Iodine and Potassium Iodide

KJN said:
Joe said:
Have you tried potassium as Laura suggested? For cleansing/cleaning toxins from the gut, have you tried chlorella/spirulina? Do you have any symptoms of candida/yeast overgrowth, however mild?

I take potassium daily, it affects stomach and gut. I have not tried Chlorella/Spirulina. I don't think I have candida now, but it is likely I did before Keto diet.

I will add probiotics (Bacillus coagulans) before bed as suggested with the mag. I muscle tested out for trace minerals but that could be a false test result. I will check for supplemental multi-minerals with peeps here.

Will look up the Chi machine...and see what we have in L Carnitine.

Many thanks. I will post back in a few days having tried these suggestions.

Have you ever done a few rounds of DMSA or similar?

Joe said:
I'd be interested in your experience with the cilantro drops, chlorella and ALA though (you might want to try R-ALA).

FWIW, I've read a post recently somewhere by a guy who tried both ALA and R-ALA, each for a longer time, and he concluded based on experience that while R-ALA is more potent, it's also more expensive, and if you take higher doses of regular ALA to match the price of R-ALA, the effect seemed to be about the same. So if you can't get R-ALA, taking higher doses of the regular one should do the trick.

Since ALA is a combination of L-ALA and R-ALA, with R-ALA being the more potent component, this makes sense.

It's kind of like the different percentages of Lugol's solution, I guess. 1 drop of 15% or 3 drops of 5%, same effect, and probably a similar price. (Though the prices for this seem to vary a lot.)

m said:
Here's a video that shows how it works when using it. I wonder if that'd help people who sit at a desk all day, some people get leg pains from too much use, I get them from not enough! I might give it a try.

Is some exercise not at all an option?! Perhaps getting up every hour or so and doing round of squats.
Cant you not structure your day in a way that involves some brisk walk outside?

https://youtu.be/uiKg6JfS658

Apparently even exercise is not sufficent to counteract all corrosive effects of prolonged sitting. Have you considered standing desk?

there are some great and inexpensive solutions, like this one:
_http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/09/ikea-standing-desk-hack_n_7033432.html

No, for some people, exercise is not an option, nor is standing at a desk.

I'm wondering now if the peeps having troubles ought to generally try adding L-carnitine and Co-Q-10 to keep the system from getting overburdened?

Laura said:
Yeah, the pure potassium seems to be what is needed. And then, the supplemental multi-minerals and trace minerals.

Also very important to take probiotics at night just before bed with the magnesium. Bacillus coagulans.

I was just updating myself with this thread and wanted to add to your comment Laura.
I know that you definitely meant potassium supplement but just in case - Never ever try to take PURE potassium since it`ll harm you in a bad way. Pure potassium in an elemental form is very reactive and most probably will burst in flames if contacted with water , also creating very caustic potassium hydroxide.

Laura said:
Merci Laura pour vos prescriptions que je vais suivre, j'ai répondu en italique rose à vos indications...
Laura thank you for your requirements I will follow, I answered in pink italics your information ...

PERLOU said:
Thank you for all your shares and informative exchanges ...
I take every day for over a month now my treatment:
• 12% Lugol at 3am in a glass of water and vinegar

I know a couple of people are doing it, but I would hesitate to put anything with the iodine.
Bien je vais prendre iodine sans vinaigre pour masquer le gout... Although I'll take iodine without vinegar to mask the taste ...

PERLOU said:
• ½ teaspoon of Celtic sea salt in a glass of water at sunrise
• 1 tablet Vitamin B3 complex at breakfast
• 1 teaspoon Vitamin C in a glass of water at breakfast

You should be doing the vitamin C in the afternoon well away from the other supplements and iodine.
Donc je prendrai la Vitamine C avec le magnésium au coucher ?... So I take Vitamin C with magnesium at bedtime? ...

PERLOU said:
• 2 tablespoons Glycine in my tea for sweet breakfast

I don't know where you got the two tablespoons, (soup spoon) but you are only supposed to be taking 5 grams 3 times a day with 1000 mg of NAC. 5 grams is what is called a SCANT teaspoon.
Non, je ne prends pas 2 cuillères à soupe de Glycine mais deux cuillères à café pour sucré mon thé donc 1 seule petite cuillère à café serait suffisante ?...
No, I do not take 2 tablespoons Glycine but two teaspoons sugar for my tea so only one small teaspoon would be enough? ...

Perlou,

La vitamin C -> dans l'après-midi (in the afternoon)
Le magnésium -> au coucher (at bedtime)
Glycine -> une petite cuillère à thé 3 fois par jour avec du thé (one small teaspoon 3 times daily with tea)
Évite le sucre (avoid sugar)

PERLOU said:
Although I'll take iodine without vinegar to mask the taste ...

If you are only taking a few drops in a small amount of water, you shouldn't need to mask the taste. In fact, the vinegar tastes worse than the diluted iodine!

You should be doing the vitamin C in the afternoon well away from the other supplements and iodine.
Donc je prendrai la Vitamine C avec le magnésium au coucher ?... So I take Vitamin C with magnesium at bedtime? ...

No, that's not what I said. Vitamin c in the afternoon, magnesium and probiotics just a half hour or so before bed.

Afternoon means about 3 pm, or 15:00 as the French count hours. Bed time is usually 10 or 11 pm, i.e. 22:00 or 23:00.

PERLOU said:
• 2 tablespoons Glycine in my tea for sweet breakfast

I don't know where you got the two tablespoons, (soup spoon) but you are only supposed to be taking 5 grams 3 times a day with 1000 mg of NAC. 5 grams is what is called a SCANT teaspoon.

No, I do not take 2 tablespoons Glycine but two teaspoons sugar for my tea so only one small teaspoon would be enough? ...[/i][/size][/color]

If you are taking sugar in your tea, forget about the glycine because the sugar cancels the beneficial effects of the glycine.

luc said:
I feel as if my emotions are less 'filtered', like I can see more clearly.
Even when I dissociate, it's as if a part of myself, a part of my mind knows what's going on and keeps me connected to reality.

Hi luc,

Lately, I find similar emotions coursing through within as well. As I ponder, this particular comment from C's came to mind:

A...Quite close. Now, pay attention! What if:
One on 2nd density perceives objects due to their similarity.
One on 3rd density perceives objects due to their difference, and one on
4th density perceives objects in terms of their own union with all of them.

We all MAY indeed be getting glimpses of this new reality. Or something else entirely. I really don't know. My own attitude is not to pre-judge, not to anticipate. But to keep an open mind as best I can. And to remain highly sensitive to any changes -- without being fearful.

FWIW.

Joe said:
KJN said:
Joe said:
Have you tried potassium as Laura suggested? For cleansing/cleaning toxins from the gut, have you tried chlorella/spirulina? Do you have any symptoms of candida/yeast overgrowth, however mild?

I take potassium daily, it affects stomach and gut. I have not tried Chlorella/Spirulina. I don't think I have candida now, but it is likely I did before Keto diet.

I will add probiotics (Bacillus coagulans) before bed as suggested with the mag. I muscle tested out for trace minerals but that could be a false test result. I will check for supplemental multi-minerals with peeps here.

Will look up the Chi machine...and see what we have in L Carnitine.

Many thanks. I will post back in a few days having tried these suggestions.

Have you ever done a few rounds of DMSA or similar?

fwiw having had major problems with cramping in the past, I'll add my 2 cents.
Too much magnesium caused cramps, as well as too little (this was rare). Vit B1 seems to stop magnesium causing cramps.
Potassium (potassium glycinate seems superior to potassium citrate for me) almost always fixed it.
Salt water also helps, and dehydration makes it worse.
Taurine helps a lot, as well as things that calm the nervous system and protect blood vessels.
Sugar/carbs and xylitiol in too high a quantity cause cramps, vit C counters this.
Stress and/or gut problems (eating the wrong thing/at the wrong time, or even a change of gut flora from pro-biotics) cause cramps, potassium helps here. As well as possible digestive (stomach acid) support.
Carnitine is important for energy, but never seemed to have an effect on cramping for me.

Having started a round of DMSA yesterday I noticed the usual places I get cramps where starting to flare up, but they never actually cramped - they just felt saw.
So it's possible heavy metals (and vascular/nerve damage) are causing the cramping.

Yesterday I reintroduced the iodine. During the day I was fine, but during the night the same thing happened as in the third week of my previous taking of iodine. I got a hot flashes and my heart was beating very fast so I couldn’t fall asleep. I tried the pipe breathing which sometimes helps a lot but this time it wouldn’t. After that I was waiting for my heart to slow down because sometimes it does spontaneously but this time it wouldn’t.

But instead of taking a beta-block, which I take only in the morning, I wanted to try something else and I remembered that the C’s said that we should take more salt water and decided to try that. What is interesting is that just a couple of minutes later my heart rate stabilized and I was able to fall asleep with no problem. If that helped so much I guess then that it was a detox reaction and not a symptom of hyperthyroidism? I never had a problem with thyroid.

BTW I noticed that the red label on my Lugol’s bottle became very dark. Does that mean that iodine went through the bottle? If so is it still safe to drink? The bottle has a number 1 on the bottom which means that it is a PET plastics.

I found this:

iodine is fairly reactive element---though not as strong as it's family members--chlorine and fluorine-------it is an oxidizing agent and will react with the plastic molecules on the interior surface of the container. eventually the plastic container will discolour.
if you keep iodine(i'm assuming you are talking about solid iodine since you did not specify) in a plastic bag the gas particles will more than likely diffuse out of the bag as the bag is permeable to the iodine gas as it sublimates from the solid state. then thay will stain everything nearby as iodine performs its hugry task of searching for electrons from any source.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090920184102AAPQnmb

FWIW, I've had cramps in my calves on and off after going into ketosis. Haven't been able to figure out exactly what helps when. But, as was suggested, magnesium, potassium, minerals in general, and (sea) salt water, have helped at different times. I hated waking up with a calf cramp (it almost always happened at the time of waking). NOT a good feeling. Hasn't happened in a while. Oh, also agree that standing up right away or flexing the foot against the bed post is the fastest way to rid the cramp.

Persej said:
Yesterday I reintroduced the iodine. During the day I was fine, but during the night the same thing happened as in the third week of my previous taking of iodine. I got a hot flashes and my heart was beating very fast so I couldn’t fall asleep. I tried the pipe breathing which sometimes helps a lot but this time it wouldn’t. After that I was waiting for my heart to slow down because sometimes it does spontaneously but this time it wouldn’t.

But instead of taking a beta-block, which I take only in the morning, I wanted to try something else and I remembered that the C’s said that we should take more salt water and decided to try that. What is interesting is that just a couple of minutes later my heart rate stabilized and I was able to fall asleep with no problem. If that helped so much I guess then that it was a detox reaction and not a symptom of hyperthyroidism? I never had a problem with thyroid.

BTW I noticed that the red label on my Lugol’s bottle became very dark. Does that mean that iodine went through the bottle? If so is it still safe to drink? The bottle has a number 1 on the bottom which means that it is a PET plastics.

I found this:

iodine is fairly reactive element---though not as strong as it's family members--chlorine and fluorine-------it is an oxidizing agent and will react with the plastic molecules on the interior surface of the container. eventually the plastic container will discolour.
if you keep iodine(i'm assuming you are talking about solid iodine since you did not specify) in a plastic bag the gas particles will more than likely diffuse out of the bag as the bag is permeable to the iodine gas as it sublimates from the solid state. then thay will stain everything nearby as iodine performs its hugry task of searching for electrons from any source.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090920184102AAPQnmb

Hard to say if the improvement of the heart rate was detoxing/chelating of halogens or fixing an electrolyte imbalance - maybe both.

I would keep iodine in a plastic bottle. Can you transfer it to a dark glass bottle?

It seems that cramps, nervousness and other related symptoms are due mostly to detox. It takes some experimenting with the minerals, salt water, chelating agents... but symptoms do seem to be manageable.

Carnitine has been helpful for people within the context of ketoadaptation. It also seems that it calms down symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Here are some of the mainstream indications for carnitine:

_http://www.msdmanuals.com/professional/nutritional-disorders/undernutrition/carnitine-deficiency

Causes of carnitine deficiency include the following:

Inadequate intake (eg, due to fad diets, lack of access, or long-term TPN)

Inability to metabolize carnitine due to enzyme deficiencies (eg, carnitine palmitoyltransferase deficiency, methylmalonicaciduria, propionicacidemia, isovalericacidemia)

Decreased endogenous synthesis of carnitine due to a severe liver disorder

Excess loss of carnitine due to diarrhea, diuresis, or hemodialysis

A hereditary disorder in which carnitine leaks from renal tubules

Increased requirements for carnitine when ketosis is present or demand for fat oxidation is high (eg, during a critical illness such as sepsis or major burns; after major surgery of the GI tract)

Decreased muscle carnitine levels due to mitochondrial impairment (eg, due to use of zidovudine)

Use of valproate

The deficiency may be generalized (systemic) or may affect mainly muscle (myopathic).

_http://www.heartmdinstitute.com/nutrition/supplements/l-carnitine/68-l-carnitine

Like coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), L-carnitine is also considered an antioxidant that protects your heart and blood vessels from oxidative stress that can lead to CAD. It helps prevent damage from toxic by-products which are generated through the metabolism of fats. As a vasodilator, L-carnitine opens blood vessels and increases blood flow to your heart, muscles and other tissues, resulting in better overall oxygen use by your body.

As a key nutrient for cardiac tissue, L-carnitine can serve as adjunctive treatment for conditions like angina, congestive heart failure (CHF), ventricular arrhythmia, and cholesterol disorders. It may be safely and effectively taken in combination with beta-blockers, ACE inhibitors, and other cardiac drugs for a more full-spectrum approach to symptom relief.

Health professionals can measure levels of L-carnitine in the blood to determine whether deficiency is at issue. Unfortunately, the body’s need for L-carnitine becomes most obvious in situations like heart disease, where the heart is energy-starved and may also lack CoQ10 and D-ribose. L-carnitine deficiency is also associated with renal insufficiency, lipid metabolic disorders and mitochondrial disorders.

Supplementation with L-carnitine is generally recommended for vegetarians or others who don’t get enough nutrients in their diets from which to synthesize it, and people over the age of forty. People taking pharmaceutical drugs like anticonvulsants, or patients with liver disease, kidney disease, or genetic defects related to L-carnitine metabolism may also lack L-carnitine. Classified as myopathic (reduced skeletal muscle concentrations) or systemic, L-carnitine deficiencies may respectively manifest through overt symptoms such as muscle cramps, muscle fatigue, and muscle pain following exercise, or subtle systemic symptoms such as impaired ventricular function.

L-carnitine is not very bioavailable. As there are various forms of L-carnitine, supplementation with a broad-spectrum product that contains L-carnitine fumarate, acetyl-L-carnitine, and propionyl-L-carnitine is the optimal choice. Because L-carnitine doesn’t get fully absorbed when taken orally, ingesting it in smaller doses 3 times per day on an empty stomach is the preferred method; I recommend starting with a low dose, then gradually increasing it until a desired effect is achieved:

400 – 800 mg daily (especially for vegetarians) to prevent deficiency;
500 -1,000 mg two-to-three times daily if you have coronary artery disease or angina;
1 – 2 grams (sometimes up to 3 grams) daily for arrhythmia; and
2 – 4 grams daily for congestive heart failure or following a heart attack.

If there are truly hyperthyroidism symptoms that cannot be justified by heavy metal detox, L-carnitine might help:

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15591013

In the randomized trial, we showed that 2 and 4 grams per day of oral L-carnitine are capable of reversing hyperthyroid symptoms (and biochemical changes in the hyperthyroid direction) as well as preventing (or minimizing) the appearance of hyperthyroid symptoms (or biochemical changes in the hyperthyroid direction).

Persej said:

Sounds like detox, and the salt water helping, since it flushes toxins from the body, fits also.

Back
Top Bottom