Recommended Books: Discussion

Is there a special order in which the books should be read? I am asking because there are some available in german and I am wondering whether to first read everything available in my native language or begin to learn english better by following a given order. For example straight going down the list from above or just reading the first 2 of each category before reading the others?

Stranger said:
Is there a special order in which the books should be read? I am asking because there are some available in german and I am wondering whether to first read everything available in my native language or begin to learn english better by following a given order. For example straight going down the list from above or just reading the first 2 of each category before reading the others?

can you tell me the names of the german books and the authors ?

books from the recommended books list available in german: (others marked as bright grey)

Health and Diet

The Ultra Mind Solution - Mark Hyman
Detoxification and Healing: The Key to Optimal Health" - Sidney MacDonald Baker
Detoxify or Die - Sherry Rogers
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Autoimmune Disorders - Stephen B. Edelson and Deborah Mitchell
Treating and Beating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Rodger Murphree

Narcissism "Big Five"

Myth of Sanity - Martha Stout
The Narcissistic Family - Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman and Robert M. Pressman
Trapped in the Mirror - Elan Golomb
Unholy Hungers - Barbara E. Hort

Wölfe im Schafspelz - George K. Simon (In Sheep's Clothing)

Psychopathy

Der Soziopath von nebenan - Martha Stout (The Sociopath Next Door)
Women Who Love Psychopaths - Sandra Brown
Menschenschinder oder Manager: Psychopathen bei der Arbeit - Paul Babiak und Robert D. Hare (Snakes in Suits)
Gewissenlos. Die Psychopathen unter uns - Robert D. Hare (Without Conscience)
The Mask of Sanity - Hervey Cleckley
Politische Ponerologie - Andrzej Lobaczewski (Political Ponerology)

Other Psychology

Blink!: Die Macht des Moments - Malcolm Gladwell (Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking)
How to Spot a Dangerous Man - Sandra Brown
Dunkle Triebe: Wie Sexualtäter denken und ihre Taten planen - Anna Salter (Predators)
Operators and Things - Barbara O'Brien
Das Drama des begabten Kindes und die Suche nach dem wahren Selbst - Alice Miller (Drama of the Gifted Child)
In Broad Daylight - Harry N. MacLean
Moleküle der Gefühle: Körper, Geist und Emotionen - Candace Pert (Molecules of Emotion)
Unsere Gene - Eine Gebrauchsanleitung für ein besseres Leben - Terry Burnham und Jay Phelan (Mean Genes)

Fourth Way

Die Welle 1-8 - Laura Knight-Jadczyk (The Wave)
Auf der Suche nach dem Wunderbaren - P.D. Ouspensky (In Search of the Miraculous)
Gnosis - Boris Mouravieff
Begegnungen mit bemerkenswerten Menschen - G.I. Gurdjieff (Meetings with Remarkable Men)
Das Leben ist nur dann wirklich wenn ' ich bin' - G.I. Gurdjieff (Life is Real Only Then, when "I am")
Tertium Organum - Der Dritte Kanon des Denkens - P.D. Ouspensky (Tertium Organum)
Struggle of the Magicians - William Patterson

Other Esoterica

The Sufi Path of Knowledge - William Chittick
Das Wirken der Unendlichkeit - Carlos Castaneda (The Active Side of Infinity)
Das Feuer von innen - Carlos Castaneda (The Fire From Within)
Fulcanelli - Patrick Riviere
Mysterium der Kathedralen: Und die esoterische Deutung der hemetischen Symbole des Großen Werks - Fulcanelli (Mystery of the Cathedrals)
Wohnstätten der Adepten - Fulcanelli (Dwellings of the Philosophers)

Politics and Pathocracy

911: The Ultimate Truth - Laura Knight-Jadczyk and Joe Quinn
Controversy of Zion - Douglas Reed
Secret Team - Fletcher Prouty

JFK: Der CIA, der Vietnamkrieg und der Mord an John F. Kennedy - Fletcher Prouty (JFK)
Die Schock-Strategie: Der Aufstieg des Katastrophen-Kapitalismus - Naomi Klein (Shock Doctrine)
Von Bismarck zu Hitler: Ein Rückblick - Sebastian Haffner (Defying Hitler)
Die Protokolle von Zion (Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion)
The New Pearl Harbour - David Ray Griffin
Omissions and Distortions - David Ray Griffin
Die Insider, Bd1 u. Bd2 - Gary Allen (None Dare Call it Conspiracy)

Hidden History

Secret History of the World - Laura Knight-Jadczyk
Cosmic Winter - Victor Clube and Bill Napier
Cosmic Serpent - Victor Clube and Bill Napier
From Exodus to Arthur - Michael Baillie
New Light on the Black Death - Michael Baillie
Where Troy Once Stood - Iman Wilkens
The Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes - Richard Firestone, Allen West, Simon Warwick-Smith

Bible History

The Origins of Biblical Israel - Philip Davies
History and Ideology in Ancient Israel - Giovanni Garbini
The Mythic Past - Thomas L. Thompson
The Messiah Myth - Thomas L. Thompson

Keine Posaunen vor Jericho: Die archäologische Wahrheit über die Bibel - Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman (The Bible Unearthed)
David und Salomo: Archäologen entschlüsseln einen Mythos - Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman (David and Solomon)
The Lost Gospel - Burton Mack
A Myth of Innocence - Burton Mack

UFOs and Aliens

UFOs and the National Security State - Richard Dolan
Operation Trojan Horse - John Keel
The Eighth Tower - John Keel
The Stargate Conspiracy - Picknet and Prince

Die Götter von Eden - William Bramley (Gods of Eden)

Esotericism and Parapsychology (from Spirit Board thread)

Schamanismus und archaische Ekstasetechnik - Mircea Eliade (Shamanism)
Kosmos und Geschichte: Der Mythos der Ewigen Wiederkehr - Mircea Eliade (Cosmos and History)
Das Heilige und das Profane: Vom Wesen des Religiösen - Mircea Eliade (The Sacred and the Profane)
Die Vielfalt religiöser Erfahrung: Eine Studie über die menschliche Natur - William James (Varieties of Religious Experience)
The Afterdeath Journal of an American Philosopher - Jane Roberts (don't know if exactly this was translated, but there are many german JR books available)
Mystische Nächte oder der Schlüssel zu den Geheimnissen des Wunderbaren - Karl Von Eckartshausen (Magic: The Principles of Higher Knowledge) I am not sure, if it is the same book. But he was a german author, so it has to be available in german
Tibet Bd. 1 oder 2 - Theodor Illion (Darkness over Tibet)
The Darkened Room - Alex Owen
Was ist Spiritismus?: Die neue Offenbarung - Arthur Conan Doyle (The History of Spiritualism)
Das Buch der Medien - Grundsätze der spiritistischen Lehre - Allen Kardec (Book on Mediums)
Many Voices: The Autobiography of a Medium - Eileen J. Garrett
Deviance and Moral Boundaries - Nachman Ben-Yehuda
Occult and Scientific Mentalities in the Renaissance - Brian Vickers (editor)
The Hermetic Brotherhood of Luxor - Joscelyn Godwin
The Secret Teachings of All Ages - Manly Hall

Das Leben zwischen den Leben. Ein Forschungsbericht aus der Welt jenseits unserer physischen Existenz - Joel L. Whitton (Life Between Life)
Prophecy in Our Time - Martin Ebon
Evidence Of Survival After Death - Sir William F. Barrett and James H. Hyslop

Reinkarnation: Der Mensch im Wandel von Tod und Wiedergeburt - Ian Stevenson (Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation)
Power of the Pendulum - T.C. Lethbridge
Encyclopaedia of Psychic Science - Nandor Fodor
Haunted People: The Story Of The Poltergeist Down The Centuries - Hereward Carrington and Nandor Fodor
The Haunted Mind - Nandor Fodor
Hostage to the Devil - Malachi Martin
Unleashed: Of Poltergeists and Murder: The Curious Story of Tina Resch - by William Roll and Valerie Storey

Optional

Boten des Neuen Morgens. Lehren von den Plejaden - Barbara Marciniak (Bringers of the Dawn)
The Ra Material - Carla Rueckert, Don Elkins, and Jim McCarty
The C's Transcripts - Laura Knight-Jadczyk, et al

Die Lehren des Don Juan (Serie) - Carlos Castaneda (The Teachings of Don Juan series)
Beelzebubs Erzählungen für seinen Enkel, 3 Bände - G.I. Gurdjieff (Beelzebub's Tales to His Grandson)
Das Nullpunkt-Feld: Auf der Suche nach der kosmischen Ur-Energie - Lynne McTaggart (The Field)
Als Gott eine Frau war. Die Geschichte der Ur- Religion unserer Kulturen - Merlin Stone (When God Was a Woman)
Egypt, Canaan and Israel in Ancient Times - Donald Redford
The Case for the UFO - Morris K. Jessup

Die Bücher von Charles Fort (Das Buch der Verdammten, DA!, Wilde Talente, Neuland)
Welten im Zusammenstoß - Immanuel Velikovsky (Worlds in Collision)
The Neandertal Enigma - James Shreeve
Shattering the Myths of Darwinism - Richard Milton

Kelch & Schwert, Unsere Geschichte, unsere Zukunft - Riane Eisler (The Chalice and the Blade)
Verbotene Archäologie - Michael Cremo (The Hidden History of the Human Race)
Invisible Residents - Ivan T. Sanderson
Programmed to Kill: The Politics of Serial Murder - Dave McGowan
Understanding the F-Word - Dave McGowan

Der Heros in tausend Gestalten - Joseph Campbell (The Hero With a Thousand Faces)
The Crack in the Cosmic Egg - Joseph Chilton Pearce
Psychology of Intelligence Analysis - Richards J. Heuer, Jr.

Wow, I am astonished! 49 of 113 books are also available in german language.
By the way, there are a few misspellings in the original list both in books and authors names, so sometimes it was not easy to find the author.

Thanks for the list stranger!

Stranger said:

They are placed in a certain order (from very important to less important so to speak, in each category), when I remember it correctly. To the question itself, it depends in what you are interested in and what could be helpful in your personal lessons.

And some books are pretty difficult to get too and alas very expensive, recently I saw that the German version of "snakes in suites" is not printed anymore. :(

You're welcome! :)

I just finished the complete list.

Legolas said:
They are placed in a certain order (from very important to less important so to speak, in each category), when I remember it correctly. To the question itself, it depends in what you are interested in and what could be helpful in your personal lessons.

Yes, thats the way I would do it and did it in the past (Read, what I am interested in). But is is necessary to begin with the books on top of each list? If they are more important it seems to me that the answer has to be "yes".

I am asking because it is not exactly clear for me how to understand the following discussion which evolved earlier in this thread:

Laura said:
Thorbiorn said:
When Laura writes “that everything isn't exactly for everybody”, this goes, in my honest opinion, for other books on the reading list as well. Having most of them, I know some of them are and will be read much less intensively than Beelzebub’s Tales, while there will be books I shall need for further understanding and clarification, which are not on the list.

Nemo said:
I absolutely agree! The same could probably be applied to the suggested sequence in which said books should be read. If I knew I would suffer from amnesia soon, I`d suggest to myself to read
the recommended books in a different order more approbriate to my mentality and "pre-existing knowledge"( or better stated, lack of).

Like Anart sez, that's a slippery slope.

Actually, the reading list I created is based on long observation of people in our groups and on the forum as well as from the emails people write to me. Those books are the ones best suited to convey many of the concepts Gurdjieff talks about in more modern terms and often with reference to physiology so that you really understand how things are in your machine, and why.

I also put the MOST ESSENTIAL FOR EVERYONE volumes at the top of the list. If you don't grok the concepts in those first half dozen or so books, NOTHING ELSE WILL MAKE SENSE!

Sorry for shouting there, but I really want to emphasize this to everyone.

Beelzebub's Tales is on the reading list, but it's not at the top.

Stranger said:
Yes, thats the way I would do it and did it in the past (Read, what I am interested in). But is is necessary to begin with the books on top of each list? If they are more important it seems to me that the answer has to be "yes".

I see it this way, too.

and again thank you for the list !

Here is a post from Laura earlier in the thread on this topic: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=4718.msg86761;topicseen#msg86761

Hmmm... I see the problem. I thought I had listed the books here on the forum the way I had done them for QFS - in a particular order. Obviously, I didn't. Or if I did, I can't find where I did it.

So, maybe we should hear from some of you who have read most or all of them: what order do you think is the best one?

I tend to think that the ones that explain some of the most basic things that are part of everyone's make-up are where one should star. Like: "Myth of Sanity," first and then "The Narcissistic Family." I think that about everyone can relate to what is written about there.

Then, "Trapped in the Mirror" and "Unholy Hungers."

Then, "In Sheep's Clothing" and "Without Conscience."

Then, "Mask of Sanity" and "In Search of the Miraculous."

Then, "Political Ponerology."

That is what I would consider to be the absolutely essential list for everyone who has any desire to sort themselves out.

Sorting yourself out is one thing, seeking to become a "receiver" and/or teacher is something else. That's not a role for everyone, and that is what the list for experimenting with a Ouija board is for - and that's a SHORT list above!

If you look into these things deeply, receiver/teachers/shamans spent 20 years or more training, learning everything they could about their world and everything in it before they dared to step into another world.

should we include strangers list of books into a new topic ?
for example called "Recommended Books from the QFS in german language" or something like that ?
or should we merge it into the first post ?

[quote author=Legolas]They are placed in a certain order (from very important to less important so to speak, in each category), when I remember it correctly. To the question itself, it depends in what you are interested in and what could be helpful in your personal lessons.[/quote]

Relying on Laura's statement, this doesn't seem to be the case.

When Thorbiorn writes: "...while there will be books I shall need for further understanding and clarification, which are not on the list."

Laura answered:

[quote author=Laura]Like Anart sez, that's a slippery slope.
Actually, the reading list I created is based on long observation of people in our groups and on the forum as well as from the emails people write to me. Those books are the ones best suited to convey many of the concepts Gurdjieff talks about in more modern terms and often with reference to physiology so that you really understand how things are in your machine, and why.

I also put the MOST ESSENTIAL FOR EVERYONE volumes at the top of the list. If you don't grok the concepts in those first half dozen or so books, NOTHING ELSE WILL MAKE SENSE![/quote]

So I guess it isn't recommendend to read other books while reading those of the book list? Laura, did you address the whole current list, when emphazising the most essential books in the following post or were there fewer books on the list back then?

[quote author=Laura]
I tend to think that the ones that explain some of the most basic things that are part of everyone's make-up are where one should star. Like: "Myth of Sanity," first and then "The Narcissistic Family." I think that about everyone can relate to what is written about there.

Then, "Trapped in the Mirror" and "Unholy Hungers."

Then, "In Sheep's Clothing" and "Without Conscience."

Then, "Mask of Sanity" and "In Search of the Miraculous."

Then, "Political Ponerology."

That is what I would consider to be the absolutely essential list for everyone who has any desire to sort themselves out.[/quote]

My current understanding is, that one has to choose a category and read those books first who are on top. So one has to go down from the top to the bottom in each category. But which category to read first is the personal choice, or not? And that it is not recommended either to read other books while reading the books from the list.

Edit: spelling chlarification

Stranger said:
[quote author=Legolas]They are placed in a certain order (from very important to less important so to speak, in each category), when I remember it correctly. To the question itself, it depends in what you are interested in and what could be helpful in your personal lessons.

Relying on Laura's statement, this doesn't seem to be the case.

When Thorbiorn writes: "...while there will be books I shall need for further understanding and clarification, which are not on the list."

Laura answered:

[...]
[/quote]

Sorry, let me clarify I referred to the QFS booklist itself and to choose from this list other books I'm interested in.

Legolas said:
Sorry, let me clarify I referred to the QFS booklist itself and to choose from this list other books I'm interested in.

No problem, it was clear to me what you mean. I refered to Thorbiorn regarding this question. In reference to your post I wanted to say that I still don't know if there is a special reading order within the book list.

Pashalis said:
for example called "Recommended Books from the QFS in german language" or something like that ?

I second this question!

Stranger said:
Pashalis said:

I second this question!

FWIW you could create a new topic for the German board with the list and refer to this topic here.

Get your copy before it gets banned!

http://rt.com/politics/academicians-demand-elders-zion/

Back
Top Bottom