Iodine and Potassium Iodide

so you're using Lugol and gave up iodine tincture? was it because of availability or you didn't notice a difference?
I still have both, but I used Lugol the last time. I felt no difference between them. I think you end up with the same thing in the end, if you are using the same type of starch. Starch makes a difference, and you should use potato starch.

I’m sure it has been noted before, but I want to reiterate that the thyroid does not function in isolation. It is part of a very complex system which includes the adrenals and pituitary also. (Hence Gaby’s initial caveat, I think). Just because there is a low iodine count does not mean supplementation is the absolute answer to “fix it” if the levels are low for other systemic reasons.
true, I don't even know where I'd get a iodine test here but anecdotally it does make a difference, that on top of keto(forced due to gut issues), exercise, abstaining from caffeine, also got back on TRT recently, a course of high dose of ivermectin now and then
the goal is to destroy pathogens and not feed them, building a healthy immune system etc
beta glucans from oat bran and some shrooms also help immune response

is it ok to fast 2-3 days with iodine? i do IF already eat very little but can fast longer no issues.
vitamin C when fasting, would not organic acids feed the bacteria we are trying to starve?

so how far apart you people dose lugol and vitamin c?

how can we test the lugol for heavy metals?

had a bottle for 5 years gotten from a lab just found out about this transcript and confirming that low doses were not productive, it brought up a cold sore which is something i don't remember having before

this week i went from 6,25 to 62,5mg 2x a day
first 3-4 days were like flu with a strong headache and tiredness that i suspect was an ammonia dump, sodium benzoate with glycine quickly solved it
I'm thinking of mixing known antiviral herbs to my protocol like EGCG which blocks the feeding mechanism of many opportunist viruses.
Moving from 6.25mg to 125mg/day within 1-week is way to fast. With Lugols (I started about 20+ years ago) using 2% I increased the dose about 1-drop per week or two (about 3mg increase per week). Occasionally I stopped for a week - plus I Celtic sea salt loaded (I also now use 20-mule Borox and sometimes Selenium).
Lugols 2% -> 1.0 mg of iodine and 2.0 mg of potassium iodide/drop
SSKI 60% -> 42mg/drop

You might get some pretty bad herxheimer (detox) reactions if you're not careful. Also make sure your body can remove the toxins and deal with the die-offs.

These days I use SSKI, I usually make my own 60%. SSKI is just the potassium iodide (not the iodine) so it's not as good that way as some organs need one and others the other BUT it is clear (won't stain like Lugols) and is tasteless.

The RDA is 150ug/day, you got to get to 15mg/day just to get the iodine to bind to lipids and proteins. BUT, most are subject to goiter-gens and wifi (5Ghz, n) is at a frequency which blocks the absorption of iodine/iodide so it would require even more. So you have to also take these and other things into account.

Everyone is unique so this isn't medical advice, for myself, I've found at over 400mg/day parasites start to die off. I've gone to 800mg/day (0.8 grams), prior to the Gates/Rockefeller takeover of natural medicine with modern chemical/surgical/radiation 'medicine' therapeutic doses supervised by a real doctor were in the gram range. For example I have old protocols on using iodine for things like smallpox.

You'll see herxheimer (detox) reactions come into play with other detox agents. I usually have up to 8 to 16oz beet juice (I juice it fresh) along with some of my homemade Kefir, and some fresh juiced carrots and apples if I have them. If you've never had beet juice don't take more then a shot-glass amount else the room will be spinning as it's a powerful detox agent.

Go slow and give the body time to remove the toxins and research as much as you can.

good reminder about 5G and iodine had overlooked that

this Herxheimer reaction sounds vague to me, used to think it was a bacterial die off releasing toxins, but it seems to be used to describe a strong immune response to viruses too

in my case low dosing brought up viral issues while feeling well, nuking doses made me feel like shit and then rapidly stabilized so i don't see how titration would be beneficial, I'm afraid infected cells would proliferate and slowly adapt hijacking different pathways, waking up whatever co-infections maybe even mutating

but yes know your enemy and use ancillary supplements as appropriate, strike it like a mortar unit that hits the target and moves on without being detected

good reminder about 5G and iodine had overlooked that

this Herxheimer reaction sounds vague to me, used to think it was a bacterial die off releasing toxins, but it seems to be used to describe a strong immune response to viruses too

in my case low dosing brought up viral issues while feeling well, nuking doses made me feel like shit and then rapidly stabilized so i don't see how titration would be beneficial, I'm afraid infected cells would proliferate and slowly adapt hijacking different pathways, waking up whatever co-infections maybe even mutating

but yes know your enemy and use ancillary supplements as appropriate, strike it like a mortar unit that hits the target and moves on without being detected
For the herxheimer reaction it might include many things: parasites, parasite eggs, various heavy metals such as mercury, cadmium, aluminum, non-beneficial bacteria and yeasts, mycoplasma, amoebas as well as halides and halogens such as Fluoride (Fl), Bromine/ide (Br) and so forth.
* Killed parasites and eggs decaying within the body cause a huge load on the immune system - it takes time to clear out.

Do you research - this includes anything used for detoxing such as cilantro or beet juice.

Some you'll pick up on - Bromine comes from a word meaning 'foul smell'. So as iodine displaces bromines/ides your urine will smell not to mention you might get bromine/ide pimples/warts (reddish warts - they go away later on).

In an older book I have on this (IODINE: Why You Need It, Author Brownstein M.D.) quite often the removal of fluorides and bromides requires many months, perhaps years. The removal of items such as fluorides can be monitored by urine tests. It's a good book, mine was from 2009 but they have newer versions you can find on Amazon.

So it depend on various factors - if you've never detoxed before then research first, then go slowly and listen to your body. If you take high doses but have never detoxed you might overload your kidneys, liver and so forth especially if they are not operating at 100%. Curezone used to be a good research resource on this.

Lastly it should be noted iodine/ide is not just used in the thyroid. Every cell in the body uses it, for cellular apoptosis for example. Amounts are secreted as well in opening such as the throat (perhaps mouth). As for the thyroid it serves many functions, one, to kill off pathogens as the blood circulates through there about 3 times a minute.

Last edited:
Some new updates from Lynne Farrow about Iodine protocol from her webpage.

Vitamin C
On The Iodine Workshop Facebook Group, we learned early on that "more vitamin C helps."
But only in the last year have we redefined "more" as to bowel tolerance, the convention of the
great Vitamin C scholars
. Vitamin C works to both add to the organs' strength and at the same
time subtract unwanted toxins, bacteria and viruses. When the organs are working better you
need less compensation nutrients. Thus, less iodine may give more benefit if maximum C is
included in your protocol. Separating Vitamin C from Iodine is not necessary but I wouldn't
suggest mixing any supplements in a glass of water in which C has been dissolved.

Yes, great Vitamin C scholars do propose big amounts of Vitamin C for everything. But I was doing some research about that, and I found several interesting articles that say that sometimes big doses of Vitamin C can actually have an inhibitory effect on many things. Among them, there are studies on iodine metabolism.

Effect of different doses of ascorbic acid on thyroid activity in rats at different levels of dietary protein intake

Rats, which can synthesize vitamin C, react similarly to graded doses of ascorbic acid as guinea pigs. Low doses of ascorbic acid stimulate and high doses inhibit the thyroid activity of rats which are supplied with normal and high percentages of protein. The stimulatory effect of low doses of ascorbic acid on hyperactive thyroid of high protein fed animals is additive. Ascorbic acid has no significant effect on the thyroid of low protein fed animals (deficient diet supplied for 21 days). In the initial stages of protein deficiency (deficient diet supplied for 11 days) the effectiveness of vitamin C on thyroid of rats was still significant. Deiodinase enzyme activity of peripheral tissues is markedly reduced in animals supplied with 2% of protein for 21 days, but this effect is less intense in animals supplied with 2% of protein for 11 days.

Effect of chronic graded doses of ascorbic acid on thyroid activity, protein bound iodine of blood and deiodinase enzyme of peripheral tissues of guinea pigs

The radioactive iodine uptake (131I), peroxidase enzyme and iodinating activity of thyroid gland have been studied after graded doses of ascorbic acid injection. The 105,000 x g supernatant of guinea pig thyroid shows significant peroxidase activity as indicated by guaiacol and potassium iodide assay but the maximum iodinating activity is located at 8,000 x g and 105,000 x g pellets. After subcutaneous injection of low doses of ascorbic acid, the 131I uptake, peroxidase enzyme, iodinating activity of thyroid increase and blood PBI decreases significantly while high dose of it inhibits thyroidal activity and increases blood PBI. The observed changes are due to stimulation and inhibition of deiodinase enzyme of peripheral tissues by low and high doses of ascorbic acid.

Effect of ascorbic acid on the pituitary-thyroid system in the rat

These changes in thyroid hormone concentrations along with the TSH changes are suggestive of an inhibitory effect of large doses of ascorbic acid on the pituitary-thyroid system. It is likely that the site of inhibition is at the pituitary or hypothalamic level. The mechanism of this inhibition cannot be determined from the data but it may be a result of increased pituitary or hypothalamic conversion of T4 to T3 with a consequently greater inhibition of TSH release.

Unfortunately, we don't know what would be the optimal dose of Vitamin C for human beings. From some other study on Vitamin D metabolism, the results showed that 1 gram was inhibitory, so I would suspect that the same case could be valid for iodine metabolism.

It is now on SOTT:

Detoxify or die! Environmental toxicity and the endocrine glands

This is interesting:

"if the daily dose of iodine was increased to over 2-3 mgs of iodine per day, within two weeks, the thyroid became saturated and no longer took up iodine in significant amounts. So a normal person who raised their daily dose of iodine above, say 3 mgs, within two weeks their thyroid was almost completely stop taking up iodine as it became saturated, but more important to the body, all of the dietary iodine now went to perform other body functions."

I was reading a paper about some interesting things happening in the thyroid after two weeks of taking iodide, and it reminded me of that detox phenomenon after two weeks that several of us experienced while taking iodine. Now, in this experiment they were using iodide, not iodine, and they were giving it to people only once per week, but the reaction in thyroid was still the same. From the paper:

After a slight rise, one week after the onset of the experiment, TT4 dropped and reached a nadir at 3 weeks. Subsequently TT4 rose again, although nothing was changed in the I administration (1 mg weekly). The phenomenon repeated itself with the regimen of 2 mg I weekly.

The cyclic shape of the curve as well as the fact that the periodical phenomenon repeats itself strongly suggest that these variations and their relationship were not found by mere chance.

I'd like to add my Iodine experience. I started taking Iodine/Iodide in the form of Lugol's in August of this year after reading ~20-50 pages of this thread along with Dr. Brownstein's Book. An interesting note, I was not able to find any "higher" percentage solutions, the highest being 5% off of JCrow's (I'm based in the US). Everything that I've found has been 2% with limit to one per customer. To be fair, I wasn't planning on taking a 12% orally, but contemplating on having it for topical use!

The cofactors came in before the Lugol's so I started those separately and the Lugol's ended up coming in the week after which worked out nicely. I started with 1 drop of 2%, twice a day (one in the morning and one shooting for just past noon) watching for side effects and increase by one drop after 3 days if no issues were seen. This included the cofactors and Vitamin C 1 hour after Lugol's. So my dosing looked like:
Right upon waking:
1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt glass of warm water

Morning (around 8AM-10AM):
1 Drop of Lugol's
200mcg Selenium
100mg Riboflavin B2
500mg Niacinamide B3
+1 hr 3000mg Vit C as Ascorbic Acid

Noon-ish:
1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt glass of warm water - missed often

Afternoon (before 4PM):
1 Drop of Lugol's
100mg Riboflavin B2
500mg Niacinamide B3
+1 hr 3000 Vit C as Ascorbic Acid

When increasing the drops, I would do for both times. 3 days was my "wait" time to see if I noticed any difference or side-effects. My plan was to get up to match 1 drop of a 12% in hopes of a bromine detox (I used to eat a LOT of bread).

It wasn't until I got up to 4 drops (8 drops total) that I realized I wasn't even aware of my physical side affects. I actually noticed my emotional side effect first. I'm not quite sure how to describe it but it was like I was easily pulled in different directions all at once. A lot of urgent project landed on my plate during work, I felt I couldn't keep up with it, even though I had done something similar just a month prior without any issues. General Law also kicked in and I got sold a set of windows for the front of my house (they look great btw).

For the physical side, my first problem, no so much a side effect issue but personal habit, I didnt have a consistent eating schedule. The only "consistent" was designated lunch during work, but with my current job, the hours are flexible which means lunch is flexible. I forget to eat often... So I was already giving myself stress of getting my diet straight when adding the above on top. In was only in recent years that I realized I can't tell the difference between hunger pains and stomach pains.

Second, I already knew I was out of touch with my body but it wasnt until the Lugol's that I realized how bad. I never got any headache, but I did get stomach issues and the loose stools. Whenever I restarted, I got slight ache on the face and cherry angioma (only found one or so), usually on my forearms but also on my chest and upper thigh.

I found whether I was on the Lugol's or not, I was having some kind of digestion issues: getting the feeling of being full easily, food not fully digesting, need to burp to relieve stomach pressure, gurgling of the lower abdomine. Reading through the different Diet and Health threads here on the forum (trying to get through the threads pinned for Detoxification), I've seen mentions of low stomach acid or ox bile as a pre-meal, so I'm looking into that now.

I've also felt really thirsty, it seemed I could never get enough water. While reading up on nutrition uptake (via fiber topic), I wonder if that's the same reason I've always felt dry. I've had dry skin as long as I can remember (not so much that it scales) but I always though it was because I never used lotion. I don't like the way it feels on my skin, but I was OK with that.

In terms of benefits, between that 6/8 drops time period, I had this acute focus. Before I had difficulties focusing on reading a book for short periods of time (30-60mins), my mind would drift. But during that time, the focus and comprehension was like when I was a kid (I used to read a lot of book and get through them quite fast). Along the same line, I didn't realize had a slight brain fog, more like a haze, which cleared up.

My periods have been so smooth. Usually, I have a pressure feeling, not quite a cramp. Like my body is holding a heavy fruit or something. This month will be the third round, so if its the same as the last two, it will be on the official benefits list!

On my ring finger (I don't remember which side), I had a skin inflammation around the cuticles which was old (~4 yrs ago) from tearing apart rotisserie chicken by hand for my dogs (now in 5D). Its completely gone! I can even see the cuticle roots again. Along with this, for some reason, only the skin around my fingers are extra shiny. I haven't seen it anywhere else yet. When I'm off of the Lugol's they dull just a bit.

During the "high" dose, my dream became more detailed with colors. I recall one specifically where everyone and everything had a thin rainbow colored outline. Nowadays, its back to my prior normal greyscale or muted colors.

Since I miss meals, I've opted to take only one batch of the Lugol's in the morning after breakfast, then the two batches of cofactors (minus Vit C), one with the breakfast and Lugol's and the second with whenever I have my second meal (I typically skip dinner) if I remember. Then before 5PM take the Vitamin C, only one of 3000mg.

My Thyroid is not as puffy(?) as it used to be (around the lower neck). It wasn't really noticeable before but I had a cousin that mention it may be a goiter, she had one with her third kid but it was significantly larger. Hers disappeared after the pregnancy but I figured I was just a little chubby. Genetics on my mom side, some fat accumulate there. This was actually the reason I had Iodine on my radar. Since the Lugol's, it hasn't been as "sensitive" if that's the right word. I used to not be able to have a blanket rest on my neckline, I'd pull it up to my chin and over my ears. It didn't hurt, it just felt unconformable. Nowadays I have no problem bundling blankets around my neck. This same cousin though I had lost weight, specifically because of my neckline (I'm still the same weight :-P).

Currently, I've been doing 4 drops once a day (I worked back up to it) in an off-and-on fashion. It takes about 4 days to start seeing symptoms regardless if I was one 1 drop or 4 (and anything in between). I changed my goal to take daily iodine/iodide as a supplement and do long term slow detox. But, I found it can take up to a week off of Lugol's before detox symptoms become manageable again (I don't have anyone that can care for me if I start detox too hard).

I might have had some kind of die-off two weeks back (the week before Thanksgiving) but I'm not too sure. It felt like the onset of a cold or flu but nothing ever came of it. I upped my vit C during that time (Lugol's dosing was the week before). I'm a hermit so I only ever go out for groceries or supplies in the early mornings and visit local family; work is remote. Noone in my local family has gotten sick yet so if it was a flu or cold, I'm not sure where I would have gotten it. It was definitely not covid as I did not lose any sense of smell (I've started lumping covid with the flu). This was before Thanksgiving so extended family mingling wasn't a thing yet.

Just before bed, I take 400mg Magnesium (oxide) with milk thistle. It's the only magnesium I could find at the time that didn't have extra crap in the ingredients. The milk thistle is in liquid form so I think it should be OK for those two together? I've been taking them almost daily but I haven't noticed any difference with the magnesium. With my digestion issues, I also would not be surprised if I'm just not uptaking it. I recently got powered Magnesium Bis-Glycinate, but I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to switch over to it.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading :)

Blast from the past, but what can you do when knowledge often get lost over time.

ON A SOLUTION OF IODINE IN OIL. -By M. MARCHAL.

This preparation has superseded the other forms of iodine at the Val-de-Grace. M. Marchal, believing that cod-liver oil owes its virtues to the small quantity of iodine which it contains, concluded that a more effective preparation of this substance than the iodide of potassium is found to be, might be made by combining it with an organic body; in which state the drug would probably be longer retained in the economy. He selected an oily body, in the hope that the oil, by forming an emulsion with the bile, would allow of the substance being digested in the small intestines, and enable the stomach to become relieved of its presence. In this way, large doses of iodine can be administered, if requisite, without irritating the latter organ; while the iodine is eliminated by the urine much more slowly than is the case with the iodide. At the same time, its absorption is made certain by the fact of its not being detected in the fæces. The iodine is dissolved in fresh almond oil as wanted, in the proportion of one part to fifteen, and of this an emulsion is made with gum tragacanth and the milk of almonds. The minimum dose is one grain, gradually increased to six grains. M. Marchal has used it extensively in the treatment of buboes and other glandular enlargements, with the best effects, in promoting and hastening their cure; M. Ricord also adds his testimony in favour of this preparation. -Gazette des Hospitaux, 1848. Monthly Journal, Aug. 1848, p. 183.

M. Bouchardat, Professor of Hygiene at the Academy of Medicine, Paris, says:

“The minute division of the iodine in cod-liver oil, the particular state in which it exists, must singularly facilitate its absorption by the tissues, and can in this way contribute more than the absolute proportion of this substance to the marked effects which this oil exerts on the animal economy.

“Also, iodine in the oil is not eliminated from the system, as the other soluble preparations of iodine: in this elementary combination its action is slower, more regular, and more persistent, as it is successively set at liberty in the economy, in proportion as cod-liver oil is gradually decomposed in the blood.”—[Manuel de Materie Medicale, page 749.—1856]

Though the quantity of iodine is very small in each dose, it acts nevertheless with a greater efficacy than a larger quantity of any of the iodides, for the reason stated by Professor Bouchardat and others, that iodine in cod-liver oil is not eliminated from the system as the other soluable preparations of iodine, but is successively deposited in the economy as the oil is gradually decomposed in the blood.

They say that lipid iodine stays for a longer time in the lymph than water-soluble iodine.

Lipiodol is gradually being replaced in many radiological techniques by injectable water-soluble products for uroangiography or unmanageable for cholecystography, which are quickly eliminated from the body. However, the exploration of the lymphatic system in humans will dramatically revive the interest in Lipiodol, which will become the product of direct lymphography.

In the 1950s, several teams of surgeons and radiologists began to take an interest in revealing the lymphatic system. In France, Lamarque, Romieu and Collin developed lymphatic exploration procedures. Kinmonth, in the United States, developed the technique of lymphography in 1954, the principle of which he defined: catheterizing a lymphatic canaliculus, after having identified it using a vital dye (in his case, Patent Blue Violet) injected into its vicinity. In 1960, this direct lymphography was done with water-soluble iodine substances (Diodone, Vasurix). But these products diffuse quickly outside the lymphatic network and do not allow opacification beyond the first lymph node relay. Lipiodol Ultra Fluid, a transesterified version of the original Lipiodol, was then proposed by Wallace in 1960. Practiced in this way, says Balmes in his thesis on lymphography, the latter “allows us to obtain magnificent radiographic images; it authorizes the exploration of lymphatic territories little known until now; it therefore brings a new element to the diagnosis and inventory of numerous conditions.”

Attachments

• The history of Lipiodol (1901-1994) or How a medication may evolve with the times.docx
    22.1 KB · Views: 2
In her book, The Iodine Crisis, Lynne Farrow talks about the difficulty of researching the history of medicine and the revolution in that research that was brought on by the internet:

In 1980, more patients were more likely to follow the status quo because medical information was monopolized by credentialed practitioners and access to medical information was limited.

By 2005, the Internet had overthrown the monopoly on medical information via a variety of resources, starting with the references at Pubmed.com, the online database of the National Library of Medicine, which became available to all.

Within a couple of years, Google digitized old medical books scanned from libraries around the world, creating a bounty for research. Old newspapers and magazines were now searchable. Such resources fueled brainstorming by patient-to-patient groups and transformed what we know about medicine.

None of the modern researches talk about lipid-bound iodine, so it seems that they are still unaware of possible differences of that version of iodine compared to the others.

Now, I've read several of those old digitized articles about lipid-bound iodine, in French, German and English language, and even though some experiments were made, they weren't very detailed, like the modern studies are, so there are no good comparisons between lipid-bound iodine and the Lugol's solution.

So, if there is a difference, we will have to discover it ourselves.

One thing that I noticed when I was experimenting with iodine is the warmth in the lungs. I couldn't find out why was that happening because it wasn't happening when I was taking a plain Lugol. But maybe I have found an answer:

Tissue distribution studies of intravenously injected [131I]Lipiodol in rats were performed, and serial whole-body autoradiograms were obtained simultaneously for seven days. Most of the radiotracer was retained in the lungs. Lung uptake reached a maximum (42.44% ID/g) at 1 day, with an effective half-life of 3.0 days. The other organs showed markedly lower uptakes (less than 0.56% ID/g). The ratio between liver and lung reached a maximum (0.01) at 3 hr and then decreased with time, precluding adequate external imaging of the liver as compared with the lung.

So it seems that most of the lipid-bound iodine is retained in the lungs.

Back
Top Bottom