Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Seppo Ilmarinen said:
Last friday i woke up with flu-like symptoms. I had a sore throat and a runny nose. I had stayed up more late than usually, so i suspect my immune system was weakened by that. On that week i had used 8mg lugol's per day. When the symptoms started, i tried bigger doses: next day (last saturday) i took 80mg, but few hours later my throat started to get really sore and aching. Sunday i took 40mg with no changes in condition, so i decided to put the iodine aside, because i started to get little worried that my condition was caused by iodine/detox. So i haven't used iodine at all during this week. I feel better but haven't fully recovered yet. My throat was little sore at morning. I still have runny nose. Now i'm more certain that i have viral/bacterial infection, so i'll try taking iodine again with my normal doses of 1-2 drops, 8-16mg.

Hi Seppo, I checked your posts and couldn't see any mention of you taking the co-factors?
Are you taking selenium, B2 and niacinamide?
The mention of an aching throat on such a high dose suggests you are stressing your thyroid out, which would make sense if you are not taking things like selenium.

You can get flu like symptoms from detox too. fwiw

genero81 said:
Thing is, psoriasis is getting worse, like critters are being energized. I'm thinking higher doses will be needed but I need to get some heavy metal detoxing done first so I can tolerate it. Anyway, started back at 8 drops today.

Good idea, you might find that HM detox will alleviate the psoriasis.

Joe said:
genero81 said:
Thing is, psoriasis is getting worse, like critters are being energized. I'm thinking higher doses will be needed but I need to get some heavy metal detoxing done first so I can tolerate it. Anyway, started back at 8 drops today.

Yeah, and I've never actually done a HM detox before. Need to start researching that. Thanks

Gaby said:
I think that those who quit smoking should not worry about developing hypothyroidism just as long as they are getting iodine ;)

Just had a thought based on the above. Usually it is said that people gain weight after quitting smoking. And it is usually being explained as metabolism becoming slower than with regular inhalation of nicotine. It is probably true and valid, since it activates acetylcholine, but the connection with developing hypothyroidism made me wonder if maybe thyroid plays some role in it as well. fwiw.

RedFox said:
Hi Seppo, I checked your posts and couldn't see any mention of you taking the co-factors?
The mention of an aching throat on such a high dose suggests you are stressing your thyroid out, which would make sense if you are not taking things like selenium.

I take co-factors, but not every time (usually few times a week), because i don't have any condition. I did took them with those high doses though. My dad has hypothyroidism, which i could have hereditary tendency, so maybe i should take co-factors more often? I've been taking lugols 8-16mg over month now, with pulse dosing.

Keit said:
Just had a thought based on the above. Usually it is said that people gain weight after quitting smoking. And it is usually being explained as metabolism becoming slower than with regular inhalation of nicotine. It is probably true and valid, since it activates acetylcholine, but the connection with developing hypothyroidism made me wonder if maybe thyroid plays some role in it as well. fwiw.

Yeah, it is interesting. The doc who passed me that paper was the head of Endocrinology and he was explaining the weight gain in terms of thyroid problems. He was amazed as to how true the paper seemed to be. It was almost invariably the following: Quit smoking ---> weight gain and hypothyroidism within 2 years. He said that ex-smokers will easily gain 10 kilos.

I even conducted a private survey: I asked patients who came with hypothyroidism to the Endocrinology consultation if they smoked and if not, when did they stopped. Every single person said that they didn't smoked and they stopped somewhere along the line of the last year or more. :shock:

RedFox said:
Seppo Ilmarinen said:
Last friday i woke up with flu-like symptoms. I had a sore throat and a runny nose. I had stayed up more late than usually, so i suspect my immune system was weakened by that. On that week i had used 8mg lugol's per day. When the symptoms started, i tried bigger doses: next day (last saturday) i took 80mg, but few hours later my throat started to get really sore and aching. Sunday i took 40mg with no changes in condition, so i decided to put the iodine aside, because i started to get little worried that my condition was caused by iodine/detox. So i haven't used iodine at all during this week. I feel better but haven't fully recovered yet. My throat was little sore at morning. I still have runny nose. Now i'm more certain that i have viral/bacterial infection, so i'll try taking iodine again with my normal doses of 1-2 drops, 8-16mg.

I got ill twice from the iodine, started off as a sore throat. I took it as a sign to discontinue until the symptoms passed. Same as you, cold symptoms. I kept dropping my dosage down, currently down to 20mg... Fwiw lemon and ginger tea sometimes helped my throat!

Currently suffering from a bad cold, even after having a week off iodine. Back on it today to try and help it on its way. Sick of this body!

Whilst you're not taking the iodine, try more Vit C, more salt water etc.
...I think you should take the cofactors every time you have the iodine.

All of ya'll getting colds take note: it does seem to be part of the detoxing process. So be sure to take plenty of NAC and Guaifenesin to loosen and expel the phlegm which is prolly loaded with metals and such.

Joe said:
genero81 said:

If you're eating nuts (including coconut or chocolate) you may want to stop eating that stuff, it can cause skin problems similar to eczema depending on your body's tolerance for it - not sure about psoriasis though, I'd guess that nuts would make that flare up too.

genero81 said:
Joe said:
genero81 said:

Yeah, and I've never actually done a HM detox before. Need to start researching that. Thanks

Get yourself some DMSA. The rest you probably already have. :D

Seppo Ilmarinen said:
RedFox said:

I take co-factors, but not every time (usually few times a week), because i don't have any condition. I did took them with those high doses though. My dad has hypothyroidism, which i could have hereditary tendency, so maybe i should take co-factors more often? I've been taking lugols 8-16mg over month now, with pulse dosing.

I've been taking Lugol's for 6 weeks now, and I also just recently developed a sore throat and a runny nose! It kind'a comes and goes, some moments it's gone, and then suddenly there comes a strong coughing and runny-nose episode. To me so far, this is child's play compared to the gloominess and depression that took me by surprise during the first 3-4 weeks. Have you had any of that, Seppo?

Plus all the cofactors (and on occasional non-iodine days EDTA), I've also started taking some chlorella tablets every now and then. I could be imagining, but the chlorella does seem to help with getting stuff out. Could be worth trying.

Aragorn said:
I've been taking Lugol's for 6 weeks now, and I also just recently developed a sore throat and a runny nose! It kind'a comes and goes, some moments it's gone, and then suddenly there comes a strong coughing and runny-nose episode. To me so far, this is child's play compared to the gloominess and depression that took me by surprise during the first 3-4 weeks. Have you had any of that, Seppo?

Plus all the cofactors (and on occasional non-iodine days EDTA), I've also started taking some chlorella tablets every now and then. I could be imagining, but the chlorella does seem to help with getting stuff out. Could be worth trying.

Yes, especially during the first week, when i used higher doses. I had depressive thoughts and i found harder to execute normal routine. After that i realized to take it easier which helped. I do still notice on some occasions that the detoxing is affecting my emotions, but not in an overwhelming way. I don't know have anyone else noticed for themselves, but for me cold shower/swim helps enormously with gloomy mood and minor detox symptoms.

Aragorn said:
I've also started taking some chlorella tablets every now and then. I could be imagining, but the chlorella does seem to help with getting stuff out. Could be worth trying.

I've been taking 3g of Chlorella per day for years and years. But if the HM is bound in the body somewhere, then maybe it doesn't do anything.

I've gradually, over a few weeks, gone from 5mg to as much as 80 mg of iodine per day, with all the other cofactors plus my existing supplementation and dietary regimen.

So far my only physical symptoms are mild, occasional runny nose, and a little irregularity in both bowel and urinary elimination, all of which is barely noticeable.

The biggy for me has been depression. I had an episode last night that was really troubling. And also what Joe said about not being able to dissociate rings true, such that a little thing, some personal interaction or recalling an old memory, snowballed and triggered a major episode of depression.

I'm really curious about bromide toxicity and what effects it may be having, as I have a hot tub and use bromine sanitizer. I used to use a salt-water system, but got a new tub and would have voided the warranty. I'll go back to salt-water, but in the mean time I'm staying out of the hot tub.

ge0m0 said:
Aragorn said:
I've also started taking some chlorella tablets every now and then. I could be imagining, but the chlorella does seem to help with getting stuff out. Could be worth trying.

I've been taking 3g of Chlorella per day for years and years. But if the HM is bound in the body somewhere, then maybe it doesn't do anything.

I've gradually, over a few weeks, gone from 5mg to as much as 80 mg of iodine per day, with all the other cofactors plus my existing supplementation and dietary regimen.

So far my only physical symptoms are mild, occasional runny nose, and a little irregularity in both bowel and urinary elimination, all of which is barely noticeable.

The biggy for me has been depression. I had an episode last night that was really troubling. And also what Joe said about not being able to dissociate rings true, such that a little thing, some personal interaction or recalling an old memory, snowballed and triggered a major episode of depression.

I'm really curious about bromide toxicity and what effects it may be having, as I have a hot tub and use bromine sanitizer. I used to use a salt-water system, but got a new tub and would have voided the warranty. I'll go back to salt-water, but in the mean time I'm staying out of the hot tub.

hi ge0m0,

Switching back to salt for your hot tub or using another sanitizer would be good. Chlorine and bromine are in the halogen family and would definitely affect your iodine levels. It would likely be worse in a hot tub when your pores are open. You might research Ultraviolet sanitizers. Those will kill just about any microorganism.

As far as your symptoms, you may want to take a few days to a week off of the iodine, do the salt-loading, co-factors and minerals (magnesium, potassium and trace minerals) to clear up the symptoms you are having. They can build up rather quickly and snowball on you. Take it slow. :)

Back
Top Bottom