Recommended Books: Discussion

liffy said:
Prometeo said:
People seriously, how you find all those books? When I go to my library I just find twilight. Thanks anyway for the list.

In the library I currently use, which is in Oslo, Norway, I've found Ouspensky, Eliade, Gurdjieff, Hare, and Stout, among others. It's a quite big library though, so they probably have a better selection than many others.

There's also the university library where they have a lot of the same ones, as well as a huge selection of philosophical and spiritual/religion themed books.

For those that can't be found, the Kindle is a handy little tool. A lot of the books are available for download, and if they aren't, it can be requested, or they can simply be bought on Amazon as a physical book.

He he, my question didn't mean about which method you use to get these books, of course I know how to get them. I meant how they actually get to spot these books, how much searching and kinda luck this would take. You know, some say the book gets to you, like if the book itself wants to be read by you and suddenly you got your attention on it. :P Just as I did with the wave, matter of luck.

SolarMother said:
But my understanding is that the unconscious retains everything.

Could someone explain me the difference between the unconscious and the subconscious, I'm confused, or are they just synonyms of each other?

Prometeo said:
He he, my question did mean about which method you use to get these books, of course I know how to get them. I meant how they actually get to spot these books, how much searching and kinda luck this would take. You know, some say the book gets to you, like if the book itself wants to be read by you and suddenly you got your attention on it. :P Just as I did with the wave, matter of luck.

It's best - if you actually want to learn - to go and get the recommended books, not wait for them to fall in your lap.

Prometeo said:
Could someone explain me the difference between the unconscious and the subconscious, I'm confused, or are they just synonyms of each other?
This has confused me also, I notice from the transcripts that the C's, whilst mentioning both (by answering 'roughly') do not give 'definitions' for each, only for one - unconscious mind - ref Session January 10, 1995. This was in reference to a question about articles by Lyssa Royal (who channels). It may pay to explore this further. Can't recall at the moment if Ra provides clarification, again may be worth exploring.

Prodigal Son said:
Prometeo said:
This has confused me also, I notice from the transcripts that the C's, whilst mentioning both (by answering 'roughly') do not give 'definitions' for each, only for one - unconscious mind - ref Session January 10, 1995. This was in reference to a question about articles by Lyssa Royal (who channels). It may pay to explore this further. Can't recall at the moment if Ra provides clarification, again may be worth exploring.

You might want to read the introductory text cited in the "Adaptive Unconscious" thread where this is discussed.

Prometeo said:
He he, my question didn't mean about which method you use to get these books, of course I know how to get them. I meant how they actually get to spot these books, how much searching and kinda luck this would take. You know, some say the book gets to you, like if the book itself wants to be read by you and suddenly you got your attention on it. :P Just as I did with the wave, matter of luck.

I used to think like that. But since that seems to not happen anymore, that long periods would pass while Im "waiting" for the right time to read the book, I got to the following conclusions:
- That used to happen because it would be the "cubic centimeter of chance". I did not know the rules of searching, so the universe gave "free samples".
- Time is short and getting shorter by the second. If I wait for the right time, perhaps in a minute from now there will be no longer a right time... or time passing for me for that matter. I could be dead a minute from now.
- In the point of learning I am, I believe its my predator/programs that urge me to wait. Now, if necessary I have to push information "down my throat" and later struggle to apply it in order for it to become knowledge.

Prometeo said:
Perhaps in the instance with The Wave, there was something deeper in you asking without the intention of receiving? What I have found though is that when one has received something, the onus is then on the individual to Do - to give back. The reliance on receiving - getting without giving or giving with the expectation of getting is really a state of entropy. One only "gets" when one shows to the Universe that they not only acknowledge but respect the gift. Otherwise it amounts to little more than gluttony and neglect for the goddess' gift.

edit: clarity

anart said:
SolarMother said:
Because, in my experience, it always comes back to me when I need it.

Can you give an example? I ask because you consistently mix up terms and meanings in your posts on this forum. So much so, that it's usually very difficult to make heads or tails out of what it is you're trying to say.

sm said:
The Field (Universe) gives us what we need (including what we have read (knowledge) even if we don't remember it consciously) exactly when we need it--that's my take on it because it works for me in my life and I have seen it work for many others.

Again, can you give a specific example, because I've seen just the opposite regarding your posts here, and regarding what you've shared about your life.

In other words, Solar Mother, you again are waxing newage as if it is anything other than word salad. It's not.

Examples:
Finding the forum and the wave materials--this knowledge and info is already in the collective unconscious/Field. I resonated with it.

Books do come to me, as well as I go get them. Works both ways.

Just yesterday I recalled something, when a discussion came up, that I had read in a book quite awhile ago. The info was there when I needed it. It had to do with an organization's name and place.

Mr.A and I regularly 'find' clients for our solar business through our intuition. This involves going to the right neighborhoods and talking to home owners that resonate with solar for energy vs. using dirty energy (coal.)

Opening a book to the exact page of what you are needing to remember.

Yesterday MrA and I had an appointment for a site visit. A lot of paperwork and organizing goes into this second stage. We thought we had all the info, but realized we had left the slip of paper with the guy's specific address on it at home. We knew the area, from google mapping. I had glanced at that piece of paper earlier in the day. Needing in that moment some exact info, I was able to remember what I had read on the piece of paper and the numbers of his address were right on the money.

There is nothing 'newagey' about any of this. It happens everyday. Whatever I need or need to know comes to me in that moment that I need it. I can give dozens more examples. I do not know why you call this word salad. The many books I have read on quantum physics speak of this resonance frequency speeding up in the times we live in, and it is not newagey...to me, it is science catching up to ancient wisdom and knowledge about how the cosmic plenum works.

What I shared about my life previously on this forum had to do with a flight response (fight or flight as negative feeling states due to trauma and not knowing and loving the world as it is) taken almost 5 years ago. With the help of this forum, I was able to see this flight response and correct it. And, even though we were in the midst of learning a big lesson when we were living off grid without much money, etc--we still had many experiences of having our needs met probably because we were in a position of having to learn to trust and let go of fear. It was like a 'boot camp' experience in trusting the universe to take you to the next step in that moment.

There is no reason to keep bringing this past up, since the error has been corrected, and I am currently experiencing increased stability in my life even though it is the slow season for solar. There is no reason that MrA and I will not have this flow of having all our needs met when we need it, continue to increase to the point of abundance and beyond where things were last summer and fall when solar was at it's peak season and we had a lot of money pouring in and so we were able to save money.

Gimpy said:
Actually, if you will read the books discussed in the psychology board about the Adaptive Unconscious, you will discover that clinical trials show that subliminals are useless.

Can the clinical trails be trusted, though? ;D

I'm having a hard time retaining information, but my way of dealing with it is to keep re reading the books. It gets in there, but it I have to work at it now. :D

I have the same problem. Getting time and retaining is tough. I started to getting the kindle books and use it with "kindle for PC" and you can underline , put your own comments and most of all, it gives list of underlining on the left side , so that going through again is much easier. Only problem is you need to be infront of computer for doing this unless you have a tablet or kindle and use it with out wi-fi.

SolarMother said:
Examples:
Finding the forum and the wave materials--this knowledge and info is already in the collective unconscious/Field. I resonated with it.

What does that really mean? It's newage speak. What does "I resonated with it" really mean? I'm asking this sincerely because only newagers speak that way and I think there's a reason for it. I think it is directly related to a reinforcement of ones personal illusions.

sm said:
Mr.A and I regularly 'find' clients for our solar business through our intuition. This involves going to the right neighborhoods and talking to home owners that resonate with solar for energy vs. using dirty energy (coal.)

Again, 'resonate' - what does that really mean?

sm said:
Yesterday MrA and I had an appointment for a site visit. A lot of paperwork and organizing goes into this second stage. We thought we had all the info, but realized we had left the slip of paper with the guy's specific address on it at home. We knew the area, from google mapping. I had glanced at that piece of paper earlier in the day. Needing in that moment some exact info, I was able to remember what I had read on the piece of paper and the numbers of his address were right on the money.

That's short term memory - there is nothing magical about it - nothing to do with 'the Field'.

sm said:
There is nothing 'newagey' about any of this.

Yes, there most definitely is.

sm said:
It happens everyday. Whatever I need or need to know comes to me in that moment that I need it. I can give dozens more examples. I do not know why you call this word salad. The many books I have read on quantum physics speak of this resonance frequency speeding up in the times we live in, and it is not newagey...to me, it is science catching up to ancient wisdom and knowledge about how the cosmic plenum works.

Sorry - but - again, you have an elementary understanding of many concepts and then convince yourself that you are an expert, thus you talk about it as if you know anything at all. You do it so consistently that it's blatantly obvious. It is word salad.

sm said:
There is no reason to keep bringing this past up, since the error has been corrected, and I am currently experiencing increased stability in my life even though it is the slow season for solar. There is no reason that MrA and I will not have this flow of having all our needs met when we need it, continue to increase to the point of abundance and beyond where things were last summer and fall when solar was at it's peak season and we had a lot of money pouring in and so we were able to save money.

I think that you and Mr. A will be much - much - happier on a newaqe forum. It is where you 'fit' - it is newage material that you 'resonate with' and there is no question at all that you'll be much happier there.

You see, when a person mixes and matches concepts to fit their own personal understanding, because it is what makes them feel 'good' and 'special' then they are discarding objective truth - they are using concepts to self-aggrandize. You use concepts you find here to make yourself feel better about yourself rather than using them to align with objective reality. You gather a surface understanding of only things that align with your illusions as if you're gathering nuts off the ground, then use those nuts to feed your illusions of grandeur. It is a vicious cycle and each time it is pointed out to you, you dig in your heels more deeply and dive deeper into your illusions. That is not what this forum is for.

This part is just unbeatable:

SolarMother said:
I do not know why you call this word salad. The many books I have read on quantum physics speak of this resonance frequency speeding up in the times we live in, and it is not newagey...

:shock:

SM, what do you know about quantum physics? Could you give us a few examples of those "many books on quantum physics" that you've read?

It seems SolarMother is full of assumptions, coupled with a good dosis of wishful thinking and self importance by the way.

Assumptions

The term assumption however here implies that the context is not consciously recognized as such and thus is assumed to be valid or applicable to the question at hand a priori, without review, implicitly. This is how belief systems, prejudices and false information can color thinking and lead to results which seem logical and self-consistent but are in fact opposed to external reality.

Hasty or habitual thinking, the opposite of 'thinking with a hammer,' often involves unconscious assumptions. This is necessary for efficiency in situations requiring rapid response but detrimental otherwise. Assumptions are also linked to anticipation.
As Laura say:
"There is no free lunch in the universe. And If you think there is, you are lunch"

Ana said:
As Laura say:
"There is no free lunch in the universe. And If you think there is, you are lunch"

Actually that's the thought that came to my mind too when reading SM's post. It read as if she thinks that just because she is, favorable things happen to her and come her way, with no need for extra effort and work put from her part.

It's not uncommon phenomenon: reading through Thinking Fast and Slow, the studies show that most of the population trust their intuitions too much, avoid using their mind a lot, and end up making wrong assumptions and lots of mistakes along the way. That's mechanical humanity though, that's us in general, but on this forum we are trying to become as conscious and less mechanic as is possible.

SM, all you need to do, if you really seek objectivity and truth, is take what is said to you and actually listen for once. No matter how "wrong" you think we sound, just take what we say and try to see yourself as we see you. This is the only way that you can change, if you so wish.

Perhaps a reread of "First Initiation" is in order. By applying each line to yourself, SM, you may gain clarity:

The 'First Initiation' written by Mme Jeanne de Salzmann:

You will see that in life you receive exactly what you give. Your life is the mirror of what you are. It is in your image. You are passive, blind, demanding. You take all, you accept all, without feeling any obligation. Your attitude toward the world and toward life is the attitude of one who has the right to make demands and to take, who has no need to pay or to earn. You believe that all things are your due, simply because it is you! All your blindness is there! ...

You live exclusively according to "I like" or "I don't like," you have no appreciation except for yourself. You recognize nothing above you-theoretically, logically, perhaps, but actually no. That is why you are demanding and continue to believe that everything is cheap and that you have enough in your pocket to buy everything you like. You recognize nothing above you, either outside yourself or inside. That is why, I repeat, you have no measure and live passively according to your likes and dislikes.

Yes, your "appreciation of yourself" blinds you. It is the biggest obstacle to a new life. You must be able to get over this obstacle, this threshold, before going further.

This test divides men into two kinds: the "wheat" and the "chaff." No matter how intelligent, how gifted, how brilliant a man may be, if he does not change his appreciation of himself, there will be no hope for an inner development, for a work toward self-knowledge, for a true becoming. He will remain such as he is all his life.

The first requirement, the first condition, the first test for one who wishes to work on himself is to change his appreciation of himself. He must not imagine, not simply believe or think, but see things in himself which he has never seen before, see them actually. His appreciation will never be able to change as long as he sees nothing in himself. And in order to see, he must learn to see; this is the first initiation of man into self-knowledge.

... If he sees one time he can see a second time, and if that continues he will no longer be able not to see. This is the state to be looked for, it is the aim of our observation; it is from there that the true wish will be born, the irresistible wish to become: from cold we shall become warm, vibrant; we shall be touched by our reality.

Today we have nothing but the illusion of what we are. We think too highly of ourselves. We do not respect ourselves. In order to respect myself, I have to recognize a part in myself which is above the other parts, and my attitude toward this part should bear witness to the respect that I have for it. In this way I shall respect myself. And my relations with others will be governed by the same respect.

You must understand that all the other measures - talent, education, culture, genius-are changing measures, measures of detail. The only exact measure, the only unchanging, objective real measure is the measure of inner vision. I see - I see myself - by this, you have measured. With one higher real part, you have measured another lower part, also real. And this measure, defining by itself the role of each part, will lead you to respect for yourself.

But you will see that it is not easy. And it is not cheap. You must pay dearly. For bad payers, lazy people, parasites, no hope. You must pay, pay a lot, and pay immediately, pay in advance. Pay with yourself. By sincere, conscientious, disinterested efforts. The more you are prepared to pay without economizing, without cheating, without any falsification, the more you will receive. And from that time on you will become acquainted with your nature. And you will see all the tricks, all the dishonesties that your nature resorts to in order to avoid paying hard cash. Because you have to pay with your ready-made theories, with your rooted convictions, with your prejudices, your conventions, your "I like" and "I don't like." Without bargaining, honestly, without pretending. Trying "sincerely" to see as you offer your counterfeit money.

Try for a moment to accept the idea that you are not what you believe yourself to be, that you overestimate yourself, in fact that you lie to yourself. That you always lie to yourself every moment, all day, all your life. That this lying rules you to such an extent that you cannot control it any more. You are the prey of lying. You lie, everywhere. Your relations with others - lies. The upbringing you give, the conventions - lies. Your teaching - lies. Your theories, your art- lies. Your social life, your family life - lies. And what you think of yourself - lies also.

But you never stop yourself in what you are doing or in what you are saying because you believe in yourself. You must stop inwardly and observe. Observe without preconceptions, accepting for a time this idea of lying. And if you observe in this way, paying with yourself, without self-pity, giving up all your supposed riches for a moment of reality, perhaps you will suddenly see something you have never before seen in yourself until this day.

You will see that you are different from what you think you are.

You will see that you are two.

One who is not, but takes the place and plays the role of the other. And one who is, yet so weak, so insubstantial, that he no sooner appears than he immediately disappears. He cannot endure lies. The least lie makes him faint away. He does not struggle, he does not resist, he is defeated in advance. Learn to look until you have seen the difference between your two natures, until you have seen the lies, the deception in yourself. When you have seen your two natures, that day, in yourself, the truth will be born.

Laura said:
Prodigal Son said:
Prometeo said:

You might want to read the introductory text cited in the "Adaptive Unconscious" thread where this is discussed.
Thank you Laura, even though I'd read it before, it took a couple of readings this time before I 'got it', as i couldn't find the word 'subconscious', only unconscious, then it became clear on the next reading. Just goes to show that somethings you need to read something several times before understanding dawns. Something that Gurdjieff mentioned too, I seem to recall, reading other than mechanically.

Quote from: SolarMother on Yesterday at 12:08:09 PM

Examples:

Anart:
What does that really mean? It's newage speak. What does "I resonated with it" really mean? I'm asking this sincerely because only newagers speak that way and I think there's a reason for it. I think it is directly related to a reinforcement of ones personal illusions.

Date:1800-1900
Language:Latin
Origin:, past participle of resonare; RESOUND

resonate
verb

Definition from the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
Advanced Learner's Dictionary.