piston flame-throwers in the Sung dynasty. The crucial point is that nobody tried. In most fields, agriculture being the chief exception, Chinese technology stopped progressing well before the point at which a lack of scientific knowledge had become a serious obstacle. 19

Why indeed? Sinologists have put forward several partial explanations. The most persuasive are of a piece:

• The absence of a free market and institutionalized property rights. The Chinese state was always interfering with private enterprise—taking over lucrative activities, prohibiting others, manipulating prices, exacting bribes, curtailing private enrichment. A favorite target was maritime trade, which the Heavenly Kingdom saw as a diversion from imperial concerns, as a divisive force and source of income inequality, woise yet, as an invitation to exit. Matters reached a climax under the Ming dynasty (1368-1644), when the state attempted to prohibit all trade overseas. Such interdictions led to evasion and smuggling, and smuggling brought corruption (protection money), confiscations, violence, and punishment. Bad government strangled initiative, increased the cost of transactions, diverted talent from commerce and industry.

[...]

Hungarian-German-French sinologist, Etienne Balazs:

“... if one understands by totalitarianism the complete hold of the State and its executive organs and functionaries over all the activities of social life, without exception, Chinese society was highly totalitarian. . . . No private initiative, no expression of public life that can escape official control. There is to begin with a whole array of state monopolies, which comprise the great consumption staples: salt, iron, tea, alcohol, foreign trade. There is a monopoly of education, jealously guarded. There is practically a monopoly of letters (I was about to say, of the press): anything written unofficially, that escapes the censorship, has little hope of reaching the public. But the reach of the Moloch-State, the omnipotence of the bureaucracy, goes much farther. There are clothing regulations, a regulation of public and private construction (dimensions of houses); the colors one wears, the music one hears, the festivals—all are regulated. There are rules for birth and rules for death; the providential State watches minutely over every step of its subjects, from cradle to grave. It is a regime of paper work and harassment [pa-pemsseries et tracasseries], endless paper work and endless harassment.

The ingenuity and inventiveness of the Chinese, which have given so much to mankind—silk, tea, porcelain, paper, printing, and more—would no doubt have enriched China further and probably brought it to the threshold of modern industry, had it not been for this stifling state control. It is the State that kills technological progress in China. Not only in the sense that it nips in the bud anything that goes against or seems to go against its interests, but also by the customs implanted inexorably by the raison d’Etat. The atmosphere of routine, of traditionalism, and of immobility, which makes any innovation suspect, any initiative that is not commanded and sanctioned in advance, is unfavorable to the spirit of free inquiry.” 21

In short, no one was trying. Why try?

Whatever the mix of factors, the result was a weird pattern of isolated initiatives and sisyphean discontinuities—up, up, up, and then down again—almost as though the society were held down by a silk ceiling. The result, if not the aim, was change-in-immobility; or maybe immobility-in-change. Innovation was allowed to go (was able to go) so far and no farther.

From pages 124-130...

The history of European commercial and political expansion into the Indian Ocean and East Asia is dominated by the question of a might- have-been. What if the sixteenth century were not a period of Asian political disarray, of war in India between native states and Turcoman invaders, of Chinese isolationism, a low as it were, exposing Asia to the ruthless thrusts of these invaders? The Chinese “absence” hurt especially.

From 1405 to 1431, the Chinese undertook at least seven major naval expeditions to explore the waters of Indonesia and the Indian Ocean. These voyages aimed to show the Chinese flag, bestow awareness and knowledge of the Celestial Kingdom on the barbarians, receive homage and tribute, and collect for the emperor those few rarities not available within his borders. In particular, the ships brought back exotic zoological specimens—giraffes, zebras, ostriches; also jewels and potent animal, vegetable, and mineral substances to enrich the Chinese pharmacopeia.

The relationship of these voyages to trade is not entirely clear. The ships carried valuable commodities (silks, porcelain) that were intended for exchange, but apparently not in the open market; rather, in the context of gift giving: tribute from the barbarians, benevolence from the Chinese. On the other hand, the sorties were apparently intended to open the way to normal trade, and merchants did come along to make their own deals. Independent trading voyages followed, presumably profiting from enhanced Chinese prestige. But if trade was one of the objectives, this was a very costly way to go about it. In effect the Chinese people were paying for the profits of the officials who organized the treasure fleets and promoted private trade, so much indeed that the burden of these voyages came to exceed the empire’s means.

These flotillas far surpassed in grandeur the small Portuguese fleets that came later. The ships were probably the largest vessels the world had seen: high multideck junks (but that is a misleading term) acted as floating camps, each carrying hundreds of sailors and soldiers, testimony to the advanced techniques of Chinese shipbuilding, navigation, and naval organization. The biggest were about 400 feet long, 160 wide (compare the 85 feet of Columbus’s Santa Maria), had nine masts and twelve square sails of red silk. These were the so-called treasure ships, built for luxury, fitted with grand cabins and windowed halls—accommodations fit for the representatives of the Son of Hea\ en and the foreign dignitaries who would accompany them back to China. Other ships met other needs: eight-masted “horse ships” carried mounts to South Asia, which for climatic reasons could not easily raise these animals, along with building and repair materials; seven-masted supply ships, carrying principally food; six-masted troop transports; five-masted warships for naval combat; and smaller fast oats to deal with pirates. The fleet even included water tankers, to ensure a fresh supply for a month or more.

These fleets, that of the eunuch admiral Zheng He consisted of 317 vessels and carried 28,000 men. From 1404 to 1407, China undertook an orgy of shipbuilding and refitting Whole seaboard provinces were drawn into the effort, lie inland forests were stripped for timber. Hundreds of households sailmakers, ropemakers, caulkers, carters and aulus, even timekeepers, were moved by fiat, grouped into teams, domiciled in yards next to their work. Since the shipwrights and their apprentices were generally illiterate, learning proceeded by example, using handcrafted models whose parts fitted perfectly without nails. No detail was too small to escape the planning of the shipwrights: overlapping planks, multiple layers, joints between planks caulked with jute and covered with sifted lime and tung oil, iron nails sealed against rust, special woods for every purpose, even large “dragon eyes’ 1 painted on the prow so that the ship could “see” where it was going. These eyes, plus a good, balanced stern rudder and heavy ballast, the whole guided by navigational experience and folkloric wisdom, would take the ship from port to port. The work itself was done in huge drydocks (China here anticipated European technology by hundreds of years) opening onto the Yangtze (Yangzi). In this way, over a period of three years, the Chinese built or refitted some 1,681 ships. Medieval Europe could not have conceived of such an armada.

Yet this Chinese opening to the sea and the larger world came to naught, indeed was deliberately reduced to naught.* In the 1430s a new emperor reigned in Peking, one who “knew not Joseph.” A new, Confucian crowd competed for influence, mandarins who scorned and distrusted commerce (for them, the only true source of wealth was agriculture) and detested the eunuchs who had planned and carried out the great voyages. For some decades, the two groups vied for influence, the balance shifting now one way, now the other. But fiscality and the higher Chinese morality were on the Confucian side. The maritime campaign had strained the empire’s finances and weakened its authority over a population bled white by taxes and corvee levies.

The decision (early fifteenth century) to move the capital to Peking made things worse: new city walls, a palace compound of over nine thousand rooms, peasants liable in principle for thirty days service but kept at work for years running. The transportation bill alone—moving the court from Nanking, some eight hundred miles—drove tax surcharges upward. A few conscientious officials spoke up, but the imperial courtiers stifled them by severe and humiliating penalties. A prefect who protested the extra requisitions was put in a cage and wheeled in disgrace to the capital to be interrogated by the emperor. So much for duty. Meanwhile, on the northwest frontier, a changing but unchanging cast of nomadic raiders gave the empire no peace, draining resources and demanding undivided attention.

So, after some decades of tugging and hauling, of alternating celebration and commemoration on the one hand, of contumely and repudiation on the other, the decision was taken not only to cease from maritime exploration but to erase the very memory of what had gone before lest later generations be tempted to renew the folly From 1436, requests for the assignment of new craftsmen to the shipyards were refused, while conversely, foreigners asking for the renewal of customary gifts were turned down, presumably for reasons of economy. For want of construction and repair, public and private fleets shrank. Pirates flourished in unguarded waters (the Japanese were particularly active), and China placed ever more reliance on inland canal transport. By 1500, anyone who built a ship of more than two masts was liable to the death penalty, and in 1525 coastal authorities were enjoined to destroy all oceangoing ships and to arrest their owners. Finally in 1551, it became a crime to go to sea on a multimasted ship, even for trade.

The abandonment of the program of great voyages was part of a larger policy of closure, of retreat from the hazards and temptations of the sea. This deliberate introversion, a major turning point in Chinese history,
could not have come at a worse time, for it not only disarmed them in the face of rising European power but set them, complacent and stubborn, against the lessons and novelties that European travelers would soon be bringing.

Why? Why did China not make that little extra effort that would have taken it around the southern end of Africa and up into the At- lantic? Why, decades and even centuries after the arrival of European visitors in Chinese waters, were there no Chinese vessels in the harbors of Europe? (The first such vessel, a vehicle tor diplomacy, visited London for the Great Exhibition of 1851.)

As always, there are several reasons. The result, in sociological jargon, is overdetermined.

To begin with, the Chinese lacked range, focus, and above all, curiosity. They went to show themselves, not to see and learn; to bestow, not to stay; to receive obeisance and tribute, not to buy. They were what they were and did not have to change. They had what they had and did not have to take or make. Unlike the Europeans, they were not motivated by greed and passion. The Europeans had a specific target: the wealth of the Indies. They had to get around Africa; that was the point of the exercise. The Chinese did not have to. They could find what they wanted in the Indian Ocean, and what they wanted was so trivial that it was not an appetizer but a dessert. At the same time, this desire to overawe meant that costs far ex-ceeded returns. These voyages reeked of extravagance. Whereas the first profits (the first whiff of pepper) and the promise of even greater ones to come were a powerful incentive to Western venturers, in China the pecuniary calculus said no. This reconsideration, in its way, was very much like that currently faced in the United States by such projects as the supercollider and the space station.

The vulnerability of the program—here today, gone tomorrow— was reinforced by its official character. In Europe, the opportunity of private initiative that characterized even such royal projects as the search for a sea route to the Indies was a source of participatory funding and an assurance of rationality. Nothing like this in China, where the Confucian state abhorred mercantile success. The opening to the sea, moreover, entailed huge outlays for defense against piracy: the more active the ships, the greater the temptation to corsairs. For the Chinese government, then, the traders were free riders, getting rich at imperial expense.

Hence the decision to turn from the sea. In 1477, a powerful eunuch named Wang Zhi, head of the secret police, asked for the logs of the great voyages by way of renewing interest in naval expeditions. In response, the vice-president of the Ministry of War confiscated the documents and either hid or burned them. Challenged on this mysterious disappearance, he denounced the records as “deceitful exaggerations of bizarre things far removed from the testimony of people’s eyes and ears”—so, unbelievable. As for the things the treasure ships brought home, “betel, bamboo staves, grape-wine, pomegranates and ostrich eggs and suchlike odd things,” they obviously did nothing for China. These voyages to the West Ocean had wasted “myriads of money and grain,” to say nothing of “myriads” of lives. And that was that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The US looks at China like this and thinks: 'how can we incite rebellion and separatism in any or all of those 'distinct' provinces'?'

Pompeo has been acting like he has a personal vendetta against China? I also reason, Pompeo is the central force behind the "gulag" meme?

US Pompeo urges Kazakhstan to press China over Uighur rights
US Pompeo urges Kazakhstan to press China over Uighur rights

NUR-SULTAN: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo urged Kazakhstan on Sunday (Feb 2) to join Washington in pressing China over its treatment of Muslim minorities in the Xinjiang province, a sensitive matter for the Central Asian nation which has close ties with Beijing.

Speaking on a visit to the capital Nur-Sultan, Pompeo said he has raised the matter in talks with Kazakh Foreign Minister Mukhtar Tleuberdi.

"The protection of basic human rights defines the soul of a nation. We discussed trafficking in persons and the plight of more one million Uighur Muslims and ethnic Kazakhs that the Chinese Communist Party has detained in Xinjiang, just across the Kazakh border," Pompeo said.

"The United States urges all countries to join us in pressing for an immediate end to this repression. We ask simply for them to provide safe refuge and asylum to those seeking to flee China. Protect human dignity, just do what's right."

Pompeo also said the United States was helping oil-rich Kazakhstan protect itself against the coronavirus outbreak in neighbouring China.

Pompeo has been acting like he has a personal vendetta against China? I also reason, Pompeo is the central force behind the "gulag" meme?
That the US uses the leverages they can think of to influence China including accusations of China having Gulags is to be expected, but what might the reality be like?

In this post, I explain how I followed a lead in another thread and the discoveries it led to, including more indications China has got its own variety of Guantanamo Bay detention camps.

In the Corona virus thread there is a mention of a Jennifer Zeng in Coronavirus epidemic in China: Apocalypse Now! Or exaggerated scare story?
just looked up the persons name who Paul Joseph Watson said up loaded some videos.

here is her twitter page.
Looking into who this person was, revealed in German Wiki if translated:
She was born in the Sichuan province, and later studied at the University of Beijing. Her degree was a Master's in biochemistry from. In 1997, she began Falun Gong to practice. Since the persecution of Falun Gong followers by the end of the 1990s, she was arrested due to its four Times, the fourth Time, in 2000, she spent a year in a labor camp. "These camps are part of a whole system that is outside the Chinese legal system. The people are locked up without a trial and without the possibility to take a lawyer.“, she explained in an Interview in Tel Aviv. "Everyone who was in this camp and also in prison, says that the camps are much worse, because you have to make forced labour, and no one cares really about, whether it is the next Morning, dead." To come out of the work camp, had Zeng is a Declaration to sign in which was stated that she believes in the teachings of Falun Gong and long article writing, in which, which is why the movement is dangerous.[1] Finally, she fled in 2001 to Australia.[2]
[...]
1997, Zeng, Falun Gong and began to practice. Later, to arrest as the government of the people's Republic of China started, people who were involved in the group, she was one among them. In fact, it was four times arrested and imprisoned in a labor camp, the Municipal woman's reformatory labor camp in Beijing[2], for Rehabilitation sent. Zeng said that she was abused in the camp, physically and mentally abused, brainwashed has been subjected to, and even an electro-shock treatment was suspended.[3] She also stated that she and the other prisoners during their stay in the camp on the days which visitors were, were forced to cards or a Basketball to play, so the visitors see it could[2].
The link to the Israeli article is: Reason for arrest: Your thoughts. Jennifer Zeng wants Israelis to know what happens in China
On her blog there is a video geared to an American audience that elaborates on her own experience in China: Former Chinese Prisoner Explains the Evils of Socialism and Communism — Jennifer's World
One article written by Mrs Zeng and published on Epoch Times details a case from 2006, so it is a bit old, but how much has changed?
Secretly Recorded Footage Shows Slave Labor, Effects of Torture in Chinese Labor Camp
Secretly Recorded Footage Shows Slave Labor, Effects of Torture in Chinese Labor Camp
BY JENNIFER ZENG
June 6, 2019 Updated: June 17, 2019
Looking up Falun Gong one can find cases as those listed below:

See also: Forms of Torture Used in Jilin Prison on Falun Gong Practitioners Who Refuse to Renounce Their Faith
Forms of Torture Used in Jilin Prison on Falun Gong Practitioners Who Refuse to Renounce Their Faith
February 07, 2020 | By a Minghui correspondent in Jilin Province, China
Next a testimony from someone who stayed at another prison, which according to the article was closed down in 2013.

‘The Notorious Masanjia’: One Woman’s Story of Torture and Sexual Violence in a Chinese Gulag
BY JOAN DELANEY May 17, 2019 Updated: May 31, 2019

Woman Recounts Torture Suffered During Nine Years of Imprisonment For Upholding Her Faith
October 28, 2019 | By a Minghui correspondent in Jilin Province, China

Chifeng City, Inner Mongolia: At Least 31 Falun Gong Practitioners Still Imprisoned for Their Faith
January 07, 2020 | By a Minghui correspondent in Inner Mongolia, China

Falun Gong Practitioner Recounts Torture in Jiangxi Women's Prison
September 12, 2019 | By a Minghui correspondent in Jiangxi Province, China

Former Middle School Arts Teacher Recounts 12 Years of Wrongful Imprisonment
August 21, 2019 | By Jiang Tao, a Falun Gong practitioner in China

Whether one calls it a gulag or reeducation, some seem to be exposed to almost a "no holds barred" approach. The reports below are regarding experiences quite some years ago, and the Masanjia institution, in which some of the abuse takes place, was closed in 2013. If one compares these older stories from the Falun Gong with the newer from the Uyghurs, then there have been changes of which the most prominent seems to be the administration of medicine, injections that makes the prisoners more docile and which in the case of women affects their hormonal balance so periods disappear and fertility is decreased.

If one takes a the threat of a forced labour camp to be an instrument of control, then it is not the only instrument, much pressure can be applied before reaching that level. The following story shows another side of education in China in relation to a Falun Gong practitioner: ‘My Kids Cannot Go to School:’ Mother of Three

Managing the lives of 1.5 billion people involves the use of force, and it is being used.

Last edited:
Looking into who this person was, revealed in German Wiki if translated:

I did some checking on Jennifer Zeng, who claims to be an activist and spent time in a Chinese prison. Information points to her being arrested a fourth time - before she was sentence to a year in prison. Other information points to her using several other last name aliases. I basically see her as a disinformation artist. The "en.minghui.org" site looks to be a propaganda outlet?

https://www.mylife.com/jennifer-tsang/e831485116836
Jennifer Tsang is 45 years old and was born on 05/25/1974. Previously cities included Astoria NY and Staten Island NY. Jennifer also answers to Jennifer Zeng, Jennifer Zengtsang and Jennifer Z Tsang, and perhaps a couple of other names. Background details that you might want to know about Jennifer include: ethnicity is Asian American, whose political affiliation is unknown; and religious views are listed as Buddhist. We know that Jennifer is single at this point. Other family members and associates include Lan Zeng, Sau Wong, Oi Tsang, Lin Zeng and Jun Zeng. Jennifer's reported annual income is about $80 - 89,999; with a net worth that tops $25,000 - $49,999

China Labor Camp Survivor Details Government Organ Harvesting
China Labor Camp Survivor Details Government Organ Harvesting
Oct 12, 2019 · Speaking in front of the U.S. Capitol, Jennifer Zeng, a China labor camp survivor, details how she and her family were captured and tortured by the Chinese Communist Party. She also lays out how the Chinese government collects and maintains a database of blood samples and tissue types for harvesting human organs.

Jennifer Zeng @jenniferatntd
· 10m
A #Wuhan doctor's conversation leaked: Emergency ward becomes mortuary, nobody handles the bodies. Crematorium too busy. Only admitted patients can be tested, gov. only gives 2000 testing kits to entire Wuhan per day. Many patients pushed away without being tested or diagnosed.

This post contains an analysis of the problems with the various names used by the person mentioned below.
Other information points to her using several other last name aliases. I basically see her as a disinformation artist. The "en.minghui.org" site looks to be a propaganda outlet?

https://www.mylife.com/jennifer-tsang/e831485116836
Jennifer Tsang is 45 years old and was born on 05/25/1974. Previously cities included Astoria NY and Staten Island NY. Jennifer also answers to Jennifer Zeng, Jennifer Zengtsang and Jennifer Z Tsang,
From the above it seems her name is Jennifer + Tsang/Zeng/Zengtsang/Z Tsang/

Analysis of the first name, Jennifer
Here one notices that Jennifer is stable. although that perhaps is the least authentic part of her name, as many Chinese living in a western country have a name that can be recognized, but has little to do with the name they were given by their parents. This understanding is explained in the following.
The structure of Chinese names
By Aaron · October 16, 2008

I am Nan, the community manager at MyHeritage for the Chinese speaking countries. I would like to share with you the story of how Chinese people create their names – I hope you’ll find it interesting.
Every single character in Chinese has explicit meanings; in general a character refers either to a physical object like a tree or a flower, or a concept such as beauty or strength. Finding out a Chinese name is like writing a poem, as you need to express meanings in just 2 or 3 letters. Unlike English names, Chinese people write their family name (normally a single letter) first and then their given name (one or two letters).

There are over 700 Chinese surnames, but only about 100 are commonly used. A list of Chinese surnames can be found here [The link was not working].

Traditionally, Chinese given names are structured by a two-character pattern. The first part is the generation name that is shared by all members of a generation, and the last character is given to the individual person. The reason Chinese people write their surname first is to show respect to the ancestors. Actually, Chinese given names are all custom-made instead of choosing one from a list of created names like Dave, Alex or Victoria. Nowadays many young Chinese have only a one-character given name, due to the fact that many families have only one child.

My name is Ma Nan, Ma is my surname and Nan is my given name. Ma is ranked as the 14th most common surname in Mainland China; ‘ma’ literally means ‘horse’. Nan is a kind of wood – hard with a rich fragrance, it is quite precious. My parents gave me the name of Nan as this has the meanings of healthy and strong. Many Chinese are named after the aspirations that parents have for their children’s future such as the literal translation of luck, wealth and so on.
From the above we get that in China, Jennifer is unlikely. Also Jennifer would take three Chinese characters (珍妮弗) according to How to say Jennifer in Chinese?

Analysis of the surname "Tsang"
What about her last surname/s "Tsang/Zeng/Zengtsang/Z Tsang/"
Not knowing much about Chinese surnames, I looked up their structure. In the next quote there are quotes within quotes, to reduce the space and to stove it away, but still leave it for those interested, because later I found out I could search directly, and that is the section, that follows the quote:
Due to the different spelling conventions and dialects as well as the different spelling preferences in the various countries these Chinese find themselves in, many people of the same Chinese surname can appear differently when written in English, for example the Lin surname (林) may also appear as Lam (Cantonese) or Lim (Hokkien). Some Chinese surnames that appear to be the same written in English may also be different in Chinese due to different characters having the same or similar pronunciations, dialectal differences, or non-standard romanisations (see section on variation in romanization below).[18][19]
And a little later: Chinese surname - Wikipedia
Of the thousands of surnames which have been identified from historical texts prior to the modern era, most have either been lost (see extinction of family names) or simplified. Historically there are close to 12,000 surnames recorded including those from non-Han Chinese ethnic groups, of which only about 3,100 are in current use,[20] a factor of almost 4:1 (about 75%) reduction. A 2019 figure however put the total number of Chinese family names at 6,150.[3] Of Han Chinese surnames, the largest number ever recorded was 6,363 (3,730 single-character surnames, 2,633 multiple-character surnames), around 2,000 of which are still in use.[1]
[...]
Chinese Surname extinction is due to various factors, such as people taking the names of their rulers, orthographic simplifications, taboos against using characters from an emperor's name, and others. A recent example of near surname extinction is the rare surname Shan (𢒉).[21] The character may not be displayed on computer systems used by government officials, and people born after the system change as well as people who want to avoid possible problems changed their name to another character such as Xian (冼). The name is still used the older people but some people from the village are concerned that future generations will forget their name origin.[21]
The Wiki is helpful regarding the alleged surnames "Tsang/Zeng/Zengtsang/Z Tsang/"
Tsang is a Chinese surname, particularly used by persons from Hong Kong. It is written as 曾. The surname 曾 may also be romanised as "Zeng" (pinyin, China), "Tseng" (Taiwan) and "Tang" (Vietnam).
And about Zeng Zeng - Wikipedia
Zeng ([tsə́ŋ], Chinese: 曾; pinyin: Zēng; Wade–Giles: Tseng) is a Chinese family name. In Cantonese, it is Tsang; in Taiwan, Tseng or Tzeng; in Malaysia and Singapore, Chan; in Indonesia, Tjan; in Vietnam, Tăng. The surname Zeng is the 32nd most common surname in Mainland China. It is the 16th most common surname in Taiwan.
It seems to me the way she spell her surname comes up Tsang/Zeng/Zengtsang/Z Tsang/ is a variation over the same theme, none of which is the true Chinese character.

Analysis of the Chinese
Twitter name 曾錚
On the Twitter one finds two Chinese characters in front of the name, and I took a screenshot:

1581162332962.png
Using a Chinese-english dictionary like 曾 | Definition | Mandarin Chinese Pinyin English Dictionary | Yabla Chinese I found the meaning to be:
https://chinese.yabla.com/chinese-english-pinyin-dictionary.php?define=曾
Apparently the first character is similar to the above "Zeng/Tsang" Might her Chinese Twitter name be written as the Chinese do with the surname first? For this one needs to look at the second Chinese Character of the Twitter name which is 錚 The dictionary gives us:
Trad.
zhēng
clang of metals small gong
The question now is if that last character, zhēng, could qualify as a name for a girl? Apparently it can, seee Chinese girl names with zheng However, there are six characters with a similar pronunciation but different meanings. I have inserted a [...] with letters to denote if they also can be used for boys and five out of six can, as I found out when comparing the girl's name with the boy's name Chinese boy names with zheng and only "征 (zhēng)
Original meaning: invade, attack, conquer" was not listed as a possible girl's name, (no wonder), but the following were:
Chinese girl names with zheng
McLay January 25, 2020 at 8:04 am
Chinese girl names with zheng, meaning and Recommended names.
The Chinese character zheng for Chinese girl names is: 正、政、筝、郑、峥、铮
The meaning of these:
正 (zhèng)
Original meaning: right, proper, correct [m/f]
[...]
政 (zhèng)
Original meaning: government, political affairs [m/f]
[...]
筝 (zhēng)
Original meaning: stringed musical instrument; kite [f]
[...]
郑 (zhèng)
Original meaning: state in today's Henan; surname [m/f]
[...]
峥 (zhēng)
Original meaning: high, lofty, noble; steep, perilous [m/f]
[...]
铮 (zhēng)
Original meaning: clanging sound; small gong [m/f]
If one takes the above into consideration names like "Jennifer Zengtsang and Jennifer Z Tsang" can be seen as a western name "Jennifer" plus a Chinese first name ~ "Zeng"or the first letter of her first name "Z" plus a surname "Tsang".

To conclude, there are no major issues with her name, as the analysis of her name when latinized as well as the Chinese characters converge upon a common core of meanings, with the difference that the name Jennifer does not occur in the Chinese name, but given the custom among Chinese having contact with western society, there is nothing unusual about this observation.

Last edited:
Amazing bit of sleuthing there thorbiorn.

Thank you very much. Looking at her photo, which of course may be an old one, I'm struck by the fact that she looks very hale and hearty. Seeing as she's a repeat offender, i.e. been imprisoned four times, maybe she should show some signs of wear and tear.? Some of the stories mentioned above relate some prison terms up to nine years. Taking the experiences of other victims she has come through rather unscathed and that is the red flag for me.

I'm thinking of the girl in THE GUNS OF NAVARONNE who claimed to have been subject to torture but was working for the Nazi's all along. Trying not to get sucked into this but paid opposition seems to be part and parcel of the game.

Looking at her photo, which of course may be an old one, I'm struck by the fact that she looks very hale and hearty. Seeing as she's a repeat offender, i.e. been imprisoned four times, maybe she should show some signs of wear and tear.? Some of the stories mentioned above relate some prison terms up to nine years. Taking the experiences of other victims she has come through rather unscathed and that is the red flag for me.
As you suggest, it is an old photo. From one of her more recent Youtube videos, I made a screen shot.
1581245296605.png

I'm thinking of the girl in THE GUNS OF NAVARONNE who claimed to have been subject to torture but was working for the Nazi's all along. Trying not to get sucked into this but paid opposition seems to be part and parcel of the game.
Being unfamiliar with the story, I had to read the plot in the Wiki:
Upon infiltrating the village of Navarone, however, Miller discovers most of his explosives have been sabotaged and deduces that Anna is the culprit. She confesses that she did not escape but that the Germans recruited her as an informer in exchange for her release. Mallory reluctantly prepares to execute Anna as a precaution against detection, but Maria shoots her instead.
If I translates this story into present time, it could mean the CIA, MI6 or Taiwan are paying criminal syndicates to smuggle malcontents out of China on the condition they later work for them and tell bad stories about the People's Republic of China and the Chinese Communist Party. Is Jennifer Zeng the equivalent of an Anna from the Guns of Navaronne? Is it possible to establish some solid links between her and Western intelligence services. I tried to find links between Falun Gong and western intelligence, but I did not yet get very far, except one could say that the Falun Gong is like a NGO, which are often employed, because certainly Falun Gong is not well liked by the Communist Party, in fact it is considered one of the Five Poisons, a topic I encountered in:
Communist China's Overseas Suppression of the 'Five Poisons' mentions the Five poison.
The Chinese government defames groups of people it considers the greatest danger to its own rule, calling these the “Five Poisons.” It [the government] fights them not only at home, but even spies on their adherents who live in Germany. Affected are most of all those whom China suspects of separatism: Uighurs and Tibetans, as well as adherents of the meditation movement Falun Gong. Beyond these, China’s communist party also considers members of the democracy movement and advocates for an independent Taiwan as state enemies.
To put "Five Poison" into a cultural context, one understanding of this term is found in Chinese Buddhism which explains it as denoting five disturbing emotions:
Five poisons - Chinese Buddhist Encyclopedia explains:
The five poisons (Skt. pañca kleśaviṣa; Wyl. dug lnga) are the following disturbing emotions:
  1. desire,
  2. anger,
  3. delusion or ignorance,
  4. pride,
  5. jealousy.
These five can be further condensed into the three poisons: pride is a combination of ignorance and desire(or attachment), and jealousy is a combination of attachment and aggression.

Another old image is found in Five Poisons - Wikipedia
The Ancient Chinese believed that the only way to combat poison was with poison,
[...]
The five poisons in this context don't refer to five actual toxins but to five animals that were perceived to be "poisonous", these animals according to various historical sources usually included:[1]
But in some variants toads were replaced by Jin Chan, and in other variants tigers are members of the 5 poisons.[2][3] Tigers are then considered members of the five poisons because they are solitary animals and the Mandarin Chinese word for "solitary" has a similar pronunciation as the word for "poison".

And later in the Wiki the sense in which "Five Poisons" is meaningful for the Chinese Government of today is explained.
The Five Poisons are five perceived threats to the stability of the rule of the Communist Party of China.[4][5][6]

The Five Poisons of the Communist Party of China
The 'five poisons' are:

Countering the "poison" of Falun Gong, is in Canada allegedly done by supporting groups opposing Falun Gong: according to an article in the Toronto Star from 2010 written by Richard J. Brennan, summarized or reposted on a Falun Dong site explains:
"Confucius Institutes" are under CCP control; Falun Gong is among the targets

The CSIS director said in his candid question-and-answer session at the military institute that China specifically is funding a series of Confucius Institutes in campuses across Canada.

He told the crowd "these clandestine operations are managed by the Chinese embassy or consulates."
"They have organized demonstrations against the Canadian government with respect to some of our policies concerning China. They have organized demonstrations to deal with what are called the five poisons, Taiwan, Falun Gong and others," he said.
Reading the above one wonders, if China has not learned from others Governments.
About the Confucius Institute the Wiki has:
Confucius Institute (Chinese: 孔子学院; pinyin: Kǒngzǐ Xuéyuàn) is a public educational organization under the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China,[1] whose stated aim is to promote Chinese language and culture, support local Chinese teaching internationally, and facilitate cultural exchanges.[2][3] The organization has been criticized due to concerns of rising Chinese influences in the countries in which it operates.[4]

The Confucius Institute program began in 2004 and is overseen by Hanban (officially the Office of Chinese Language Council International). The institutes operate in co-operation with local affiliate colleges and universities around the world, and financing is shared between Hanban and the host institutions. The related Confucius Classroom program partners with local secondary schools or school districts to provide teachers and instructional materials.[5][6]

China has compared Confucius Institutes to language and culture promotion organizations such as Portugal's Instituto Camões, Britain's British Council, France's Alliance Française, Italy's Società Dante Alighieri, Spain's Instituto Cervantes and Germany's Goethe-Institut—several of them named for an iconic cultural figure identified with that country, as Confucius is identified with China.[7] However, unlike these organizations, many Confucius Institutes operate directly on university campuses, thus giving rise to unique concerns related to academic freedom and political influence.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius_Institute#cite_note-ChinaU-1
About themselves the Confucius Institute write: 孔子学院-关于孔院
The Confucius Institute is a Chinese-foreign cooperation in the establishment of a non-profit educational institution dedicated to adapt to the world of States and regions the people on Chinese learning of needs, promotion world States and regions the people on China language culture of understanding, strengthening China and the countries of the world educational and cultural exchange cooperation, the development of China and Foreign Relations, to promote world multi-cultural development, building a harmonious world.

The Confucius Institutes conduct Chinese Language Teaching and Sino-foreign educational, cultural and other aspects of the exchanges and cooperation.The services provided include: to carry out Chinese Language Teaching; Training Chinese Language teachers and providing Chinese Language Teaching Resources; and the development of Chinese test and Chinese teachers qualification authentication; provide Chinese education, culture and other information consultation; develop foreign language and cultural exchange
To find the nearest Confucius Institute, see the list on their website. 孔子学院-关于孔院

There are also support groups for Falun Dafa:
Persecution of Falun Gong ends the story in 2010, but has many links.
CIPFG which has http://cipfg.org/docs/CIPFG_Labour_Camp_Guide_PRINT.pdf which is a bit old, (2008) but in some respects similar to later stories.

The U.S. State Department didn't win any friends in Beijing when it decided in May 2010 to give $1.5 million to the Global Internet Freedom Consortium, a Falun-Gong-backed group that had developed software to skirt Internet censorship around the globe.
Support from US Congress 2019-2020
S.Res.274 - A resolution expressing solidarity with Falun Gong practitioners who have lost lives, freedoms, and other rights for adhering to their beliefs and practices, and condemning the practice of non-consenting organ harvesting, and for other purposes
Another support article writes:
Falun Gong was greatly reduced in number in China, although hundreds of devotees are still identified and arrested every year. However, it became the worst nightmare abroad for Chinese image and public relations. Falun Gong members expatriated in great numbers, created successful communities overseas, and organized daily anti-CCP demonstrations in front of Chinese embassies, consulates, and wherever Chinese dignitaries traveled. Since Falun Gong became quite proficient in promoting cultural activities both presenting traditional Chinese culture and denouncing CCP, including the internationally acclaimed Shen Yun shows, ad in managing an impressive network of newspapers and TV stations, a large audience became familiar with the persecution of the movement in China and its accusations that the CCP performs torture and organ harvesting on its devotees.
So far I can find evidence of support for Falun Gong, but to conclude that since they have support from groups that oppose the Chinese Communist Party, therefore all their claims are just lies, of that I'm not convinced.

The "en.minghui.org" site looks to be a propaganda outlet?
en.minghui.org is the website of Falun Dafa, which one could say is a propaganda outlet promoting the Falun Dafa take on personal development. The Falun Gong - Wikipedia, mentions that
Falun Gong is distinct from other qigong schools in that its teachings cover a wide range of spiritual and metaphysical topics, placing emphasis on morality and virtue and elaborating a complete cosmology.[23] The practice identifies with the Buddhist School (Fojia) but also draws on concepts and language found in Taoism and Confucianism.[20] This has led some scholars to label the practice as a syncretic faith.[24]
Falun Dafa was also a subject of a question in one of the earlier sessions, and Laura included the segment in The Ringing Cedars and Anastasia The response indicates that ritualistic practices lead to STS. The C's use the word germane, which for me is an uncommon word that I only meet in the sessions, if other readers are in the same boat, here it is: Definition of GERMANE has:
Definition of germane
1: being at once relevant and appropriate : FITTING omit details that are not germane to the discussion
Next the copy of the relevant parts in the post:
Q: (L) Well, this article I was reading said that different people used several techniques where they think it has helped them to halt or avoid abduction by "aliens." One is to generate an "internal" sound, a high-pitche "thought hum," and another is to invoke angelic spirits such as the Archangel Michael, and another is to "Just Say No," and these people think they have avoided being abducted thereby. Are any of these usable techniques?
A: Potpourri.
Q: (T) Sweet smelling dried flowers are potpourri.
A: Sage, salt, ooohm, any other rituals you like?
Q: (L) In other words, nothing works? (T) It's not going to stop them! I keep a heavy shield around the house and all that stuff and they still get through!
A: How about the hula hoop dance with green peppers stuck up your nose! [Hilarious laughter]
Q: (T) Thirty-three times! Mirth!

Q: (L) Alright. I think that covers that! Now, let's move onto Falun Dafa. He says: 'Falun are intelligent Entities. They are cultivated by practicing Buddha law and by the movement exercises which look like Tai Chi. The emphasis is on the practice of Zhen Shan Reng, or Truthfulness, Benevolence, and Tolerance, the supreme characteristics of the universe. You gather a Falun and place it in the Dan Tien, the navel, and it revolves there, and continues your cultivation for you. [...] What I am most interested in is the idea of Falun as intelligent entities. What or who are they?'
A: This is still not germane.

Q: (L) Well, the most important issue to him is, do they exist as described by this Master Li.
A: Okay, so they do.
Q: (L) Can you gather them and cultivate them and achieve 10,000 supernormal powers?
A: Yes, we suppose. But first, contact your broker, secure the credit cards, remember to turn off the computer and unplug the microwave. Also, the Maple dining room set
should get a fresh dose of Lemon Pledge, so as to give the authentic maple that "see your reflection shine!"

Q: (L) Okay. Let's move right along here. Bill also says that what he thinks is part of the preparation for 4th density is an extensive effort toward the methods of creating our own reality in the sense of using visualizations toward a desired end with enough
consistent emotional intensity as to manifest the phenomenon in the physical.'
A: Also, three cups of sugar, mixed with quinine and eye of gnute. Be sure to shake it three times over your head in a burlap sack while wearing an amulet depicting King
George backwards over your left nipple. Say 14 oooms while shaking your left ankle 5 times, throw in some monoatomic gold... [at this point we are becoming aware of
what is being said and laughing so hard that it is difficult to call out the letters.]
Q: (L) I think I get the point. You are saying that all of this stuff that people are doing is, where they think they are doing something to get them somewhere, is simply a
waste of time?
A: Oh no, not at all, we have forgotten to mention the sage, salt and the unleavened bread!
Q: (L) The bottom line that I have on the subject is that anybody who does this or that WITH THE INTENT of achieving 4th density, is following the STS mode because they EXPECT SOME RESULT or reward, and that is Servicing Self...
A: Yes, and they are missing the point. By the way, when does the next flight leave for North Carolina?
Q: (L) So, wanting to DO anything other than to just BE as fully as you can be in the here and now constitutes...
A: STS and... 3rd density thought.
Q: (L) Alright. I think that covers that!

For more about the New Agey characteristics of Falun Gong, one scholar has done some research and he gave a lecture about Falun Gong that ends with a number of observations that only emphasize the impression given from the transcript:

What is interesting is that it seems a Gail Rachlin (!) was involved in promoting Falun Gong, was she also involved in the changes that followed, when Li went to the US?
During 1995 and 1996 Li clearly spent a lot of his time outside China but it was not until February 1997 that he made the final move and left for good, applying for asylum in New York. In March 1998 a New York publicist and practitioner by the name of Gail Rachlin became involved in Li’s inner circle’. Since that time she has become one of the group’s major spokespeople and media contacts. It was she who introduced Danny Schechter, author of Falun Gong’s Challenge to China, to Falun Gong.

I would like now to examine a recent trend in the movement that has to do with the future: Falun Gong’s interest in prophecy. In late June last year, Li published an article on the Minghui website called In Reference to a Prophecy’. The article begins, Disciples, what is currently unfolding in China was previously arranged. Many people throughout history have prophesied this. They chose not to articulate the matter directly so as to both conform to the deluded way the world is and to warn its people. Therefore, everyday people are only able to realise the meaning of a prophecy after history has come to pass’. This discussion of prophecy was, at that stage, new to Falun Gong although it acknowledges both predestination and the possibility of precognition in highly cultivated individuals. What comes as a surprise here is what follows: For example, with regard to what is happening in China, Nostradamus, the Frenchman, stated the following in his book of prophecy, Centuries, hundreds of years ago, “In the year 1999, seventh month/From the sky will come a great King of Terror/In order to bring back to life the great King of Angolmois/Before and after Mars reigns in the name of bringing people happiness”.

This quatrain is the 72nd of the 10th set of quatrains in Nostradamus and it is quite famous as it is one of the few to include a specific date—the seventh month of 1999. His words are, however, notoriously difficult to decipher, even if you do regard them as prophetic.

An example of this in the quatrain Li quotes is the reference to the great King of Angolmois which is often read as a near anagram of Mongolois, the Mongols, making this line refer to the great King of the Mongols. Li, however, does not seem to accept this reading, preferring, but not explaining, Angolmois. His first point of commentary reads, What he said about “the year 1999, seventh month, From the sky will come a... Terror, In order to bring back to life the... king refers precisely to a few people with ulterior motives in the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party using their power to initiate a vicious, comprehensive suppression of Dafa and Dafa disciples’. The parts that are difficult to understand are simply left out. His second point of commentary refers to Mars: As to the sentence before and after Mars reigns”, it means to say that [Karl] Marx is ruling the world before and after the year 1999…With regard to the last part, in the name of bringing people happiness”, this refers to the communist idea of liberating all of humankind, as well as to Western societies sustaining social welfare through heavy taxation’.

Thus, setting aside the question of whether Li’s reading of this quatrain is any more or less reasonable than any other reading of it, we should note that Li is not using Nostradamus to predict what will happen; he is using Nostradamus to verify what has already happened—it is a kind of prophecy with hindsight. This avoids rather neatly the problem about what to do when a prophecy does not come to fruition—not an uncommon occurrence in the history of religious movements—but more importantly it implies that Falun Gong is part of a great cosmic plan and that the crackdown is also part of that plan. Li concludes this short exposition with, prophecies concerning this time period have circulated in many countries. The few remarks above are only for reference’.

This article seems to have acted as a green light for discussions of prophecy. Following it at regular intervals through the second half of 2000 and continuing to the present, contributions—usually anonymous or pseudonymous—have appeared on the Minghui site. There have been several more that are Nostradamus related, but also disquisitions on two Chinese figures: a monk of the Sui period called Master Buxu, which is a term usually translated as Pacing the Void—a figure for whom I cannot find any historical reference—and the well-known writer and statesman of the early Ming period, Liu Bowen. Nam Sa-go, a Korean scholar and astronomer of the 16th century, ‘The Book of Revelations’, and the Hopi Indians of Northern Arizona are also mentioned.

The purport of these essays is consistent: Falun Gong was predicted long ago and seers from across the world and across time have known this. Furthermore, Li Hongzhi occupies a special place in the cosmic plan appearing in these texts (by implication) as Pahaana, the Great White Brother who will come from the East, in the Hopi stories (to none other than Maitreya the future Buddha), in the prophesies of Liu Bowen and Nam Sa-go.

What is happening here? Why has this move to prophecy been made? There are a number of possible answers to this question. First, I think we should note that they have appeared while Falun Gong is being suppressed in its homeland. The prophecies implicitly make the claim that this movement is of far greater consequence than mere political action within one country at this particular time of tribulation. They look forward to the inevitable time when Falun Gong can be practised once again in China and Li Hongzhi, now interpreted as a being of cosmic greatness, can once again lead his movement for human salvation.

Jan Nattier, an estimable scholar of Buddhist movements, provides some provocative thoughts concerning this kind of apocalyptic scenario. Apocalyptic mythology’, she says, is often generated by those recently expelled from power in a religiously based political system … Under these circumstances, such mythology serves to reinforce the threatened identity of those recently ousted from power, while at the same time justifying their reluctance to take concrete (and probably suicidal) political action. The result is the development of what might be called passive apocalyptic—an outlook that anticipates the overthrow of the illegitimate religio-political order but expects the initiative for such action to come from divine power(s) without any human assistance’.

We should also note that the prophecies have been discussed only since Falun Gong has left China. It is now an international movement with a large number of expatriate Chinese adherents as well as a growing number of Western adherents. The move to prophecy is one way to satisfy these two groups of the bona fides of their movement. Perhaps of importance to the expatriate community are the references to age-old Chinese texts that reinforce the idea that Falun Gong has roots deep in Chinese culture. I should add parenthetically that religious movements in China commonly fabricate their own histories with spurious genealogies: Chan or Zen Buddhism and the Celestial Masters tradition of Daoism are two clear cases of this. At the same time references to Nostradamus and the Hopi prophecies are deeply embedded in Western New Age discourse. Thus, discussion of prophecy allows Falun Gong to be simultaneously both local and global. If this particularly Chinese cultivation system is to offer salvation to all of humankind, it helps if seers from all cultures have foretold its coming.

In conclusion, I hope that I have indicated both how deeply traditional many aspects of Falun Gong are, and at the same time, how completely modern it is. There are aspects of Falun Gong doctrine that could have been understood by a cultivator in China 1000 years ago, and there are parts of the doctrine that could not have appeared in China before the late 1980s. This synthesis of age-old traditions and contemporary modes of being is not confined to Falun Gong but can be seen in many aspects of contemporary Chinese life. With all the talk of entry into the World Trade Organisation, or China ’s space program, or the vast changes in China ’s economic system, phenomena like qigong movements—even if they attract tens or even hundreds of millions of adherents—are often seen as anomalous. In the media they either appear as suitable fodder for the postcard slot on Foreign Correspondent, along with Sumo wrestling and Mongolian horse racing, or else as baffling threats or challenges to the Chinese Communist Party, with little or no attention being paid to the beliefs or practices.

A proper understanding of contemporary China relies on really getting to grips with these widespread and popular movements, at least as much as understanding politics, economics and trade. The fact that they are often difficult for Westerners to understand should not be any reason to relegate them to the anomalous or quirky or kooky. Rather, it should stand as an indication of the shortcomings in our understandings of contemporary China.

Gail Rachlin appears a spoke person in the next article: China Tries U.S. Resident As Spy / She aided Falun Gong published in late 2000
China Tries U.S. Resident As Spy / She aided Falun Gong
Christopher Bodeen, Associated Press Published 4:00 am PST, Friday, November 24, 2000

After a three-hour trial, Beijing's No. 1 Intermediate People's Court recessed without issuing a verdict, the Information Center for Human Rights and Democracy said. Teng was represented by two lawyers but her family members were barred, the Hong Kong-based group said.

Police outside the courthouse ordered foreign reporters away without explanation.
The campaign against Falun Gong is a sensitive political issue in China, where communist leaders and police are embarrassed by their inability to quash the popular meditation movement.

Teng joined Falun Gong last year in New Jersey, and her acupuncture clinic in New York became an informal clubhouse for the group, said Gail Rachlin, a Falun Gong spokeswoman in New York. Teng went to Beijing in February and, as Hannah Li, helped publicize the crackdown, contacting foreign journalists on and off for several months.
A July 27 indictment later passed on to Teng's family accused her of causing "serious damage" to China, Rachlin said. Specifically, it charged her with sneaking foreign reporters into a psychiatric hospital in suburban Beijing where Falun Gong followers were detained, which Rachlin said was true.

A copy of a second purported indictment, provided by the Hong Kong-based Information Center, gave a different version. It said an accomplice with the surname Xu used a digital camera from Teng to photograph Falun Gong followers at a deprogramming center in March. Teng then allegedly gave the photos to foreign media.
The indictment, dated Sept. 13, also accused Teng of taking reporters to interview Falun Gong members in southwestern Beijing on Feb. 7. It said police detained her May 13 and formally charged her two months later.

Rachlin said Teng's husband, a U.S. citizen whom she would not identify, flew to Beijing to monitor the trial, although diplomats in touch with the man earlier said China had refused to give him a visa.

The U.S. Embassy in Beijing said it had no information on Teng. U.S. law does not require U.S. diplomats to provide legal assistance to residency holders.
Falun Gong drew millions of adherents in the 1990s.
China banned the group in July 1999, branding it a cult.
How the above story ended can be found in another article where Gail Rachlin also appears in
New Yorker Renounces Falun Gong
JOHN LEICESTER

Published 4:00 pm PST, Saturday, January 5, 2002

Associated Press Writer

BEIJING (AP) _ Reports that Falun Gong followers were being tortured in Chinese jails prompted Teng Chunyan to risk all and come home from New York City. Now she too is in prison but insists she cherishes every moment there.

In a prison interview, her first with a Western news organization since her arrest in May 2000, Teng said she has undergone a radical "mental transformation." No longer a crusader, she says Falun Gong is a cult that brainwashed her.

"I really treasure each day of my time here," said Teng, dressed in a blue prison uniform. "I think it's all the start of a new life. It's given me many opportunities to learn things that I didn't know before."

Her friends are shocked. They suspect that 38-year-old Teng, who lived in the New York City borough of Queens and ran a successful acupuncture clinic on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue, has been abused and forced to recant.

What else, they ask, could prompt such a change of heart from a woman who would rise before dawn to practice Falun Gong's slow-motion exercises daily in parks?

"I don't understand how a person could change totally," said Janet Xiong, a New York City government employee who practiced with Teng. "I think she must be brainwashed."

The interview with Teng was given in response to an Associated Press request. Questions had to be submitted in advance. Prison officials sat in on the meeting, which also was monitored by foreign affairs and security officials.

Such constraints make it difficult to judge how freely Teng was speaking. But the interview gave insights into how China is dealing with a movement it has labeled a dangerous cult, and its efforts to discredit its leadership and drive away followers.

The prison where Teng shares a third-floor room with five other former Falun Gong followers opened in December 2000 and holds 102 women. Officials say most were convicted of such economic crimes as theft and corruption.

Its high walls are topped by barbed wire. Security cameras and armed guards keep watch. Inmates are up at 6 a.m. and in bed by 9:30 p.m.

Teng, a Chinese citizen who moved to the United States in 1990 and had permanent U.S. residency, returned to China early in 2000 on a self-appointed mission to expose Beijing's efforts to crush Falun Gong.

Chinese leaders banned the group in July, 1999, fearful that its multimillion-member following and organizational prowess threatened communist rule.

Thousands were confined to prisons or labor camps. Human rights groups and Falun Gong supporters abroad said dozens were dead from torture and abuse.

Police detained and punched, kicked and spat on followers who protested on Tiananmen Square, the huge plaza in the center of Beijing.

Operating under the pseudonym Hannah Li, Teng tipped off foreign reporters about protests and helped them meet practitioners. Some had been detained in a mental hospital. One man said he was fed psychiatric drugs.

"She was very proud of what she did. She felt she did something noble," Xiong said in a telephone interview. "I was impressed by her courage."

After a brief visit to New York, Teng returned to China in May 2000.

This time, authorities were waiting. China's official Xinhua News Agency said she was detained while entering from Hong Kong.

Friends say they had tried to discourage Teng from her second trip.

"I didn't have a good feeling about it," said Gail Rachlin, a Falun Gong spokeswoman in New York. "She just said, `I have to go there.' She was being like Florence Nightingale, the savior of people."

A Beijing court tried Teng at a closed hearing on Nov. 23, 2000. The U.S. State Department called it "deeply disturbing." Seven weeks later came the sentence: three years in prison for "spying and leaking state secrets."

Teng said she resisted at first and only began to question her actions after 13 months in detention.

She was moved last June from a holding center to the First Division of the Beijing Women's Prison, a new section of a large penal complex in Beijing's southwestern suburbs.

"Only then did I really start my mental transformation," Teng said.

"In the detention center I met ordinary people. I saw their reaction to us and what I regard as the fairly extreme actions of some detained Falun Gong practitioners _ such as wanting to hunger strike or commit suicide.

"When I stopped standing on the side of Falun Gong and looked back on Falun Gong's actions as an ordinary person I saw that politically it really had played a role of resisting the government.

"I felt very, very sad when I realized that I really did bring harm to the country, to society and to my family."

Teng was interviewed in a prison reception room. She answered mostly in Chinese, switching occasionally into English.

She spoke coherently and looked relaxed, although physically she had changed.

As the pseudonymous Hannah Li, Teng wore her hair long and was elegantly dressed and made up. Now her hair was cut to collar length and looked greasy or gelled. She had rouged cheeks, lipstick, thinly plucked eyebrows and looked plumper, even a little puffy, around the face.

The New York chic that made Hannah Li stand out in Beijing was gone.

Her Falun Gong friends wonder what happened in the 18 months between her arrest and the November day when Chinese state media announced that she had shaken off a "spiritual shackle" and renounced Falun Gong.

Falun Gong, quoting unnamed witnesses who it said were detained with Teng, said she was abused.

"She was interrogated for hours on end on more than 50 occasions. She was forced to stand and squat in excruciating postures for days and nights at a time. And she was even fined 30,000 yuan ($3,600) as a `service charge' for her own captivity," said a written statement issued by Falun Gong's office in New York.

Falun Gong says practitioners are routinely tortured. By the end of 2001, it says, 334 had been killed, 500 imprisoned, more than 1,000 sent to mental hospitals and 20,000 detained in labor camps.

"They strip them of their clothes and hang them upside down. Crazy things to induce pain, almost to the point of death _ electric shocks, inside their private parts for the women; for the men in their mouths or their heads," Rachlin said.

The government says Falun Gong practitioners have committed suicide or died of ill health in custody. But it denies that followers are targeted for abuse. The government says it only imprisons hard-core organizers.

Teng said she hasn't been tortured or seen it happen to others. She likened the prison to a school.

"The living conditions are very, very good," she said. "We eat really well, like in a hotel and a little better than at home."

"I absolutely don't feel as if I have been brainwashed here," Teng said. "I think I was brainwashed by Falun Gong. Through transformation I really have escaped from that previous brainwashed state and seen the truth."

The U.S. Embassy in Beijing says its diplomats have not been allowed to visit Teng. The embassy said it requested access on behalf of her American husband. But because she is not a U.S. citizen she is not covered by a treaty letting diplomats see detained Americans.

Born the youngest of three children in Harbin in China's northeast, Teng went to the United States in 1990, according to her mother, Qiu Yunfang.

She married a Russian Jewish immigrant in 1998, Qiu said. They have no children. Qiu said her daughter had begun the process of applying for U.S. citizenship before she was arrested.

Xiong first met Teng in the summer of 1998 when she showed up for Falun Gong lessons in the Queens Botanical Garden.

By early 1999, Teng was coming almost daily for two-hour sessions starting at 5:30 a.m. and was introducing acupuncture patients to Falun Gong, Xiong said.

Teng said she turned to Falun Gong for help with health and personal problems, to attain its stated aims of "truth, compassion and forbearance," and "to bring honor to my family, to my parents."

"But the result was totally opposite," she said.

Now she talks about her "transformation" with the same fervor she once displayed for Falun Gong.

"We call this life after death. It's a sad but exciting process," she said.

She is due for release in May 2003.

Asked whether she was counting the days until then, she replied in English: "It will be a surprise to people _ I really don't. I cherish every single day here."
I have no doubt there could be reason for Teng to reach a different opinion about Falun Gong than the one she set out with, but if she arrived at her conversion voluntarily is hard to know for sure.

Searching for Falun Gong and Christianity brought this China’s Falun Gong - Christian Research Institute written by Christine Dallman and J. Isamu Yamamoto published on a website that about themselves say:
The Christian Research Institute exists to provide Christians worldwide with carefully researched information and well-reasoned answers that encourage them in their faith and equip them to intelligently represent it to people influenced by ideas and teachings that assault or undermine biblical Christianity and the essentials of the historic Christian faith. In carrying out this mission, CRI’s strategy is expressed by the acronym E-Q-U-I-P:
They claim:
Followers consider his writings sacred, particularly his main text, Zhuan Falun (Spinning the Wheel of Law), which was published in 1994. It is a compilation of Li’s teachings for guiding the cultivation of individuals in “truth of the cosmos.”13 An advertisement for the practice of Falun Dafa claims, “A genuine practitioner will have natural gain without craving for it. All of the cultivation energy and all Law are in the Book, and one will naturally obtain them by reading the Great Law through….No matter how many books of scriptures are published, all are materials of assistance to Zhuan Falun. It is only Zhuan Falun that is genuinely guiding cultivation.”14
[...]
SPECTRUM OF PRACTICE
From those who practice the exercises of Falun Gong merely for stress relief and fitness to those who pore over Li’s Zhuan Falun looking for spiritual guidance and enlightenment, there is a common thread: a desire for self-improvement. One practitioner in New Jersey summed up her attraction to the movement: “It’s a way of upgrading one’s physical condition and moral character. Basically, I would say, it’s a way of life.”27

In China years of atheistic communism have left a spiritual vacuum and the desire for a traditional form of spiritual practice. Perhaps these factors will keep Falun Gong more popular there than in Western culture. Nevertheless, its fundamental appeal seems universal. The positive public face of Falun Gong and the promise of self-improvement are huge selling points in North American culture (e.g., the tremendous market for self-improvement books and videos) that attract the casual, surface practitioner. Li’s philosophy and teaching, however, are intrinsic to the regimen. The exercise instruction recorded and set to background music contains “repeated references to obscure Buddhist deities and one long segment in which students move an imaginary ‘law wheel’ around their bodies. The goal…is to get this wheel, with its purported healing powers, to take up residence in the abdomen.”28
[...]
Convinced of the effectiveness of Falun Gong on one level, one goes readily to the next level of searching out the teachings behind the exercises. One must then take what looks like a great leap of faith. Since true devotees are forbidden to seek out medical treatment, even when seriously ill, their only thread of hope for survival is their faith in Li. Unfortunately, for some, that has not been enough. “Followers are prohibited from consulting doctors when sick,” reports Inside China, quoting a researcher at the Chinese Academy of Sciences. “As a result, some have died, while others have become insane from practicing qigong.”31

Most followers dismiss such stories as false or far-fetched. There are tens of millions, in fact, who would agree with one of the movement’s leaders when he said, “This is the most real practice I’ve found. It’s what I’ve been looking for my entire life.”32

One need go no further than the Internet to find not only Li Hongzhi’s writings (translated into several languages), but also information about getting his video and audio tapes. Radio stations in North America air the reading of Zhuan Falun, and seminar and exercise group announcements are also on the Net. There is no doubt — Falun Gong has arrived.
[...]
There is much more in the article just quoted, but in short it is understandable, why a seemingly Chinese page like Truth on Falun Gong would interpret Falun Gong (along with Scientology) as a cult. In fact Falun Gong could fit the bill for a thread in New Age COINTELPRO
Just because en.minghui.org is a propaganda outlet in the terms of promoting Falun Gong, does not mean that all claims of abuse are false, one would need to look closer at the cases and the evidence they point to.

Back
Top Bottom