Recommended Books: Discussion

Scarlet said:
Adolanaea said:
quick question,

when will there be audio books for those unable to see, I am interested in the books from Laura and the SOTT site.

thank you

I remember reading somewhere that people downloaded and pirated copies when her work was put in audio form, but I really like this idea of audio books. I could be wrong, but I think audio books can be made to where they cannot be copied. I think Laura's works could reach so many more people so much faster if they were made into audio books and hope Laura considers this or has considered it. :)

Her work has not yet been put in audio form. You are confusing pdf form with audio form.

anart said:
Scarlet said:
Adolanaea said:
quick question,

when will there be audio books for those unable to see, I am interested in the books from Laura and the SOTT site.

thank you

I remember reading somewhere that people downloaded and pirated copies when her work was put in audio form, but I really like this idea of audio books. I could be wrong, but I think audio books can be made to where they cannot be copied. I think Laura's works could reach so many more people so much faster if they were made into audio books and hope Laura considers this or has considered it. :)

Her work has not yet been put in audio form. You are confusing pdf form with audio form.
Oh, good to know and thanks for the clarification, anart! Dear Laura, please consider putting them in audio form. They could reach so many more people, like people with visual impairments such as dyslexia or blindness and others who live busy lives, but can still listen while accomplishing tasks like house-keeping or driving.

I think that it is a good point, Scarlet.
I have been wondering about these people that work full-time, then come home to do cooking and cleaning and what have you. And EE! Listening to an audio book while washing up. That sounds great.
Also, Laura talked about different learning styles. Some people find it easier to learn by sound than by letter. And of course all these people that cannot read because of problems with the eyes. And all these people that simply cannot read well. And then I am not even talking about dyslexic people.

According to the 1993 analysis of the National Adult Literacy Survey " [n]inety-six and half percent of the American population is mediocre to illiterate where deciphering print is concerned. This is no commentary on their intelligence, but without ability to take in primary information from print and to interpret it they are at the mercy of commentators who tell them what things mean. A working definition of immaturity might include an excessive need for other people to interpret information for us."

:(

John Taylor Gatto in The Underground History of American Education (page 62).

I have four books here sitting idle (new):

Mean genes
Fulcanelli by Patrick Rivière
In Sheep's Clothing
Tertium Organum

If I can make somebody happy in The Netherlands with these books, please let me know and send me a PM.

Suggestions for inclusion on the Big List of Big Books:

Thomas Sheridan's Puzzling People
George Simon's Character Disturbance
Stephen Porges' Polyvagal Theory
Bryant Shiller's 5th Option
Norma Gedgaudas' Primal Body Primal Mind

Suggestion for additional "big 5":

Peter Levine's In An Unspoken Voice
Timothy Wilson's Redirect
Timothy Wilson's Strangers to Ourselves
Daniel Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow
David DiSalvo's What Makes Your Brain Happy and Why You Should Do the Opposite (maybe)

People seriously, how you find all those books? When I go to my library I just find twilight. Thanks anyway for the list.

Prometeo said:
People seriously, how you find all those books? When I go to my library I just find twilight. Thanks anyway for the list.

I don't know about others here but I don't bother with the library; I don't expect there would be much there about these topics.These days I download books as audiobooks or Kindle editions when available.

Prometeo said:

I have found a couple of these books, like the old narcissism big 5, at the library, but I dislike rushing through reading things.

I've had much success buying from Amazon or red pill press. I haven't tried rabbit hole publishing yet (of that is its name).

Prometeo said:

In the library I currently use, which is in Oslo, Norway, I've found Ouspensky, Eliade, Gurdjieff, Hare, and Stout, among others. It's a quite big library though, so they probably have a better selection than many others.

There's also the university library where they have a lot of the same ones, as well as a huge selection of philosophical and spiritual/religion themed books.

For those that can't be found, the Kindle is a handy little tool. A lot of the books are available for download, and if they aren't, it can be requested, or they can simply be bought on Amazon as a physical book.

Mariama said:
I think that it is a good point, Scarlet.
I have been wondering about these people that work full-time, then come home to do cooking and cleaning and what have you. And EE! Listening to an audio book while washing up. That sounds great.
Also, Laura talked about different learning styles. Some people find it easier to learn by sound than by letter. And of course all these people that cannot read because of problems with the eyes. And all these people that simply cannot read well. And then I am not even talking about dyslexic people.

Something to add to audio learning is subliminal audio--listened to when meditating, resting or sleeping. The unconsious adaptive mind picks up the subliminal teaching/words, the conscious mind hears the music or sounds. Some tapes/CD's are set to alpha waves (rhythms) such as HoloSynch. It's been awhile since I have done this however, but my thoughts went in the direction of the idea of what would be a great way to learn from Laura and company. My eyes can only take so much reading, but I don't sweat it when I don't consciously retain the info anymore. It's 'in there' when I need it! :)

SolarMother said:
Something to add to audio learning is subliminal audio--listened to when meditating, resting or sleeping. The unconsious adaptive mind picks up the subliminal teaching/words, the conscious mind hears the music or sounds. Some tapes/CD's are set to alpha waves (rhythms) such as HoloSynch. It's been awhile since I have done this however, but my thoughts went in the direction of the idea of what would be a great way to learn from Laura and company. My eyes can only take so much reading, but I don't sweat it when I don't consciously retain the info anymore. It's 'in there' when I need it! :)

Actually, if you will read the books discussed in the psychology board about the Adaptive Unconscious, you will discover that clinical trials show that subliminals are useless.

Actually, if you will read the books discussed in the psychology board about the Adaptive Unconscious, you will discover that clinical trials show that subliminals are useless.

Can the clinical trails be trusted, though? ;D

I'm having a hard time retaining information, but my way of dealing with it is to keep re reading the books. It gets in there, but it I have to work at it now. :D

SolarMother said:
My eyes can only take so much reading, but I don't sweat it when I don't consciously retain the info anymore. It's 'in there' when I need it! :)

This is also worrisome. Why would you think it is 'in there' if you can't retain it?

anart said:
SolarMother said:
My eyes can only take so much reading, but I don't sweat it when I don't consciously retain the info anymore. It's 'in there' when I need it! :)

This is also worrisome. Why would you think it is 'in there' if you can't retain it?

Because, in my experience, it always comes back to me when I need it.
Obviously, not everything can be retained consciously (I read the thread on the adaptive unconscious.)
But my understanding is that the unconscious retains everything. The Field (Universe) gives us what we need (including what we have read (knowledge) even if we don't remember it consciously) exactly when we need it--that's my take on it because it works for me in my life and I have seen it work for many others.

Gimpy said:

Can the clinical trails be trusted, though? ;D

I'm having a hard time retaining information, but my way of dealing with it is to keep re reading the books. It gets in there, but it I have to work at it now. :D

I would think that some clinical trials can be trusted, and some can't.

SolarMother said:
Because, in my experience, it always comes back to me when I need it.

Can you give an example? I ask because you consistently mix up terms and meanings in your posts on this forum. So much so, that it's usually very difficult to make heads or tails out of what it is you're trying to say.

sm said:
The Field (Universe) gives us what we need (including what we have read (knowledge) even if we don't remember it consciously) exactly when we need it--that's my take on it because it works for me in my life and I have seen it work for many others.

Again, can you give a specific example, because I've seen just the opposite regarding your posts here, and regarding what you've shared about your life.

In other words, Solar Mother, you again are waxing newage as if it is anything other than word salad. It's not.

Back
Top Bottom